• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falcon Moveset Discussion: summaries coming soon

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
Meteor Smash and Spike is the same in Brawl but not Melee. Real Spikes do not exist but because characters must wait to cancel an attack it's still like a Spike.

t3h n00b

Smash Ace
No, most downward-hitting moves in Melee were meteor smashes. Only five were actual spikes- Falco's dair, the tip of Marth's dair, Falcon's dair near his nipples, Ganondorf's wizard's kick during the beginning I think, and Roy's foot during his upsmash. Anyway, I know that there aren't any spikes in Brawl, meteor smash does not sound cool though. But what about his dair "gimping"? I'm pretty sure it only has two hitboxes, each with a lot of knockback.

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
Ganon's spike in Melee spikes whenever it connects unlike Brawl (in PAL at least). Melee Marth's dair is not a spike, it's a meteor in my version (very very very very ironic and unfair difference). There are only 4 spikes in PAL Melee.

But in Brawl Meteor and Spike is the same because Spikes/Meteors are still impossible to cancel at high % .

Player-3

Smash Hero
Ganon's spike in Melee spikes whenever it connects unlike Brawl (in PAL at least). Melee Marth's dair is not a spike, it's a meteor in my version (very very very very ironic and unfair difference). There are only 4 spikes in PAL Melee.

But in Brawl Meteor and Spike is the same because Spikes/Meteors are still impossible to cancel at high % .
your wrong

Wogrim

Smash Lord
I find DAir very hard to space and time offstage, so I usually miss the spike and the launch often gets airdodged (if they're high enough that airdodging is safe). Onstage it's pretty useful against defensive players, but the startup makes it pretty useless against aggressive players.

Skip2MaLoo

Smash Lord
I find DAir very hard to space and time offstage, so I usually miss the spike and the launch often gets airdodged (if they're high enough that airdodging is safe). Onstage it's pretty useful against defensive players, but the startup makes it pretty useless against aggressive players.
air dodging chasing is probably the only competitive aspect of brawl. just read/predict the airdodge ;D

Iwan

Smash Ace
I like using Dair to punish a baited Up Smash when I'm above someone.

Scenario: Above my opponent, fall towards them, bait Up smash from them, DJ to avoid it>>>>Dair.

Rarely though.

I also use it OoS every now and then at high-ish-er percents. lol. Dair into Knee works wonders every so often.

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
Dair is also part of a grab release damage racking on Wario, but situational due Falcon's tiny grab range and Wario is an ''ungrabbable'' character.

talkingbeatles

Smash Ace
Ah... dair. The move I throw around a lot, but never hit with. It's cool because you can spike or nipple launch... that's good. Also, AC-able. So that's a plus. Um, combos in to knees and stuff... awesome!
Yeah, dair is a pretty awesome move.

t3h n00b

Smash Ace
All right, I guess the last move to do is dash attack. Umm, good to get people up in the air, like grounded Raptor Boost with less lag but less range obviously. Dash attacking into a shielding opponent is the best way to get grabbed, but it is often useful to hit opponents that are about to land. Does anyone have anything to add? After this move is done, I'm going to try to get summaries up, then take a break from the thread for a few days. Maybe it could be used for other discussions in the future as well.

Roager

Smash Ace
Dash attack, for me, is actually a pretty important move. Number one, people often don't see it coming, and don't know what to do about it. Number 2, it's one of the easiest moves to use as a punishment on lag. Especially against swordy characters, like Marth or Ike. You move out of the hitbox, then dash attack for the punishment.

It's altogether not much of a good attack, though. It helps refresh, and has a good trajectory, but all in all it just doesn't pack much punch. Though, if your opponent reflexively airdodges after getting hit, then you can follow up with any aerial, which is particularly useful at kill percents. Dash attack punishes lag, Knee punishes airdodge.

Granted, the move is next to useless against an opponent that has little lag and knows how to handle the attack.

Still, not a move to be ignored in general.

eRonin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
eRonin
3DS FC
3969-5180-1975
I must never ever use dash attack. All my friends have this inane ability to grab me out of it every single time. It's laggy and has short range unlike some other dash attacks, and you have zero chance to not be shieldgrabbed...
Even as a punisher you're better off even with hyphen smash, or any aerial ff'd.

Sukai

Smash Champion
The keen essential punishing move, quick, two decent hitboxes.

One hitbox combos into an up air at certain percentages.
Definitely not a good approaching move, but is decent for punishing and getting in your opponent's face.

Not much to say about that. It's not the best move, but it's certainly not the worst.
I approve.

talkingbeatles

Smash Ace
Yeah, I love the dash attack. I'll approach with it sometimes, I'll punishing rolling, I'll punish lag. Also, it gets people in the air, and as we all know, that is crucial for Falcon. At low percents against heavy characters, you can sometimes do a pseudo combo that goes something along the lines of dash>dash or dash>fsmash or dash>dsmash, or whatever. It works on people I play, sometimes.

t3h n00b

Smash Ace
Lol, Falcon Punch when someone misses a rest near you. Hopefully they're close if they even attempt it. But if you're having trouble getting your dash attack shieldgrabbed consistently, pivot grabbing can be very useful. Especially at lower percents where you're just trying to keep hitting your opponent, an up throw can easily lead to uairs or Falcon Dive if your opponent doesnt fly far enough away, not many characters have good dairs.

Edit- your link has brought meaning to my life.

LuLLo

Smash Ace
Falcons dash attack is by no means a bad move, but at the same time theres always a better option IMO
Can you tell me what better option there is to punish someone who missed a tech and you just have enough time to shove in a Splash Attack? No? Okay...

t3h n00b

Smash Ace
Can you tell me what better option there is to punish someone who missed a tech and you just have enough time to shove in a Splash Attack? No? Okay...
Splash attack :D Yeah, some things can only be punished by a dash grab or dash attack.

Thanks for all the input guys, I'm going to try and finish my summaries of the moves in a day or two, and update the OP with all of them. Umm, all the moves are done, but if anyone has something to add on one of the moves, feel free to post.

Winnar

Smash Lord
Splash attack :D Yeah, some things can only be punished by a dash grab or dash attack.

Thanks for all the input guys, I'm going to try and finish my summaries of the moves in a day or two, and update the OP with all of them. Umm, all the moves are done, but if anyone has something to add on one of the moves, feel free to post.
OH YEAH YOU FORGOT PUMMEL

AND LEDGE GET UP ATTACK BEFORE 100%

AND LEDGE GET UP ATTACK AFTER 100%

AND STAND UP ATTACK FACING LEFT

AND STAND UP

etc

Also congrats on being one of the first on the Falcon Boards to complete a community based thread :D

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
Will there ever be any summaries here? I think the creator of the thread hasn't been in SWF for like 2 months.

Ramzehz

Smash Rookie
Will there ever be any summaries here? I think the creator of the thread hasn't been in SWF for like 2 months.
Dude, 5 months. You should've just let it rest. And to be honest, I don't think we'll ever get any summaries here.

Top Bottom