• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Falco, King of the Birds: Game Play Discussion

Dr. Poopoo

Smash Cadet
Even though I'm primarily a Melee player, I like Brawl Falco more than melee Falco.
I hope they keep the short hop double lasers, as well as his Brawl reflector.
He's cooler as a keep-away character rather than being extremely aggressive like in Melee.
r u being serious? x) all of that is literally the opposite

Crocovile

Smash Apprentice
I love playing as Falco in Brawl, and I love playing as the Star Fox characters too, but the Final Smashes need some serious work. I was fine with Fox having a Landmaster but Falco and Wolf having it too was just plain dumb.

What I'd like to see is the Arwing as Falco's FS, and this is how I envision it: When you activate it, Falco shoots straight into the air like he does for the Landmaster, but the controls instead shift over to a First Person view like the Dragoon, with a targeting sight and a distance counter.

The targeting sight is used for aiming, like the Dragoon, but when you press the A-button you fire the Arwing's lasers instead to rack up damage, this is similar to Snake's FS, but with a faster firing rate and very little knockback. The distance counter is used as a small countdown timer indicating how long you have left, until it reaches zero upon wich the Arwing zooms by like the Dragoon, hitting anybody in its path for a final blow to knock somebody out of the stage.

The Arwing by itself doesn't have as much killing potential by itself when it hits somebody compared to the Dragoon, but the laserfire is there to make up for that. So even if Falco doesn't knock somebody out with the FS itself, he can use it to heighten his own chances when he returns to the stage.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Here's hoping they change him further my personal special changes wanted.

B: Double Blaster: shoots a double stun shot quickly with two seperate laser guns that does good damage, has more recovery time than it used to though.

B Over: Missile Launcher: shoots a large missile that does good damage move averagly and has high durability as well as solid Ko potential, slightly more recovery when done in air and has slightly more recovery than the double shot overall.

B Up: Same: properties added, his goes the highest out of the 3 sf characters bups does the
lowest damage and has the longest startup before launching.

B Down: Same: Better Damage on hit.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
i want falco back! he was my second main when the brawl first came out.

yes change his final smash to the arwing. it could function somewhat like snakes fs by shoting lasers at everyone, and smart bombs!

Brendan Stepladder

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3626-0125-2928
I don't think Falco will make it back. At the end of the day, he's still a clone and Sakurai said that he's had to make a lot of hard choices when deciding 4's roster. Unfortunately, clones will go first. It's better that he goes than, say, Captain Falcon or ZSS.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I don't think Falco will make it back. At the end of the day, he's still a clone and Sakurai said that he's had to make a lot of hard choices when deciding 4's roster. Unfortunately, clones will go first. It's better that he goes than, say, Captain Falcon or ZSS.
I don't think we'll have that many cuts that it'll reach Falco. Wolf, Toon Link, Lucario, Ike, Lucas, and even characters like R.O.B, Jigglypuff and Ice Climbers would go before Falco, and those character aren't considered to be cut so that says something. Falco has consistently been a fan favorite in Smash Bros, and is a very good character to have repping Star Fox. In this case his semi-clone status doesn't affect him, and they can always make him unique too.

The only cuts I'm expecting are Toon Link, Lucario and possibly Lucas, if we're unlucky Ike and Wolf will also eat the dust too. They're doing their best to make every character return, and we won't have as many newcomers as we had in Brawl, so this time around they have more time to work on the veterans too.

Brendan Stepladder

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3626-0125-2928
I don't think we'll have that many cuts that it'll reach Falco. Wolf, Toon Link, Lucario, Ike, Lucas, and even characters like R.O.B, Jigglypuff and Ice Climbers would go before Falco, and those character aren't considered to be cut so that says something. Falco has consistently been a fan favorite in Smash Bros, and is a very good character to have repping Star Fox. In this case his semi-clone status doesn't affect him, and they can always make him unique too.

The only cuts I'm expecting are Toon Link, Lucario and possibly Lucas, if we're unlucky Ike and Wolf will also eat the dust too. They're doing their best to make every character return, and we won't have as many newcomers as we had in Brawl, so this time around they have more time to work on the veterans too.
Wolf is definitly eating it, and TL was already a confirmed cut. I expect Lucario and Lucas are gone as well, but Luario may be replaced by Mewtwo.

i also have a sneaking suspicions that the Pokemon Trainer will not return as well. The big limiting factor is that there will be no roster differences between the 3DS and Wii U.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Wolf is definitly eating it, and TL was already a confirmed cut. I expect Lucario and Lucas are gone as well, but Luario may be replaced by Mewtwo.

i also have a sneaking suspicions that the Pokemon Trainer will not return as well. The big limiting factor is that there will be no roster differences between the 3DS and Wii U.
The 3DS isn't as limited as people make it out to be though. Remember, the Pokémon Trainer only has all of his Pokémon out during the Final Smash, other than that the Trainer himself acts as a stage prop while you only control 1 character at a time.

I think the problem isn't that the 3DS can't handle many characters on the screen at a time, the reason the Ice Climbers might be causing problems is probably related to their synchronization and making both characters do the same thing, not that the 3DS can't handle so many models. If the 3DS can't handle that much, then only a complete idiot would make a Smash Bros game on there, if lag and many things on the screen at the same time would be the problem, then characters are the least of their concerns as long as items are in the game.

Either way, I wouldn't call it out that Wolf is definitely eating it, he's an important character to the Star Fox franchise and definitely an all-star, it'd be easier to let R.O.B and Ike eat it before him. Toon Link hasn't been confirmed to be cut, quite the opposite, Sakurai has said no cuts have been made thus far, so the other Toon Link's appearance in the train stage (and make no mistake, they're as different as Retro DK and DK is in 75M) is no indication of anything. Same for Lucario, Mewtwo returning doesn't automatically rule out Lucario. However, I do think that TL, Lucario and Lucas are at the bottom of the priority list, meaning they're likely to bite the dust. I don't see many more characters getting cut than that.

Brendan Stepladder

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3626-0125-2928
The 3DS isn't as limited as people make it out to be though. Remember, the Pokémon Trainer only has all of his Pokémon out during the Final Smash, other than that the Trainer himself acts as a stage prop while you only control 1 character at a time.

I think the problem isn't that the 3DS can't handle many characters on the screen at a time, the reason the Ice Climbers might be causing problems is probably related to their synchronization and making both characters do the same thing, not that the 3DS can't handle so many models. If the 3DS can't handle that much, then only a complete idiot would make a Smash Bros game on there, if lag and many things on the screen at the same time would be the problem, then characters are the least of their concerns as long as items are in the game.

Either way, I wouldn't call it out that Wolf is definitely eating it, he's an important character to the Star Fox franchise and definitely an all-star, it'd be easier to let R.O.B and Ike eat it before him. Toon Link hasn't been confirmed to be cut, quite the opposite, Sakurai has said no cuts have been made thus far, so the other Toon Link's appearance in the train stage (and make no mistake, they're as different as Retro DK and DK is in 75M) is no indication of anything. Same for Lucario, Mewtwo returning doesn't automatically rule out Lucario. However, I do think that TL, Lucario and Lucas are at the bottom of the priority list, meaning they're likely to bite the dust. I don't see many more characters getting cut than that.
The only reason I think PT is getting cut is that Nintendo has to program in three character for the price of one. In terms of development resources, the Pokemon Trainer is at best inefficient. Meaning, that if Nintendo/Namco hit any serious development roadblocks (unlikely as they are), Pokemon Trainer may be cut as a result.

I think at this point it goes without saying that ROB will be cut. Also, Mewtwo will probably eclipse Lucario if only through sheer popularity and the fact that Mewtwo got a new form for gen 6 (possible Final Smash?).

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
The only reason I think PT is getting cut is that Nintendo has to program in three character for the price of one. In terms of development resources, the Pokemon Trainer is at best inefficient. Meaning, that if Nintendo/Namco hit any serious development roadblocks (unlikely as they are), Pokemon Trainer may be cut as a result.

I think at this point it goes without saying that ROB will be cut. Also, Mewtwo will probably eclipse Lucario if only through sheer popularity and the fact that Mewtwo got a new form for gen 6 (possible Final Smash?).
I don't think you should assume so many characters will get cut, R.O.B is as safe as G&W was for Brawl. I really doubt we'll get anymore than 5 cuts.

As for PT, Smash Bros has the budget of a palace, Sakurai can do what he wants pretty much. If resources was a problem then they wouldn't have included him in Brawl to begin with.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
if there were any cuts, id be ok with ganondorf, toon link, lucario, snake, pokemon trainer, and rob.

i like that they changed up some of the moves for falco from melee to brawl. in melee he was a complete clone. i believe sakurai can make enough changes again to falco to make him less of a clone even more.

lucas is also one of those semi clones that has enough of a different move set that makes him separate from ness. again, they can change somethings about lucas to make him less cloney in the next smash bros.

aside from specials and final smashes,these two characters are basically thier own

if lucario doesnt get cut, i hope they change his or either mewtwos moveset so they arnt clones of each other.

2 C H i L L E D

Eternal Hitstun
3DS FC
3956-0619-2163
I really want Falco to return, but I'm almost positive that Mewtwo will make a return and will end up becoming my main, putting Falco at secondary.
I can see reasons at to why people would think he would be cut, but I can also see reasons as to why he shouldn't
I want both Falco and Mewtwo back, but either way it goes, as long as Mewtwo is back I'd probably be a lot less hostile about Falco being cut.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
Falco's going to be top tier for the 3rd (4th if you consider that 64 Fox is closer to Falco than Fox of the later games) game in a row.
Laser's just such a ridiculously strong move. Side-b is one of the best moves for recovery mixups in the game. If he keeps his early grab combo game and amazing jab, he'll easily be one of the best characters

serazac25

Smash Rookie
Keep his B moves from melee and his ,Uair,Nair ,Bair,Dair, I like brawls Fair(the one with the beak twirling thing) Smash Up, it could be like brawls but it has to be like a similar motion from melee, as in the same hitboxes, and the forwards smash, i'm ok with the wings, and the neutral A, i'm ok with that infinite spinning thing , it works well in Project M.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
if lucario doesnt get cut, i hope they change his or either mewtwos moveset so they arnt clones of each other.
I know this isn't the thread for this, but...:facepalm: Lucario and Mewtwo are not clones of each other in the slightest. They share a similar Neutral B, as well as the Forward Smash. That's it, and it's far from being a clone.

That being said, seeing Falco use some of his arsenal from Assault would be nifty.

NJ_Gamer

Smash Rookie
Falco is not getting cut. He's the second most important character in his series and one of the most popular and better players in Melee and Brawl. He needs to be a hybrid of Melee and Brawl, because I love him using his reflector as a projectile in SSBB

Swift Fox

Smash Lord
Falco is not getting cut. He's the second most important character in his series and one of the most popular and better players in Melee and Brawl. He needs to be a hybrid of Melee and Brawl, because I love him using his reflector as a projectile in SSBB
No... it's Wolf that is more important than Falco in Star Fox series.

Falco's not getting cut thanks to his Melee and Brawl status, no more.

At the same time Wolf's not getting cut because he's not a clone, no more.

However, Sakurai is opposing clones, so Falco has more risk to getting cut than Wolf... unless Falco will have more de-cloned moves then he won't be like Melee anymore unless you'd like to raise Falco's chance of getting cut.

EDIT: Yay 256(-bit) posts

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
which is why i am saying falco can have a better chance at staying because he can be de-cloned even further.

in melee he was a complete copy of fox.

in brawl, they gave him new attacks, animations, and different effects for his specials.

in sm4sh i believe sakurai can de clone him even further.

Renji64

Smash Lord
Brawl falco was terrible i expect worse i hope he will have his old refeletor and a better foward smash. He is so slow and boring in brawl.

grizby2

Smash Lord
all this talk about cutting falco makes me laugh.
I mean toon link is confirmed now.
TOON LINK.
the one character that so many were sure wouldn't return due to his cloni-ness.

if TOON LINK made it back, then the walls of our logic have been officially torn down.

MAGRWolfX

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0130-3100-1586
I can't wait to see how Falco will look after seeing how they made Fox look. Yeah, with Toon Link confirmed (he also looks like he's keeping some moves) it MIGHT be possible we won't have cuts. It's my guess, since Sakurai hasn't CONFIRMED there will be cuts, just that it's possible.
But that's just me.

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
which is why i am saying falco can have a better chance at staying because he can be de-cloned even further.

in melee he was a complete copy of fox.

in brawl, they gave him new attacks, animations, and different effects for his specials.

in sm4sh i believe sakurai can de clone him even further.
Honestly, what else can they do to de-clone Falco without going out of character?

What else can many StarFox characters do?

ShichibukaiJimbe

Smash Apprentice
I love playing as Falco in Brawl, and I love playing as the Star Fox characters too, but the Final Smashes need some serious work. I was fine with Fox having a Landmaster but Falco and Wolf having it too was just plain dumb.

What I'd like to see is the Arwing as Falco's FS, and this is how I envision it: When you activate it, Falco shoots straight into the air like he does for the Landmaster, but the controls instead shift over to a First Person view like the Dragoon, with a targeting sight and a distance counter.

The targeting sight is used for aiming, like the Dragoon, but when you press the A-button you fire the Arwing's lasers instead to rack up damage, this is similar to Snake's FS, but with a faster firing rate and very little knockback. The distance counter is used as a small countdown timer indicating how long you have left, until it reaches zero upon wich the Arwing zooms by like the Dragoon, hitting anybody in its path for a final blow to knock somebody out of the stage.

The Arwing by itself doesn't have as much killing potential by itself when it hits somebody compared to the Dragoon, but the laserfire is there to make up for that. So even if Falco doesn't knock somebody out with the FS itself, he can use it to heighten his own chances when he returns to the stage.

Indeed, they should change his final smash

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
with sonic now confirmed.... looks like cuts arnt gonna happen.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
The only thing I would change about Falco is his Final Smash..other than that..the Brawl Falco...is perfect for me.

mygamecube

Smash Lord
NNID
mygamecube
3DS FC
4596-9526-5701
Obviously I want him back. I'd say he has a pretty good chance too. He's been represented in Melee and Brawl alongside Fox. Makes sense to keep him around more so than Wolf.

Albeit a semi-clone, Falco does have his differences in how his cloned attacks are executed, and that made him somewhat unique in Brawl.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Is there really anything to wish for when it comes to Falco in SSB4, other than inclusion?
The only thing I can think of is to give him something else for side+b, to separate him from Fox even more.

mygamecube

Smash Lord
NNID
mygamecube
3DS FC
4596-9526-5701
Is there really anything to wish for when it comes to Falco in SSB4, other than inclusion?
The only thing I can think of is to give him something else for side+b, to separate him from Fox even more.

His Final Smash comes to mind. What were they thinking? Another Landmaster?

How about the Arwing?

Zigzagar

Smash Journeyman
I hope Falco returns, I hope Falco has some new moves I wouldn't change him radically but a few moves are okay.

I thought of a new move:
Side B: Plasma Cannon

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
I hope Falco returns, I hope Falco has some new moves I wouldn't change him radically but a few moves are okay.

I thought of a new move:
Side B:plasma Cannon

I see you wanted to say Side B: Plasma Cannon...but you forgot the space in between : and P. Now it's a smiley.

Top Bottom