• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fact 54 - Mewtwo Is On The Way [Social/General Discussion]

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I think that for Mewtwo they might just do what seems to be very common in the game, which is either directly ripping sound effects from past iterations, directly ripping sound effects from past iterations and altering the duration and backround sounds, or directly ripping sound effects from past iterations and altering the pitch. (all of these occur in Mario's up-b).

Or there is that possibility that they get new sounds and a new voice actor altogether.

Who knows?

NK1046

Smash Apprentice
I think that for Mewtwo they might just do what seems to be very common in the game, which is either directly ripping sound effects from past iterations, directly ripping sound effects from past iterations and altering the duration and backround sounds, or directly ripping sound effects from past iterations and altering the pitch. (all of these occur in Mario's up-b).

Or there is that possibility that they get new sounds and a new voice actor altogether.

Who knows?
The problem with that is Sakurai said that it would be really hard for the team to get data from melee because it is too old, so they will have to make mewtwo from scratch and get a new voice actor or the one from melee back

SaucyDancer

Smash Ace
NNID
SaucyDancer
3DS FC
0576-4794-0041
The problem with that is Sakurai said that it would be really hard for the team to get data from melee because it is too old, so they will have to make mewtwo from scratch and get a new voice actor or the one from melee back
I think in that context he was referring to the character files not including sound. Sound is quite easy to rip from a game. Project M got the Melee Mewtwo sounds and I could probably do it too in 5 minutes if you gave me the tools to do so.

Spirst

I think in that context he was referring to the character files not including sound. Sound is quite easy to rip from a game. Project M got the Melee Mewtwo sounds and I could probably do it too in 5 minutes if you gave me the tools to do so.
Was thinking the same thing myself. Would there be a quality difference in comparison to other sounds though? I know Smash 4 has some Brawl rips but are those ripped without any sort of modification?

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
He was probably talking about simply the models. I can imagine how crappy it would be to try to update a Melee model to HD and into a different game with different coding on top of that.

Spirst

if marth can still speak japanese, so should mewtwo
You mean Mewtwo speaking in Japanese even in the English version? That'd be way too weird. Marth spoke Japanese because his respective game wasn't localized at the time. It took so long for it to become localized that his Japanese voice was kept for Smash.

Smashbro596

Smash Ace
You mean Mewtwo speaking in Japanese even in the English version? That'd be way too weird. Marth spoke Japanese because his respective game wasn't localized at the time. It took so long for it to become localized that his Japanese voice was kept for Smash.
yet even today smash 4 keeps him speaking japanese. besides, its not too hard for mewtwo to speak.... just during the victory pose.

Last edited:

Spirst

yet even today smash 4 keeps him speaking japanese. besides, its not too hard for mewtwo to speak.... just during the victory pose.
Yes, that's why I said:

It took so long for it to become localized that his Japanese voice was kept for Smash.
Mewtwo could speak during his victory pose, but I'm 99% certain it won't be Japanese universally.

LoveGame

Master of the Disco Stick
NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
Surprisingly enough Marth and Roy speak English in Awakening and it's not too bad! But the Japanese speech in Smash is kind of a tradition.

I think they will at least use some new sounds for Mewtwo. They seem like they're really trying to please the fans and I don't see why not. Smash 4 isn't a very "lazy" game.

SaucyDancer

Smash Ace
NNID
SaucyDancer
3DS FC
0576-4794-0041
Was thinking the same thing myself. Would there be a quality difference in comparison to other sounds though? I know Smash 4 has some Brawl rips but are those ripped without any sort of modification?
The sounds would probably be remastered which would make them sound a lot better.

C3CC

Smash Lord
P

Please don't.

I would LOVE to hear him say something in the English language version this time.
I could accept that if they are simple, well-elaborated sentences, and not like some of the ones that have been posted here. Some are way too cheesy and would kind of ruin his character.

Igzex

I wish I looked this good with lipstick
i need more news on mewtwo! pics, vids, anything >w< just knowing hes in makes me on edge!
And therein lies the most interesting part of Mewtwo's announcement for me. It put me at ease about Mewtwo ever being a fighter in the series again. However, it leaves me with several new uncertainties. Smash for Wii U will hopefully be a good distraction from these anxieties until spring arrives.

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
I have to say, McConnohie sounds awesome, particularly for a guy like Mewtwo. It's very calm, but extremely threatening at the same time. I don't know if I'd rank him as high as Joles or Blum on my personal list, but having this guy voice Mewtwo would still make me beyond happy. It's about as perfect as you can get for Mewtwo. Excellent find!
This is why it's great to be able to congregate like this a discuss stuff. We can all introduce each other to new ideas and concepts, and sometimes, it gives us a whole new idea to add to our list of "It'd be awesome if this happened" stuff. I really like the Boards.
U-Throw, you've gotta be one of my favorite guys/gals on here.
In light of this fact, please accept this killer picture I found, in lieu of some kind of friendly, "awwww"-inspiring quote in a neat font:
Pokemon-X-and-Y-part-2-Daily-Nintendo-Concept-art-Artwork-18.jpg

Last edited:

Metros

Smash Ace
NNID
metros2soul
I could accept that if they are simple, well-elaborated sentences, and not like some of the ones that have been posted here. Some are way too cheesy and would kind of ruin his character.
I am sure they would be good ones. Sakurai surprised us WITH bringing our beloved Mewtwo back, I'm sure he'll surprise us again one way or another!

SaucyDancer

Smash Ace
NNID
SaucyDancer
3DS FC
0576-4794-0041
Yeah I agree. If Mewtwo's lines are anything like some of the ones posted here I will be very disappointed.

Spirst

Yeah I agree. If Mewtwo's lines are anything like some of the ones posted here I will be very disappointed.
Like this one?
vvvvv

Victory 1: Mewtwo holds her hands to her heart, looks slightly down, and in Miriam Pultro's voice she says "You'll be fine. I didn't use all of my power". She then mega evolves into Mewtwo Y and flies off.

Victory 2: Mewtwo spins around like in melee but then in Miriam Pultro's voice she says "Let's be friends forever" as various wild Pokemon join her.

Victory 3: Mewtwo strikes her signature arm pointing at the camera pose but in Miriam Pultro's voice she says "I didn't want to fight but to stop this senseless destruction I must..."

Lose: Claps for the winner.

All of this meshes frighteningly well with the sounds of the player screaming at the tv in horror, anger, and disbelief.
At that point, just stop playing the game.

Last edited:

SaucyDancer

Smash Ace
NNID
SaucyDancer
3DS FC
0576-4794-0041
Except...

:4darkpit:
I like Dark Pit ):

And I don't really see how he is lazy. If anything his inclusion shows extra effort. Dark Pit was added at the end of development, the devs could have stopped with the roster they had but instead decided to put in a few extra weeks worth of effort to get Dark Pit in and please the fans who wanted him which would also beef up the roster a bit at the same time. Dark Pit doesnt replace anyone and if you removed him there would be a blank space. Anyway this is not the thread to defend Dark Pit in all his glory. This is to discuss Mewtwo in all his glory.

Also I was talking to the manager of my local EB Games (basically just the Australian Gamestop) and he said that he just had a meeting with their Nintendo rep who told him Mewtwo looks amazing. Its not much but its something.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Keep in mind he was supposed to be an alt a la Male WFT, but mid-development was given (admittedly very few) differences from Pit and his own roster slot. That's more resourceful than lazy.
I like Dark Pit ):

And I don't really see how he is lazy. If anything his inclusion shows extra effort. Dark Pit was added at the end of development, the devs could have stopped with the roster they had but instead decided to put in a few extra weeks worth of effort to get Dark Pit in and please the fans who wanted him which would also beef up the roster a bit at the same time. Dark Pit doesnt replace anyone and if you removed him there would be a blank space. Anyway this is not the thread to defend Dark Pit in all his glory. This is to discuss Mewtwo in all his glory.

Also I was talking to the manager of my local EB Games (basically just the Australian Gamestop) and he said that he just had a meeting with their Nintendo rep who told him Mewtwo looks amazing. Its not much but its something.
Fair enough. Both are valid points.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Can I say that I like clones?

They add a whole new layer to a character's meta, encouraging exploring new ways to use both the original and clone.

Last edited:

MrGame&Rock

Smash Ace
NNID
SpenstarHD
For one of his taunts, Id be really cool if he got hit by an offscreen Ultra Ball, caught in it, only for him to break out after one wiggle. So frustrating...

Spatman

Smash Ace
Can I say that I like clones?

They add a whole new layer to a character's meta, encouraging exploring new ways to use both the original and clone.
I don't love the concept of "clone" (I find it a bit charming, though), but paradoxically I prefer Lucina than Marth, Dark Pit than Pit and overall Dr Mario (one of my favourite characters) than the plumber

...btw, I still prefer Mew than his clone XP

LoveGame

Master of the Disco Stick
NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
Mewtwo and Snake are my favorite clone characters.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
I don't love the concept of "clone" (I find it a bit charming, though), but paradoxically I prefer Lucina than Marth, Dark Pit than Pit and overall Dr Mario (one of my favourite characters) than the plumber

...btw, I still prefer Mew than his clone XP
I see nothing wrong there. I far prefer Dr. Mario over Mario, but that doesn't necessarily mean I like him as a clone. I'd much rather him have an original moveset instead of a Mario clone. Dr. Tornado being retained was a step in the right direction for Doc.
However, given that Sakurai said characters who aren't unique enough to be their own character will be made into Alts., it's a little upsetting to see the Koopalings and, in particular, Alph be relegated to Alts., yet see Doctor Mario, who is literally Mario in a Doctor getup, and Dark Pit become new characters. It just doesn't add up.
Also, I believe the reason Dark Pit is getting the full force of the clone hate is because he's about as close to a carbon copy of another character as you can get. There's little difference in their movesets, his appearance is near-identical to Pit's, and, perhaps most of all, he's from a game Sakurai designed. It makes it seem like the reason Dark Pit was added was because Sakurai wanted a character from one of his own games. That may not have been the reason, but all the other points stacked up on it make it look like a lot of Sakurbias.
Also, I think the reason Doc and Lucina are getting a pass is because Doc is a veteran and is basically Melee Mario, and Lucina because her unique sword mechanics make for an entirely different playstyle.

SaucyDancer

Smash Ace
NNID
SaucyDancer
3DS FC
0576-4794-0041
Anyway getting back on topic, do you think Mewtwo will be released alongside another Pokemon stage or will it be just the character?

MYU2

Smash Apprentice
Anyway getting back on topic, do you think Mewtwo will be released alongside another Pokemon stage or will it be just the character?
Hopefully Cerulean Cave, if not then we still got the Miiverse stage from the direct.

Igzex

I wish I looked this good with lipstick
Shorts kid should've been a playable character. His gameplay can be based somewhat on Rosalina and Luma but his other guy is his Rattata. He can also grab and tether to ledges with his Ekans. His Up+ B is like a dragon punch and then he parachutes down with his shorts. His Down+B has him covering something with his shorts like those prisoner guys from Metal Slug and what he's hiding will either be a small explosive or a food item.

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
Shorts kid should've been a playable character. His gameplay can be based somewhat on Rosalina and Luma but his other guy is his Rattata. He can also grab and tether to ledges with his Ekans. His Up+ B is like a dragon punch and then he parachutes down with his shorts. His Down+B has him covering something with his shorts like those prisoner guys from Metal Slug and what he's hiding will either be a small explosive or a food item.
And he grabs with a bug-catching net like Villager.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom