• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

EXTENNNDUURRRRRR (samus gen. disc.)

What are your favorite moves?

• Total voters

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Here's my Evo pool: http://evo2014.s3.amazonaws.com/brackets/ssbm_d91.html

It was originally super free, but Nintendude and chain_ace have since been moved in. Pretty confident that I can beat both of those guys if I'm playing well, though.

Any tips for edgeguarding Sopo when he goes high? I can usually track him pretty well, but often end up hitting him the wrong way.
When SoPo is squalling, he can't change his momentum beyond a certain point in the animation. Thus if he starts going to the left and he is still going left after about half of the animation, he is committed to it. He can DI the other way but you can react to it since once he starts going backwards he's committed to THAT. Just nair him with the hardest part of the hitbox and rinse, repeat.

Jagoffian

Smash Journeyman
Here's my Evo pool: http://evo2014.s3.amazonaws.com/brackets/ssbm_d91.html

It was originally super free, but Nintendude and chain_ace have since been moved in. Pretty confident that I can beat both of those guys if I'm playing well, though.
Just a heads up, Manatee is a pretty legit SoCal puff. Probably better than chain-ace haha. It seems like you have a good amount of practice in that MU, though.

Smash Journeyman
Ahhhhh Jago you were too nervous on stream vs Armada :( I'm sure you could've gotten a stock if you didn't mess up those recoveries >_<

no shame in getting destroyed by Armada though XD

edit: also, @ ycz12 ycz12 to add to what Jago just said, Manatee nearly beat Tai (1-2 and got Tai down to 1 stock game 2), so watch out :p

Last edited:

Jagoffian

Smash Journeyman
yeah lol I was nervous and kind of out of it since I was done with the rest of my pool. i was definitely playing way too scared. i did take a couple stocks off of him in teams bracket tho.

Last edited:

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
Any tips for edgeguarding Sopo when he goes high? I can usually track him pretty well, but often end up hitting him the wrong way.
Charged Shot :smirk:

If you're worried about killing ICs, you may not want to CP DL64 against them since it lets them live longer and gives them more avenues of recovery. Squall has a surprisingly low amount of lag once it finishes, so if Sopo does it high and jukes around as he falls, it can be annoying to catch him. Darrell lost to Nintendude when he CP'd him to DL64. I'm currently 2-1 against Andrewajt62 in sets, but the one time I lost, I lost on my DL64 CP, and he CP'd me there during the other sets. My reasoning is that you should be able to plat camp him just as well on other stages, and you can kill ICs even earlier on other stages, but DL64's large blastzones won't help you at all if you get wobbled and you can't reach the top platform if you have to emergency upB from the middle of the stage to avoid being grabbed or something. Just something to think about...

BillNyeTheSamusGuy

Smash Journeyman
Hey, what are samus's options while being laser spammed by falcos? So far I have stay in shield til shieldpoked and just get hit down pat haha. But seriously all the falcos in my area are content with just spamming laser. Also, it seems at higher levels of play falco doesn't spam as much?

Smash Journeyman
Practice wavedashing out of shield / general movement, and maybe try powershielding the lasers. Use platforms to your advantage; try to get into close enough range that the Falco doesn't feel comfortable lasering. (At higher levels Falco doesn't spam as much because the opponent is threatening to punish their lasers, not because the Falco doesn't want to laser... though I guess some people don't like "campy playstyles" either.)

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Actually, at higher levels of play, they can very well spam just as much if you let them, lolz. Don't believe me? Play some sets against Bones and Zanguzen. :p It's just that their opponents are probably better at getting around it, so it doesn't seem like they're camping.

WDing OoS between lasers is useful. Once you get close enough, Falco won't be able to freely shoot lasers anymore because at a certain distance, even being hit by the laser won't make it safe for him. If you can make it onto a platform at a safe distance, you can try to drop a missile between the lasers. The lasers are transcendent, so you'll immediately force him to respect your missile as an option. Once you get in, try to stay in but don't try to force anything if he gets away. Shooting uncharged shots can also force him to respect your options.

Edit: As 343 said, try to use platforms to your advantage. If you are standing on a plat fairly close to Falco (say you are on the right edge of the left plat and Falco is in the middle of the stage), he should stop lasering and respect your ability to come down with nair. If he doesn't.....then hit him. :smirk: Once you start outsmarting their laser options, they might start running away to platforms. At this point, the MU can become really annoying.

Last edited:

Smash Journeyman
Plup and Hugs both got taken out by Axe :( I don't really agree with the Yoshi's cp by Plup :/ but really Axe won because he got a couple good reads; could go either way next time!

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Man, I was really hoping that Plup would let that Charged Shot loose at at Axe at the end of his last stock on Yoshi's. :ohwell: Still, 9th out of almost 1,000 people is incredible. At this point, no one can really contest that, once again, a Samus is a world-class top Melee player. Good stuff, Plup! :)

ycz12

Smash Ace
I played some friendlies with PL at Evo. He's quite good, beat me a bunch of times in the ditto, and beat me with a bunch of his secondaries too.

OddCrow

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1676-3709-1310
I'll get Axe next time :)
Plup! Awesome performance at EVO, I was cheering for you to beat Axe!

As the best samus player in the world currently, do you think Samus' bair is under-explored?

ManoxMano

Smash Journeyman
So why isn't CC dsmash used against Pikachu's nair? I know this is probably a dumb question but I am very curious, this option did not came up much in either of Plup's or HugS' games.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
I would think that, as the best Pika player and a top Melee player in general, Axe would know how to avoid putting himself into situations where he can be CC dsmashed. Most competent players know, going into the Samus MU, that they should watch out for CC shenanigans. I'm not sure how low the landing lag on Pika's nair is so I can't speak for late nairs, but I believe if Pika flies through Samus with an early nair, he should be safe. Everything else, other than Pika's dsmash, looks pretty CC-able.

Noxus

Smash Cadet
yeah, Axe has lots of practice with Corigames, so he probably knows the Samus matchup pretty well.

Cyr played at Avalon IV in the Netherlands this weekend (during EVO)! http://www.twitch.tv/saltyplayground/b/546826947 around 8:10:30 is his game vs Baxon; his bairs that first game are RIDICULOUS.
Cyr was playing out of his mind that game, havnt seen any samus use Bairs so well. Has Cyr entered any US tournaments? It would be interesting to see how he would go, he seems like a cross between Darrell and Plup in terms of combo game and movement

ManoxMano

Smash Journeyman
His Puff MU is very interesting. Lots of dairs, but i wish he had a better grasp on how to use the charge shot (then again, he plays with that puff all the time, so puff prolly knows how/when he shoots)

ycz12

Smash Ace
Hugs critiqued my game with Lil Fumi on his stream last night, you can check out the archive at twitch.tv/hugs86 if this interests you.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
If there's a Samus player for whom we should donate to a 'get-to-EVO' fund, it's probably Plup, IMO. He's the most likely to make it to top 8. Foreign players are nice and all, but in the end, I really just want to see a Samus do extremely well on the grandest stage of all.

Smash Journeyman
Well, I think we're all interested in seeing how Cyr stacks up vs the rest of the top Samus players!

Smash Journeyman
Nah, basically Djlo is posting lots of Samus techniques to Smashboards, revealing all our secrets ;P Of course none of this is actually secret to a Samus main, but I'm sure lots of newer players can learn something from this.

BillNyeTheSamusGuy

Smash Journeyman
So what do you do against a campy fox? There's a dude in my area who plays predominantly from top platforms and it feels like there's no meaningful interaction I can have with him while he's in this position. I feel like just letting him choose when he can approach me is a losing battle but there's no good way to aggres either.

JerkPhil

Smash Journeyman
I always counterpick/strike to YS or FoD if I know or notice my opponent is capable of camping. On these stages we can corner the spacies much easier and not give them any room to laser camp.
When it comes to platform camping, Samus HAS issues at DL64 as the top platform is so high. The problem is not the way up, but the way down due to our slow falling speed. An idea is to shoot missiles from the side platforms in this case.
The top platform is lower on YS, FoD anf BF, so we can easier poke them from below with Fair or Uair. If they tend to shield our aerials, mix up the approach with bomblands on their shield. If they try to outprioritize our approach, mix up your timing and do an empty short hop to bait their aerial and then punish with Fair or Uair.
As you may know, our upB's landing lag is shorter if we do it grounded up to YS's and FoD's top platform. This makes upB an less risky approach to catch them off guard some time.

Smash Journeyman
@zDuck posted about the arm grab box a few months ago when he was talking about his match vs HBox. An amusing, but almost certainly useless, follow up to a spacie with no DI (and no reaction :p) on upthrow is a regrab (!!!!!) Basically time your grab so that the opponent falls on you as you pull back to grab :D

For reference:

Top Bottom