• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Evo 2kXV Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bribery

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bribery
3DS FC
3626-0596-6286
That was kind of disheartening lol. That was some beautiful Toon Link play...only to get cheesed out by Helicopter Kick.

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
I can't respect Dapuffster for that. That was a Toon Link player and GIRL and yet another loser to linear minded, custom jank.

Last edited:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Helicopter Kick is ridiculous. That and HSB are the only customs I do not like.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Oy. Hard luck, @Artemis.

Wonderful game, though. Fluid as I've ever seen Toon Link play~

I can't respect Dapuffster for that. That was a Toon Link player and

GIRL

and yet another loser to linear minded, custom jank.
I...don't think that has anything to do with it, my dear.

Last edited:

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
For what it's worth it was a really well pulled-off helicopter kick and the customs game with TL was on point.

hypersonicJD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
I don't have
3DS FC
2122-7467-7267
Dat Toon Link girl was really really really salty. My god :O But who wouldn't be pissed if you got killed so early by Mii Brawler?

Last edited:

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
i missed a lot of pools, has trinen showed up yet? was he knocked out of pools?
He had to cancel and isn't going.

To be fair, standard play of literally any relatively-unseen character can seem impressive due to the simple fact that no one knows what counts as standard for them.
Remember when we first started seeing Luigis winning tournaments, and his Dthrow combos were the hypest things ever at the time?

Ikes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smooth_Moonman
If that's a good toon link player, it makes me feel better about my own toon link play since it doesnt look much different from that (albeit i definitely use my rangs a bit more in conjunction with bombs/fire arrows due to the setups)

too bad about that Helicopter Kick jank, was hoping to see Artemis play outside of pools...

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Smash 4 EVO has a lot of character variety, and i love this. Seeing characters like Zelda, Link, Charizard, Meta Knight, R.O.B. at EVO is awesome.
its still pools. top 32 will still be the standard stuff.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
There is no Top 32. It's Pools Round 2 ("Quarter Finals"), Pools Round 3 ("Semifinals"), and Finals (Top 4).

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
As much as i do not like Toon Link, Artemis played very well and i respect her, alot. It's just a shame that Helicopter Kick pretty much said "NO" and did not let her win. Seriously, that move is jank.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
I can't respect Dapuffster for that. That was a Toon Link player and GIRL and yet another loser to linear minded, custom jank.
Yeah, I can't let that one go. The sex/gender of your opponent should not in any way affect your play. He respected his opponent and did what it took to win. Not to make it personal, but really... be better than that.

On topic:
Whoever is lining up matches for stream has done a fantastic job. Quality of play has generally been good, but the character diversity has been on point making a statement on one of the major benefits of the custom metagame.

DailyDose

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0490-5872-8349
If nothing else that Toon Link match just helps confirm tiers. Mii Brawler took that last stock by doing literally nothing but Dthrow Helicopter Kick

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
@Artemis is playing pretty impressive, I'm kind of surprised.
She really was, although I can't tell if she has experience against Brawler, especially at Puffster's level. Does this reinforce @Gheb_01 's theory that TL is kinda bad though? All that work, and then a hard time killing. Whereas Brawler just looked for opportunities to get a Helicopter Kick (though there was definitely smart play there)

thehard

Smash Lord
NNID
Barbecutie
I like Artemis a lot but she has projectiles, shouldn't be getting grabbed that much

Appledees

Smash Apprentice
Another Mega Man gone.
What mega players even got far at all

I'm honestly expecting every Mega player to just get eliminated off the bat i'm really starting to lose hope here

Oh well the Greninja play atm is pretty awesome

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Another Mega Man gone.
At least the Kong cyclone didn't seem that janky at all.
I actually love watching Kong Cyclone.

You can throw out some truly dirty tricks with it if you're clever, though you can't muscle your way through with it. It's just a very effective tool and exceptionally fun when done well~

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
She really was, although I can't tell if she has experience against Brawler, especially at Puffster's level. Does this reinforce @Gheb_01 's theory that TL is kinda bad though? All that work, and then a hard time killing. Whereas Brawler just looked for opportunities to get a Helicopter Kick (though there was definitely smart play there)
I don't know about bad. Plenty of characters have to work for kills. TL seems to be a little more custom reliant to have to work for it though. Mii Brawler just has more reliable set ups.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I actually love watching Kong Cyclone.

You can throw out some truly dirty tricks with it if you're clever, though you can't muscle your way through with it. It's just a very effective tool and exceptionally fun when done well~
I must be watching different custom DKs then.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I must be watching different custom DKs then.
Maybe? :3

I've never had an issue with it, and there's a guy in our scene that routinely rustles jimmies with it. It's far and away better than anything else DK has at his disposal, but I don't think there's anything abjectly jank about it.

D

Deleted member

aMSa bringing it back against the early Rocketbarrel Attack KOs, props to him.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
That was clutch, had me at the edge of my seat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom