• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fact 54 - Mewtwo Is On The Way [Social/General Discussion]

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGoldMan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheGoldMan
3DS FC
1950-8066-7015
Here's a theory I have: Sakurai said the roster was finished before the game was revealed, and he said he was thinking of adding Mewtwo when a fan asked an X/Y developer if they would like to see Mewtwo in SSB4. If he was thinking about it, that means that he would either add him or cut him, because the roster was finalized along time ago. I doubt he would cut him twice, and he is a unique character and he isn't a clone of anyone. So yeah, that's my theory

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
You can look up the partial transcript online. It wasn't properly documented because it was a Smash question during an XY roundtable but you can pretty much get the gist from the articles.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Remember way back when SSB4 was announced, but had no trailer yet?
Some Interviewer Guy said:
Mr. Sakurai, do you have any thought of Mewtwo being in Smash 4?
Sakurai said:
I have no idea what you're talking about. *laughs*
Good times, Goooood times.

Thereallucario

Smash Journeyman
I'm going against myself here when I say that I finally had a Mewtwo related dream. And it was awesome.

I remember going to the Smash site and seeing a brand new video titled "Character Reveal". And it played out awesomely in a scenario that is extremely unlikely, rendered like the Mega Man and Greninja trailers.

Spoilered for your convenience.

-Smash Cut intro

Cut to a dimly lit building.

(We see a shadow moving slowly across a hallway in some sort of facility without showing his face.)

Intruder: This is Snake. I've located the superweapon.

*Poses in battle stance with SOCOM*

SNAKE INFILTRATES THE BATTLE

Cut back to Snake, now fully revealed, peeking around a corner. He sneaks a little bit more to reach a flight of stairs.
Snake is then contacted by someone from his support team(when I heard it, it was Roy Campbell, but I'll leave it up to you):

Support member: Careful, Snake. That superweapon is one of the most dangerous things mankind has created. It's powerful abilities will overwhelm you if you're not careful.
Snake: Got it. What kind of abilities are we talking about?
Support member: We honestly don't know, Snake. But it was created genetically to be the strongest of it's kind. You know how this goes.
Snake: Understood.

(An explosion is heard on the top floor. Snake rushes up the stairs)

Snake crouches, weapons ready, to the entrance of the room with the superweapon.

Snake stands up and aims his weapon. Cut to broken glass and liquid on the floor, and Snake's surprised expression.

(The room, following the explosion, only has 1 light that wasn't broken)

Camera cuts in front of Snake as a hovering noise is heard. Snake becomes surprised as the weapon reveals itself in an over the shoulde shot.

Snake: What is that?

Camera pans 360 to the superweapon, revealed to be Mewtwo. When the camera is focused, Mewtwo poses for battle.

MEWTWO STRIKES BACK

Cut to Mewtwo's gameplay.

Mewtwo shows off. Snake and Otacon begin talking.

Snake: Otacon, what is this thing?

Otacon: That's Mewtwo. It was cloned from Mew to be the most powerful Pokemon ever. It's got many psychic abilities which it uses for combat.

Snake: Do I even have a chance against it?

Otacon: You can do this, Snake! You've taken on worse!

Cut to Snake's gameplay.

End logo.
Good idea. The only thing that would make this trailer better is another hype train character such as Ridley or Isaac.

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
iirc, e3 2013 back when fairies were announced
2013...The roster was finalized in 2012 or at least early 2013 so...at least a couple months before E3."Were thinking about it means

1.Mewtwo is confirmed and they didn't want to outright say it.
2.They were still deciding Final smash for Mewtwo and he's confirmed then.
3.He's cut and they didn't want to outright say it.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
2013...The roster was finalized in 2012 or at least early 2013 so...at least a couple months before E3."Were thinking about it means

1.Mewtwo is confirmed and they didn't want to outright say it.
2.They were still deciding Final smash for Mewtwo and he's confirmed then.
3.He's cut and they didn't want to outright say it.
If it's number three, why draw attention to it?

thebadlamp

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thebadlamp2
3DS FC
0963-0296-0917
I think i'm going to make a video discussing Mewtwo's chances, the theory's such as "POKEMON CAN ONLY HAVE 5 REPS!"
I'm also bring up points such as in the Greninja trailer how he didn't have his back spike.
I will post it here whens its done.

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
Also had a dream about a trailer last night, and even though it wasn'T primarily about Mewtwo, he was in it. Cannot seem to recall it as vividly though, and it was os far of of reality that its not even funny X)

Spoilered:

Basically what i dreamt was a big flying creature battling it out with Bayonetta (first newcomer). Then liught fell onto the creature and it was Ridley, but incredibly huge so i thought, damn, he is a boss... too bad for his supporters. But than Mewtwo appeared and shrank Ridley to the size of Bowser, it looked hilarious X) And it was all like Ridley and Mewtwo confirmed. Argh, Sakurai PLIS do this X)

Thereallucario

Smash Journeyman

SaucyDancer

Smash Ace
NNID
SaucyDancer
3DS FC
0576-4794-0041
Every day that goes by I get a little less optimistic. Im most likely starting to doubt him so I dont end up getting as disappointed as I was when Brawl came out. While there is no good reason to leave Mewtwo out of this game I can't shake this feeling Sakurai will be an idiot and ignore the majority of fans and leave him cut. In my opinion Mewtwo will a secret character and he wont get an announcement if he is the game at all.

I really hope that if Mewtwo is left out, someone asks Sakurai why this was.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Every day that goes by I get a little less optimistic. Im most likely starting to doubt him so I dont end up getting as disappointed as I was when Brawl came out. While there is no good reason to leave Mewtwo out of this game I can't shake this feeling Sakurai will be an idiot and ignore the majority of fans and leave him cut. In my opinion Mewtwo will a secret character and he wont get an announcement if he is the game at all.

I really hope that if Mewtwo is left out, someone asks Sakurai why this was.
Well, one thing that's worth keeping in mind is that Sakurai is well aware of what the fans want. And more importantly, he's demonstrated that he's willing to go to great lengths to give the fans what they want. The inclusion of extremely popular Third Party characters like Sonic and Mega Man prove this, I think. If he's willing to go out of his way to include Third Party characters to please fans, I doubt a certain Pokemon character would be too much to ask.

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
http://smashboards.com/threads/leak.360830/

Judge the credibility of this leak which claims Mewtwo and a few others are in.
EXTREMELY unlikely, the fact alone that you would be able to enable/disable L-Cancelling and Wavedashing is a bad joke. 1) It would make no sense as casuals don't care for it and will most likely NEVER use it anyways so they won't even notice it being in and 2) disabling/enabling such gamechanging mechanics can lead to a lot of bugs, glitches, unintentional techs and so on and so forth, it just makes everything as stable as a tower of jenga in the final phases of the game.

Next, we already know Lucina is her own character, no reason to still add Lucina-alts to Marth it would make readability in online-mode a joke. And alt-specials were disabled in online-play for this exact reason.

Oh, and the Hoenn-Region Pokemon is extremely unlikely as the roster had been finished before even X and Y were out.

Creditability judged at like 1%.

Last edited:

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
Isn't that the one which claimed Bandana Dee would be revealed at Comic Con
Look how that turned out
(Plus it was stupid to begin with)
It's not like today is over already, but as stated above his second "leak" is even more ridiculous.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Thought so.

I personally lost all credibility for leaks after Gematsu.

Well, leaks without reliable evidence anyway. Leaks like the Wario eShop leak are very credible.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
...My sister took my Wii, so I CAN'T FREAKING PLAY BRAWL WITHOUT USING MY UN-RESPONSIVE WIIMOTE AND BROKEN NUNCHUCK ON THE WII U. >:C
In other news, that leak be most likely fake.

Steelia

Smash Champion
Fake. Even if Lucina was planned as a Marth skin, she was never planed to have skins with(out) her mask. In fact she pulls it on with a taunt.

BTW, you would buy Mewtwo's Amiibo?
I'd buy that thing in a heartbeat, even without a Wii U (same thing for a select few other chars when they have theirs released). Cool little things.

Also, this just struck me earlier, in regards to that news of Mewtwo being developed but cut due to glitchiness: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=122504575&postcount=428

This pretty much confirms there were going to be 5 slots on the roster reserved for Pokemon. Had Mewtwo not been cut due to bugs, Pokemon would've had the most rep icons on the roster, one ahead of Mario. Very satisfying to hear Mewtwo/others weren't axed so not to pass up that fan theory of Mario retaining the most roster icons.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
This pretty much confirms there were going to be 5 slots on the roster reserved for Pokemon. Had Mewtwo not been cut due to bugs, Pokemon would've had the most rep icons on the roster, one ahead of Mario. Very satisfying to hear Mewtwo/others weren't axed so not to pass up that fan theory of Mario retaining the most roster icons.
What a magical turn of events.

TheGoldMan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheGoldMan
3DS FC
1950-8066-7015
Lets hope if Mewtwo gets in that he atleast gets his armor as an alt costume.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
I honestly think Mewtwo is in the safe zone. The only reason why Mewtwo (and Roy) were cut from Brawl was to make room for Sonic, Sonic had a rushed moveset I guess Sakurai thought no one would miss Mewtwo with Lucario here but they did. I doubt Mewtwo would be reveled in an August Direct and just be a Secret Character like in Melee. When was Greninja decided on 2012 or 2013?

Thereallucario

Smash Journeyman
I honestly think Mewtwo is in the safe zone. The only reason why Mewtwo (and Roy) were cut from Brawl was to make room for Sonic, Sonic had a rushed moveset I guess Sakurai thought no one would miss Mewtwo with Lucario here but they did. I doubt Mewtwo would be reveled in an August Direct and just be a Secret Character like in Melee. When was Greninja decided on 2012 or 2013?
Its never quite said when. they just said "a while back" which most people take about two years.

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
I feel like Fire Emblem and Pokemon should and can have as many reps as necessary to properly represent their respective franchises. They are both huge series with a vast amount of characters. Fire Emblem seems to have gotten a huge boost in representation (from two to four reps), so I feel like Pokemon having six is very reasonable. Jiggilypuff is coming back, so for the sixth pokemon, Mewtwo makes too much sense.

Steelia

Smash Champion
Just realized... goodness, since when did this topic get to 146 pages! :surprised:

Stealing from another post, the Miiverse veteran most-wanted:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Just realized... goodness, since when did this topic get to 146 pages! :surprised:

Put G&W in 1st and ditch Snake and I'll be fine.

SmashBroski

Smash Ace
NNID
BookerDewott
3DS FC
1907-9072-8026

Wow, when was this chart released? How many Miiverse posts were used to make this?

Back to the E3 2013 X&Y Roundtable comment, was Mega Mewtwo X already revealed before or did we only know about Mega Mewtwo Y?

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
Hmm... Something doesn't add up suddenly.
I almost don't think it was actually at e3, at least if it was the wording would've been different. After all, Mega Evolutions as a whole weren't announced yet! I mean, I might be wrong, it's just MMY was all we knew. From my memory Mega Mawile came with the reveal that Mawile would be retyped to fairy, and the fairy type was revealed before that at e3 2013. So uh, hmm.
Hmmmmmmmm.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Hmm... Something doesn't add up suddenly.
I almost don't think it was actually at e3, at least if it was the wording would've been different. After all, Mega Evolutions as a whole weren't announced yet! I mean, I might be wrong, it's just MMY was all we knew. From my memory Mega Mawile came with the reveal that Mawile would be retyped to fairy, and the fairy type was revealed before that at e3 2013. So uh, hmm.
Hmmmmmmmm.
I can't exactly "compute" this. Please simplify.

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
I can't exactly "compute" this. Please simplify.
As in, while Mega Mewtwo Y was revealed without a name or a purpose before e3, we didn't know what it was or what it did.
The thing is, Mega Mawile was announced as part of the first 6 revealed. Mawile being retyped to fairy was a part of the mega evolution reveal, not a part of the fairy reveal.
So basically, I'm confused: If somebody asked that question at that e3, what exactly was the wording they used?
Of course I could just be being stupid and missing something which is very likely

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
So basically, I'm confused: If somebody asked that question at that e3, what exactly was the wording they used?
Of course I could just be being stupid and missing something which is very likely
"What is this new form of Mewtwo, and will it appear in Super Smash Bros?"

Something along those lines, I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom