• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

FAST 1 - Orlando, FL - Jul 17-20, 08 Thanks to everyone who came!!

Frames

DI
Update time:

We have succesfully obtained two venues which are booked and ready to go for FAST1. Yay :D

However, these venues have different dates booked, neither of which is the original weekend (July 18-21)

We have the Central Florida YMCA which will host July 17-20 (one day back from before)

and

the UCF Fairwinds alumni center, which will host August 8-11.

The descision we are trying to make is which place to go with. Booking the Y is cheaper rent, but we would most likely have to look into getting extra chairs and tables. UCF costs more, but they provide unlimited tables/chairs, and have cool projectors and what not. So, we have a venue, just more than one right now. We'll make a formal descison when we've weighed all the costs, but for now just know

WE HAVE A VENUEEEEEEEE!!!!!

OTRU...

Smash Champion
iight time to make some big posts up in this bia, im holding a smashfest the night before the 1st tourney date at the theater room of my apartment which is right in front of UCF (2 min away), I need mad OOS to come play at smash central aka The Noob Testament Headquarters and of course my FL homeboys as well... so ill make a thread for it whenever we have a def date.

Yo chudat are you coming with anyone else? cuz I never asked u if u just need housing for yourself or if u also need housing for ur buddies that are coming with u

C@sH Mooney

Smash Master
Update time:

We have succesfully obtained two venues which are booked and ready to go for FAST1. Yay :D

However, these venues have different dates booked, neither of which is the original weekend (July 18-21)

We have the Central Florida YMCA which will host July 17-20 (one day back from before)

and

the UCF Fairwinds alumni center, which will host August 8-11.

The descision we are trying to make is which place to go with. Booking the Y is cheaper rent, but we would most likely have to look into getting extra chairs and tables. UCF costs more, but they provide unlimited tables/chairs, and have cool projectors and what not. So, we have a venue, just more than one right now. We'll make a formal descison when we've weighed all the costs, but for now just know

WE HAVE A VENUEEEEEEEE!!!!!
how much more exactly does UCF cost?

UltimateShinigami

Smash Journeyman
Currently in da StL, but home in Ft Lauderdale eve
ok, so by holding this smashfest, are you saying that you've decided on july?
If no, take note that the anime convention Metrocon will be on the same weekend as the july date and i can't speak for anyone else here, but about half of my crew refuses to miss that. August would allow every1 to go to both, although it is later than everyone (including myself) would prefer.

However, I'd rather go to two fun events w/ smash than having to choose between the two. Remember, with me, comes about 10 others, which means more prize money

SamDvds

Smash Ace
i vote for july. florida heat in august is not something i wanna be in..especially with a room full of sweaty ppl.

Handorin

Smash Hero
Cold is better. You can always get warmer and it helps supress smells (kinda).

Hot sucks because it's hard to cool down and it makes you sweat and smell.

Frames

DI
Okay so after intense deliberation, we have decided to go with the July date, making the final dates for the tournament as follows:

Thursday July 17, 2008 - Sunday July 20, 2008

which will take place at the Central Florida YMCA

814 W. Oak Ridge Road
Orlando, FL 32809

So, now that this is official, make sure to tell all your friends/relatives/random strangers, that the place to be this summer is FL for FAST 1!

EDIT: I will update the first post later tonight with more detailed venue info, not to mention i haven't updated the pre-reg list in a long time lol.

festizzio

Smash Champion
Ok so me and possibly one other person need housing for wednesday night through sunday night, as well as rides to and from the airport/venue. We could pay gas, housing expenses, w/e as long as it's reasonable. :)

Oh yeah forgot to say, I'm crazy good with pikachu and he's really good with GaW. So it's really in your benefit to house us. :D

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Yay July! I will now represent myself as the best pikachu in brawl besides anther and i challenge hugs, whoever does better in the tournament is the best samus every in melee!!

dsoli

Smash Rookie
So if the new dates are 17th thru 20th, does that mean that melee will be on thursday and friday (17th and 18th), while brawl will be on saturday and sunday (19th and 20th)?

dsoli

Smash Rookie
IMPORTANT QUESTION: You state in original post that singles for either melee or brawl will start on a specific day. However, you also say that they will start on that day only if they have not started the day before. Can we make a definite time that they will start?
For example, I am only interested in brawl singles, and you say that they will start on the 21st (in the origninal post, I know dates have changed). Right after that, you say that they will start the day before if doubles finishes early. Is there anyway that we can create a set time for an event to start so that people like me don't have to come down a day early "incase" their event may start early?

p.s. I am down for some serious N64 smash if anyone else is. I'll bring my 64 just incase...

Frames

DI
So if the new dates are 17th thru 20th, does that mean that melee will be on thursday and friday (17th and 18th), while brawl will be on saturday and sunday (19th and 20th)?
Yes.

IMPORTANT QUESTION: You state in original post that singles for either melee or brawl will start on a specific day. However, you also say that they will start on that day only if they have not started the day before. Can we make a definite time that they will start?
For example, I am only interested in brawl singles, and you say that they will start on the 21st (in the origninal post, I know dates have changed). Right after that, you say that they will start the day before if doubles finishes early. Is there anyway that we can create a set time for an event to start so that people like me don't have to come down a day early "incase" their event may start early?

p.s. I am down for some serious N64 smash if anyone else is. I'll bring my 64 just incase...
Uh well to be honest i can't really give an accurate time figure until we get an idea of how many people are coming/how many setups we'll have. Those two things will completely determine when we start events or not. The only time we won't do split events is on friday, we won't start brawl anything on a melee day. If we have enough setups where i think we can do it in one day, then we most likely will, but if we have extra time at the end of the day before and i think it could run over, i'm definitely going to start it early.

dsoli

Smash Rookie
I see. Well if there is any way that you could be sure of the start times, maybe as the event gets closer, I'd really appreciate it. I'm just coming from Jacksonville and am trying to do this without having to pay to spend the night somewhere.

On that note, is there anyone that can house me? To anyone willing: In exchange for letting me stay at your place, I'll pay for all of your brawl entry fees (singles and doubles) if you beat me 1v1 in brawl. I'll only need to stay Saturday night.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
This looks great, I will try to go to this.

This will be my first tournament so I don't know how they usually work, or how close this is to a normal one, but I would like to know if the matches will be recorded or is that up to us?

No matter what I will try to show up at least for Brawl Singles, maybe Melee Singles.

Frames

DI
oh em gee, i didn't think wobbling would be such an issue for you guys, i understand if you have a prior commitment but using wobbling as an excuse is just ridiculous.

edit- ok i came off sounding pretty harsh, i'm sorry, it's just i think that it should be banned is all, and i don't want to see people not come because of the rules, though it looks like that might happen anyways. :ohwell:

Frames

DI
Well, it's partly a personal thing, i don't like the tactic myself, plus its one less thing i would have to worry about.

However, it is irregardless.

I remember when i first had this idea for this tournament, people said I would need to make more compromises at first then if i had run other successful tournaments of this size. As a relatively unknown player, I can't rely on a reputation as an excellent host to bring in people, since I don't really have one yet. I want to make this the best experience possible, and I want all those people on the list to come along with many more, so I guess I'll allow wobbling, up until it is considered stalling the match, in which case that person would face the consequences.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Good stuff. I am glad you unbanned wobbling. Smart decision :).

SamDvds

Smash Ace
if u allow wobbling u should allow pausing the game to get out of it >.>

Handorin

Smash Hero
A lot of people from my area dont want to go. I dont know what Im going to do. =(

Top Bottom