• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fact 54 - Mewtwo Is On The Way [Social/General Discussion]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saint Johns

Smash Apprentice
NNID
HyperSlash
Okay SmashBoards-Mewtwo hopefuls, we're here to speculate in this thread, right? Well, don't make fun of me but while I was taking a break from doing some illustrations (hence the Photoshop writing on the picture below) I was looking at the flier given out at the World Hobby Fair. I wasn't looking for anything in particular when I noticed that there were at least a couple of patterns used for the arrangement of the characters on the flier.

Pattern (A) As you can see, all the Pokemon are equally spaced apart in a pyramid, which might mean it's deliberate. Pikachu, of course, at the top of the pyramid, and below him are 5 boxes with Charizard and Lucario at the ends, and below that is what would be 7 boxes if the Mii Fighters didn't take up 3 spaces; at one end is Greninja, and at the other end is the hidden character.

Pattern (B) As you'll notice, the bottom row of the roster on the first page has 6 boxes. From left to right, there's 5 newcomers and 1 veteran. On the second page, the set up is the same, except instead of a veteran, it's the unrevealed slot.

Pattern (C) Let's just say for the sake of geeky speculation, the number of question marks as a placeholder for a name actually represent the same amount of letters that are in the hidden character's true name. There are 6 question marks. I borrowed this idea from speculations on other forums/commenters/etc. regarding the identity of the hidden character.

So let's connect the dots:

Based on Pattern A, the hidden character is a Pokemon.
Based on Pattern B, the hidden character is a veteran.
Based on Pattern C, the hidden character has 6 letters to his name.

To be clear, my intention wasn't to take this seriously, I just thought it was fun. Could this be proof of something? Even if it's deliberate, it's questionable. So let's just have fun with it yeah?

IT'S FREAKING MEWTWO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is cool and I want it to be true but I also have a theory. I think that this refers to the order that all of the characters were introduced into Smash Bros.(except for the third-parties and Mii Fighters). The positioning of the first eight refers to the order of their slots on the Smash 64 character select screen.

MYU2

Smash Apprentice
If Mewtwo is in and event matches return, would you guys like to see Sakurai remake Event 51 from melee again?

Oops!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
aguyudontknow
3DS FC
1693-1719-9908
If Mewtwo is in and event matches return, would you guys like to see Sakurai remake Event 51 from melee again?
I loved the event matches and would definitely like to see more of them. With an expanded roster, there's even more room for getting creative with them than there was in Melee.

Polo

Smash Cadet
Okay SmashBoards-Mewtwo hopefuls, we're here to speculate in this thread, right? Well, don't make fun of me but while I was taking a break from doing some illustrations (hence the Photoshop writing on the picture below) I was looking at the flier given out at the World Hobby Fair. I wasn't looking for anything in particular when I noticed that there were at least a couple of patterns used for the arrangement of the characters on the flier.

Pattern (A) As you can see, all the Pokemon are equally spaced apart in a pyramid, which might mean it's deliberate. Pikachu, of course, at the top of the pyramid, and below him are 5 boxes with Charizard and Lucario at the ends, and below that is what would be 7 boxes if the Mii Fighters didn't take up 3 spaces; at one end is Greninja, and at the other end is the hidden character.

Pattern (B) As you'll notice, the bottom row of the roster on the first page has 6 boxes. From left to right, there's 5 newcomers and 1 veteran. On the second page, the set up is the same, except instead of a veteran, it's the unrevealed slot.

Pattern (C) Let's just say for the sake of geeky speculation, the number of question marks as a placeholder for a name actually represent the same amount of letters that are in the hidden character's true name. There are 6 question marks. I borrowed this idea from speculations on other forums/commenters/etc. regarding the identity of the hidden character.

To be clear, my intention wasn't to take this seriously, I just thought it was fun. Could this be proof of something? Even if it's deliberate, it's questionable. So let's just have fun with it yeah?

This is interesting. Completely and utterly crazy, yes - but very intriguing nonetheless. Good observations!
Of course, as you suggested, I won't take this particularly seriously for now, but - if nothing else - it's a little bit of extra hope and provides us with some straws to grasp at :)

Last edited:
NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465

Dude, this has got hype coursing through my body, this evidence actually seems extremely legit.....we might just be getting Mewtwo sooner then we expected! Heck, if you look closely the silhouette even looks like him!

MYU2

Smash Apprentice
Not trying to destroy the hype or anything but I think it would be Mewtwo's Japanese name not his English translation.

Last edited:

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
This is cool and I want it to be true but I also have a theory. I think that this refers to the order that all of the characters were introduced into Smash Bros.(except for the third-parties and Mii Fighters). The positioning of the first eight refers to the order of their slots on the Smash 64 character select screen.
It's true, and I have noticed that as well. I tried following that pattern but there are a lot of discrepancies. A lot of them involve design choices based on marketing or proportions, but the thing is, the characters that surround the triangle have interchangeable positions, which leads me to think that it's highly unlikely that this evenly spaced triangle is a coincidence. The one thing we can trust though is that, professional graphic designers wouldn't randomly just put things together. Obviously this roster arrangement was carefully well thought of. (A) The Smash 64 > Melee > Brawl > Wii U characters are all aligned, (B) the three guest characters are featured in the middle, and the (C) Pokemon triangle. 3 seems to be a recurring number in this comedic conspiracy theory. Triforce?! Just joking.

:zeldamelee::linkmelee::ganondorfmelee:

Not trying to destroy the hype or anything but I think it would be Mewtwo's Japanese name not his English translation.
There's also Myūtsū :)

Also, feel free to dissect the theories! I would like that actually. There's no legitimate hype here anyway, just random speculation.

Last edited:
NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
He's saying that based on the page being in japanese it should use mewtwo's japanese name which is "myutsu". But he spelled it wrong(he added an extra u), so its STILL 6 letters. his japanese name is NOT mewtwo, Speed.
Oh, hmm....I could of sworn it was spelled Mewtwo when I played on the Japanese setting of Melee. Oh well. lol

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
ミュウツー is the Japanese name. Romaji would be Myutsuu, but the official spelling is Mewtwo since that's technically what they wanted it to be in the first place. There's two "u"s at the end because the line thing is supposed to extend the sound.

Last edited:

Swift Fox

Smash Lord
ミュウツー is the Japanese name. Romanji would be Myutsuu, but the official spelling is Mewtwo since that's technically what they wanted it to be in the first place. There's two "u"s at the end because the line thing is supposed to extend the sound.
Well there is one more U "ウ" in the first part of ミュウツー and it's sorta like ー in the middle. It got to be Myuutsuu or Myutsu or even Myūtsū, but I've never seen "Myutsuu".

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I loved the event matches and would definitely like to see more of them. With an expanded roster, there's even more room for getting creative with them than there was in Melee.
There was less of them in Brawl though (despite having an expanded roster) wasn't there? For some reason I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't return at all, but if they do I'd definitely be down for some variation of Melee's event 51 with Mewtwo in it. It won't be exactly like Melee's version since Giga Bowser remains a final smash instead of the boss it once was, but they could mix it up between having Mewtwo, Dedede, and some other villains in it.

Not touching that roster image speculation with a 10 ft pole.

RockerJay

Smash Cadet
NNID
flutterjay

It could just as likely be Jigglypuff.

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
It could just as likely be Jigglypuff.
The main reason it hasn't been brought up is because there are 6 question marks. But I have to admit I would laugh it turned out to be just that. ...of course, it would be sad laughter.

:201m::201e::201w::201t::201w::201o:
:201f::201h::201r:
:201s::201m::201a::201s::201h:

The Unown have spoken.
(I know, double post....But I felt this had to be done. XD Sorry...) :150:

Last edited by a moderator:

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
Well there is one more U "ウ" in the first part of ミュウツー and it's sorta like ー in the middle. It got to be Myuutsuu or Myutsu or even Myūtsū, but I've never seen "Myutsuu".
I just forgot to add the "u" there. It can be Myuutsuu or Myūtsū.

Metros

Smash Ace
NNID
metros2soul

That's definitely an interesting observation! I also noticed that the characters seemed to placed in random spots, but didn't really think further into it, so you've basically clarified I wasn't wrong to think there was another reason why they weren't categorized by game.

I've studied design through out schooling and university so I believe it isn't a coincidence that the characters are placed in that particular fashion, there was thought put into this flier. As for the '??????' it's essentially the same. Why did they choose exactly 6? It's silly to assume it's a random box considering the Japanese below mentions something about 'More characters to come!'

But guess what I just realised! This is also just a speculation but, the Japanese underneath the '??????' box says:

ほかにもまだまだ参戦キャラが 登場 - hoka ni mo madamada sansen kyara ga toujyou (or tojo)

My Japanese isn't at a high enough level yet buuuuut from what I can understand, the meaning for 'sansen' is 'participation in a war,' which translates to me as 'war veteran' WHICH means obviously, veteran!

Basically the entire thing means 'Veterans have appeared, there are still more to come' in English. That's just a rough translation though, I'll ask my Japanese friend if it's correct :)

My hopes are pretty high now!

Last edited:

thebadlamp

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thebadlamp2
3DS FC
0963-0296-0917
Trolling/Fake leak
New leak! http://imgur.com/ApBq0oB
http://imgur.com/xr2n9vd
This one has got to be real!
The leaker said "I went on the site today and I saw this, most of the images were not there however I screenshoted the page and posted them, also another thing I noticed was that there seems to be a way to play as Mew as well because there was a character called Mewtwo and Mew. I tried going back later but it was back to normal."

Last edited:

Metros

Smash Ace
NNID
metros2soul
New leak!

The leaker said "I went on the site today and I saw this, most of the images were not there however I screenshoted the page and posted them, also another thing I noticed was that there seems to be a way to play as Mew as well because there was a character called Mewtwo and Mew. I tried going back later but it was back to normal."
The images are broken, are you able to fix them?

Also, where was this?

ZombieVito

Smash Journeyman
Reported.

Oops!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
aguyudontknow
3DS FC
1693-1719-9908
There was less of them in Brawl though (despite having an expanded roster) wasn't there? For some reason I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't return at all, but if they do I'd definitely be down for some variation of Melee's event 51 with Mewtwo in it. It won't be exactly like Melee's version since Giga Bowser remains a final smash instead of the boss it once was, but they could mix it up between having Mewtwo, Dedede, and some other villains in it.

Honestly, I have very little recollection of them in Brawl, so I assume you're right. But Brawl also had the Subspace. So far, it doesn't look like we'll be getting anything quite like that for Smash 4, so I would guess they'd fill in that gap with the old, fun, no-story-necessary stuff like Board the Platforms or a multitude of event battles.

As for event 51, which I realized I forgot to address in my last post, I thought that was one of the coolest things in Melee. But I think Mewtwo certainly isn't lacking Poke-comrades as much as he was in Melee, and his recent portrayals don't make him seem likely to be rolling with the likes of Bowser and Ganondorf anymore. I'd like to see a Pokemon battle event, unlocked once you have all Pokemon characters available for play. A unique 6-player (assuming current Pokemon + Mewtwo and Jiggs) free-for-all where you choose which of the 6 you want to be then have to prove that it's the best by winning the free-for-all.

Edit: OOH, since 6 is the maximum number of Pokemon allowed in one's party in the games, there could be an event that either unlocks once you have all 6 where you have to fight them all in a row with your character of choice, OR the event could become unlocked once you have 5 Pokemon excepting Mewtwo available then for the event, you fight those 5 and at the very end, "Challenger Approaching!" Mewtwo's silhouette appears, manly tears of happiness are shed, heads explode etc.

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
So when's this World Hobby Fair suppose to end?
I think it already ended like a day ago, and sadly we didn't get a reveal. And apparently the question marks on the flier just tell us that there are more characters to come, which is obvious. But I guess there's no need to talk about it anymore as the event is over. I do like the Mewtwo-theory for it though haha!

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
I have been really hoping for Mewtwo's return. The hope for him is definetely there. He was in the forbidden 7 along with Plusle and Minun so there was originally 6 Pokemon planned for brawl. If you count Pokemon Trainer as 3 and Plusle and Minun as 4 that is a whopping 8 Pokemon! I willl definetely believe 6 Pokemon in smash if Jigglypuff returns.

Honestly, I have very little recollection of them in Brawl, so I assume you're right. But Brawl also had the Subspace. So far, it doesn't look like we'll be getting anything quite like that for Smash 4, so I would guess they'd fill in that gap with the old, fun, no-story-necessary stuff like Board the Platforms or a multitude of event battles.

As for event 51, which I realized I forgot to address in my last post, I thought that was one of the coolest things in Melee. But I think Mewtwo certainly isn't lacking Poke-comrades as much as he was in Melee, and his recent portrayals don't make him seem likely to be rolling with the likes of Bowser and Ganondorf anymore. I'd like to see a Pokemon battle event, unlocked once you have all Pokemon characters available for play. A unique 6-player (assuming current Pokemon + Mewtwo and Jiggs) free-for-all where you choose which of the 6 you want to be then have to prove that it's the best by winning the free-for-all.

Edit: OOH, since 6 is the maximum number of Pokemon allowed in one's party in the games, there could be an event that either unlocks once you have all 6 where you have to fight them all in a row with your character of choice, OR the event could become unlocked once you have 5 Pokemon excepting Mewtwo available then for the event, you fight those 5 and at the very end, "Challenger Approaching!" Mewtwo's silhouette appears, manly tears of happiness are shed, heads explode etc.

I don't quite recall Mewtwo playing the role of a villain other than the first movie so I agree he isn't on the Bowser or Ganondorf level. He might have been a villain in a few Pokemon spin-offs but the reason the series is popular is the main series games. The last time I checked Sakurai follows the Pokemon Movies and the Main series games.

Last edited by a moderator:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Please don't double post.

I don't think he follows the movies exactly. To me at least, Charizard kinda came off as antagonistic in Greninja's reveal trailer.

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
Please don't double post.

I don't think he follows the movies exactly. To me at least, Charizard kinda came off as antagonistic in Greninja's reveal trailer.

Sorry that was my first post so I didn't know that. I guess you can say Charizard was antagonistic because he went up against some of the main characters in a 5 on 1 thing or whatever. Although it's smash and they fight all the time. I can play Brawl and make Ike seem antagonistic by fighting Mario, Link, and Samus in a 3 on 1 and beat them all.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Hi everyone!
I'm a new user and I decided to write my very first post here because I really believe (and hope) that Mewtwo is in the game.

IMO he can be considered the "villain" of Pokemon, just like Wolf (who is an anti-hero) is the one of StarFox or Meta Knight was for Kirby, or Wario is the one of...Wario?! Also Sakurai already considered him a villain in Melee.
Another point for him is the fact that we need his Y Megaevolution for complete them:
-Normal (Lucario)
-X Only (Charizard)
-Y Only (Mewtwo)

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord

I believe there was an event in Brawl where you had to fight every villain and anti-hero in the game. Instead of fighting them all at once when you defeated one another came in.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
I believe there was an event in Brawl where you had to fight every villain and anti-hero in the game. Instead of fighting them all at once when you defeated one another came in.
Yes, that was a 2 Player only Event. Event 20, if i remember right.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

Well nobody was shown

But this is still excellent checking of that character box being mewtwo

Who knows maybe august direct we will see him.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I'm sad that people are believing this theory.
Not even @ ORVO5 ORVO5 was serious about it.

If Mewtwo fans become the new Ridley fans it will be a very sad day.

Winchester7314

Smash Journeyman

Its called speculation. We didnt believe without a doubt it was exactly correct, we were just making observations that could lead to an announcment. NOBODY said that this was true, so Im not sure if I should be the one sad that you believe we're that nuts :/

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
I chuckled.

Last edited:

Winchester7314

Smash Journeyman

You know, Im kindof frustrated at how you two are claiming we're psychopaths seeing things in clouds. This was alll just reasonable observations. Noone was screaming to the heavens MEWTWO CONFIRMED. Please, observe this image.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
What theory?
The question mark box one.

I know nobody flat out said "it's real" but even getting confidence boosts from the theory is laughable.
Mewtwo has a lot going in his favor, we don't need a theory that was already proven false to be confident in him.

I've seen a few fanbases go to **** and I don't want to see this one have a similar fate.
So I suggest we move on from the theory. It was simply an observation, nothing more.

Other fanbases will look at it as straw-grasping, trust me.

Last edited:

Winchester7314

Smash Journeyman
The question mark box one.

I know nobody flat out said "it's real" but even getting confidence boosts from the theory is laughable.
Mewtwo has a lot going in his favor, we don't need a theory that was already proven false to be confident in him.

I've seen a few fanbases go to **** and I don't want to see this one have a similar fate.
So I suggest we move on from the theory. It was simply an observation, nothing more.
I get why you feel that way, but you also have to allow for hype/hope. Why do you think mewtwo has such good favors? because he has a large fanbase around him that wants him in the game. The minute we look like we don't give a damn about him is the minute we lose him.
Dont be that over protective mother whos afraid to let her kid leave the house, because her other kid died in an accident(ridley).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom