• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fact 54 - Mewtwo Is On The Way [Social/General Discussion]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
...So... this's something I've never seen before.

Way back during the making of the First Movie, Toshihiro Ono (creator of The Electric Tale of Pikachu manga) was asked to make the origin of Mewtwo to coincide with the release of the movie. However, as time went on, Ono's manga was replaced midway by the short movie "The Birth of Mewtwo" instead. Ono's interpretation of Mewtwo's creation was released in an issue of CoroCoro Comic, and has been floating around in obscurity since.

Here's the manga, and here's a synopsis - just to remember why Mewtwo's so awesome.

Thanks, that was a great read! Definitely some of Onno's best work. Everything was pretty much on-model (he exaggerated and ad-libbed quite a bit in Electric Tale of Pikachu), the artwork is beautiful, and the characters are very, very expressive... Much moreso than he usually does. He obviously put a lot of TLC into that manga. Thanks for sharing this! I never knew this existed :)

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
Well its either 3 scenarios

1 male voice (most likely due to pac-man aka sakurai picking the voice the fans prefer.)

2 female voice due to the movie

3 50/50 you can choice the voice (a weird way of saying alternate costume.)
Or we could, you know, get a mostly silent Mewtwo so nobody gets what they want, but everybody doesn't get what they don't want.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
I would LOVE for Mewtwo to return in SSB4, but I don't think he's going to be revealed in the Monday reveal as it says 'New Fighter' which I don't think Mewtwo is. Unless he's counted as one since he wasent in Brawl. I don't know. I just don't think tomorrow is Mewtwos day... :(
Mewtwo is a veteran so he isn't 'new' but yeah it could be ya never know. Also welcome to SmashBoards @ Rythmic Rythmic :shades:

Rythmic

Smash Cadet
NNID
Zadester
Unless they do a Newcomer/Veteran style trailer. if So fingers crossed for Shulk and Mewtwo/Solid Snake. btw Welcome to Smashboards.
:ness:
Mewtwo is a veteran so he isn't 'new' but yeah it could be ya never know. Also welcome to SmashBoards @ Rythmic Rythmic :shades:
Thanks guys! :D

Mewtwo, if they do it right, could be counted as a new fighter if they completely re vamp him. He could play completely differently to Melee so he may, in that way, be counted as a new character.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
...So... this's something I've never seen before.

Way back during the making of the First Movie, Toshihiro Ono (creator of The Electric Tale of Pikachu manga) was asked to make the origin of Mewtwo to coincide with the release of the movie. However, as time went on, Ono's manga was replaced midway by the short movie "The Birth of Mewtwo" instead. Ono's interpretation of Mewtwo's creation was released in an issue of CoroCoro Comic, and has been floating around in obscurity since.

Here's the manga, and here's a synopsis - just to remember why Mewtwo's so awesome.

Damn, I feel like I was just timetraveled back 15 years upon being shown this ****. Good find.

And yeah, I did kinda read more emotion from Mewtwo there than in the movie, despite not understanding what was being said.

Destinylegend

Smash Cadet
NNID
Destinylegend
3DS FC
2122-6400-3417
Thanks guys! :D

Mewtwo, if they do it right, could be counted as a new fighter if they completely re vamp him. He could play completely differently to Melee so he may, in that way, be counted as a new character.
Let me also add, welcome to the smashboards! hope to hear more from you. And I would like a new revamp moveset for Mewtwo, but I still like his Shadow Ball, the only thing I probably wouldn't change because I liked how it worked in Melee.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I would LOVE for Mewtwo to return in SSB4, but I don't think he's going to be revealed in the Monday reveal as it says 'New Fighter' which I don't think Mewtwo is. Unless he's counted as one since he wasent in Brawl. I don't know. I just don't think tomorrow is Mewtwos day... :(

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
Yeah, Mewtwo's got the potential for a much better and revamped moveset. I have a feeling he isn't showing his full power in Smash yet.

Believe in the clone that is not a clone.

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
Yeah, Mewtwo's got the potential for a much better and revamped moveset. I have a feeling he isn't showing his full power in Smash yet.

Shulk would end up like those Pokeballs if Mewtwo was in his trailer.

Believe in the clone that is not a clone.

Sorry for screwing that up but my thoughts are inside the quote.

Last edited:

itsaxelol

Smash Ace
Uh. . .to the comments of rather having a crappy Mewtwo > no Mewtwo at all, is understandable but we shouldn't have to say we want that, shoutouts to TAJ & other said Melee Mewtwo mains but in the end Mewtwo's below decent leveled aka bad.

Pretty much that, why have so much love & belief that your favorite character returns & then say you'd be fine without any changes or improvements to the character? That happening is pretty much saying you guys don't care for his meta.:ohwell: If it was literally Melee Mewtwo dumped into Sm4sh then no thanks. I've played & enjoyed re-vamped Mewtwo from Project M too much to want boring Melee Mewtwo in SSB4.

But in all seriousness I get it. We want Mewtwo in no matter what happens regardless of good/bad stats. I just feel betrayed from the thought of no changes or adjustments to Mewtwo at all.
thank you. i havent been able to get a single person to agree with me in this thread lol. everyone here is so... so optimistic with hype and hope i feel theyre almost blinded as to the reality of the situation. i want him to be in the game, but he has so much work ahead of him to be a good character that its terrifying. i learned from brawl to curb your enthusiam, these leaks are real no matter how disappointing, and i cant set my heart on mewtwo, geno, krool and ridley again

i hope everyone here has played project m. even if you dont like it, dont like melee, but love mewtwo (everyone posting in this thread should). go get a 2gb sd card on amazon. then download a file, copy and paste it (it really is that simple) and check out what they did to mewtwo. it is -beautiful-. i would cry of happiness if they just took pm mewtwo and put him into smash 4. hes that amazing

Winchester7314

Smash Journeyman
thank you. i havent been able to get a single person to agree with me in this thread lol. everyone here is so... so optimistic with hype and hope i feel theyre almost blinded as to the reality of the situation. i want him to be in the game, but he has so much work ahead of him to be a good character that its terrifying. i learned from brawl to curb your enthusiam, these leaks are real no matter how disappointing, and i cant set my heart on mewtwo, geno, krool and ridley again

i hope everyone here has played project m. even if you dont like it, dont like melee, but love mewtwo (everyone posting in this thread should). go get a 2gb sd card on amazon. then download a file, copy and paste it (it really is that simple) and check out what they did to mewtwo. it is -beautiful-. i would cry of happiness if they just took pm mewtwo and put him into smash 4. hes that amazing
PM is my main game....nobody kill me for saying this, but I honestly prefer it over melee. Its all the good of melee and brawl jammed into one game :D But I really dont see how he needs alot of work. I myself would prefer his moveset be generally unchanged. Alllow him to act out of teleport and be able to hover. I could go for disable being changed but thats it. PM mewtwo I feel is the peak of how great mewtwo can get, and he's honestly perfect in PM. Emukiller and M2k brought out mewtwos best in sktar. Watch this magnificent match, they both did great.

Last edited:

itsaxelol

Smash Ace
PM is my main game....nobody kill me for saying this, but I honestly prefer it over melee. Its all the good of melee and brawl jammed into one game :D But I really dont see how he needs alot of work. I myself would prefer his moveset be generally unchanged. Alllow him to act out of teleport and be able to hover. I could go for disable being changed but thats it. PM mewtwo I feel is the peak of how great mewtwo can get, and he's honestly perfect in PM. Emukiller and M2k brought out mewtwos best in sktar. Watch this magnificent match, they both did great.
im talking about smash 4 mewtwo needing work, not PM mewtwo. smash 4 mewtwo needs a lot of work because he needs to be PM mewtwo. a buffed mewtwo with new techs, hover, acting out of teleport, a disjointed hitbox on his tail, a badass male voice, etc

Winchester7314

Smash Journeyman
im talking about smash 4 mewtwo needing work, not PM mewtwo. smash 4 mewtwo needs a lot of work because he needs to be PM mewtwo. a buffed mewtwo with new techs, hover, acting out of teleport, a disjointed hitbox on his tail, a badass male voice, etc
sorry, the way you're wording it makes it seem like you mean he's got to be completley different.

I'ts not really that much to make him like PM mewtwo.

Last edited:

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
I don't really see balancing to be too much of a problem. If Mewtwo does happen to be in Smash 4, why would they bother keeping his properties the same as they were in Melee? Everyone else is getting reworked. Granted, we just can't say "Mewtwo should be the best because we love him, so make him the strongest character in the game." That'd be a little unfair.

itsaxelol

Smash Ace
on paper? no, its not. youre right. but you have to realize this isnt PMs developers. its sakurais team

shuirblur - i hope youre right. its just i feel all the stars need to be aligned for me to be truly happy. its not so much balancing itself. its

1) him getting in at all, which honestly looks worse and worse as time goes on
2) not having a female voice
3) making sure his male voice isnt an unknown VA that will do a bad job (if you play nintendo games you know that ninty has bad habits with not retaining voice actors)
4) all of that on top of being balanced and making sure hes at least viable

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
on paper? no, its not. youre right. but you have to realize this isnt PMs developers. its sakurais team
Sakurai's team, no offense to the efforts of project M developers, puts in more work. More effort, I cannot say- but more work I cano assuredly say. They are not modifying a game, they are entirely creating one. Project M is phenomenal, and I think part of the fun is that we have many things to choose from- and even more, that the work on project M is seemingly influencing the work in SSB4 so heavily.
But make no mistake that the work done in the new games is quite that much more of any that to a mod.

Winchester7314

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai's team, no offense to the efforts of project M developers, puts in more work. More effort, I cannot say- but more work I cano assuredly say. They are not modifying a game, they are entirely creating one. Project M is phenomenal, and I think part of the fun is that we have many things to choose from- and even more, that the work on project M is seemingly influencing the work in SSB4 so heavily.
But make no mistake that the work done in the new games is quite that much more of any that to a mod.
nobody here said they weren't putting in alot of work :/ so I'm not entirley sure what point you're tryingto make.

Last edited:

itsaxelol

Smash Ace
that wasnt meant to be a slight at sakurais team, its just PM is about playing with all these characters at a high level. they dont need to do anything else, since the game is made for them. with pm, the majority of the time is spent on balancing. there are updates for balancing. it will continue to be tweaked. whereas in smash, only a small time window is devoted to balancing. they are less inclined to give mewtwo all these techs. thats all i meant; i wasnt saying sakurais guys were lazy

Winchester7314

Smash Journeyman
But the Mewtwo that is relevant is the one with the female voice not the male one. If Mewtwo is going to be included in Smash because of it's relevance of late then we do have to take that into consideration.
sorry but i have to disagree with this. just because hes relevant for the movie doesnt mean its a good idea.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
That was hard to watch. Emukiller beat M2K 3-0 with Mewtwo. It just doesn't seem right. I've seen Jason do so much better in PM before. I didn't pay attention to the date, though; is this an old video? I mean, 'cause damn. Emukiller was reading M2K like a book.

Steelia

Smash Champion
That was hard to watch. Emukiller beat M2K 3-0 with Mewtwo. It just doesn't seem right. I've seen Jason do so much better in PM before. I didn't pay attention to the date, though; is this an old video? I mean, 'cause damn. Emukiller was reading M2K like a book.
M2K noted he's terrible at Mewtwo dittos; does much better against fast-falling chars since he can hover-combo them and whatnot. Also, video was uploaded last month, so it's fairly recent.

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
Mewtwo's voice actor in Melee died?! Dammit! that was his coolest voice! :cry:
No, Mewtwo's melee voice actor is Japanese and I believe still alive, however he is 60+ years old. Phillip Bartlett was his English voice in the first movie, and died not long after.

SmashBroski

Smash Ace
NNID
BookerDewott
3DS FC
1907-9072-8026
Is there an actual source for the Xenoblades director stating that his favorite Pokemon is Mewtwo?

XLIFE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
fevariblaze
So... I just realized I posted this on the wrong thread lol, but here's my theory on how Mewtwo/Shulk could be done.

We see an abandoned laboratory with fog around and some Mechon inside, they're destroying everything, but suddenly out pops Shulk and kills them all with the Monado. After he thinks he got em all, he sees a sleeping pod empty and wonders what could've been inside, out of nowhere he starts floating with purple aura around him and this guy pops out of the darkness.

They start to fight until Shulk breaks his armor and notices he's not a Mechon. They look at each other a while and after more Mechon arrive they proceed to beating them up together.
This mixed in with some gameplay for both of them seems believable for a 3 minute trailer, at least I think.

@ORVO5

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
So... I just realized I posted this on the wrong thread lol, but here's my theory on how Mewtwo/Shulk could be done.

We see an abandoned laboratory with fog around and some Mechon inside, they're destroying everything, but suddenly out pops Shulk and kills them all with the Monado. After he thinks he got em all, he sees a sleeping pod empty and wonders what could've been inside, out of nowhere he starts floating with purple aura around him and this guy pops out of the darkness.

They start to fight until Shulk breaks his armor and notices he's not a Mechon. They look at each other a while and after more Mechon arrive they proceed to beating them up together.
This mixed in with some gameplay for both of them seems believable for a 3 minute trailer, at least I think.
Nice thats a great way to make it a double reveal if mewtwo is in there.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Yeah, that's what I'm hoping for. The good thing about the armor in the trailer is it could lead to that being an alternate for him.
But the sad part is the users thinks mewtwo is impossible to be with shulk due to the armor in 1 appearance

And this veteran a better shot of being with shulk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom