• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fact 54 - Mewtwo Is On The Way [Social/General Discussion]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
I wonder if Mewtwo will have a female voice like in the anime...
with the Wii Fit Trainer & Robin gender treatment let's pretend that Mantwo / Femtwo will toggle separate VA's or different looks to portray the manly features & womanly features. This combined with possible Mega Evolution rep of separating the Gender'd Mewtwo's could rep X = Male & Y = Female. But I doubt that, it's a dream I can live with not becoming reality.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
His Melee move-set isn't bad on paper, but competitively to add to his floatyness, his fall speed, his weight, & his overall game-play he was. . .not viable.

I was fine with his Specials honestly, kind of want that push-back feature of shooting the FCSB (Fully Charged Shadow Ball) to be removed. That was kind of silly, especially when used airborne.

Only special I see that may want a overhaul is his Disable :GCD::GCB:, but his Project M Disable was buffed.

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
I liked the FCSB pushback I recovered sometimes and I can use it to fly away from opponents and spam small ones.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
I liked the FCSB pushback I recovered sometimes and I can use it to fly away from opponents and spam small ones.
I like when moves have utility to them don't get me wrong & extra utility helps, I love Lucario's Reversed Double Team airborne in Brawl. But shooting a FCSB away to get that slight push-back to recover? You got an amazing second jump & Teleport, who needs that push-back other than describing the raw power of shooting the FCSB?

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
Hmm I thought it was a huge pushback maybe im wrong and over remembering its utility.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Hmm I thought it was a huge pushback maybe im wrong and over remembering its utility.
It's definitely some distance, but not impressive distance to say it's viable used to recover with. It describes how powerful the move is when it pushes you backward, but the push is a bit unecessary, Lucario's AuraBoost% being at maximum is twice the size Mewtwo's FCSB will ever be, & Lucario barely gets pushed back by the power he shoots. This is the one thing they both share & Lucario improved the Idea of FC Balls being shot, barely having a push back worthy of gimping yourself.

Edit: This is one solid reason Mewtwo can return with tweaks. Lucario improved the idea, Mewtwo can come back & have the same aspect & maybe better.

Last edited:

SaucyDancer

Smash Ace
NNID
SaucyDancer
3DS FC
0576-4794-0041
One thing I have just noticed is that people really like to deny the evidence when it comes to Mewtwo especially the "We are thinking about it" comment from Sakurai. If he said that about Ridley people would be claiming Ridley confirmed every where but because it's Mewtwo is apparently doesn't mean anything.

The last day on Reddit has been people bringing up all the worst arguments on why Mewtwo can't make it into the game. It's sad how misinformed they are.

simpleglitch

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1907-8424-2856
One thing I have just noticed is that people really like to deny the evidence when it comes to Mewtwo especially the "We are thinking about it" comment from Sakurai. If he said that about Ridley people would be claiming Ridley confirmed every where but because it's Mewtwo is apparently doesn't mean anything.

The last day on Reddit has been people bringing up all the worst arguments on why Mewtwo can't make it into the game. It's sad how misinformed they are.

I think a lot of this comes from people feeling like 6 is too many for a franchise, in addition to remembering how Melee Mewtwo played. So while I disagree with them, I see where they're coming from.

I would also say that "We are thinking about it" does not confirm mewtwo (though it does make him sound likely). I also don't think it is true that the Ridely thread would take similar evidence as a confirmation. They are waiting as much for Sakurai's official word on their character as we are.

His Melee move-set isn't bad on paper, but competitively to add to his floatyness, his fall speed, his weight, & his overall game-play he was. . .not viable.

I was fine with his Specials honestly, kind of want that push-back feature of shooting the FCSB (Fully Charged Shadow Ball) to be removed. That was kind of silly, especially when used airborne.

Only special I see that may want a overhaul is his Disable :GCD::GCB:, but his Project M Disable was buffed.
This^
Even if we just get his character stats changed/buffed, mewtwo will be better off than he was in melee.
Plus, even if we get the same moveset as melee we will still have 2 other moves for each slot to chose from, so having disable come back isn't the worse thing in the world.

Last edited:

SmashBroski

Smash Ace
NNID
BookerDewott
3DS FC
1907-9072-8026

It's a shame really, people are so close-minded that they won't give you the time to present your argument if you're a Mewtwo supporter.

The only arguments against Mewtwo that I can think of are:

1. Bad in Melee

Easily debunked, there are characters that are worse than Mewtwo - if you look at it from a tier list perspective - such as Bowser and Ness. Thank you Taj.

2. Cut in Brawl

We've gone over this a lot in this thread, it was cut due to programming issues and priority to work on the SSE instead of fighters; in fact, the development team actually WANTED to remake Mewtwo (unlike Roy, who was described as "BORING"). Lucario has nothing to do with Mewtwo's cut and the two were planned to star together in the game at some point in development.

3. Too many Pokemon reps. / Mario must have the most reps.

So? The Chrom interview - IIRC - pretty much stated that Sakurai doesn't care about the number of characters a franchise has, especially with Lucina's inclusion; if he can envision a fighter and make a moveset for them, they're in. Plus, assuming Ganondorf returns and the trophy theory gives us a newcomer from the Smash Direct Trophy Quiz franchises, we may get a Zelda newcomer for a total of SIX character reps. for Zelda.

Add Mewtwo and Jigglypuff and what do we have: SIX.

Plus if you look at it from a certain point of view, Mario has nine reps. if you count DK, Yoshi, and Wario as parts of the Mario franchise since it's so big that it spawned their sub-franchises.

That's why I stopped going on sites like Reddit and /v/ to talk about Smash and come here instead.

simpleglitch

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1907-8424-2856
The Ridley thread on here can be somewhat civilised. I was referring to the Ridley supporters on Reddit. Some of them really go overboard.
Well, overboard is sort of the status quo for (most of) Reddit... ;)

On another note, for some reason I'm losing a little faith that we will see mewtwo in an August Direct only due to the large number of unconfirmed vets and possible newcomers left. That is unless Nintendo starts going crazy with character reveals, but it doesn't look like they picked up speed yet. We might not be seeing mewtwo until a September trailer (if there is one) or until launch.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
It's a shame really, people are so close-minded that they won't give you the time to present your argument if you're a Mewtwo supporter.

The only arguments against Mewtwo that I can think of are:

1. Bad in Melee

Easily debunked, there are characters that are worse than Mewtwo - if you look at it from a tier list perspective - such as Bowser and Ness. Thank you Taj.

2. Cut in Brawl

We've gone over this a lot in this thread, it was cut due to programming issues and priority to work on the SSE instead of fighters; in fact, the development team actually WANTED to remake Mewtwo (unlike Roy, who was described as "BORING"). Lucario has nothing to do with Mewtwo's cut and the two were planned to star together in the game at some point in development.

3. Too many Pokemon reps. / Mario must have the most reps.

So? The Chrom interview - IIRC - pretty much stated that Sakurai doesn't care about the number of characters a franchise has, especially with Lucina's inclusion; if he can envision a fighter and make a moveset for them, they're in. Plus, assuming Ganondorf returns and the trophy theory gives us a newcomer from the Smash Direct Trophy Quiz franchises, we may get a Zelda newcomer for a total of SIX character reps. for Zelda.

Add Mewtwo and Jigglypuff and what do we have: SIX.

Plus if you look at it from a certain point of view, Mario has nine reps. if you count DK, Yoshi, and Wario as parts of the Mario franchise since it's so big that it spawned their sub-franchises.

That's why I stopped going on sites like Reddit and /v/ to talk about Smash and come here instead.
@ Wise Multishine Wise Multishine Information for your expansive post.

I firmly believe there are worse fighting game communities but Smash takes the prize for most divisive and broken FGC.

Last edited:

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
Well, overboard is sort of the status quo for (most of) Reddit... ;)

On another note, for some reason I'm losing a little faith that we will see mewtwo in an August Direct only due to the large number of unconfirmed vets and possible newcomers left. That is unless Nintendo starts going crazy with character reveals, but it doesn't look like they picked up speed yet. We might not be seeing mewtwo until a September trailer (if there is one) or until launch.
The next few weeks will be pretty amazing, I'm sure. If Mewtwo is in, we'll see him towards the end of August. I'm pretty sure most things will be spoiled by then (as in stages and characters.)

Wise Multishine

Luminary
NNID
Omnireader
The next few weeks will be pretty amazing, I'm sure. If Mewtwo is in, we'll see him towards the end of August. I'm pretty sure most things will be spoiled by then (as in stages and characters.)
I heard that Corocoro is going to have a lot to say. Probably nothing about new characters though. Although we SHOULD be even more pumped for Gamescom.

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
To be honest I'm not all too familiar with Gamescom haha. I'm gonna look it up. I wouldn't get my hopes up though (sorry!) because not even SDCC got any reveals. I'm mostly betting on people getting their hands on the game way earlier than usual, as well as Sakurai knowing that and spoiling everything before September. There's also the "save the best for last" idea that I'm sure Sakurai is gonna use.

Last edited:

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
Well we do technically have at least a couple of newcomer reveal videos coming. If it is that big, why not there right? Either way, it only makes sense that there will be more than one newcomer/veteran video reveal this month, and I'd probably include the first week of September in that month. So yeah, we're getting closer guys! We're gonna find out once and for all soon..

I'm thinking though, would Sakurai actually keep certain characters secret? I still don't like the idea of JP players finding out about them before other countries. I mean I guess they can put up reveal trailers the same day but.. still..

Last edited:

Steelia

Smash Champion
Hey, hey. Gamescom is BIG. Don't doubt it.
I dunno, SDCC was huge, EVO was huge... and nothin. Compared to those two, never heard of Gamescom... Unless Sakurai makes a big deal out of it, probably not going to get worked up for any reveals there.

Staarih

Smash Master
I'm not very familiar with Gamescom either, but it looks like E3 was the big thing in the US announcement-wise, thus they skipped the other events. But with Gamescom, we're in Europe, a different continent which hasn't really experienced any Smash-related stuff yet. It's a huge event and I wouldn't count out new reveals happening. I'm really hoping at least haha! At least it looks like we're getting OR/AS news there as Shigeki Morimoto is attending and there's supposedly a video message from Junichi Masuda happening as well. Might be repeat of CoroCoro stuff though.

I_hate_usernames

Smash Ace
Gamescom definitely isn't as big as it's American counterparts, but is still one of larger Games cons on Europe, they do get their fair share of hype packages though, although it's mostly indie stuff. It wouldn't be too out of place if Nintendo were to reveal something big there. So it's a definite "Maybe"

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
So Xernas and Victini innuendo mon appeared in today's POTD.

Foreshadowing?

I heard that Corocoro is going to have a lot to say. Probably nothing about new characters though. Although we SHOULD be even more pumped for Gamescom.
CoroCoro was only going to talk about those already in.

I dunno, SDCC was huge, EVO was huge... and nothin. Compared to those two, never heard of Gamescom... Unless Sakurai makes a big deal out of it, probably not going to get worked up for any reveals there.
This. I don't expect any "special surprises" this time around. Nintendo set us up and we were all pointing fingers and shouting "YOU LIE" like Mr Freeze.

To be honest I'm not all too familiar with Gamescom haha. I'm gonna look it up. I wouldn't get my hopes up though (sorry!) because not even SDCC got any reveals. I'm mostly betting on people getting their hands on the game way earlier than usual, as well as Sakurai knowing that and spoiling everything before September. There's also the "save the best for last" idea that I'm sure Sakurai is gonna use.
Inb4 biased Sakurai only reveals in Europe :troll:

Last edited:

thebadlamp

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thebadlamp2
3DS FC
0963-0296-0917
When do you guys think the next newcomer trailer will be/how many there will be?
I'm going to say we have 2-3 trailers left. We would get one at this months Nintendo direct and possibly 2 during the smash direct, speaking of which Im going to say its going to be on the 12th of september so it can build as much hype as it can in the last moment. I'm thinking Mewtwo's trailer will be at the end of the smash direct along with another character.

VIDEO UPDATE THING!
For those who don't know i'm making a video regarding Mewtwo in Smash. I have been busy recently, however I have now re-unlocked Mewtwo and the script is half done so i'm not sure when it will be up exactly, but probably before the end of august unfotunatly if Mewtwo gets revealed before the video comes out i'll scrap it.

SmashBroski

Smash Ace
NNID
BookerDewott
3DS FC
1907-9072-8026
If worse comes to worse - aside from not making it into the game - Mewtwo will be revealed after Smash 4's release date on the 3DS in Japan and categorized as a secret fighter like Jiggs, TL, and Wolf in Brawl.

That or DLC, which I don't know is confirmed given Gematsu lost its credibility.

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
When do you guys think the next newcomer trailer will be/how many there will be?
I'm going to say we have 2-3 trailers left. We would get one at this months Nintendo direct and possibly 2 during the smash direct, speaking of which Im going to say its going to be on the 12th of september so it can build as much hype as it can in the last moment. I'm thinking Mewtwo's trailer will be at the end of the smash direct along with another character.

VIDEO UPDATE THING!
For those who don't know i'm making a video regarding Mewtwo in Smash. I have been busy recently, however I have now re-unlocked Mewtwo and the script is half done so i'm not sure when it will be up exactly, but probably before the end of august unfotunatly if Mewtwo gets revealed before the video comes out i'll scrap it.
I would like to think we'd get one soon, either by early next week or the week after that. Then another towards the end of the month. And another just before the release. I really can't wait to see what Sakurai has lined up. And good luck on the video!
If worse comes to worse - aside from not making it into the game - Mewtwo will be revealed after Smash 4's release date on the 3DS in Japan and categorized as a secret fighter like Jiggs, TL, and Wolf in Brawl.

That or DLC, which I don't know is confirmed given Gematsu lost its credibility.
Last I remember, Sakurai did say he's not ruling it out. So who knows. Maybe he already considered it and just lying to the public or he actually never had time to consider it. And yeah, if Mewtwo is a secret fighter, he won't get an update until after the game's release. Which I hope isn't the case, because I really would love to see him in a trailer :)

SaucyDancer

Smash Ace
NNID
SaucyDancer
3DS FC
0576-4794-0041
Most of the stuff in the Pokemon Center seems actually pretty good
now if only people in Europe would stop getting ignored I could maybe do something with that knowledge
You should try living in Australia when it comes to this stuff. We usually get it months later if at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom