• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fact 54 - Mewtwo Is On The Way [Social/General Discussion]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Seems like a similar event to the one they did here in the US with Best Buy. Is there anything that would suggest otherwise?
Speculation and the picture that was shown with the hidden '?' mark. Though it is also about people being hopeful.

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
Speculation and the picture that was shown with the hidden '?' mark. Though it is also about people being hopeful.
Ah, gotcha. I wonder if Sakurai ever reads these types of posts and be all like, "SMH, can't I just say something without people thinking I'm hiding something?" Haha. But hey I'm not sure what the full context of this event is, I would love for there to be an announcement of sorts, but so far it seems unlikely.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Ah, gotcha. I wonder if Sakurai ever reads these types of posts and be all like, "SMH, can't I just say something without people thinking I'm hiding something?" Haha. But hey I'm not sure what the full context of this event is, I would love for there to be an announcement of sorts, but so far it seems unlikely.
Agreed.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Out of curiosity, how would you all react in the event that Mewtwo isn't playable?

D

Deleted member

Out of curiosity, how would you all react in the event that Mewtwo isn't playable?
In order:

1. Sad
2. Questioning
3. Disappointed
4. Frustrated

All because not only is Mewtwo my favorite character in Smash but also because this would've been the 3rd time out of 4 that Mewtwo was mentioned/planned in some way (only mentioned so far, but it can be inferred that the way he was mentioned pointed to his playability, potentially) only to not be in the final game. If he didn't make it in, and we had another Forbidden Seven situation, I would be extremely angry.

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
Pretty bummed to be honest. I would lose all Smash hype. Would still buy the game, (the 3DS version since I already have a 3DS) but won't be a priority compared to now where I'm ready to buy the 3DS version, then the Wii U version when it comes out (along with a console which I'll be buying just for Smash.)

I'm one of those players that chooses a main and trains with them over and over again to perfection. When I bought Brawl, I played it a few times (enough to unlock everyone) but within a month I kinda just lost interest because it was just different and there were no characters I wanted to use as a main, so I stuck with Melee. I would have done Ganondorf but I felt weird playing him because he was just a clone. If Mewtwo won't be in the game, I think I'll just stick with Project M. And if by some miracle there's a Project M 2, I'll move on to that.

Last edited:
NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
(First off, HELLO EVERYONE. XD I'm new here, and it's nice to meet everyone. I'm a huge Mewtwo supporter myself and I look forward to his return. ^^)
I think it'd be a huge shock to not have him back, specifically because Sakurai has been tailoring to the recommendations of his fans for this game. One example is the removal of tripping, and of course the addition of Mega Man. Neglecting to add Mewtwo back would seem unfitting compared to what he has already done. I would be depressed, but it would still be a good game nonetheless.

thebadlamp

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thebadlamp2
3DS FC
0963-0296-0917
Welcome and excellent evidence for mewtwo coming back.

I hope you can find a link to that interview.
Found one: nintendoeverything .com /super-smash-bros-for-wii-u3ds-live-blog/ (I haven't hit 10 posts yet so I had to space out the link.)

The direct quote is "All of the characters to consider were on our internal roster from the beginning of development. We had a slot for a new Pokemon reserved, but did not way for X and Y. We decided to use Greninja well before X/Y came out, based on early reference drawings."

When he said new it could mean new to smash bros or new to Pokémon (probably the latter) but the point is still there.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Deconfirmed not playable, or, was not revealed and his status remained unchanged?
Doesn't really matter. Just how would you react if it turns out, one way or another, that Mewtwo is not playable?

thebadlamp

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thebadlamp2
3DS FC
0963-0296-0917
If anyone is revealed tomorrow I have a feeling it will be R.O.B, Mewtwo probably won't be revealed until August/September to build hype for the games release (unless it's a secret character).

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
If anyone is revealed tomorrow I have a feeling it will be R.O.B, Mewtwo probably won't be revealed until August/September to build hype for the games release (unless it's a secret character).
I think this is the best strategy, although of course we'd all like to know as soon as possible. Do what's best over what's wanted, right?

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
I think this is the best strategy, although of course we'd all like to know as soon as possible. Do what's best over what's wanted, right?
'Tis true, haha. I mean, imagine how the community will react. Or those on the fence. Just a week or days before the release date, we get all this mind blowing "save the best for last" news, including Mewtwo being in. There's gonna be so much hype that it will be on demand everywhere. Mewtwo or no Mewtwo, I doubt Sakurai would let first-dibs JP players spoil the news for everyone. They [Nintendo and Sakurai] will be forced to spoil the big things before the Sept. 13 release.

Last edited:
NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
'Tis true, haha. I mean, imagine how the community will react. Or those on the fence. Just a week or days before the release date, we get all this mind blowing "save the best for last" news, including Mewtwo being in. There's gonna be so much hype that it will be on demand everywhere. Mewtwo or no Mewtwo, I doubt Sakurai would let first-dibs JP players spoil the news for everyone. They [Nintendo and Sakurai] will be forced to spoil the big things before the Sept. 13 release.
No doubt. I'm sure he'll be posting all of the unlockables on the site as well, just as he did for Brawl. Of course, they'll be hidden with a spoiler alert just like before. ....*cough* Unfortunately though, they are of no use to me as I'm going digging for Mewtwo as soon as they're posted. lol (And of course he'll be the last unlockable....which means I just spoiled everything...*sigh*)

Last edited:

Metros

Smash Ace
NNID
metros2soul
To be honest, I would have little to no interest in buying the game. I'd just be far too disappointed, not to mention upset.

Mewtwo was the reason I started getting into Melee about 5 years ago because he's my favourite character. Not just in smash, but in general. Of course, I have other mains I enjoy playing but Mewtwo was my sole main. I didn't really have any interest in Brawl because overall it felt too slow to me. If Mewtwo's not in Sm4sh I'll just stick to Project M, which is beyond awesome. Though I think modding Mewtwo into PM should at least be enough to show Sakuari how much Mewtwo is wanted back!

I'm still confident he will be in the game. If not then well, my hype is pretty much gone.

Btw, has anybody seen this?

http://mynintendonews.com/2014/06/28/new-smash-bros-character-to-be-revealed-tomorrow/

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
I don't know really. Of course I would be bummed at first, but no character is a "deal breaker" for me, as in, "if a character doesn't get in, I won't buy the game". No, I will still end up buying the game. So even if Mewtwo doesn't make it, I guess I'll just have to live with that. Him not being in Brawl was a huge disappointment though so I'd rather not experience that again haha.

Last edited:

thebadlamp

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thebadlamp2
3DS FC
0963-0296-0917
I would just get annoyed, I would still buy the game day one. I would also need to give my friend $5 because I bet him that mewtwo would get in.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I'd be very upset, angry, and confused.

However I would soon get over it since he'd probably be DLC.
Let's say that Mewtwo doesn't become DLC. How would you react if Mewtwo ends up not being playable at all, in any shape or form, in Smash 4?

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
Last edited:

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
Someone came up with a (admittedly mediocre) theory in the comment section of that article. And it's that there are six question marks in that yet-to-be-revealed box. Apparently Mewtwo's name in Japanese is also 6 letters long, as it is in English. Again, let's not read into this, but I just thought it was an interestingly funny observation.
Wow that's interesting. When time is this event happening? If anything for this event would be announced when would we know?

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
Wow that's interesting. When time is this event happening? If anything for this event would be announced when would we know?
If anything were to be announced, there was no specified time so we wouldn't know. I would assume the Japanese media outlets would know first and spread to the blogospheres from there, whether it's Twitter or big news blogs like IGN/Kotaku.

Again, disclaimer for those who missed it: No one really believes they'll announce anything today.

Winchester7314

Smash Journeyman
Hey just out of curiosety, do any of you randomly NOT get notified more posts are being made in a forum your watching. I didnt even know till just now that there were a whole pages worth of new messages. I wasnt even notified. Is it a smash boards bug or something :p

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
Actually just did a quick search for the World Hobby Fair for today's date (it's about 6AM there in JP) and all that kept coming up were articles that readily assumes they're actually going to reveal the hidden character in the flier. I know we're trying to keep a leveled head here in the forums but I'm actually really interested in finding out if anything's happening today. Edit: Or is it already over? The time difference is confusing me. Do they mean June 29th in our time zone which would be June 30th in their time zone or June 29th in their time zone? If it's the latter, I guess nothing happened lol.

BTW @ Winchester7314 Winchester7314 they condense the newest posts in one notification if you haven't read any of them. Unless you're talking about something else.

Last edited:

Winchester7314

Smash Journeyman
Actually just did a quick search for the World Hobby Fair for today's date (it's about 6AM there in JP) and all that kept coming up were articles that readily assumes they're actually going to reveal the hidden character in the flier. I know we're trying to keep a leveled head here in the forums but I'm actually really interested in finding out if anything's happening today. Does it say Sakurai himself will be there?

PS Still not getting my hopes up.

BTW @ Winchester7314 Winchester7314 they condense the newest posts in one notification if you haven't read any of them. Unless you're talking about something else.
No I mean it straight up gave me no notifications. I looked to the forum because I was sure there was no way this forum went that quiet for that long :p

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
Okay SmashBoards-Mewtwo hopefuls, we're here to speculate in this thread, right? Well, don't make fun of me but while I was taking a break from doing some illustrations (hence the Photoshop writing on the picture below) I was looking at the flier given out at the World Hobby Fair. I wasn't looking for anything in particular when I noticed that there were at least a couple of patterns used for the arrangement of the characters on the flier.

Pattern (A) As you can see, all the Pokemon are equally spaced apart in a pyramid, which might mean it's deliberate. Pikachu, of course, at the top of the pyramid, and below him are 5 boxes with Charizard and Lucario at the ends, and below that is what would be 7 boxes if the Mii Fighters didn't take up 3 spaces; at one end is Greninja, and at the other end is the hidden character.

Pattern (B) As you'll notice, the bottom row of the roster on the first page has 6 boxes. From left to right, there's 5 newcomers and 1 veteran. On the second page, the set up is the same, except instead of a veteran, it's the unrevealed slot.

Pattern (C) Let's just say for the sake of geeky speculation, the number of question marks as a placeholder for a name actually represent the same amount of letters that are in the hidden character's true name. There are 6 question marks. I borrowed this idea from speculations on other forums/commenters/etc. regarding the identity of the hidden character.

So let's connect the dots:

Based on Pattern A, the hidden character is a Pokemon.
Based on Pattern B, the hidden character is a veteran.
Based on Pattern C, the hidden character has 6 letters to his name.

To be clear, my intention wasn't to take this seriously, I just thought it was fun. Could this be proof of something? Even if it's deliberate, it's questionable. So let's just have fun with it yeah?

IT'S FREAKING MEWTWO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Winchester7314

Smash Journeyman
Okay SmashBoards-Mewtwo hopefuls, we're here to speculate in this thread, right? Well, don't make fun of me but while I was taking a break from doing some illustrations (hence the Photoshop writing on the picture below) I was looking at the flier given out at the World Hobby Fair. I wasn't looking for anything in particular when I noticed that there were at least a couple of patterns used for the arrangement of the characters on the flier.

Pattern (A) As you can see, all the Pokemon are equally spaced apart in a pyramid, which might mean it's deliberate. Pikachu, of course, at the top of the pyramid, and below him are 5 boxes with Charizard and Lucario at the ends, and below that is what would be 7 boxes if the Mii Fighters didn't take up 3 spaces; at one end is Greninja, and at the other end is the hidden character.

Pattern (B) As you'll notice, the bottom row of the roster on the first page has 6 boxes. From left to right, there's 5 newcomers and 1 veteran. On the second page, the set up is the same, except instead of a veteran, it's the unrevealed slot.

Pattern (C) Let's just say for the sake of geeky speculation, the number of question marks as a placeholder for a name actually represent the same amount of letters that are in the hidden character's true name. There are 6 question marks. I borrowed this idea from speculations on other forums/commenters/etc. regarding the identity of the hidden character.

So let's connect the dots:

Based on Pattern A, the hidden character is a Pokemon.
Based on Pattern B, the hidden character is a veteran.
Based on Pattern C, the hidden character has 6 letters to his name.

To be clear, my intention wasn't to take this seriously, I just thought it was fun. Could this be proof of something? Even if it's deliberate, it's questionable. So let's just have fun with it yeah?

IT'S FREAKING MEWTWO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You're very intelligent. This is the kindof speculation I can get behind, specualtion + evidence. I like!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
But when are they finally releasing this information? I've seen this pic floating around for days now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom