• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Falco, King of the Birds: Game Play Discussion

Espio264

Smash Ace
I had a dream last night where Wolf was the next character reveal. That was cool and all, but somehow in my nonsensical dream thinking I came to the conclusion that Falco was not playable, and made into an Assist Trophy. Scary stuff. Considering the way things are being revealed, do you guys think we'll see Falco sooner rather than later? Is there a possibility we'll see Wolf first? Will either or both be held until after release? I honestly don't care how, I just want SSB's resident Bad@ss to be there on opening day. An extra early reveal would be amazing.

mygamecube

Smash Lord
NNID
mygamecube
3DS FC
4596-9526-5701
I had a dream last night where Wolf was the next character reveal. That was cool and all, but somehow in my nonsensical dream thinking I came to the conclusion that Falco was not playable, and made into an Assist Trophy. Scary stuff. Considering the way things are being revealed, do you guys think we'll see Falco sooner rather than later? Is there a possibility we'll see Wolf first? Will either or both be held until after release? I honestly don't care how, I just want SSB's resident Bad@ss to be there on opening day. An extra early reveal would be amazing.

Unfortunately I don't think we'll see any StarFox reveals anytime soon. If we do, I think it'd end up being either Wolf or a newcomer (coughcoughkrystalcoughcoughhack)

That's not to say Falco won't be in Smash 4. My reasons are on the other page, and I'm sure he'll be back, but Wolf does hold more significance as Fox's rival in the franchise, and that could be more of a reason for Sakurai to reveal Wolf before Falco.

insomniac19

Smash Journeyman
Falco is by far my most favorite character to use in both Brawl and Melee. That said I prefer his Brawl incarnation over his Melee one. Going into Smash 4 I would love to see him become more of his own character, but still keeping his Brawl flair. Such as his reflector kick. Shine combos were fun in Melee but I'm glad they changed it for Brawl. I can definitely see him coming back.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
I really like Falco, and he was my main in Melee, but I'll be the first to admit that I'd rather see Wolf return at this point. I also agree that a Wolf reveal seems at least sensible to do first, because Falco just feels like he should be revealed later as an unlockable. Falco doesn't scream "reveal me, I'm super important at this very moment." I mean, Wolf doesn't either but at least he offers a contrast to Fox a bit more. And screw it, I'm biased, I want Wolf back if someone has to be cut.

That said, I think Falco should keep his Blaster and his Reflector kick (although him kicking something other than a Reflector would be cool and different), but he should have some kind of Whirlwind-making device that creates a tornado in front of horizontally when he hits Side-B (he's a bird, he should be able to use some kind of wind attack), and his Up-B should be some kind of jetpack launch that sends him in a spiraling arc upward quickly, reminiscent of a barrel roll, to reference his Arwing mastery and his status, again, as a bird.

Crocovile

Smash Apprentice
I found it weird how the bird is the one with the shortest Up-B attack, he should get more airtime in my opinion.

Morbi

Scavenger
I would much rather see Wolf return, but I have been getting into Falco recently. Wolf is the more ideal choice as he is the prevalent antagonist in the series. In terms of Smash, his play-style is almost entirely unique aside from similar specials. Falco has been a predominant part of Smash though, so it would be sad to see him go. Even with all of his changes, he still plays the same as Fox. So I wouldn't really mind if he was just a costume. At the same time, they both seem easy enough to develop, I don't think it will come down to Wolf vs Falco.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I think it'd be a bit insulting if Falco only came back as a costume, honestly. Character or bust.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I think it'd be a bit insulting if Falco only came back as a costume, honestly. Character or bust.
Was that a thought?
That is a terrible idea. Falco has molded himself into Smash as a character.
I don't want to see him as a costume at all.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Was that a thought?
That is a terrible idea. Falco has molded himself into Smash as a character.
I don't want to see him as a costume at all.
I've actually been seeing it a lot recently (not as much here, though). But yeah, it's a terrible idea, I think.

HeadofHudet

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
5259-5066-0804
Even though wolf is more important in the star fox franchize, it certainly looks like sakurai prefers falco. One thing is that he added falco to melee and not wolf. Wolf is also like the last character you unlock in brawl, so I feel like falco's got first priority on that one. At least I hope I'm right about that...

Edit: I'm kinda hyped about Krystal, though. But if she replaces anyone, I hope it'll be Wolf.

LiquidSalsa

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheRealLuigi64
3DS FC
4441-8394-6735
My God, That picture is so well done it makes me want Falco even more now!

MrAmaboKcorb

Smash Rookie
NNID
AmaboKcorb
Whenever I see people suggest Falco get cut I die a little inside.

Falco should return for sure.
Some ideas for improvements
Double blaster. (He would shoot one from right after the other, nothing would really change but it'd look cool)
Change element of Fire Bird. (Thunder perhaps? Wind?)
Also change the distance of Fire Bird, horizontally and sideways. (He's a bird, he should have a better recovery!)
Falco Phantasm should either stay the same or replaced with a new move. (Perhaps a new gun? Sniper Rifle?)
Keep reflector the same as Brawl it's useful.
Final Smash: Arwing, for sure. It would work a bit like Snake's but faster and less knock back. Lasts longer though)
Slightly change A moves that are still similar to Fox's.
Maybe make him a big faster.
Design wise, same as Brawl. Maybe add the robotic legs, but looking at Fox's design it probably won't happen.
Maybe add some alt costumes. (Ex. Star Falco outfit, G-Zero outfit, Adventures outfit)
Keep the Brooklyn voice, it oddly fits him.

Overall, I just hope he returns!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I don't think Falco will be cut. And think his moveset won't change much from Brawl's.

ZanZero

Smash Apprentice
The song of our people.
I'm going to blast this once he's confirmed.
Also, if he's not I worry for Sakurai...
My friend gets a scary look in his eye when anyone mentions Falco getting cut.

Last edited:

SuperSmashBrother

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3523-2286-3241
It's kind of weird how Falco says "Personally I prefer the air" before using his final smash while the Land Master is more of a ground machine than an air machine. That doesn't make any sense. He should have an Arwing for his final smash that shoots lasers and bombs and stuff. Just my opinion.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Hey, Falco fans! I'm working on a project that you might have heard of called Project: Thank You Sakurai! (If you haven't heard of it, you should check it out.) and I'm currently doing a poll to determine which characters should be on the virtual card that we're making for him. I would appreciate it if you guys would check it out here and vote for who you like. Falco is seriously lacking in votes right now and needs some more votes to make it in (same goes for Wolf). I would really appreciate it if you guys helped me out by voting for him (and others) in the poll.

Crazc

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RJB0077
3DS FC
2191-8077-5809
a haiku for sakurai is falco gets cut

I swear to god bruh
let me catch you in the streets
bruh i swear to god

Zekk

Smash Apprentice
Why dont we make it so Falco can switch between kicking his reflector or just holding it that satisfies both arguments I feel if double short hop lasers come back then hit stun needs to be reduced other then that keep him the same thats my opinion

Sahfarry

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2750-1620-0068
Change element of Fire Bird. (Thunder perhaps? Wind?)
Also change the distance of Fire Bird, horizontally and sideways. (He's a bird, he should have a better recovery!)
Yeah Falco is a bird. They should make it a mix between Fire Fox and MK's recovery. You stay stationary for a moment, and you release to go into a loop that allows you to fly for a short amount of time. The element would be wind and have some cool effects to it. It should probably do less damage than Fox's.
Falco Phantasm should either stay the same or replaced with a new move. (Perhaps a new gun? Sniper Rifle?)
*Ahem* I'd really like him to use either one of these:
Machine Gun:

Grenade (especially if Snake doesn't return):
Maybe add the robotic legs, but looking at Fox's design it probably won't happen.
Maybe add some alt costumes. (Ex. Star Falco outfit, G-Zero outfit, Adventures outfit)
Keep the Brooklyn voice, it oddly fits him.
All of my this ^
It's kind of weird how Falco says "Personally I prefer the air" before using his final smash while the Land Master is more of a ground machine than an air machine. That doesn't make any sense. He should have an Arwing for his final smash that shoots lasers and bombs and stuff. Just my opinion.
He says that bc he knows a land vehicle is coming. He has to settle for a tank, but he says himself that he would prefer the air if the option presented itself.

Falco Arwing confirmed.

Last edited:

Thor

Smash Champion
I found it weird how the bird is the one with the shortest Up-B attack, he should get more airtime in my opinion.
You could check out some Brawl- footage. Here's me, still pretty new to the mod at the time, playing one of the devs. It ain't exactly pretty (Falco has no disjoint on his fsmash, I know that, but wasn't thinking like that at the end of the video XD), but it showcases his truly awesome recovery in that game (PS: Falco can also wallljump out of Phantasm - I didn't do that in this video). But Falco definitely recovers like a bird in this mod (those meteor cancels): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KpJ_LNs-pY

If Falco had this firebird for smash4, his gimping problems would be pretty much gone.

Though I just want Falco back, however terrible his firebird is.

Last edited:

mygamecube

Smash Lord
NNID
mygamecube
3DS FC
4596-9526-5701
Disappointing to not see any sign of Falco at the Direct. All signs point to him being an unlockable yet again.

Thor

Smash Champion
mygamecube said:
All signs point to him being an unlockable yet again.
Well duh, Falco's not gonna let just any scrub who buys the game use him. People have to work for it A LITTLE.

That said, the first thing I'm probably gonna try to do is beat the 100 Man-Melee.

DeOnde

Smash Cadet
Falco needs to come back, he does have an important history in Smash, and he became much more than a simple Fox clone.

I truly hope he doesn't get replaced by Krystal, as i'm not the biggest fan of the foxy lady. And i never played a game with her to be completely honest, the last chronological Star Fox game i played was SF 64 (Which is even today one of the most recent of the franchise :troll:).

Also, make love, not Landmasters. Our Air-Loving Bird NEEDS an Arwing for his Final Smash, it could work similar to Snake's where he goes off-screen and shoots lasers and maybe a Smart Bomb. Another way the final smash could work would be like the Arwings in the Corneria stage for the N64, summons the Arwing and zaps people, similar to the Landmaster, But Flying and much faster.

Also, as other have also said, they should make his air game more significant, after all he does personally prefer the air, and HE IS A BIRD. The development team has already proved they can create "specialized" characters (like Little Mac being the devil as long as his feet are touching the ground), so i think they could make something of the sort to Falco too (i just hope they don't destroy his ground game, just give his aerials some more power)

WonderSmash

Smash Apprentice
I think Falco is the only character that I would be ok with if he was still a semi-clone. Plus he's the Han Solo of Star Fox. He needs to be back.

Top Bottom