• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fact 54 - Mewtwo Is On The Way [Social/General Discussion]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Calling it now. The second Sakurai reveals Mewtwo, Miiverse and SmashBoards will crash. For days.
The second Sakurai reveals Mewtwo I will cry.
I will legitimately cry tears of joy.

Mewtwo is my favorite Pokemon ever.
He deserves to be in this game more than almost anyone.

silvR1995

Smash Journeyman
NNID
silvRboLt1995
3DS FC
0834-0571-4339
I agree with this whole-heartedly. What I still can't believe is the whole Mewtwo vs Jigglypuff thing. It's really getting on my nerves.

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781

Same with me... Though it probably won't be Sakurai doing the revealing, he was a secret character back in Melee. (And quite the requirements, too!) Most secret characters aren't revealed unless they are 3rd party characters (Sonic and Snake were unlockable, I'm going to think that might be the same with Pac-Man and/or Mega Man) and Luigi (Year of Luigi).
That being said, I'm still very confident he's back.

Anthinus

Smash Journeyman
Same with me... Though it probably won't be Sakurai doing the revealing, he was a secret character back in Melee. (And quite the requirements, too!) Most secret characters aren't revealed unless they are 3rd party characters (Sonic and Snake were unlockable, I'm going to think that might be the same with Pac-Man and/or Mega Man) and Luigi (Year of Luigi).
That being said, I'm still very confident he's back.
Brawl unlockables: Jiggly, Luigi, Marth, C.Falcon, Ness, Ganondorf, Sonic, Falco, Wolf, Snake, Lucario, Game & Watch, Toon Link, R.O.B.

We have 33 at the moment. I'm pretty sure there will be a lot of unlockable characters. Including newcomers.

EDIT: Sonic, Snake, Lucario, Toon Link, Wolf and R.O.B. were all unlockable newcomers. So yeah, I think there's going to be unlockable newcomers again.

Last edited:

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
I hope Mewtwo gets a trailer even just a POTD I can't wait til mid september.

Last edited:

Metros

Smash Ace
NNID
metros2soul

I agree.

Considering all the promotion and the amount of times we've seen Mewtwo with the other mega evolutions recently, I'm confident he'll be back.

SonicTeam765

Banned via Administration
NNID
SonicTeam765
In my opinion, I don't want Mewtwo back in this Smash Bros. I thought he was garbage in Melee.

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
Yeah...Cuz he can't change from Melee or anything.If Mewtwo's gets in I may have a heart attack of joy(is that even possible lol and die,if that happens someone main Mewtwo and kick butt with him.

SonicTeam765

NNID
SonicTeam765
Then what are you doing here....was your hatred of mewtwo so bad that you saw the sub forum labeled mewtwo and thought "hmmm better go troll some fans"...seriously though...respectfully GTFO if you dont like him ;P
Dude, I don't mind if people like Mewtwo. I just don't like him in Melee.

Steelia

Smash Champion
In my opinion, I don't want Mewtwo back in this Smash Bros. I thought he was garbage in Melee.
I can respect you not wanting Mewtwo back, but if it's solely because he was terrible in SSBM, then that's just ignorant. Kirby was even worse than Mewtwo, and look how he turned out in SSBB... and how (according to early impressions) he's literally the best character in SSB4! Even Bowser's super beast mode in SSB4, and he wasn't exactly great in either previous Smash titles. Think outside the box man.

Winchester7314

Smash Journeyman
Dude, I don't mind if people like Mewtwo. I just don't like him in Melee.
I mean the thing that bothers me is, all in all, the thing that makes smash great is variety. I think olimar is a terrible character...do I want him removed? no, because everyone has their own style, and their own preferences...to say that you "dont want him back" is self entitled and selfish...so what if he's back, if you dont want to play as him, it wont affect you one bit. will it? but it will certainly affect us mewtwo fans.

Last edited:

SonicTeam765

NNID
SonicTeam765
I can respect you not wanting Mewtwo back, but if it's solely because he was terrible in SSBM, then that's just ignorant. Kirby was even worse than Mewtwo, and look how he turned out in SSBB... and how (according to early impressions) he's literally the best character in SSB4! Even Bowser's super beast mode in SSB4, and he wasn't exactly great in either previous Smash titles. Think outside the box man.
I sometimes play as him. I just can't get into him in Melee.

Metros

Smash Ace
NNID
metros2soul
He's not.

Mewtwo is good if you know how to use him correctly and have the patience to deal with people that only spam top tiers. Lightweight or not, it is actually possible to win with him if you try. Patience and practice is really all there is to it, and getting used to his character and mechanics. Not many people expect to see a good Mewtwo, and I've surprised more than a few people at my local tourney scene. I'm the only one here that uses him consistently with my other mains.

It gets pretty tiring and repetitive hearing people label him as garbage without actually bothering to try with him. But not wanting him in smash 4 because of how he was in Melee is just plain ignorant though.

SonicTeam765

NNID
SonicTeam765
He's not.

Mewtwo is good if you know how to use him correctly and have the patience to deal with people that only spam top tiers. Lightweight or not, it is actually possible to win with him if you try. Patience and practice is really all there is to it, and getting used to his character and mechanics. Not many people expect to see a good Mewtwo, and I've surprised more than a few people at my local tourney scene. I'm the only one here that uses him consistently with my other mains.

It gets pretty tiring and repetitive hearing people label him as garbage without actually bothering to try with him. But not wanting him in smash 4 because of how he was in Melee is just plain ignorant though.
I did try with him, I just can't get into it.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
It doesn't matter how good or bad Mewtwo was in Melee, because there's no telling how he'd be executed in Smash 4.

Though if the other Veterans are of any indication, Mewtwo would likely stand to at least be tweaked to a notable degree. He could even end up being outright overhauled or revamped (in the same way that Zero Suit Samus received a substantive playstyle makeover).

Oops!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
aguyudontknow
3DS FC
1693-1719-9908
He's not.

I did try with him, I just can't get into it.
Just because you can't get into him doesn't mean he can't be good. I can't get into Fox or Falco. I hate playing as them. But apparently they're amazing.

ZombieVito

Smash Journeyman
Going off on another tangent real quick, that new 3DS Pokemon Art Academy game's out in Japan. Do I even need to say who appears as one of the final bosses, and in the final lessons of the game?

God... He has to be in this.... He just has to.

Mr. Pancake

Smash Rookie
Even now, Mewtwo is one of my favorite characters in Melee. I'm especially happy with how he turned out in Project M.

:mewtwopm:Forever!

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
How bad he was in Melee has always been a terrible argument now, but just out of sheer curiosity and maybe to get some food for thought, what is Mewtwo's tier placement in Project M?

Staarih

Smash Master
Going off on another tangent real quick, that new 3DS Pokemon Art Academy game's out in Japan. Do I even need to say who appears as one of the final bosses, and in the final lessons of the game?

Foreshadowing!!

but seriously, those three look so good and fitting together, it would be such a mistake to not make this happen in Smash!

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
I knew it. I mean, we all knew it.

I can't believe that there are still people who doubt Mewtwo's chances at this very moment. He's in the game.
I'm not sure if I'm just biased but that does look like where the games are headed. He got the special treatment in X/Y, he's categorized alongside two Pokemon that are in Smash Wii U.. the chances are looking good!

Orvo, your stuff is actually pretty good. No need to be so humble.
@ ORVO5 ORVO5 That is actually quite awesome.
Like I said it's like drawing on MS Paint with the 3DS, but I'll take it! Thank you :) I posted a few more tonight, and one surprisingly got over 40 "Yeahs", so I hope it's sending the message out.

How bad he was in Melee has always been a terrible argument now, but just out of sheer curiosity and maybe to get some food for thought, what is Mewtwo's tier placement in Project M?
Not sure if it's 100% official but according to ClashTournaments.com, Project M Mewtwo is upper mid-tier.

No offense to you and your miiverse effort,but the roster was decided 1-2 years ago and the game is almost finished(releases 9/13,but shipping time and all that along with making cartridges...It'll probably be done in August or July.Idk how long it takes for packaging and stuff).I guess this could help for dlc,but we don't even know if the game will have dlc so...I don't know I hope he's already in.
Well, the thing is, with all this media he-said-she-said, it's hard to pinpoint what's fact, fiction or exaggeration. At last year's E3, Sakurai himself said he was considering Mewtwo or Mega Mewtwo to be in Smash, so I don't understand how that fits in to the "roster was finalized 2 years ago" logic. I think it's safe to say that if there was enough demand for Mewtwo, there's a chance that he might be included in the game, if he isn't already. All that matters is the possibility, and if anything, at least I made an effort and entertained a few people :)

Understandable, a lot of people assumed that. You should check this out if you have a few minutes to spare, at least the first match with Falco. Mew2King is a good example of what a good Mewtwo player looks like. The fact that he was able to glide under the stage alone impressed me, not to mention his overall mastery of his moveset. And this isn't even the best one I've seen. If you want to check out the future potential of Mewtwo, I recommend checking out Mew2King's Project M Mewtwo matches.

Last edited by a moderator:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
M2K really does amazing stuff with Mewtwo yes, even in Melee. Project M Mewtwo shouldn't even be mentoined, as it's a BEAST! Only thing that would make him even better would be ranged grabs, and more heavy weight, but other than that, he's looking amazing. I can only hope Sakurai would fix Mewtwo like that. And I think he'll probably make Mewtwo a lot heavier to. Seeing how heavy Lucario, Charizard and even Ivysaur where in Brawl compared to Mewtwo- there's just no excuse. Can't make Mewtwo look Pikachu, Squirtle, Jigglypuff- light. :rolleyes:

Terrazi Terrajin

Smash Ace
Mewtwo is a spiritual veteran at this point, he was planned for ALL 3 smash games previously, but only made it into one.
I'd say sakurai would be an absolute ****** to not put him in this time around.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Especially since we really don't have to fear for competition! Greninja's moveset was made in just one night by Sakurai, Squirtle and Ivysaur are likely cut completely, and Jigglypuff hardly should take any time to work on. If Mewtwo's not in, I'll seriously hate all current newcomers more than I already do.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I think it's mid-upper tier, but I'm not 100% certain on that
I've seen him slip into top 10s. Tier lists don't really exist for PM, though.

And I don't really think his tier placement have anything to do with his inclusion. Personally, I thought his Melee (and in extension, PM) moveset design was pretty awful and unrealized, so hopefully he gets a heavy rework if or when he gets in Smash 4.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Especially since we really don't have to fear for competition! Greninja's moveset was made in just one night by Sakurai, Squirtle and Ivysaur are likely cut completely, and Jigglypuff hardly should take any time to work on. If Mewtwo's not in, I'll seriously hate all current newcomers more than I already do.
One problem with that...

What if ridley is a newcomer?

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I love Mewtwo in Project M. In fact, I got Project M just because of Mewtwo and Roy's inclusion. I'm a casual player so Brawl didn't bother me.

Whether or not Mewtwo was good in Melee or not, that shouldn't affect his chances for getting into Smash 4. He can be buffed, reworked, redesigned, etc. There are so many possibilities with him.

Last edited:

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
[quote) silvR1995, post: 16930091, member: 187252"]Calling it now. The second Sakurai reveals Mewtwo, Miiverse and SmashBoards will crash. For days.[/quote]

And he's not even a newcomer thats how crazy it is I would prefer Mewtwo over any newcomer they could add that is not named Ridley

Last edited:

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
I can see Sakurai trolling the crap out of us by doing these things...
1.We don't have Mewtwo and the message:you have unlocked all the characters appears.
2.He announces that Mewtwo will never appear again...
3.Next week he releases Mewtwo dlc.

Sakurai is god tier of trolls.

Anthinus

Smash Journeyman
Maybe Sakurai is planing to reveal all the roster before Japan's release. I think that could be a possibility because he hates his stuff to be spoiled (as he stated before: "You can only truly wow a player the first time he sees [a cutscene]. I felt if players saw the cutscenes outside of the game, they would no longer serve as rewards for playing the game, so I've decided against having them."). He knows that if he doesn't reaveal all characters before Japan's release, he'll lose the chance to wow us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom