• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fact 54 - Mewtwo Is On The Way [Social/General Discussion]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
it would be funny and epic to have some of his attacks being the spoon, they could be stronger than his tail attacks or other physical attacks that are kinda weak. and in Pokémon, Psychic-types aren't usually famous for their physical prowess, with a few exceptions like Metagross and Gallade.

that said, they could rework Mewtwo's moveset to include newer generation moves, his signature Psystrike starting in Black and White, and they could put the spoon from the manga for stronger physical attacks.

also of note is that, just because it's from the manga, it doesn't mean it can't be in SSB4. in the Pokémon games, there's a TwistedSpoon item that boosts Psychic-type attacks, so it could derive from that too. also reminds me of Kadabra and Alakazam...

Lechteron

Smash Apprentice
Please. Mewtwo is nothing but a spoon apprentice comaperd to Master Chin.

These two spoons of his are rotating at high speeds with himself and an equally powerful crazy, old woman inside to form a private battlefield.

And here he is using spoons to fly!

Also if Mewtwo were to have spoons then as little sense as it makes I demand that there be a Tick costume for him.

:phone:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
who knew that spoons could be such a badass weapon? well, this is Japan after all!

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
If I'm correct, that spoon is a form of concentrated psychic energy. It can be summoned at will, can be extended to great lengths and cut things like buildings in half, can shrink and be shot as a homing projectile, is effective for close-range combat... among other things.

It'd give him much better reach than his tail, at least. And he doesn't have to be carrying it around the whole time, either. Spoon vs. swords? I think spoon wins.
And that's why it would be such an easy excuse to give him some buffs. :awesome:

Personally I'm guessing that Psystrike was based off of his spoon. The spoon is created from special energy but does physical damage, and it's also an attack only Mewtwo can do.

BTW replace it with the Spoon and you'll have a badass Final Smash. :cool:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
And that's why it would be such an easy excuse to give him some buffs. :awesome:

Personally I'm guessing that Psystrike was based off of his spoon. The spoon is created from special energy but does physical damage, and it's also an attack only Mewtwo can do.

BTW replace it with the Spoon and you'll have a badass Final Smash. :cool:
not bad... I think it would be a good idea to combine Psystrike using a materialized spoon. since it's the description of the move: materializing objects using the mind and strike the enemy with them. Instead of whatever object, use the spoon. the concept is the same.

Mewtwo could use the spoon for the Psycho Cut move. Or materialize a sword and cut the foes down.

Akenero

Smash Apprentice
No idea what it would look like though. We'd need to have it on a console Pokemon game or the Pokemon anime in order to imagine aesthetics for it, like we did for Shadow Ball and Aura Sphere.

I think it'd be a bunch of small energy spheres(flashing purple white and black and about 10 of them) that follow you around for mabye 1-2 seconds,do 2% each,about ganondorf's running speed,can turn with a (mabye smaller or larger) 10 ft radius and can be passed on /split group in half(you pass someone you only have 5 chasing you now) to another person and can be shot/sheilded off you but if all hit your shield, the shield is reduced by 1/4 (only on shield to make it balanced) and mewtwo has .5 seconds of starting time.(no clue what that means in a frame)

I do think Pokemon will get 5 slots

5 slots for 5 generations?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Psytrike should look like Magneto's Gravity Squeeze.

D

Deleted member

Psystrike has an animation similar to Tabuu's Off Waves in B/W, so it could be like that.
Supports the crackpot theory that I just made up and don't support that Tabuu was really Mewtwo. :troll:

Then again, Night Daze was like that too, but at least it had a more "explosive wave" type deal in the anime.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Someone mentioned amnesia as a potential move, making the opponent forget a move. In the games it's actually the user who suffers amnesia. In RBY it was the best move in the game alongside body slam and hyper beam.

What would be nuts is if his entrace animation was him exiting the armour suit he wears in the first pokemon movie. What would be even crazier is if he broke out of the suit like how ZSS breaks out of hers then he could actually use the suit pieces as weapons like ZSS.

They'd never do something that cool though.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Someone mentioned amnesia as a potential move, making the opponent forget a move. In the games it's actually the user who suffers amnesia. In RBY it was the best move in the game alongside body slam and hyper beam.

What would be nuts is if his entrace animation was him exiting the armour suit he wears in the first pokemon movie. What would be even crazier is if he broke out of the suit like how ZSS breaks out of hers then he could actually use the suit pieces as weapons like ZSS.

They'd never do something that cool though.
I'd rather see the armor as an alt costume for him, assuming more characters get costumes.

Dexident

Smash Journeyman
Mewtwo has to return. I was completely heart broken when he wasn't included in Brawl.

I've never really healed. Everytime I play Lucario it just... feels wrong. Oh and for the people who say that Lucario and Mewtwo share one move, that's not true. Their f-smashes are very similar... as are their u-smashes.

If Mewtwo returned and was given a proper moveset I would be over-joyed.

If Mewtwo returned and was given a glide, I would **** my pants with happiness.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
Oh and for the people who say that Lucario and Mewtwo share one move, that's not true. Their f-smashes are very similar... as are their u-smashes.
Though they're similar in appearance, they're completely different in property and uses.
For example.

Lucario's F-smsah doesn't suck nearly as hard as mewtwos.
:3

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I'd rather see the armor as an alt costume for him, assuming more characters get costumes.
The armour served to actually nerf his powers, so it wouldn't make sense for him to wear it.

Also, the armour is too pronounced to simply be a pallette swap. His weight, speed, hit/hurtboxes etc. would all have to change (otherwise it would just look ridiculous) and it'd basically be another character.

D

Deleted member

The armour served to actually nerf his powers, so it wouldn't make sense for him to wear it.

Also, the armour is too pronounced to simply be a pallette swap. His weight, speed, hit/hurtboxes etc. would all have to change (otherwise it would just look ridiculous) and it'd basically be another character.
Cartoon Network Punch Time Explosion XL, while didn't get the gameplay right, got the costumes right. They have situations that work well that appear far WORSE than Mewtwo's armor.
Prime example would be Captain K'neecaps, Captain K'nuckles' costume.
It changes quite a lot of his model, especially one of his arms (makes it much shorter), yet the hitboxes are normal and work fine without looking rediculous.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Oh and for the people who say that Lucario and Mewtwo share one move, that's not true. Their f-smashes are very similar... as are their u-smashes.
Mewtwo and Lucario do not play in similar fashion, and their attacks are not alike. As a result, Mewtwo was never really replaced.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
Mewtwo has more in common with Lucas than Lucario. Lucas inherited a better version of his N air,a better version of his Up smash, and a better version of his down smash. Every time Lucas does these attacks I think about what could have been.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Mewtwo has more in common with Lucas than Lucario. Lucas inherited a better version of his N air,a better version of his Up smash, and a better version of his down smash. Every time Lucas does these attacks I think about what could have been.

Damn it, I KNEW those seemed a bit too familiar. :glare:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

Unfortunately, Lucas isn't very good in Brawl. But I guess Mewtwo would do even better if it ever utilized Lucas's attacks, since its recovery is much more effective.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium

Lucario inherited the better nair imo. It has around the same start up, lingers just as long, and cancels just as quickly. The range of lucarios and fact that its not multihit makes it function much better as a gtfo me move or a combo filler. You have to be nearly inside your opponent for lucas's to hit, and even then its easy to DI out of it.

--------------------------------

I really hope if they put mewtwo in again he'd be decent this time.
He needs alot of work though.

Assuming they don't want to change the looks of his moves, I suggest they.

-Give him a faster run speed
-Beef up the hitbox of his F-smash and d-smash so they feel more like a long lingering explosion.
-Give his u-smash a gravity effect so that it pulls the opponent in. Seriously. That thing was garb. They hardly ever stayed in for the final hit.
-Either replace disable completely, or give it ridiculous range, or make it unblockable. Or hell both.
-Maybe give his side-b the ability to hit from really far away? Make it a smash-b sorta like samus's missle. Tilt side b for mid range hit, smash b for long range? I rather just get rid of the move completely for something better.
-HEAVIER! Either bottom of heavy weights, or top of midweights.
-Make b-air linger longer and have stronger knockback, give f-air slightly longer range, give n-air slightly more disjoint.
-Give him a better finisher on his jab. One thats not completely punishable on hit or as easy to escape. Maybe something that just knocks em back.
-Make f-throw connect properly. Seriously. That moves awesome. I want to use it.

I really rather they just scrap the old mewtwo all together and give him a more stage control style of play. Sorta like how snake controls the stage by setting up bombs everywhere, mewtwo would be able to control alot of the stage on the fly with long ranged telekinetic blast. He wouldn't be able to control as much space as snake could all at once, but he'd be able to do it on the fly. Ya know what I mean?

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I really hope if they put mewtwo in again he'd be decent this time.
He needs alot of work though.

Assuming they don't want to change the looks of his moves, I suggest they.

-Give him a faster run speed
-Beef up the hitbox of his F-smash and d-smash so they feel more like a long lingering explosion.
-Give his u-smash a gravity effect so that it pulls the opponent in. Seriously. That thing was garb. They hardly ever stayed in for the final hit.
-Either replace disable completely, or give it ridiculous range, or make it unblockable. Or hell both.
-Maybe give telekinesis the ability to hit from really far away? Make it a smash-b sorta like samus's missle. Tilt side b for mid range telekinesis, smash b for long range? I rather just get rid of the move completely for something better.
-HEAVIER! Either bottom of heavy weights, or top of midweights.
-Make b-air linger longer and have stronger knockback, give f-air slightly longer range, give n-air slightly more disjoint.
-Give him a better finisher on his jab. One thats not completely punishable on hit or as easy to escape. Maybe something that just knocks em back.
-Make f-throw connect properly. Seriously. That moves awesome. I want to use it.
I can agree with these changes for the most part. Not sure what you mean by telekinesis though.

Your idea for his U-Smash reminds of an idea I had a while back about replacing Disable with Gravity:

Gravity - Only works on the stage. Mewtwo raises his hands up then down, pulling a directly air born opponent back down to the ground similar to the end of Zamus's U-Special. It does put the opponent in a stun state that increases the higher they were in the air. It's range is about 4/5's the size and hitbox of Zamus's U-Special.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Side-B? I think you mean Confusion.

IMO if anything, that move needs to be turned into a proper reflecting move like Mario's Cape (comes out fast, can actually reflect projectiles and cause damage with them). Would also be cool if it tripped close-up opponents (it is called "Confusion" for a reason, just make it punishable with ending lag). lol

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Mewtwo was replaced by Lucario in the sense that they intended both chars for the game, but due to time constraints prioritized Lucario, probably to have some non-gen1 representation.

D

Deleted member

That's not even it.
Lucario was already in the game prior to the time constraints.
Yes, Lucario outprioritised Mewtwo in that sense, but it wasn't a case of "Only can pick one, so go with Lucario and scrap Mewtwo".
In fact, that was more a case of Jigglypuff vs. Mewtwo, as the time constraints happened with characters after Sonic was included, which were Jigglypuff, Toon Link, Wolf, Mewtwo, Roy, and *possibly* Dr. Mario if my evaluation of data is correct.

Steelia

Smash Champion
In fact, that was more a case of Jigglypuff vs. Mewtwo, as the time constraints happened with characters after Sonic was included, which were Jigglypuff, Toon Link, Wolf, Mewtwo, Roy, and *possibly* Dr. Mario if my evaluation of data is correct.
This. Sakurai probably chose Jiggs over Mewtwo because she was the easier Pkmn to make, given how much more complex Mewtwo is with his tail and larger body movements... and for other reasons, I'm sure. female Kirby

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
This. Sakurai probably chose Jiggs over Mewtwo because she was the easier Pkmn to make, given how much more complex Mewtwo is with his tail and larger body movements... and for other reasons, I'm sure. female Kirby
I thought it was cause the N64 smashers just have priority anyway, as in they will be in every game regardless.

D

Deleted member

The main reason I'm sure is because she was in the original Smash, while Mewtwo wasn't.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
He wasn't physically in BW (or Black 2/White 2), but he was distributed as an event semi-recently...
But yeah, Psystrike is his new signature move, and it's beast.

As far as Mewtwo goes, here's a list of various places he's cropped up in since his cut:

~He was the lead legendary Pokemon icon when used in a Pokemon expo some years back.
~Was the lead boss of the WiiWare game "Pokemon Rumble"; even got his own battle tune.
~Became the lead boss of the DS game "Pokemon Ranger: Guardian Signs".
~Was included in the Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal remakes "Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver".
~Got signature move in Pokemon Black/Pokemon White "Psystrike".
~Mewtwo returned as a major boss character in "Pokemon Rumble Blast" for the 3DS.
~Led in a new generation of Pokemon EX cards for the TCG called "Mewtwo-EX Returns"... seen here.
~Was distributed in a special wifi event, knowing special move "Electro Ball", in conjunction with his return to the TCG.
~Is going to be redistributed in the TCG again in a special tin, and new card.

Mewtwo's been anything but silent these last few years. I believe GAME FREAK has been testing Mewtwo's popularity since the backlash of hate they got for removing him, and I think it's safe to say he's still the most wanted cut character to return in the franchise... Him, and probably Roy.
Nice list. I knew some of what he was involved in before like the Black/White event from not too long ago and of course being in HG/SS, but not all that.. With the arguments I've seen some give against Mewtwo on a couple different sites on how he's just another 1st gen relic whose no longer relevant, that sure tells me otherwise. Can't quite say the same for Roy though, not that I really care for him anyway.

On the moveset topic, as crafty as the spoon has been shown to be in the manga, I would still rather him have a psionic blade of some kind in the form of Psycho Cut, whether it's a special move or a strong physical attack. Mainly just a design preference on my part, but I think that would make it seem more like himself, whereas having a spoon just makes him look more like a legendary/uber version of Kadabra or Alakazam, even though that's kind of what he is in a sense.

As much as I loved the Shadow Ball in Melee, its range kinda seemed ridiculously limited compared to Samus's Charge Beam and the like (even when fully charged). Not sure being able to shock nearby enemies when charging justifies the move having range that short. Otherwise, it was a solid and most befitting special.

And yeah, Psystrike's a given, whether it's a special move or a final smash. Now you don't suppose there's an Up+B move with somewhere as much recovery as Teleport (or a little less) Mewtwo can have that actually does some damage as an attack, do you?

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Goldenyuitusin- Yeah that is what I meant, I was implying the replacement wasn't as direct as most people think. Had they not made Lucario Mewtwo would have got in seeing as his beta is in the game's data, so he was probably the next char they would have implemented if they had more time.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
No argument there on his regular grab move. Pretty much all his grabs were some of the coolest in the game actually IMO.

As for his blue barrier, that could replace Teleport as his Up+B recovery move now that I think about it, because when he shot a Shadow Ball at Mew in the first movie and it got fired back at him, he got back up with that blue barrier around him. Don't forget that flying "barrier battle" he and Mew had too when they were constantly bouncing against each other or whatever. With that as his recovery move he would float/fly upwards to a certain degree, damaging anyone who comes in contact with the blue ball surrounding him, and it should have somewhere the same amount of recovery as Teleport.

I dunno, just a thought. And how about the move he and Mew used that turned Ash to stone as his final smash?

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
No argument there on his regular grab move. Pretty much all his grabs were some of the coolest in the game actually IMO.

As for his blue barrier, that could replace Teleport as his Up+B recovery move now that I think about it, because when he shot a Shadow Ball at Mew in the first movie and it got fired back at him, he got back up with that blue barrier around him. Don't forget that flying "barrier battle" he and Mew had too when they were constantly bouncing against each other or whatever. With that as his recovery move he would float/fly upwards to a certain degree, damaging anyone who comes in contact with the blue ball surrounding him, and it should have somewhere the same amount of recovery as Teleport.

I dunno, just a thought. And how about the move he and Mew used that turned Ash to stone as his final smash?
Just re saw his up grap and that was pretty epic too. I don't think the move that turned Ash to stone would really work because it would also require mew for that since it was the result of their clash. Also about using the barrier as an up special I found this hacked match online. 2:37-2:44 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5S2o4b5TeFI A nerfed version of this maybe. We shall restore Mewtwo to his glory days:glare:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Nice, I like how they have the barrier around him even before spawning.

I thought the result would be the same if even just one of them used the move that turned Ash to stone and not both, but I guess you could be right. Still, would be cool in theory if he had that as a final smash, then either shatters the stone victim(s) or knocks them off the stage with his telekinesis or something.

Another final smash though could be where he uses his TK as a destructive force and on a much wider scale like he did against Giovanni and his entire fleet in his 2nd movie after he became rejuvenated by the healing properties of the spring water. Would of course affect all opponents within range.

Hell, they could just have him go in berserk mode as a final smash like he did against his creators before he learned how to control his powers with that armor.

Enlong

Smash Journeyman
I would like it if they made Confusion stronger and renamed it Psychic or Telekinesis.

As for Disable, I would replace it with Hypnosis. Similar animations, except it's a cone of psychic waves instead of a flash of light, and it puts the enemy into a Sleep state instead of Shield Break. Give it a bit of a longer range, and we're golden.

Meanwhile, Psystrike would be his final smash. Honestly, I think Psystrike is the only reasonable Final Smash for him, because it is his new signature move. It would be a hit-confirm Final Smash, like Arrow of Light, Triforce Slash, and Critical. Mewtwo puts out a psychic ripple in a horizontal plane around him for a few meters. Anyone caught in his range is surrounded with black psychic projectiles that converge on them for massive damage.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Since the move Psychic is like the most common technique associated with him in the Pokemon metagame (I'd consider it his first signature move there like Shadow Ball was in Melee and the anime), I'd probably like a Confusion replacement to be called that more than anything.

Hypnosis like that would be genius even though Mewtwo can't learn it in the Pokemon games, but it shouldn't matter much since it's still a psychic type move.

I guess Psystrike would be the most original final smash for him despite how many other options he seemingly has for one.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
My Mewtwo special moves list:

(B) Shadow Ball:
...same as before.

(B)> Psycho Cut:
Mewtwo swings his arm diagonally across his shoulder with a blue crescent blade. The attack is similar to Ike's quick draw but has a set distance and will a stronge vertical knockback instead.
14%

(B)^ Barrier:
Mewtwo puts a barrier of psychic energy around himself and flies headfirst in the direction of the analog stick(default straight up) damaging and pushing those who come in contact with the barrier. Range of the attack is equal to that of fox but has no charge up. As a result though it can't do as much damage. It also won't have much KO potential. 12% full hit

(B)v Shock Wave:
Mewtwo creates a wave of electricity along the ground. This attack is a continuous jolt that pushes and hits. It can hit 3 times and go up to 3 character lengths away. During the duration of the attack Mewtwo will also be electrified (like during his nuetral air) but unable to move. You control how many times it hits by how many times you tap the b button so you can cancel at 1 or 2 hits.
1st hit - 5%
2nd hit - 5%
3rd hit - 7% and a slight knockback
(Think of a contiuous thunderjolt)

Enlong

Smash Journeyman
Since the move Psychic is like the most common technique associated with him in the Pokemon metagame (I'd consider it his first signature move there like Shadow Ball was in Melee and the anime), I'd probably like a Confusion replacement to be called that more than anything.

Hypnosis like that would be genius even though Mewtwo can't learn it in the Pokemon games, but it shouldn't matter much since it's still a psychic type move.

I guess Psystrike would be the most original final smash for him despite how many other options he seemingly has for one.
Hold up, he doesn't get Hypnosis? Dang. Well, we could just power up Disable's range and duration, or change it to a move that floats the enemy helplessly instead of a sleep state or Shield Break: Call it Telekinesis.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Barrier's usage seems interesting, especially since you'd never actually think of that move as an offensive attack.

Enlong

Smash Journeyman
Oh, what if we changed his Side B to Electro Ball? He could surround himeslf with it and charge to one side. Meanwhile, Down B would merge Disable and Confusion into Telekinesis: which sends the eopoonent into a hovering Panic Fall for a short while, long enough for Mewtwo to grab them or do an uncharged Smash attack.

Should he keep Teleport? He actually isn't capable of learning it in his own games, but it's too badass of a move to just chuck, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom