• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Falco, King of the Birds: Game Play Discussion

ILOVESMASH

Smash Ace
NNID
Marioman123450
3DS FC
3368-1022-7382
This is probably already known, but I tried Falco's up throw vs Kirby(127%) and the last laser that hit KOed him.

Last edited:

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
SHDL with a ray gun is lagless, just thought I'd mention that as a hark back to n old friend.

:(

Legend Vermillion

Spanish Brawl Competitive Player
We will discuss it in the matchup post later but I would want to know some tips about Falco vs Yoshi matchup. Im having a lot of trouble fighting the dinosaur, insane damage, he is quick, nice combos ... Can someone help me a little with this MU? :p

iLLuMinati_EYE

Smash Apprentice
im having a lot of trouble against rosalina it seems like she has every option covered especially with luma attacking from anywhere on the screen any tips?

ArhyLis

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AstralRaptor
3DS FC
5069-4138-6092
What do you guys think of Falco's gimping/off stage abilities? Isn't it... amazing?

mistermoo33

Smash Rookie
What do you guys think of Falco's gimping/off stage abilities? Isn't it... amazing?
You can't seem to escape his f-air anymore so you can basically destroy people if you catch them with it while fast falling offstage. Have killed myself a number of times trying to do this though. Seems better than d-air honestly.

ArhyLis

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AstralRaptor
3DS FC
5069-4138-6092
You can't seem to escape his f-air anymore so you can basically destroy people if you catch them with it while fast falling offstage. Have killed myself a number of times trying to do this though. Seems better than d-air honestly.
Yeah, it's really risky, but the reward is great.

Onehandbackhand

Smash Rookie
NNID
Onehandbackhand
3DS FC
2509-1972-0710
Falco's DACUS is not the same as in Brawl. It's about one or two steps from a regular dashing up smash. I don't know the buffering mechanics in this game and I don't know where to get that information from so there may still be hope for BDACUS.

Legend Vermillion

Falco's DACUS is not the same as in Brawl. It's about one or two steps from a regular dashing up smash. I don't know the buffering mechanics in this game and I don't know where to get that information from so there may still be hope for BDACUS.
Has been confirmed/disconfirmed Falco´s DACUS in this game? I only know about Sheik but dont know if exists more info about DACUS on other characters.

NNID
CRQ-L-07
3DS FC
4854-6608-1552
So, how has everybody been approaching with Falco? I like to either dash attack or run in and jab, though there are probably better options. What else is there?

ArhyLis

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AstralRaptor
3DS FC
5069-4138-6092
So, how has everybody been approaching with Falco? I like to either dash attack or run in and jab, though there are probably better options. What else is there?
Here's some of my approaches. Approaching with shuffled Bairs is great, since the move has like no landing lag. Personally, I think the phantasm works well too, cept you have to short hop it like in brawl to have less recovery.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
So I really wanted to get my thoughts out there, and I think it needs to be accompanied by a video. It's rough gameplay, definitely not perfect/optimal and it was on wifi (with someone I play with regularly, definitely hurt a little but not significantly), and when it comes to side-b my usages are dubious (and I don't think the "strong" hitbox is worth it, it doesn't kill Bowser at 175%, when even up tilt will destroy him), but anyway~

I think two of Falco's custom specials stand out, the Void Reflector (3) and the Explosive Blaster (2) laser variation. I made multiple realisations playing through those two (for almost the first time) today after brainstorming a bit after my last sesh (that was local play) on Sunday. They synergise very very well, like I'm 100% sure they were designed to complement each other. Both the reflector and laser have the same range, and "frame trap" between each other as well. This is the only laser we have that gives a semblance of frame advantage, and I could see scenarios where I'm getting guaranteed dash attacks or perhaps even some aerials from it.

Among other things I noticed that changing Falco's laser special also changes how his throws work: Up throw, back throw and down throw... In particular the explosive blaster seem to keep the knockback on these moves a lot lower. You'll notice this considerably with back throw, which becomes almost a set knock back move. Down Throw almost looks to be placing people in the position to be chain grabbed (if regrabs were possible) and combos into up smash from a little bit above 0% (like 5) on medium weights further testing is needed.
Using this laser removes the inconsistencies within his grab game.

Also another cool effect of this laser is the huge windbox it has. It only has damages/flinches at its max range in that explosion effect, but the shot it fires has a potent windbox. There are definitely ways to use that. It pushes people back on the ground which is a nice touch.

The void reflector is fantastic. 9% base damage, high base knock back so it's safe at every percent, transcended priority, HUGE range and puts them in a really great position for control. It's laggier, and hence not to be misused or spammed (I throw it out a little liberally and not in the right scenarios to do so).

So how do you play Falco?
Ground game. Great walk speed, great initial dash, great back and forward roll.
Great dash attack, amazing jab, amazing down tilt, great forward tilt, great up tilt.
I'm a fast boxing character, with a unique mid range zoning that is yet to be fully accentuated/explored. I play ground to air and air to ground transitions quickly and frequently. You don't flail around in the air, it is not a neutral position for Falco, however using it as a means of moving around/being evasive in safe positions (and by fast falling and buffering) is good. Falco's jump heights and speed are beyond amazing. Yes we have abysmal horizontal aerial mobility, but I don't think many characters have the vertical accelerations that we can achieve. You must learn to space vertically with your jumps and horizontally with your walks and dash rolls.
Getting the kill is really complicated, still. But I think the idea is there. We force people towards the ledge and trap them there. Enemies getting hit by Falco's forward air off stage, or up air in the sky, or back air anywhere is deadly, so we play a mixture of dominating CQC and pokey mid-range actions until we get an opportunity to hit them with something that will finish them. We shouldn't ever over commit to go for that though; don't double jump into someone's fast fall neutral air or down air because you wanted to hit back air. Don't go so deep with the forward air that you cannot get back; the move is already really easy in hitting people coming in from off stage as it is.

His jumps/fast falls and forward air (primarily) are godly for catching people off stage, and on some lighter characters that can be getting the kill at around 120%.
For Up and Side Special it is pretty important that you pick something that allows you to get back to the stage alive. Falco being able to go deeper than he ever could off stage is a fantastic "buff". I go for the slower Up-B with a larger hitbox due to its close to double length and "safety" that hitbox provides, however you drop like a rock, so you have to angle things well/properly. Default Side-B is probably my preference right now, as I do like the idea of having a hitbox, but the invincible one will allow us to cut through people throwing out projectiles and **** to kill us and get out of juggle traps a little easier.
Oh yeah, as I mentioned, Falco's horizontal aerial mobility is ass and the air isn't a neutral position. If you're in the air and the opponent is in the advantage position, you do whatever it takes to get the **** out of there. You really cannot mix up fast fall air dodges or reliably get through with fast fall nair or down air. Use Side-B to get the **** out, hold your jump for as long as possible if necessary to guarantee the escape. You can even afford to choose to go off stage due to it not putting us in free fall.

Last edited:

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
So did they completely remove the ability to shorten the Illusion/Phantasm distance for Fox and Falco in this game cause I haven't seen anyone did it yet when I watch Fox/Falco matches?

Onehandbackhand

Smash Rookie
NNID
Onehandbackhand
3DS FC
2509-1972-0710
Has been confirmed/disconfirmed Falco´s DACUS in this game? I only know about Sheik but dont know if exists more info about DACUS on other characters.
You can confirm who has a DACUS by going into training mode, setting the speed to 1/4 and doing a dash attack then do the up smash. Falco has it but it's not worth it if you ask me. Shiek, Robin, Shulk, Rosalina, and Wario have DACUS' worth using at this point. I don't know if the Wii U version will have different mechanics due to the limitations of the current 3ds but hopefully Sakurai will listen to the competitive smashers for patches.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
I was messing around with Fox and his Impact Blaster and found a cool but iffy setup consisting of bthrow > laser which forces a get up on at least Falco and Dedede at 0% if they don't tech. I tried to replicate it with Falco and his normal blaster and it's kinda there. Right off the bat you can do dthrow > 3 lasers (kinda like a bad laser lock since the 4th always gets the opponent right back up without any lag) but you gotta delay the lasers and the opponent has to not tech or double jump. Around 40%ish fthrow works and you don't have to delay the lasers at all. I only tested it on a level 8 Dedede and there's all kinds of problems with it such as the normal blaster possibly having too much end lag for follow ups, Falco having better blaster options and possible vectoring along with the opponent being required to not tech or double jump or any aerial for that matter.

I don't know, doesn't seem as great on Falco compared to Fox but it's there.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Do you guys still IAP? I find its still perfectly doable in this game.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Does it still have transcended priority + disjoints in front of him or whatever with it? I just haven't been in the habit of using it because I'm never really thinking "i'll punish their shield drop from 1/3rd FD away with THIS, HA HA!" as it hasn't felt as reliably to hit people with as it once was?

It could actually be a relatively good out of shield option for us this game though.

Last edited:

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Well it wasn't just to cause damage, it was a good tool for resetting spacing. I haven't actually tested it properly because I don't really main Falco anymore, and while I get the sense that iit's not quite as good as Brawl, I do think it has some use.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
What are the advantages for IAP apart from more range?

Also it seems like D-Throw to Up-Smash and Up-Throw to Up-Air aren't exactly combos but just barely not combos (if the opponent VI's away). It seems I can get if off on opponents who don't try to react out of the throw but most people try to jump and manage to do it right before I hit them. Am I doing it wrong?

rolrctermaniac

Smash Apprentice
On the topic of IAP and side-b in general. Anyone else frustrated with the nerf to the hitbox? that is, the nerf where it ends a significant distance before the end of the move kinda described below.
x = hitbox, - = no hitbox
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-------

IAP -> Bair is so good but there is a really tight spacing now to get it to work.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Apologies for my lack of knowledge but what's IAP? I'm guessing Instant Aerial Phantasm but I'm not 100% sure. Never really got into Falco in Melee or Brawl. If it is what I'm thinking of, isn't the only benefit less ending and or starting lag? Also because of the way Phantasm works in this game, an aerial one wouldn't stop at the edge like a grounded one does. 'Course I could be totally off on this whole IAP thing '-';

Legend Vermillion

Apologies for my lack of knowledge but what's IAP? I'm guessing Instant Aerial Phantasm but I'm not 100% sure. Never really got into Falco in Melee or Brawl. If it is what I'm thinking of, isn't the only benefit less ending and or starting lag? Also because of the way Phantasm works in this game, an aerial one wouldn't stop at the edge like a grounded one does. 'Course I could be totally off on this whole IAP thing '-';
Yeah, mate. IAP is Instant Aerial Phantasm. In Brawl it removed the ending lag of the move but in SSB4 I think its much more useless :/ Anyway, yep, if you IAP, you wont stop at the edge of platforms, that can help you in some situations.

http://smashboards.com/threads/falco-approaches-and-combos-strings.372417/

:p

Last edited by a moderator:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
^ I feel like this was really obvious to me.
I guess because I just knew/understood how the game works from the get go?
Day 1 observation was that air dodges have auto cancel frames after you can act out of them and any technical brawl player knew about auto cancels on aerials before they come out due to Platform cancelling.

It wasn't even discovered by DeLux either.

Last edited:
NNID
CRQ-L-07
3DS FC
4854-6608-1552
^ I feel like this was really obvious to me.
I guess because I just knew/understood how the game works from the get go?
Day 1 observation was that air dodges have auto cancel frames after you can act out of them and any technical brawl player knew about auto cancels on aerials before they come out due to Platform cancelling.

It wasn't even discovered by DeLux either.
Hehe, I'll be the first to say I am nowhere near competitive enough in Brawl to have properly looked into such techniques, let alone actively use them when playing. The fact that this was apparently common knowledge surprises me as I had seen practically no discussion of this in Smash 4 threads. Still, now it should hopefully reach far more people than before, and we can really start to see it.

Or perhaps we've already been seeing it and I'm just blind because I'm a silly person. ><;;;

Last edited:

A Gray Person

Smash Cadet
NNID
Gray21oh
3DS FC
1719-3271-0480
I have to wonder if DACUS can still be done with Falco. I think it might become useful to try and shield pressure someone, though I could be dead wrong cause most time I've done smashes on shields I always tend to get punished by grab.

Jabzilla

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jabzilla
3DS FC
3007-8178-1682
Imo, don't use dair anymore in Smash 4. It is now really risky to pull off and the rewards are hardly worth it. His fast fall fair is so much better and can kill at 50% percent if the opponent has used all their jumps or has bad recoveries. I think B/DACUS (if it still exists for Falco) will be great with dthrow and maybe down b if the opponent trips.

Charhazzard

Smash Cadet
Only time I use Dair is to potentially punish a jump get up from the edge to land the spike or my opponent is recovering high off stage I quick double jump Dair for pressure if I miss I just fast fall fair. But most times just going for the fair initially works better.

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Iono about you, but that back air kills Bowser before his back air kills us
TRUE STORY

I like Up Smash in this game more than his Brawl/Melee ones by far. No sourspot exists on that move (that I've seen, has anyone sour spotted the thing before? [I know sometimes the second hit can be avoided but not reliably]), which is pretty crazy considering it covers probably 15+ frames and hits behind us.

I think optimal falco is really percent centric. If he gets an up smash or up tilt at the right percent that leads straight into a full hop back air or up air, that's a stock, at stupendously low percent, in a way the opponent cannot avoid unless they're just sent that far away from the moves.

tl;dr THAT VERTICAL JUMP IS WHAT MAKES THIS CHARACTER GOOD.

Last edited:
Top Bottom