• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falcon Moveset Discussion: summaries coming soon

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
Remember that in Brawl nearly all combos are escapable, because of this I consider Falcon nair a poor move in Brawl like most of his moves.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Remember that in Brawl nearly all combos are escapable, because of this I consider Falcon nair a poor move in Brawl like most of his moves.
The thing is, his N-air has very little landing lag. Your opponent can escape, temporarily. Great. But at least you're not stuck vulnerable in landing lag afterwards.

That way, after hitting someone with N-air1, you limit your opponent's options to:
- Double jump after N-air hit (more vulnerable than a regular jump)
- Falling to the ground (you can catch with another move)
- Trying a quick aerial (some characters only - also, some risk landing lag)

LuLLo

Smash Ace
Compared to other moves and taking into account that Falcon sucks, he needs these psuedo combo's to twist situations to his favor a bit, and like Tenki said, it limits your opponents options severely, they can only double jump, fall+shield (not recommended) and some can do an attack, like Marth, MK and others. Characters like Ike and many with slow aerial moves get destroyed by this setup (''Destroyed'' in this sentence means ''you land a string of moves''), so this is not a bad move at all, it's just hard to land one.

talkingbeatles

Smash Ace
I love nair a lot. But we have a shaky past. I started off really digging this move. (I tend to love all nairs.) Then I thought the move sucked because it was hard to hit with, and I would always try to approach with it.

Then though, I realized it was awesome. This came largely from me changing my play style up. I started playing defensively, (all passive aggressive like), and using nair when I saw openings, rather then approach with it. The landing lag is like non existent too, show I like to jump around the stage throwing out nairs and bairs.

Plus... have you guys ever killed with a second hit nair, offstage? It feels sooo good.

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
Compared to other moves and taking into account that Falcon sucks, he needs these psuedo combo's to twist situations to his favor a bit, and like Tenki said, it limits your opponents options severely, they can only double jump, fall+shield (not recommended) and some can do an attack, like Marth, MK and others. Characters like Ike and many with slow aerial moves get destroyed by this setup (''Destroyed'' in this sentence means ''you land a string of moves''), so this is not a bad move at all, it's just hard to land one.
Even those with slow aerials can still escape by air dodging.

F5Hazardousdoc

Smash Ace
Even those with slow aerials can still escape by air dodging.
Falcon's aerials end fast enough to punish airdodges. Nair > uair will sweep away airdodgers if you're trying in the air. If they airdodge into the ground to avoid a quick dropped single hit nair... Well thats STUPID and you get a free Jab > grab

Nair is a GREAT MOVE, I've been conditioning myself to try and always land with one or with a bair/airdodge. Its alot safer than plain landing, I've even knocked some projectiles away trying to intercept my landing.

t3h n00b

Smash Ace
First hit nair combos (as in, inescapable) to jab, grab, and Falcon Dive because of the hitstun and set knockback. Here, Rebaz has a video of it if you want to see what I mean.

Plus... have you guys ever killed with a second hit nair, offstage? It feels sooo good.
Seconded :)

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
Looks have some usefulness but not in the Melee way. Can Melee nair combo be used in Brawl+?

FAILchion-

OH HE'S SO PRINGLES
The Final Countdown is now playing in your head.
N-Air. <33 Man, what doesn't it do. Easily leads into other moves, decent knockback, fairly good priority, and the first hit leads into a grab very easily. Not much to go into this move, but it's just overall great and very efficient. Use this move. 7/10.

t3h n00b

Smash Ace
Looks have some usefulness but not in the Melee way. Can Melee nair combo be used in Brawl+?
It's useful in the Brawl way. It would probably work in Brawl+ because of the increased hitstun, but ask in the Brawl+ thread if you want people who know more about it.

Skip2MaLoo

Smash Lord
nair is perfect for spacing, and good to throw in single hit nairs into your jab game (at least for me)

Wogrim

Smash Lord
May have been a fluke, but the CPU autocancelled NAir against me a couple weeks back and Falon's body area of the first hit seemed to shield poke me quite well.

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
Nair
Recommended usage: Middle/approach - Middle/punishing
Uses:
- As this move autocancels, being punished for this move is minimized when SH'd.
- the first hit of the Nair sets up for some (kill) combo's. And as the first hit Nair has set knockback, these combos work at all percents, making it quite usable as a punish move (to start said combo's).
- Nair is a decent approach as it combos into jabs.
- ledgehopped it can be used to punish edgeguarders edgeguarding, and as this move autocancels, it is safer to use when ledgehopped than falcons Fair.
Frame data:
Combo's including Nair:
First hit Nair>up b (does good damage, recommended).
First hit Nair>sweet fair (only works on floaties, recommended when you get the chance)
First hit Nair>dair (only works on floaties, recommended when you get the chance)
First hit Nair>jabs (recommended along with first hit Nair>up b.)
Other info:
Nair is a decent approach, and a good punishing move due to the combo's it sets up for.
:pimp::pimp:

Player-3

Smash Hero
N-Air. <33 Man, what doesn't it do. Easily leads into other moves, decent knockback, fairly good priority, and the first hit leads into a grab very easily. Not much to go into this move, but it's just overall great and very efficient. Use this move. 7/10.
Falcon's aerials end fast enough to punish airdodges. Nair > uair will sweep away airdodgers if you're trying in the air. If they airdodge into the ground to avoid a quick dropped single hit nair... Well thats STUPID and you get a free Jab > grab

Nair is a GREAT MOVE, I've been conditioning myself to try and always land with one or with a bair/airdodge. Its alot safer than plain landing, I've even knocked some projectiles away trying to intercept my landing.
Agreed

10chas

Smash Apprentice
Its priority is even worse than his other aerials.

I don't know why you all think that Nair is this great, only positive things I see are those few "combos" you can do with it, but the contras are just worse:
-low priority
-low damage
-low range
-can easily be shieldgrabbed
Also I've never fought anybody who'd just let me Nair him, because most characters can simply do any move to break through it.

The really tiny landing lag is of course good, but Bair/Uair are a better option nearly everytime.
The only purpose I see is to to gimp people, because they will expect to just knee or something and therefore airdodge but then will get hit into their faces by that second kick.
Also the second kick's knockback is mysteriously high on low-mid percentages.

Player-3

Smash Hero

I don't know why you all think that Nair is this great, only positive things I see are those few "combos" you can do with it, but the contras are just worse:
-low priority
-low damage
-low range
Also I've never fought anybody who'd just let me Nair him, because most characters can simply do any move to break through it.

The really tiny landing lag is of course good, but Bair/Uair are a better option nearly everytime.
The only purpose I see is to to gimp people, because they will expect to just knee or something and therefore airdodge but then will get hit into their faces by that second kick.
O__o?
wut>?

i love nair

t3h n00b

Smash Ace

-low priority
-low damage
-low range

Most of Falcon's other aerials have good priority. Anyway, pretty much all of Falcon is a hitbox during nair, and its horizontal range is really good for Falcon. If you're getting shieldgrabbed, try aiming to hit with his torso while jumping over your opponent. You can pivot jab afterwards too.

FAILchion-

OH HE'S SO PRINGLES
The Final Countdown is now playing in your head.

-low priority
-low damage
-low range

This move could do 0% in total and I'd still love it. A lot of Capt. Falcon's moves have low range, and he himself is easily shieldgrabbed.

And I find N-Air a lot more useful than B-Air, tbh.

Red-Blue

Was selected randomly
Just throwing it out there, N-Air makes me cream in Brawl+. Leads into F-Air soooo goooood.
play melee
INTOLERANCE. C'mon, he's not screaming 'play Brawl+!'

-low priority
-low damage
-low range

Oh Ville, silly *******.

pure_awesome

Smash Lord
I'm curious as to why people keep saying that Nair has low/medium/good priority, when the way I understood it, aerials don't have priority.

What's the dilly?

pure_awesome

Smash Lord
...then when noob says that Falcon's other aerials have good priority, wouldn't that mean he's implying that they're made of swords?

'Cuz that'd be cool.

t3h n00b

Smash Ace
Priority only matters on the ground, but it affects aerials hitting the opponent's ground attacks. Anyway, one of the main reasons people cite as why Falcon is bad is lack of priority, when that's really not true. I'm not saying he has great priority, but bair and fair aren't going to be beaten out by many ground moves. Swords and other disjointed hitboxes (this is Falcon's problem, all of the limbs he extends become closer hitboxes) also have certain priorities, but they don't matter if the opponent can't even reach the sword user's hurtbox because of the range of the sword. I hope that makes sense. Anyway, uair is next, I'll put the data in the OP.

Ayaz18

Smash Champion
don't hate on Nair

it's Falcon's only muti hit move, so it's good for punishing air dodges.

Everyone talks smack about it's priority, but the properties of this move are VERY useful.

t3h n00b

Smash Ace
Uair uair uair uair works for me as well. Uair is too good. I think we should use it so much it gets stale and chains better like TL's bair. But seriously, everyone should use this all the time.

Darxmarth23

Smash Champion
It covers a lot of range above, and behind you. RAR fullhoped Uair off stage is a 'safe' option for a kill.

Uair has great knockback. Priority isn't amaxing. Hitbox and hurtbox are the same.

Skip2MaLoo

Smash Lord
full hop bair/uair leaves enough time to do an aerial raptor boost. not exactly useful but its just there and letting it be known.

F5Hazardousdoc

Smash Ace
uair's great, another amazing move. I try to keep mine somewhat fresh for a KO though, because its very effective like that.

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
Ganon's up air is better due to more power and priority, but CF's is also one of the better moves for edge-guarding.

talkingbeatles

Smash Ace
Uair is amazing. It's what I get most of my kills with. Those super sexy long legs will hit anything.

I love jumping off a stage backwards, and uair "spiking" people. Fun stuff.

Top Bottom