• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Falco, King of the Birds: Game Play Discussion

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
What the title says. Discuss Falco in Smash 4 3DS/Wii U. Feel free to ask any questions~

Feel free to discuss any move set observations, Q&A and other game play discussions for Falco in Smash4: 3DS.

Not 100% sure on his unlock: likely classic mode with Fox.

We see his moveset mostly maintaining its Brawl form.
Jab finisher is similar to his first strike, hits upwards a bit and has soso knockback it seems.
Shine/Down-B is still his Brawl incarnation, but it doesn't seem to "angle"/get kicked downwards (in the air), but rather completely horizontal (like ZSS' Side-B)
Full Hop laser didn't seem to lag, but not sure about any other particulars.

Yet to see a confirmation of his final smash actually, but we'll see soon enough~

Last edited by a moderator:

Get Low

Smash Ace
Even though I'm primarily a Melee player, I like Brawl Falco more than melee Falco.
I hope they keep the short hop double lasers, as well as his Brawl reflector.
He's cooler as a keep-away character rather than being extremely aggressive like in Melee.

BSP

Smash Legend
His melee reflector gives him tons of combo potential. Assuming this game has more hitstun, it could be pretty useful.

SHDL is nice.

I hope Fire Bird goes a little farther.

I am not sure what I would like for Falco to go. I always liked his style of play where he can be campy. Either in Brawl or Melee, he can be played liked that and mess people up with his mix-ups. Although, his Utilt should be his melee one. Melee shine is useless unless you can somehowlink into it. Therefore, I'd prefer the brawl one if it could not be linked into. Brawl Fair is easily replaced by the fair in melee.

Although, it would be interesting to see how they change his design to fit HD somehow. There has not been a new star fox game in the last 5 games that was not simply a remake.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Arwing as a Final Smash and he's perfect.

I wish he'd use two Blasters for his Special though. Firing them off alternately with each use, y'know.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
I expected Falco to use two blasters because of the cutscene in the SSE it would be nice to see that in use

me9595

Smash Apprentice
Since falco has wings and is a bird, i think he should be able to glide, maybe not have like 6 jumps, but at least be able to glide

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
YOU KNOW, I actually thought that would happen back in the pre-Brawl days...

EDIT: ...Thunderbird? That just... makes... so much Sense.

Octorox

Smash Apprentice
Writing Team
How about an element change for Up B?

"Thunderbird" would be cool, to separate it a little from Fox.

I was also never a big fan of his Brawl Fsmash animation, what about giving him Fox's 64 Fsmash?

I suppose the animation is a little whacky. But, I love its properties. Having that huge attack after the main hit is super useful. Much better than anything in the previous smash games.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Falco could use some new animations for his down smash and down air. Maybe some new grab throws, too. Oh, and as previously mentioned by a few of you, it would be simply rad if he used/carried two blasters. It just fits his style, you know=??? :shades:

That's about all that needs to be changed. Add a bit of the Melee Falco style to Brawl Falco (both are pretty similar, even if Melee and Brawl are polar opposite games), and a touch of newness. Maybe a new forward B or up B could be added to make all those "I h8 clones" fools shut up. But other than that, Falco has been excellently designed in 2 smash games in a row. My only complaint is in both games he's well above average, but meah. I digress. Falco kicks butt, and that's all any Falco fan wants! :cool:

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
I want to see some crazy flipkicking jeet-kun-do shizz with melee's voice, yes I mean the voiceacting. That Falco would be so full of HNNNGH.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The one big change that Falco needs is that his Final Smash should be his Arwing. Get on board, and start firing lasers at the competition.

RedGamer

Smash Ace
the shdl would be cooler if he had two blasters and kept the hitstun.
as far as the shine goes, dont make it like the brawl shine, make it like the melee shine please.
the brawl fair and nair are better in my opinion.
falco bair could be changed to a mix between his melee nair and his melee fair.
if they do give him the ability to hover, they should replace his side-b to something a little more dangerous and possibly a KO move.
if they made firebird go farther, then they would have to nerf the crap out of his jump. and I'm not for that. But maybe they could shorten his single jump and lengthen his double jump (not by much though) and still keep his short hop height the same.
I dunno
(:falcomelee: FTW!)

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
I was thinking of incorporating double blasters as an aerial variation of his neutral special.

Neutral B on Ground: Falco draws out a single Blaster, gripping it sideways. Tap B to shoot a blue laser.

Neutral B Charged on Ground: Hold B And an electronic hum and a faint glow emit from the Blaster. When the glow becomes Red, Tap B again to fire a faster, red laser with more knockback. (Maybe Locks Onto Opponent?) If B is released and not pressed again the glow will fade and Falco will put back his blaster.

Neutral B in Air: Falco pulls out two blasters and begins firing rapidly. (Maybe aimed diagonally down so as to not overpower?)

As for his neutral combo, I'd like it if he didn't do that propellor spin. It just doesn't fit Falco's image. But I aint got any better ideas so I'll but out.

Host Change

Smash Ace
NNID
HostChange
3DS FC
0147-1153-9132
Falco is mostly fine as he is, but I would prefer his shine from Melee with the majority of his Brawl counterpart. Firebird going a little bit further would also be nice to see as well.

Flaco's reflector in brawl is quite useful. I'd only want the melee one back if you could guarantee some sort of continuation after using it, or you could jump cancel it again. Otherwise, no. Besides, him kicking it fits with his personality it feels.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
At least by kicking his Reflector around, Falco can use it as an offensive attack more frequently. Sure he can't hold his Reflector like Fox's and Wolf's now, but that's a small price to pay for making a defensive move have offensive properties.

RedGamer

Smash Ace
Give him his trusty sniper rifle from Star Fox Assault and he will be great.
wouldn't a dual handgun be cooler? :)
that would make the SHDL all the more "Falco".
and keep him in the air, since he prefers it.

the brawl dash animation is better in my opinion.
the brawl nair and fair is better in my opinion.
the brawl standard A attack is better in my opinion.
the brawl U-smash is better in my opinion.
the melee F-smash is better in my opinion.
the melee U-tilt is better in my opinion.
the melee shine jump-cancelable is better in my opinion.
the melee firebird is better in my opinion.
the ssb64 jump is better in my opinion :troll:

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
Not important, but I remember that the Nintendo Power Player's Guide had a name for every attack that the characters had and used in Melee. Here is Falco's.

Weak Attacks

1-2-Multi-Hit: Jab, Straight, Rapid Kick

Strong Attacks

Upward: Back Kick
Forward: Bird Kick
Downward: Bird Sweep

SMASH ATTACKS:

Upward: Flip Kick
Forward: Roundhouse Kick
Downward: Falco Split

Dash Attack: Jumping Side Kick

Aerial Attacks:

Center: Flying Kick
Front: Cyclone Kick
Back: Reverse Spin Kick
Up: Falco Flip
Down: Air Drill

Special Attacks

Standard B: Blaster
Foward B: Falco Phantasm
Upward B: Fire Bird
Downward B: Reflector

Grapples and Throw Downs

Pummel: Knee
Front: Elbow Bash
Back: Skeet Blaster
Up: Star Blaster
Down: Floor Blaster

Didn't turn out too bad.

SnowCold

Smash Apprentice
all i ask for is a longer firebird. they should make it so it's the exact same length as fox and wolf, but has a slightly different mechanic. for example, fox's hits multiple times while falco's hits once but hard. also i hope they implement buffer fastfalling so you can fastfall lasers. and i also want dacus to return as well as wavebouncing.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
all i ask for is a longer firebird. they should make it so it's the exact same length as fox and wolf, but has a slightly different mechanic. for example, fox's hits multiple times while falco's hits once but hard. also i hope they implement buffer fastfalling so you can fastfall lasers. and i also want dacus to return as well as wavebouncing.
From what I recall, the Fire Fox delivers one strong hit, while the Fire Bird delivers multiple weak hits. The length of the attacks can still be made to be rivaled though.

SnowCold

Smash Apprentice
From what I recall, the Fire Fox delivers one strong hit, while the Fire Bird delivers multiple weak hits. The length of the attacks can still be made to be rivaled though.
it would make more sense the other way around. fox is usually the quick multi hitter while falco is the hit-once-hard kind of character. examples are, lasers, dairs, upair, melee fair, and i think that's about it.

D

Deleted member

I heard talks of giving Falco an Arwing Final Smash, but then I got to thinking...
Why a typical Arwing....when he could use his customized Sky Claw machine?

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
The one thing I will credit brawl on was effectively making falco different from fox. I really like the idea of making his up b into Thunderbird instead of fire bird and giving it longer range. When you think about how Falco is a "BIRD" his up b should probably cover more distance than fox's. It just suits him better. Not to mention dual wield. The main thing that needs to change though is his final smash. Sky claw would fit the bill perfectly:D

Zero-X

Smash Rookie
Turning Firebird into Thunderbird is a great idea. Giving him dual pistols and giving him the Sky Claw for a Final Smash would be awesome, too. They should mainly keep Falco the same except for a few things like what were listed above, and add some minor animation differences here and there. I can't wait to see Falco in HD. It'll look great.

Top Bottom