• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

EVOLUTION 2007= SSBM singles!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KoreanDJ111

Smash Lord
Yo Kirbstir we gotta have some 3S casuals.
Friendlies doesn't exist in 2D fighters. It's called Casuals.

DestradoImpulse

Smash Rookie
* Players will have the option to repick the stage if T Hawk or Zangief stage comes up. They must decide this before the round starts.

What the heck is wrong with those stages? I've never heard of a stage being banned in a Steet Fighter game.
SRK guy here:

On Zangief's stage, I believe that fireballs travel quicker.

I have no clue about T.Hawk's stage though.

ElChibo

Smash Apprentice
Yo everybody, kinda new to the whole tournament scene so I had some questions...

-I remember seeing how they said it was teams, but took that down... does this mean its confirmed singles?
-What are the level restrictions? Considering its singles, is it the pro set of 7 MLG used to use?
-Is there any word if there is an entry fee or not? (for EVO East if it matters)
-I doubt it, but if you qualify in top 8 at one of the first 4 competitions, do you get like free air fare or something to the finals in vegas?
-I know EVO is a 3 day tournament, but with so many games I would think Smash would only be on a single day. Once we know exact times, say Smash is only on Saturday, would I still have to show up at EVO on Friday and Sunday? Trying to find a way to make it as easy as possible to travel up from Philadelphia, and making it a day trip vs an overnight would make it a lot easier.

Wife

Smash Lord
While I would infinitely prefer teams because they are more exciting, everyone is probably right about the overall effectiveness of singles.

But I don't think it would hurt to change things up a little bit. We're already staying where we're "comfortable" by sticking with singles, it would be healthy to switch things up a bit. I say get rid of FoD, no one likes that garbage anyway. Get rid of DL while you're at it, that stage sucks too. 6 minute time limit? Why not 5!

We've been running around in circles since GO with no real changes except for turning TA:ON shortly after then. I say we encourage Evo to mix it up a bit.

edit: oh and another point I wanted to make. AZ was right about one thing: Tournies run long because of the Link dittos that take 9:30, and because you have a bunch of timid guys who are unsure about rules. Keeping it simple is a good idea.

Nite

Smash Champion
I agree that keeping it simple will make the tourney run faster and smoother. This weekend I was at a tourney in GA. The only reason it took so long because there were 10 person pools with people playing Link vs Kirby matches, etc...

S.P.I.C. TOM

Smash Ace
yo I would like to play anybody in 3S, Super Turbo, and KOF 98 if anybody brings it but I need to see the skills of you people because most smashers suck at 3S from what I have seen.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

KrazyKnux

Smash Lord
Sounds interesting. I might just have to go to one of these. Any plans on videotaping?

ResidentWaffle

Smash Lord
Rules
  • Game version: Nintendo Gamecube
  • Game Settings: Singles VS Melee, 2/3 Games, 4 Stock, 6 Minute Timer, No Items
  • If both players can agree on a stage, that stage will be used. If there is conflict, then the rules below come into action.
  • Pool A: Final Destination, Kirby's Dreamland 64, Battlefield, Yoshi's Story, Pokemon Stadium, Fountain of Dreams.
  • Pool B: Mute City, Green Greens, Rainbow Cruise, Kongo Jungle 64, Brinstar, Poke Floats, Corneria, Jungle Japes.
  • The stage for Game 1 will be selected at random from pool A. Any games after that can be from pools A or B.
  • After the stage has been selected by the losing player, the winner of the previous game may change characters, but has to pick first
  • No stage may be used twice in any given set.
  • Glitches used to stop your opponent from controlling their character or indefinitely freezing them (Mewtwo's Soul Stunner, the Ice Climber freeze glitch), or any glitch or trick that freezes the game or makes it unable to be finished are banned and will result in the immediate forfeit of the entire match.
  • Tactics such as Peach's Wallbombing and Jiggly's Rising Pound are allowed as methods of recovery or to maneuver around the stage. Using them (or any similar tactics) to excessively stall a match, such as dropping below levels intentionally and stalling underneath, is banned. If by using one of these tactics, you have put your character in a place to lose a stock by ending the tactic, a judge may force you to stop and lose a life and continue the match short a stock.

darksatar

Smash Rookie
OMG im so excited...i nearly pissed myself at the thought of it...excuse the language >< but omg....i was like...WOOT WOOT...no more simple tourneys around my area...time to hit the bit lights.
Fluf>Marth, sheik, luigi, fox

Mr. 3000

Smash Journeyman
Rules
  • Game version: Nintendo Gamecube
  • Game Settings: Singles VS Melee, 2/3 Games, 4 Stock, 6 Minute Timer, No Items
  • If both players can agree on a stage, that stage will be used. If there is conflict, then the rules below come into action.
  • Pool A: Final Destination, Kirby's Dreamland 64, Battlefield, Yoshi's Story, Pokemon Stadium, Fountain of Dreams.
  • Pool B: Mute City, Green Greens, Rainbow Cruise, Kongo Jungle 64, Brinstar, Poke Floats, Corneria, Jungle Japes.
  • The stage for Game 1 will be selected at random from pool A. Any games after that can be from pools A or B.
  • After the stage has been selected by the losing player, the winner of the previous game may change characters, but has to pick first
  • No stage may be used twice in any given set.
  • Glitches used to stop your opponent from controlling their character or indefinitely freezing them (Mewtwo's Soul Stunner, the Ice Climber freeze glitch), or any glitch or trick that freezes the game or makes it unable to be finished are banned and will result in the immediate forfeit of the entire match.
  • Tactics such as Peach's Wallbombing and Jiggly's Rising Pound are allowed as methods of recovery or to maneuver around the stage. Using them (or any similar tactics) to excessively stall a match, such as dropping below levels intentionally and stalling underneath, is banned. If by using one of these tactics, you have put your character in a place to lose a stock by ending the tactic, a judge may force you to stop and lose a life and continue the match short a stock.
Those rules are so gay, I mean singles, 2 out of 3 with single elimination. I wish they stuck with doubles, at least with that great team work can beat 2 pros if you play right. I know some people are going to argue saying 1 v1s are more serious blah blah, however, without seeding, 1v1's lose their seriousness. People get screwed bad at the start. Thats why before everyone here started complaining about 2v2's you guys should have waited and seen the time frame that smash would be in. 5 and a half hours is too short for singles. Doubles would have been much better. I read a few people saying they weren't going to come because it was doubles, I don't have a partner. Well, to those people, you're screwed even more now, it means when you come to this event from far away, you'll have wasted all that time and traveling to get eliminated in less than 8 min. With doubles, since it's 4 people playing at the same time, double elimination was very possible. As stated on another forum, holding side tournaments won't work too well because the event only lasts 5 hours. Oh, and just NO to mute city!!!!!

And as for that person who said "show up to EVO to demonstrate that we're serious gamers", how about EVO show US that they're serious FIRST and then we'll show up.

Seriously, the heck is up with these anti-heterosexual rules.
Mr. 3000 has spoken

Aesir

Smash Master
And you are....?

edit: wtf evo? I understand how you want smash to succeed and are trying your best, but seriously listen to us. actually listen to people in this community who are smart. please like omni hes a smart dude, or WoZ or god who ever. please! D:

Mr. 3000

Smash Journeyman
And you are....?

edit: wtf evo? I understand how you want smash to succeed and are trying your best, but seriously listen to us. actually listen to people in this community who are smart. please like omni hes a smart dude, or WoZ or god who ever. please! D:
I'm Mr. 3000, it's because of listening to these "smart" community people that the rules are screwed up even more. If these people were so intelligent, they would have requested the time slot for smash instead of asking for singles.

phish-it

Smash Champion
Wow, if your going to run a single elimination tournament, you might as well play hyrule FFA with all items. I had my hopes up for this, but now it's become something of a disappointment....

HipHopSpam

Smash Apprentice
I think I speak for a large portion of the smash community when I say that single elimination sucks. It's bad enough that you play people like Pc in the first round, but the whole event is over after that?! If Evo keeps this going for every event, I say forget evo. I'm sure there are plenty of other companies that could sponser a Smash Only event. Anyone thought about pitching this tourney idea to Nintendo itself? I'm sure they care about their gamers...

phish-it

Smash Champion
Nintendo probably wont do anything until Brawl comes out. Besides, They would probably do it focused more towards the "fun" of it rather than the competition.

Aesir

Smash Master
I'm Mr. 3000, it's because of listening to these "smart" community people that the rules are screwed up even more. If these people were so intelligent, they would have requested the time slot for smash instead of asking for singles.
you're arrogant if you think evo is just gonna bend to our will cause we think its the best thing to do. situations like this are about compromise, they don't have alot of time and smash matches take a long time.

ResidentWaffle

Smash Lord
Its not just Smash all events are single elimination also, unless your pro its highly unlikely that you'd win anything so it just means more time for friendlies for you plus south is free if you had to pay to get in it might be more outrageous but you don't its free.

Mr. 3000

Smash Journeyman
you're arrogant if you think evo is just gonna bend to our will cause we think its the best thing to do. situations like this are about compromise, they don't have alot of time and smash matches take a long time.
Dude, I'm not being arrogant, you started targeting my posts and I'm replying back. They did switch the rules because of everyone's complaints(will). I'm pretty good in smash, but I won't say I'm the best, knowing this, and considering I have never heard of you before, you might be one of those people who go down within the first round. I don't wish this upon you, but, I know that any pro who looks at these rules are peeing their pants in happiness, and will love to take advantage of the mute city stage and and cheese you out. And let's not forget Green Greens, these stages are banned for a reason. And even when this event does happen in the north east and west, those gay rules will still apply.

HipHopSpam

Smash Apprentice
Its not just Smash all events are single elimination also, unless your pro its highly unlikely that you'd win anything so it just means more time for friendlies for you plus south is free if you had to pay to get in it might be more outrageous but you don't its free.
traveling isn't free...atleast not anymore. Back in my day, we'd take the bus to Morganville (Which is what we used to call Shelbyville). At that time there was a picture of a bumble bee on the nickle. We'd say "give me 5 bees for a quarter."

-abe simpson, the most underrated character on the show

TheCatPhysician

Smash Ace
Single elimination...if that's what they're doing on the finals, I still really appreciate that Evo is taking Smash in but I don't think I want to go to this anymore. I understand it's hard to schedule in Smash with all the other tournaments, so I think I'd rather just go to another big Smash tournament. Unless the single elimination is only for the South Event.

forward

Smash Champion
its single elim b/c this is run by SRK not the kishes, they could care less how many matches people who suck play.

i like it better, its a tournament, not an endurance contest or happy noob fun time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom