• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fact 54 - Mewtwo Is On The Way [Social/General Discussion]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sage of Ice

Smash Ace
NNID
SageofIce
YES OH YES

Mewtwo's not just one of my favorite Smash characters but one of my favorite game characters of all. That he wasn't back this time, when all the stars had aligned for him, suggested to me that he'd never be back. To be honest it kinda had me disillusioned with Smash Bros. as a whole - Career Day Mario came back and Pit is on the roster twice but I can't get the one character I'll ever want? When they announced there would be a Direct focused on Wii U Smash, I sorta shrugged and muttered a gloomy "why bother" in the most cliche angsty tone I could muster. Apparently I should've given it a chance.

It could be argued that I'm a little excited for Mewtwo's return.

Welcome back, old friend.

LoveGame

Master of the Disco Stick
NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
YES OH YES

Mewtwo's not just one of my favorite Smash characters but one of my favorite game characters of all. That he wasn't back this time, when all the stars had aligned for him, suggested to me that he'd never be back. To be honest it kinda had me disillusioned with Smash Bros. as a whole - Career Day Mario came back and Pit is on the roster twice but I can't get the one character I'll ever want? When they announced there would be a Direct focused on Wii U Smash, I sorta shrugged and muttered a gloomy "why bother" in the most cliche angsty tone I could muster. Apparently I should've given it a chance.

Can't say I didn't feel exactly the same. Every time a big Direct was announced, I'd get mad hype only to leave disappointed by whatever boring newcomer was shown. King K.Rool? Mewtwo? Nah, just more generic heroes I'll never main. Meh.

I didn't even know the Wii U Direct was on that day, so I missed it initially. Then I got a message on Skype from my friend/Smash rival.

"Good news for you". I already knew it was going to be that one of the characters I wanted got confirmed and I'd finally have a real main. I didn't flip out, but I felt so happy that finally something I wanted got added to the game. I then went out and bought some Mike's Apple Firebombs to celebrate. A day I'll surely never forget!

D

Deleted member

It's just great to hear some positivity toward him after all the hate he's been receiving recently.
In my experience being alive, people generally hate or are antagonistic towards anything that is very much hyped, celebrated, loved, appreciated or in any way put up on a pedestal when said people have not for themselves been able to understand, appreciate or be familiar with said thing.

It's an interesting but persistent phenomenon, and I've fallen victim to it as well. I sincerely believe that, for example, those who want Jigglypuff out of Smash Bros. have never actually experienced how good and fun Jigglypuff can be in Smash. Those who don't care about Mewtwo didn't have a strong relationship with the Pokemon before Melee, probably never saw the first Pokemon movie, etc.

But it would be nice if people, more often than not, could just be happy that other people are happy, even if it's about something they don't understand or appreciate for themselves.

LoveGame

NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
In my experience being alive, people generally hate or are antagonistic towards anything that is very much hyped, celebrated, loved, appreciated or in any way put up on a pedestal when said people have not for themselves been able to understand, appreciate or be familiar with said thing.

It's an interesting but persistent phenomenon, and I've fallen victim to it as well. I sincerely believe that, for example, those who want Jigglypuff out of Smash Bros. have never actually experienced how good and fun Jigglypuff can be in Smash. Those who don't care about Mewtwo didn't have a strong relationship with the Pokemon before Melee, probably never saw the first Pokemon movie, etc.

But it would be nice if people, more often than not, could just be happy that other people are happy, even if it's about something they don't understand or appreciate for themselves.
For me, it's always the opposite.

Everyone gets super-hyped over characters I see zero appeal in and dislike (Rosalina, for example), whereas they're extremely negative towards ones I like and would actually put time into getting good with (Mewtwo or even Ridley). It's just my luck, I guess.

D

Deleted member

Everyone gets super-hyped over characters I see zero appeal in and dislike (Rosalina, for example), whereas they're extremely negative towards ones I like and would actually put time into getting good with (Mewtwo or even Ridley). It's just my luck, I guess.
Yes, but see I was speaking about the possible reasons behind anyone disliking something others really do like.
For example, why do you dislike Rosalina? Did you ever play Mario Galaxy? Do you like Daisy more than Rosalina? And does your dislike of Rosalina grow stronger the more you realize how popular she is with others?

LoveGame

NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
Yes, but see I was speaking about the possible reasons behind anyone disliking something others really do like.
For example, why do you dislike Rosalina? Did you ever play Mario Galaxy? Do you like Daisy more than Rosalina? And does your dislike of Rosalina grow stronger the more you realize how popular she is with others?
True dat. I did actually play SMG and didn't care for the game overall (I was really big on 64 and Sunshine and didn't like Galaxy's changes), so a character introduced in SMG leaves a bad taste in my mouth, if you will. I never liked how overly similar she was to Peach in terms of appearance (couldn't they have at least given her black hair or something?). I felt like there were enough Mario characters, and I never main them outside of 64 Luigi, so I naturally wasn't gonna be hyped. I knew she was going to be in just because she's in everything that Mario touches these days. Her Smash playstyle doesn't quite suit me, either. I'm pretty neutral toward Daisy, and the constant hype for Rosalina does annoy me, but it doesn't make me hate the character more; just the fans who almost always coincidentally hate Mewtwo. :ohwell:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
True dat. I did actually play SMG and didn't care for the game overall (I was really big on 64 and Sunshine and didn't like Galaxy's changes), so a character introduced in SMG leaves a bad taste in my mouth, if you will. I never liked how overly similar she was to Peach in terms of appearance (couldn't they have at least given her black hair or something?). I felt like there were enough Mario characters, and I never main them outside of 64 Luigi, so I naturally wasn't gonna be hyped. I knew she was going to be in just because she's in everything that Mario touches these days. Her Smash playstyle doesn't quite suit me, either. I'm pretty neutral toward Daisy, and the constant hype for Rosalina does annoy me, but it doesn't make me hate the character more; just the fans who almost always coincidentally hate Mewtwo. :ohwell:
I believe she was originally intended to be related to peach and that's why she looks so similar

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion

Story of my life.

I did play Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 (loved them both), and I dislike Daisy as well, but I cannot stand Rosalina. I dislike her because I find her dreadfully boring. Her personality is vaguely defined helpfulness, and nothing more. Despite being one of the few Mario characters with a backstory, they never bring it up or do anything with it, which is a huge amound of wasted potential. She also doesn't even compare to characters like Yoshi and Wario who have had successful careers with games of their own, yet she makes it into literally everything, despite there being far more interesting choices. She even made it into this game despite being a side character in every game she's in, and is far and away the best character, which will give ammo to this point: Even though this is no fault of Nintendo, her fanbase is the absolute worst. I mean JHC is it bad.

Last edited:

LoveGame

NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
Story of my life.

I did play Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 (loved them both), and I dislike Daisy as well, but I cannot stand Rosalina. I dislike her because I find her dreadfully boring. Her personality is vaguely defined helpfulness, and nothing more. Despite being one of the few Mario characters with a backstory, they never bring it up or do anything with it, which is a huge amound of wasted potential. She also doesn't even compare to characters like Yoshi and Wario who have had successful careers with games of their own, yet she made into this game. Lastly, even though this is no fault of Nintendo, her fanbase is the absolute worst. I mean JHC is it bad.
That's how I feel. This dude on Pokecommunity was calling me out for liking Mewtwo and Wolf while going on and on about how "deep and complex" Rosalina's backstory is. While she has way more than most Mario characters (which is cool on Nintendo's part), as you said, they do nothing with it and do not expand upon it. Hell, she had almost no role in SMG2 for whatever reason.

I have nothing against people who main her. One of my best friends is pretty much a dedicated Rosalina main and he makes a great Smash rival. If anything, he helps me learn the MU. Can't wait to face him on the Wii U with my Mewtwo.

D

Deleted member

Cool cool. I think it's good every once in a while to look inward to see where our opinions originate from, and to also realize where others are coming from.

As for Mewtwo, while he is well known, I think it's safe to say that there are a lot of Smash fans who either aren't into Pokemon or who started getting into Pokemon after Mewtwo's era. So some people just have no connection, but then might have gotten annoyed by how enthusiastic some Mewtwo fans are, and thus you have your Mewtwo haters.

As for Rosalina, I don't think she's the greatest thing since sliced bread, but I don't have anything against her. In my opinion, she's pretty fresh as far as Mario characters go, and represents feminine traits that are often lacking in video games: independence, calmness, a motherly nature, inherent power, etc. with the addition of a backstory and how she came to be that way. She's not sexualized, youthful, or violent. I think the video game industry in general needs more Rosalina's and less...well, where to begin.

But that being said, I still choose Daisy over her in MK8. :)

Staarih

Smash Master
I saw some of you guys talk about Mewtwo's new model and how it's the best he's ever looked, and I have to agree. The proportions and just the design of him looks awesome and the best he has ever looked, in my eyes at least. I can't wait to try him out!

D

Deleted member

I saw some of you guys talk about Mewtwo's new model and how it's the best he's ever looked, and I have to agree. The proportions and just the design of him looks awesome and the best he has ever looked, in my eyes at least. I can't wait to try him out!
I agree. Especially after the 3DS trophy didn't quite look right to me.

LoveGame

NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
Cool cool. I think it's good every once in a while to look inward to see where our opinions originate from, and to also realize where others are coming from.

As for Mewtwo, while he is well known, I think it's safe to say that there are a lot of Smash fans who either aren't into Pokemon or who started getting into Pokemon after Mewtwo's era. So some people just have no connection, but then might have gotten annoyed by how enthusiastic some Mewtwo fans are, and thus you have your Mewtwo haters.

As for Rosalina, I don't think she's the greatest thing since sliced bread, but I don't have anything against her. In my opinion, she's pretty fresh as far as Mario characters go, and represents feminine traits that are often lacking in video games: independence, calmness, a motherly nature, inherent power, etc. with the addition of a backstory and how she came to be that way. She's not sexualized, youthful, or violent. I think the video game industry in general needs more Rosalina's and less...well, where to begin.

But that being said, I still choose Daisy over her in MK8. :)
Those are some of the reasons I like Samus so much. She's my secondary main in Melee and 4, and I enjoy Metroid overall. While ZSS is definitely fan service-y, her regular appearance is the antithesis of it. She's a pretty three-dimensional character if you ignore her Other M iteration.

But yeah, you're always gonna have people who simply aren't fans of some characters' home series. I haven't enjoyed a Mario title since 2010 tbh, and I grew up with the 64, so "Retro" characters like Rob, Mac, and DHD hold no appeal for me. Some dudes just weren't there for G1 and Mewtwo wasn't heavily available after that outside of the remakes til Gen 6 kinda revived him with the megas, Origins, and the new Femtwo movie.

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
I love that they went out of their way to give him a fresh new model instead of simply recycling it from Melee with some touch-ups.

LoveGame

NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
Man, all of our Mewtwo icons look so ballin'. We should put 'em together as a collage or something for the group/thread/whatever.

Last edited:

Smashbro596

Smash Ace
Hello, fellow Mewtwo fans! I have returned from Scrappy Cruddy Hell Of Ominous Learning (Called "S.C.H.O.O.L.," in some regions, from what I understand).
And, I have returned with a question I thought of in Waste of Time Gym!

What do you think Mewtwo's homestage will be, if you even think he will have one at all? And, if you think he will have a homestage, what tracks do you think will play on it, and what stage hazards do you want it to have?

I'm personally hoping for Unknown/Cerulean Cave, but under the name Mewtwo's Cave, because that sounds cooler. I'd want stage hazards like stalactites falling onto stage, and boulders and waves coming from the background (I'd add a pool of water for dramatic purposes; just trust me). I'll post a (poorly) drawn mock-up later on, including spawn points and stuff.
As far as tracks go, this, this, and something like this. There are various other themes, like the XY "Vs. Gym Leader" and "Vs. Elite Four," that I absolutely love, but since they aren't directly related to Mewtwo, I didn't include them.

I've got way too much time on my hands in Gym...
gyms a sucky class. seriously...... i think only the jocks have fun in a class like that. annnyyywayy.... im hoping for new stages for sm4sh. i dont think the unova pokemon league or lumious city are gonna cut it for good ol mewtwo.

Man, all of our Mewtwo icons look so ballin'. We should put 'em together as a collage or something for the group/thread/whatever.
im a shiny mew. can i join? owo

Last edited:

SureNsync

Smash Journeyman
I'm happy. Even though I'm somewhat sad for K. Rool, Dixie Kong and Ridley. Mewtwo makes up for their absents. With his inclusion, the roster now definitely feels complete.

LoveGame

NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
gyms a sucky class. seriously...... i think only the jocks have fun in a class like that. annnyyywayy.... im hoping for new stages for sm4sh. i dont think the unova pokemon league or lumious city are gonna cut it for good ol mewtwo.

im a shiny mew. can i join? owo
Mew is my favorite gen 1 Pokemon, so I say yes!

LoveGame

NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
I'm happy. Even though I'm somewhat sad for K. Rool, Dixie Kong and Ridley. Mewtwo makes up for their absents. With his inclusion, the roster now definitely feels complete.
I really wanted K. Rool, Ridley, and Wolf, but I wanted Mewtwo the most, so I'm fully satisfied!

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
Before Mewtwo...it just felt like there was something missing. But I can now say that this roster gets a 10/10 from me.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
I just thought of something...Mewtwo is basically like an event Pokemon but for Smash 4 since you download him. What if Gamefreak decided to release an event Mewtwo based on the DLC for Smash? :p

Edit: Maybe shiny since Mewtwo might have his shiny color as an alt...if we are lucky.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Hey, what do you guys think of my Mewtwo avatar?
I made this one from scratch.

I cant wait to settle it in smash with Mewtwo :mewtwomelee:.

Last edited by a moderator:

LoveGame

NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
Here's a Mewtwo drawing. I freehanded it for my Smash group from memory.

Smashbro596

Smash Ace
Mew is my favorite gen 1 Pokemon, so I say yes!
yay! :3 i love both the mew duo equally. in fact, why hasnt mew been a fighter in any of these games? i mean look: a pokemon that can literally learn almost any tm, move tutor, and hm. so many possibilities arise from this, yet its stuck as a pokeball pokemon. even today it has relevence, given how insane it is to get one. it doesnt even do much. just flies through the sky and leaves. for all the things it COULD be doing for cryin out loud!
ahh but i rant.... >w< i hope one day mew gets a proper place as a fighter, given its massive move potential (almost more than any pokemon) alongside its clone (who i love equally)

Last edited:

LoveGame

NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
yay! :3 i love both the mew duo equally. in fact, why hasnt mew been a fighter in any of these games? i mean look: a pokemon that can literally learn almost any tm, move tutor, and hm. so many possibilities arise from this, yet its stuck as a pokeball pokemon. even today it has relevence, given how insane it is to get one. it doesnt even do much. just flies through the sky and leaves. for all the things it COULD be doing for cryin out loud!
ahh but i rant.... >w< i hope one day mew gets a proper place as a fighter, given its massive move potential (almost more than any pokemon) alongside its clone (who i love equally)
As unlikely as it seems, I'd love to see playable Mew. My friend and I made a dream roster in 2002 that included Mew, actually.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
By the way...

Can someone go tell all those angry Mewtwo fans that he's back in now?

Smashbro596

Smash Ace
YES OH YES

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZJ24B8QkDQ

this sums up what i would say to you then.
(if you havent seen animaniacs, you SHOULD.)

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
When they announced there would be a Direct focused on Wii U Smash, I sorta shrugged and muttered a gloomy "why bother" in the most cliche angsty tone I could muster. Apparently I should've given it a chance.
I gave up on Mewtwo when I gave up on DLC, and that was when Sakurai stated that he would be done with all pics of the day by the end of the year. To me, this meant that Nintendo had no big plans for SSB4 after both were released, as surely a DLC character would take until the new year to develop and releasing DLC right on the heels of a release is not Nintendo's style. That was the nail in the coffin for me, and I fully disconnected myself from online Smash discussion in shame.

I didn't think twice about skipping the Direct's live presentation, then at the end of the day went back to the website to check the secret characters page (because even as jaded as I was, I knew Bowser Jr or DHD was getting a trailer and seeing those are always a treat). Then I checked Smashboard's news post to make sure there was nothing else of interest in the direct, and calmly decided to not even bother watching the 50-fact Extravaganza. "The sourest grapes" I told myself, observing how resigned I had become.

Then later I checked Facebook. "More Mewtwo rumors?" I told my friend "Don't play with my heart :("

Then he linked me to a news article that showed the models. THEN I watched the direct. I was so ready to call BS...right up until it went over 50 facts. By that time, I had already went through my internal fits of disbelief and tenuous hype, and at Mewtwo's reveal I was completely calm.

So yeah, that was the full arc of my reaction to the direct and Mewtwo's return. A part of me wishes I had stayed a stickler and had been there watching the very moment of the reveal, a damp spark of hope bursting into flame, but that probably would have given me a heart attack or something. It was better this way. I can't say I am dissatisfied (except for having to shell out money for a character that has every right to be base-game content), but the above ordeal is a testament to how badly they messed up hype for this game. I never, ever thought that I would be rendered indifferent to a Smash direct, but there it happened. Something's deeply wrong there, Sakurai, and only by the forces of serendipity did it happen to be the exact direct that would redeem everything for me.

Last edited:

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
I'd like to see Mew playable. However, until they develop a character that's mostly floating, Mew imo fleshed out to have a fully capable move-set & everything, is 10% or less likely. The closest they've ever gone was Ivysaur as a quadruped, which defies 2-legged bipedal character logic. Mew playable would be amazing, but it's a pipe dream. It's sad too, because all the PKMN moves it can learn from the games, Metronome could be it's Luck-based attack to choose from, sort of like Mr. G&W's Judgement hammer. Owell.:ohwell:

EDIT: Good post @ woopyfrood woopyfrood , would read again. My 60 / 40 optimism dropped to a low 30 / 70, & eventually to a 10 / 90 for Mewtwo when it was all said & done. A month after the release of Smash3DS & still no news besides any small PoTDs, or tiny bits of info that didn't amount to anything worth looking forward to, except for the WiiU. That 50-fact extravaganza was my everything. My dream I've had as a kid playing Smash 64 for as long as I can remember that a good majority of people have had as well I'm sure. More than 4-players at the same time. No more rotations, or waiting & watching others to play when you really wanted to play. 8-player Smash & Mewtwo, those two things by themselves, are a spectacular reason I would purchase the game with no doubt.

Last edited:

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
I'm not sure how I'd feel about Mew. I've never been interested in him, as a Pokémon or as Smash character. I've always been far more partial to his, in my opinion, vastly superior clone. However, I've never really thought about Mew as a character, and it would be unfair and biased for me to shoot him down right off the bat. I might be partial to Mewtwo, but I'll never deliberately shoot down a character I've never even paid a passing thought to without getting to know more about him in my right mind. Like said before, his vast move pool to pull from gives him incredible moveset potential, and that alone grabs my attention, if only a little. I'm interested to see what I can learn about Mew. Granted, we should probably keep it rather short: This thread was create for discussing Mewtwo, not the original.

On a totally unrelated note, I found Super Smash Bros. for Wii U's intro movie. It's super-hype, for anyone who hasn't already seen it!

D

Deleted member

I gave up on Mewtwo when I gave up on DLC, and that was when Sakurai stated that he would be done with all pics of the day by the end of the year. To me, this meant that Nintendo had no big plans for SSB4 after both were released, as surely a DLC character would take until the new year to develop and releasing DLC right on the heels of a release is not Nintendo's style. That was the nail in the coffin for me, and I fully disconnected myself from online Smash discussion in shame.

I didn't think twice about skipping the Direct's live presentation, then at the end of the day went back to the website to check the secret characters page (because even as jaded as I was, I knew Bowser Jr or DHD was getting a trailer and seeing those are always a treat). Then I checked Smashboard's news post to make sure there was nothing else of interest in the direct, and calmly decided to not even bother watching the 50-fact Extravaganza. "The sourest grapes" I told myself, observing how resigned I had become.

Then later I checked Facebook. "More Mewtwo rumors?" I told my friend "Don't play with my heart :("

Then he linked me to a news article that showed the models. THEN I watched the direct. I was so ready to call BS...right up until it went over 50 facts. By that time, I had already went through my internal fits of disbelief and tenuous hype, and at Mewtwo's reveal I was completely calm.

So yeah, that was the full arc of my reaction to the direct and Mewtwo's return. A part of me wishes I had stayed a stickler and had been there watching the very moment of the reveal, a damp spark of hope bursting into flame, but that probably would have given me a heart attack or something. It was better this way. I can't say I am dissatisfied (except for having to shell out money for a character that has every right to be base-game content), but the above ordeal is a testament to how badly they messed up hype for this game. I never, ever thought that I would be rendered indifferent to a Smash direct, but there it happened. Something's deeply wrong there, Sakurai, and only by the forces of serendipity did it happen to be the exact direct that would redeem everything for me.
I can understand where you're coming from. I don't think I ever quit believing that Mewtwo would return, but my hope was sure thin.

Smashbro596

Smash Ace
Yussss ^^ My favorite pokémon in my favorite color! Shiny Mewtwo is best Mewtwo.

@ Smashbro596 Smashbro596 : holy moly I haven't seen that movie in ages. I love the Animaniacs so much.
:p
mewtwos my favorite pokemon in general. from one fan of the psycho psychic cat to another. XD
i saw the whole stream thinking "alright sakurai.... impress me. make me want a wii u"
impress me the stream did.... but not as much as what came at the end....
actual reaction "it cant be... can it?!? CAN IT!?!? OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOD!! *screams like a fangirl"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom