• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fact 54 - Mewtwo Is On The Way [Social/General Discussion]

Status
Not open for further replies.

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
So we have about 20-ish characters left to be revealed right? The JP release is still September so we have the rest of this month, July, August, and Sept for a few more reveals. So far we have 33 characters, and the predictions are that there's gonna be anywhere from 45-50 (and maybe a bit more?). Let's say there's 50, that leaves us with 17 spots in about 3 months. So even if they reveal 3 characters a month, there's still gonna be some characters that won't be revealed until the game comes out. The anticipation! It hurts.. lol.

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
A Smash Bros Direct in August/September gives us a better opportunity to see everyone before release.
Probably not everyone but some of them. Maybe even a new character. But there will be secret character.
I'd say there'll be about 1 veteran per month, we'll get roughly 3/4/5 depending on how many are revealed in the potential August direct, leaving 14/13/12 secret characters respectively (assuming we have 50 characters). That seems like a pretty good amount.
My money's still on Mewtwo being a secret character, having been secret in Melee.

Staarih

Smash Master
I'm thinking Mewtwo will be kept secret as well, sadly. I'd love to see him revealed prior to release, and have a decent trailer (and not being treated as just a returning veteran and get a boring gameplay trailer like Sonic, or worse, no trailer at all). But I guess encountering a "Challenger approaching"-scene with Mewtwo's shadow would also be pretty cool.

If kept secret, his inclusion in the game will probably be spoiled by some Japanese players once they get their hands on the game. I still don't know if I like that or not haha, but I guess it's inevitable.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Japan can spoil my Mewtwo. In fact: I'd almost prefer it if they did.

Rather know all newcomers before I become all hopeful, and Chorus Men, Shulk, Chrom and other **** become unlockables when I still am hopeful the Gematsu leak is possibly fake. No thanks. Wii U's ain't cheap or anything you know!

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
I'm thinking Mewtwo will be kept secret as well, sadly. I'd love to see him revealed prior to release, and have a decent trailer (and not being treated as just a returning veteran and get a boring gameplay trailer like Sonic, or worse, no trailer at all). But I guess encountering a "Challenger approaching"-scene with Mewtwo's shadow would also be pretty cool.

If kept secret, his inclusion in the game will probably be spoiled by some Japanese players once they get their hands on the game. I still don't know if I like that or not haha, but I guess it's inevitable.
I'm not sure if I like the idea of other players spoiling it for me. If the release was simultaneous in all countries, I wouldn't mind that Mewtwo would be kept secret since I can discover it for myself - which would be more awesome than any trailer, but since JP is getting it first, I think I'd rather see them reveal Mewtwo with a badass trailer, preferably something similar to the anime trailer with Pit and Link.. but that might be asking for too much. He deserves it though, from being snubbed from Brawl. Either way though, as long as he's in the game, I don't care how he's revealed. You hear that Nintendo? :p

Probably not everyone but some of them. Maybe even a new character. But there will be secret character.
I'd say there'll be about 1 veteran per month, we'll get roughly 3/4/5 depending on how many are revealed in the potential August direct, leaving 14/13/12 secret characters respectively (assuming we have 50 characters). That seems like a pretty good amount.
My money's still on Mewtwo being a secret character, having been secret in Melee.
I wonder how many characters they'll reveal next month. It's cutting it close. There's a Nintendo Direct next month right? I wonder who they'll reveal.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I honestly think that Chrom, Shulk, and Chorus Kids will be starters revealed before release.

Chrom is the newest FE lord.
Shulk and Chorus Kids represent notable new IPs.

Although if one had to be unlockable it would probably be Shulk.

As for Mewtwo, I would prefer a pre-release reveal complete with a CGI trailer.
So I can see it live and be taken by surprise rather than spoiling it for myself on the website.
Preferably in that Direct I was talking about.

Xigger

Smash Lord
I honestly think that Chrom, Shulk, and Chorus Kids will be starters revealed before release.

Chrom is the newest FE lord.
Shulk and Chorus Kids represent notable new IPs.

Although if one had to be unlockable it would probably be Shulk.

So I can see it live and be taken by surprise rather than spoiling it for myself on the website.
If one had to be unlockable, I'd rather it be the third blue-haired swordsman that already has two blue-haired swordsman starters(?) announced.

Only Charizard had a CG reveal, partially because it was Pokemon-themed, partially because it was a reveal for Greninja, and maybe to show that Charizard is by himself this time.

For Mewtwo, I'd say he's like Charizard: still a veteran, but celebrated as a newcomer. Not sure if Mewtwo could be coupled with anyone else for a CG trailer. Jigglypuff?...

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
Smash direct at sep 12 11:00pm to reveal the rest of the characters(like 10 by that time.)

Louie G.

Smash Hero
@ Xigger Xigger
Sorry to get off topic, but I think Ike might be unlockable this time around, with Chrom as a starter.

Just my thinking, I could definitely be wrong.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Maybe Sakurai is planing to reveal all the roster before Japan's release. I think that could be a possibility because he hates his stuff to be spoiled (as he stated before: "You can only truly wow a player the first time he sees [a cutscene]. I felt if players saw the cutscenes outside of the game, they would no longer serve as rewards for playing the game, so I've decided against having them."). He knows that if he doesn't reaveal all characters before Japan's release, he'll lose the chance to wow us.
I've always thought that this could be a thing, too. Just didn't want to get my hopes up. But GameFreak almost did this with Pokemon X&Y: they revealed more than 75% of all new Pokemon before release. Us Pokemon fans were initially disappointed, since they had never done that before, and we thought we were getting at least 100 new Pokemon, like before.

So it's a strategy that had a double-edge, unfortunately. It would serve more to please Sakurai than the fans, perhaps, but only if the fans react like the Pokemon fans did. But you know what? The Pokemon fans got over it quick, because everything we DID get was the best it's ever been. Smash 4 could be that way, too.

Steelia

Smash Champion
Mewtwo's technically not a newcomer, but neither was Charizard, and 'zard got a full-fledged reveal in Greninja's trailer since he separated from Pokemon Trainer. So perhaps Mewtwo will share a reveal trailer with a true Newcomer to the series? Mewtwo's such a big-name want, I can't imagine who he could appear with without stealing some thunder.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
That's the thing: Mewtwo is the most hyped character on the planet.

I doubt many people would complain about a Mewtwo trailer.
It's really a great idea to hype up the game.

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
Mewtwo's technically not a newcomer, but neither was Charizard, and 'zard got a full-fledged reveal in Greninja's trailer since he separated from Pokemon Trainer. So perhaps Mewtwo will share a reveal trailer with a true Newcomer to the series? Mewtwo's such a big-name want, I can't imagine who he could appear with without stealing some thunder.
Agreed. If they were to go the trailer reveal route, I can see them doing it for a few veterans, and THEN halfway through or towards the end, reveal Mewtwo.

That's the thing: Mewtwo is the most hyped character on the planet.

I doubt many people would complain about a Mewtwo trailer.
It's really a great idea to hype up the game.
If there's anything that would hype up the Smash community (or make it explode) at this point since all the big names were revealed (Pac-Man, Mega Man, etc.), it would be Mewtwo's return. Lol, "Mewtwo Strikes Back"..

Last edited:

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Only Charizard had a CG reveal, partially because it was Pokemon-themed, partially because it was a reveal for Greninja, and maybe to show that Charizard is by himself this time.
Rosalina and Megaman both got CGI trailers in the same style as Greninja/Charizard. Wii Fit Trainer, too, even though her "trailer" was only about a minute or two long. Villager also got about... 30 seconds or so. They were all done in the same CGI style.

Since there isn't likely to be another Pokemon newcomer unless they boot out Jigglypuff (and I'm not convinced Sakurai wants that), If Mewtwo was going to get his little hurrah in high-def glory, it'd have to be for just him (as much as I'd like it, that's not likely), or as a group reveal with at least one other character, like Charizard.

Who would be paired up with Mewtwo? Well, I think another Pokemon isn't likely. So I see two plausible scenarios: either in a "veteran" trailer showcasing several returning fighters (where Mewtwo would undoubtedly recieve top billing, if there was no newcomer afterwards); or, as the opening act for a newcomer of some sort. But mixing and matching franchises being revealed? Seems odd, huh? I always did like the "villain" angle, even though Mewtwo isn't a proper villain. But he does look the part, and there are many highly desired villains for this Smash. So, I could see something like that, too.

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
Rosalina and Megaman both got CGI trailers in the same style as Greninja/Charizard. Wii Fit Trainer, too, even though her "trailer" was only about a minute or two long. Villager also got about... 30 seconds or so. They were all done in the same CGI style.

Since there isn't likely to be another Pokemon newcomer unless they boot out Jigglypuff (and I'm not convinced Sakurai wants that), If Mewtwo was going to get his little hurrah in high-def glory, it'd have to be for just him (as much as I'd like it, that's not likely), or as a group reveal with at least one other character, like Charizard.

Who would be paired up with Mewtwo? Well, I think another Pokemon isn't likely. So I see two plausible scenarios: either in a "veteran" trailer showcasing several returning fighters (where Mewtwo would undoubtedly recieve top billing, if there was no newcomer afterwards); or, as the opening act for a newcomer of some sort. But mixing and matching franchises being revealed? Seems odd, huh? I always did like the "villain" angle, even though Mewtwo isn't a proper villain. But he does look the part, and there are many highly desired villains for this Smash. So, I could see something like that, too.
Here's one of many scenarios I can imagine: It could start with a few characters fighting, then, "Jigglypuff joins the battle", some more fighting, "Captain Falcon enters the arena!", "Ganondorf arrives", a smash ball flies into battle and everyone beats each other up, then SWOOP, someone steals the smash ball. Moment of silence, all the characters with a WTF look. "Mewtwo returns!", crunches the smash ball, turns into Mewtwo Y. (Assuming that's his final smash.) Heads explode.

Another possible one would be to showoff the Pokemon side of Smash. Have all the Pokemon characters fighting, show the different Pokeball Pokemons, possibly a new Pokemon stage, have a Jigglypuff reveal and by the end of the trailer, have the Mewtwo reveal.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I just don't see a Jigglypuff + Mewtwo trailer. Many veterans have gotten little to no fanfare. Is Jigglypuff better than Luigi, Ike, Marth, et all? Hardly.

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
I just don't see a Jigglypuff + Mewtwo trailer. Many veterans have gotten little to no fanfare. Is Jigglypuff better than Luigi, Ike, Marth, et all? Hardly.
True, but in my scenarios it's more of a theme, whether it be a veterans theme or Pokemon theme. Really just a set up for Mewtwo since he's a returning veteran.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
Here's one of many scenarios I can imagine: It could start with a few characters fighting, then, "Jigglypuff joins the battle", some more fighting, "Captain Falcon enters the arena!", "Ganondorf arrives", a smash ball flies into battle and everyone beats each other up, then SWOOP, someone steals the smash ball. Moment of silence, all the characters with a WTF look. "Mewtwo returns!", crunches the smash ball, turns into Mewtwo Y. (Assuming that's his final smash.) Heads explode.

Another possible one would be to showoff the Pokemon side of Smash. Have all the Pokemon characters fighting, show the different Pokeball Pokemons, possibly a new Pokemon stage, have a Jigglypuff reveal and by the end of the trailer, have the Mewtwo reveal.
It should be "Captain Falcon races in!"

Steelia

Smash Champion
True, but she looks like Kirby, so that'd be good enough for Sakurai :d

SmashBroski

Smash Ace
NNID
BookerDewott
3DS FC
1907-9072-8026
In my opinion, I don't want Mewtwo back in this Smash Bros. I thought he was garbage in Melee.
That's a really poor opinion as to why a character should be excluded from the game.

Let me share a story with you. Back when I was in middle school, I disliked Marth, since I thought he was a "she" and looked ridiculous with those boots and tiara and his "awkward" attacks; in essence, Marth was a character I never pictured myself playing. But nonetheless, I never wished malice towards Marth or his fans and little did my ten-year old that the legendary Ken was brandishing Marth to shake the foundations of the competitive Smash community.

Fast-forward to college, where I would discover Fire Emblem: Awakening and my friend Cranky. Cranky's advice on top of my newfound interest in Fire Emblem led to me actually learning Marth's playstyle and becoming one of my favorite characters to play in Melee and P:M.

So here's my friend's advice.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Oh man, the original DKC manual! Back when they actually printed cool manuals for games... DKC was the first game I owned ;_;

Anthinus

Smash Journeyman
Oh man, the original DKC manual! Back when they actually printed cool manuals for games... DKC was the first game I owned ;_;
The first 2 games I owned were Super Mario Bros. 3 and TMNT for NES (and with manuals).

I lost SMB3 manual as a kid and that still haunts me nowdays ;(

Oops!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
aguyudontknow
3DS FC
1693-1719-9908
I still have all my N64 manuals. No boxes though. But still, they're fun to look at every now and then.

On topic, I'm rooting for a veteran- or Pokemon-themed fancy reveal for Mewtwo as well. He deserves something more than a POTD treatment at least, and I assume Sakurai knows that. I don't think he'll let us down. Have faith, my friends!

Metros

Smash Ace
NNID
metros2soul
After not being in Brawl, I think Mewtwo is more than deserving of his own trailer. Either way I'll be happy with how he is revealed, just as long as he's in the game. I think having his own reveal instead of being unlockable would generate hype but also draw in a LOT of potential new fans that have learned of his character through the female Mewtwo.

Mewtwo in HD CGI? Shut up and take my money already!:150:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
A Smash Bros Direct in August/September gives us a better opportunity to see everyone before release.
Well i doubt that will happen before the release.

But theres 1 character that could be reveal at what ever the august direct is.

If its august 6th when this direct is, Ridley qualifies because thats the metroid anniversary and its a special case.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Well i doubt that will happen before the release.

But theres 1 character that could be reveal at what ever the august direct is.

If its august 6th when this direct is, Ridley qualifies because thats the metroid anniversary and its a special case.
Well Rhythm Heaven's anniversary is in August too...

And Sakurai has thrown us curveballs for sure.

So no, probably not Ridley, even though there's the anniversary.

If he's in he's secret IMO.

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
Well Rhythm Heaven's anniversary is in August too...

And Sakurai has thrown us curveballs for sure.

So no, probably not Ridley, even though there's the anniversary.

If he's in he's secret IMO.
Wouldn't make much sense to tease a secret character though. It seems like secret characters are either shown outright (3rd party and Luigi, other possible ones we don't know about yet) or not mentioned at all until release (Wolf, Falco, Toon Link, etc). I'd say since the Chorus Men haven't been explicitly teased yet outside of the spirits which Sakurai himself didn't mention, Ridley would have a better chance of being revealed.
Unless Ridley is deconfirmed and Chorus Men are revealed anyway. But this is off topic anyway. What customizations do you think would Mewtwo get to his existing Melee moveset?

Oops!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
aguyudontknow
3DS FC
1693-1719-9908
Anything but Swift. Some people have speculated on that, seeing as he used it in the Origins anime, but that would be so weird to see on Mewtwo..
I agree. Heck, I thought it looked weird in Origins.

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
I agree. Heck, I thought it looked weird in Origins.
Yes, lol. A bunch of cutesy little stars and Mewtwo don't go together. Mewtwo is not cute! But I guess they're trying to differentiate Origins Mewtwo from movie Mewtwo. If they're going the Mega Mewtwo Y route, I assume they'll draw more inspiration from the Genesect movie - I hope. I'm gonna laugh so hard though if one of his powers is to cancel out incoming projectiles. I just watched it yesterday for the first time and boy did they use the heck out of that concept. Which begs the question, if Lucario has Aura Sphere and the first movie is outdated, I wonder if they'll even bother with Shadow Ball? It's a signature move mainly due to the movie so.. Oh and some people were speculating on that big spoon. That would be uh... interesting. Unlikely but it would be a complete WTF.

Steelia

Smash Champion
I'd be for the spoon. It may handle similarly to a sword, but at least it's not a sword. :d

Continuing this tangent from a few pages ago, it appears Mewtwo has all three of his forms available in that Pokemon Art Academy to draw. His original and Mega Y forms are unlocked after completing their courses, but the Mega X form is unlocked only after you complete absolutely everything. Not even Arceus needs everything finished to unlock his drawing. The only other Pokemon who need this requirement are Xerneas and Yveltal, the two main mascots of Pokemon X & Y.

Just thought it was interesting~

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
Ah, I didn't see that in the spoilers on Serebii.net, probably because the game just came out and they haven't unlocked everything. That's great though, like I mentioned before, if Mewtwo can cycle between his two forms like Pokemon Trainer, that would be amazing..

And yeah, I'd be all for the spoon as well. A bit cheesy but not the bad kind of cheesy. At first I didn't get it, but then I was like, oh right.. psychics...

Last edited:

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
Mewtwo's side b is throwing a magic spoon or something...COOL!You guys think he will have completely new moves or variations?

Oops!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
aguyudontknow
3DS FC
1693-1719-9908
What are some opinions on Mewtwo's voice acting/sounds? Personally I'd love to get some voice clips from the first movie, but I doubt that's happening. Aside from that, the only other thing I'd prefer is his in-game cry for an entrance noise, like in P:M, and Origins noises for everything else.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I'd rather have a VA that could easily replicate Mewtwo's deep movie voice. This time with him talking in the English version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom