• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

EXTENNNDUURRRRRR (samus gen. disc.)

What are your favorite moves?

• Total voters

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
iirc? sorry I don't know what that is lol

EDIT: Nvr mnd, google never fails me.

Breaking shields is probably the best feeling ever, one of the.

KidWithChemicals

Smash Cadet
awesome! i'll def have to try wavebombing more, i rarely do that.
like even though i had practiced execution, i barely could find a place for application in matches(or at least never remembered when i was in the moment).. i was talking to Pi a few days ago, and he told me to start using it, and i'm so glad he did. i been looking out for times where i can use it and keeping it in mind with my reads and stuff. but yea, you definitely gotta start using it bro. its so ****.

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
like even though i had practiced execution, i barely could find a place for application in matches(or at least never remembered when i was in the moment).. i was talking to Pi a few days ago, and he told me to start using it, and i'm so glad he did. i been looking out for times where i can use it and keeping it in mind with my reads and stuff. but yea, you definitely gotta start using it bro. its so ****.
Requesting video of said tactic.

Ørn

Smash Journeyman
Bombs on shield leading into stuff sounds like it would theoretically be really good for Samus, since she's pretty weak vs. shields in general. It's something I've wanted to use more in my game for a long time now, but I always kinda forget about it and I'm never able to time the follow-ups right.

Someone should do like... a video or something showing what options you have after bombing the shield. What's the timing like on the wavedash (or waveland or whatever)? I've only tried dairing after a bomb, which is alright, but I can never time the fastfall right and I always land in front of people which is obviously bad.

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
Usually if I bomb on a shield I either dair if I think they'll remain in shield or nair if I think they're gonna jump oos.

KidWithChemicals

Smash Cadet
i don't have a dazzle >_<

when i shoot a missile, i always mix up how i approach on my opponents shield, such as coming in with jabs/grab/WD back/dair/run past them/whatever else. wavbombing can accomplish all of these and **** up their shield in the process.

i've also been using it with tech chasing/missed techs as well.

there's a few other places where i found it incredibly useful, but pretty circumstantial, and hard to explain on here. so i'll have to show you tomorrow when i see you.

abcool

Smash Ace
I use it quite often. Mostly when i knock opponents up onto a platform you can wavebomb behind them into a jab then grab. Don't do it all the time it is situational at best. The timing for it can throw you off depending on when the bomb explodes so that to messes with you.

Acronym duel.

edit: PALINDROME ACRONYM DUEL OMG this **** just got srs
sup.

---

well, that settles it. when i get rid of a file.. i get rid of a file. i deleted my original files, backups, and renders of 'Violence' from my computer and external hardrives, with prejudice. i guess i'm not sad, but i am slightly disappointed that youtube desynched my audio slightly since uploading it, it feels...

do as you wish

Also, I just saw Mango play Samus for 3 matches....

I think my life is complete.
really?? oh thank you

(if you need any of my video assistance in the future, just let me know...)

It's kind of cool because I actually posted the video 9 months before today. (whoa)

(it's like i waited for a baby)

Also what GunPunch said.

edit: hope this is good enough

Violence

Smash Lord
Sorry I didn't get your AIM, PCP, I was out.

http://www.twitch.tv/sfat17/b/333568150

24:00

I suggest getting some lube, dimming the lights, locking the door, and prepping some tissues.

The first match starts off unspectacularly, and Mango looks like he's just adjusting to the character. After the third kill, with the Hugo signature perfect wavedash past you reverse fsmash, he starts... well... being Mango, making incredible reads that are just correct.

The second match, we see non-Samus main syndrome, i.e. inability to recover.

In the third match........... now you can start seeing it.

It's like Hugo. Only... aggressive, pressuring, Hugo.

THE GRABS HE GETS...

The rest... really speaks for itself.

Nothing especially extraordinary, it's all stuff we already know about it, but the way he strings it together, the way he conditions Zac to stay in shield, to react when he's close by, and then his hard reads that he can do because he makes you do something dumb, it's all stuff to learn about.

My main concern is with my tech skill, but I thought these matches were really educational, and I'm going to watch them regularly to remind myself how this character can be played.

Pluplue

Smash Ace
You can get away with playing samus super defensively vs people who don't know the match-up well.
When vs someone who doesn't mess up and knows the mu, then I think samus has to put the pressure back on them or she goes in to super door mat mode.

hugs adapted his playstyle really quickly and it was def impressive.

Violence

Smash Lord
You can get away with playing samus super defensively vs people who don't know the match-up well.
When vs someone who doesn't mess up and knows the mu, then I think samus has to put the pressure back on them or she goes in to super door mat mode.

hugs adapted his playstyle really quickly and it was def impressive.
I agree.

Hugo is actually good at these things too, but I haven't seen him play in so long that I keep remembering the 2006 Hugo who would just get grabs and fsmash the backs of people's shields.

KidWithChemicals

Smash Cadet
i was just messing around with standing missiles. i thought you could only do side specials out of dash dance, sorta like it was a pivot. but i just found out you could can turn around any time while you're running to shoot a smash missile. its pretty dope.

and yea at the defensive samus thing. its incredible to watch how at first glance it looks like hugo played more defensively. i guess as samus players we realize more so than others, how he picked his spots so he could come in with that preshhuhh. im always amazed when i watch his matches.
but agreed, defensive samus doesn't work all that well, from my experience at least.

Theftz22

Smash Lord
I remember at Apex 2012 Hugo was trying to tell Wes that aggro samus doesn't work. Take that for what you will.

It's a bit like trying to tell Thor that can't use his hammer.

Violence

Smash Lord
Aggression and intelligence were never meant to be independent of each other. Using them together is what makes West Coast players so good, and so terrifying.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
WC is just extremes.

They've produced a good mix of aggressive, smart players including Mango, Shroomed, SFAT, SS, S2J, and so forth...

But they also brought Light, Fly Amanita, and Pink Shinobi into the world.

It's not a one-sided offensive affair. WC can be hella gay.

Violence

Smash Lord
Fly is the most aggressive passive-aggressive player, though. It's like he's just itching to **** you if you blink.

Those Peaches... anomalies, like DaShizWiz.

ThePrime

Smash Lord
Random insight i had this morning in the shower:

Other characters like fox can get away with a lot just because he's so safe. A lot of samus' playset isn't that safe imo which means there's a lot of commitment. Which leads in to this:

In an interview with hugo (and stabbed i think?) they went over a game with hugo vs ka-master ucla monthlies a long time ago. Hugo said something kinda crucial which is that throughout the set he frequently found himself resisting urges. Self control. Dsmashes at the ledge, upb oos, wd back utilts. We all want it. But don't always play by feeling, gotta control it. Tell yourself you don't want it. It's like a discipline. It's almost like playing samus conditions you to have godlike self control because if you let in to your urges you'll get punished. Self control and discipline. That being said,

Samus mains are martial artists.

Filthy.

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup; You put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle; You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.

Top Bottom