• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Evo 2kXV Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Well I guess there's a silver lining in all of this.

Didn't ZeRo say he would retire Smash 4 to focus on Melee if he won EVO?

At least the meta can evolve without him for a change.
That's actually the worst mentality. He's leaving because he's too good. I hate it when people say **** like this for any game, or any sport.

"Diddy is just high tier now" they said. "Sheik is the best character" they said! Ahahahaha!
Sheik is the best character. ZeRo is the best player.

Last edited:

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Let it be known that Diddy's frame data is horrid.

Let it be known that ZeRo won because of near character mastery, powerful mind-games (playing the player), and powerful innovation unseen in even HIS Diddy ever before.

ZarroTsu

Smash Journeyman
Sheik is excellent in advantage, but appears to be thumbscrews when she can't actually get in. I think this final round vs ZeRo showcased the problems with recent Sheik nerfs: They were all made in the wrong places.

Mr. R adapted excellently, and that last stock was incredible -- but Diddy lived to 150 and it was just... ick. It probably would have gone to time, and maybe Mr. R should have let it, at that point?

I'm more mortified by Sheik's personal imbalance than anything. This was a match between a now well-rounded character, and an "S Tier".

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Needless to say, ZeRo nearly lost several times, but Nairo missed the punishes (thanks Sakurai), and shomehow Powershielded every punish attempt by Mr. R.

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
Results with Characters
1st. ZeRo :4sheik:/:4diddy:
2nd. Mr R :4sheik:
3rd. Nairo :4zss:
4th. Abadango :4wario2:/:4pacman:/:rosalina:
5th. Dabuz :rosalina:/:4olimar:
5th. Ally :4mario:/:4marth:
7th. ESAM :4pikachu:
7th. FOW :4ness:
9th. Larry Lurr :4sheik:/:4fox:
9th. Rain :4sheik:
9th. SS :4villagerf:
9th. Static Manny :4sonic:
13th. False :4sheik:(maybe :4luigi:)
13th. DaPuffster :4miibrawl:
13th. Regi:4gaw:
13th. Mocha :4sonic:
17th. 8bitman :4rob:
17th. John Numbers :4wiifit:
17th. Salem/Tyrant (lol double DQ) :4metaknight:
17th. MJG :4villagerf:
17th. Angel Cortez :4diddy:
17th. Bloodcross :4charizard:/:4fox:
17th. CaptAwesum :4villagerf:
25th. Trevonte :4sheik:/:4palutena:
25th. Shaky :4ness:
25th. Salem/Tyrant (both DQ'd) :4sheik:
25th. Mr. Con Con :4luigi:
25th. Falln :rosalina:
25th. Vinnie :4sheik:
25th. Christian Rendon :4wiifit: (i think?)
25th. Tweek :4bowserjr:

x8 :4sheik:
x3 :rosalina::4villagerf:
x2 :4wiifit::4zss::4diddy::4ness::4fox::4sonic:
x1 :4pacman::4wario2::4luigi::4rob::4olimar::4mario::4marth::4pikachu::4miibrawl::4gaw::4metaknight::4charizard::4palutena::4bowserjr:

Last edited:

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
That's actually the worst mentality. He's leaving because he's too good. I hate it when people say **** like this for any game, or any sport.
I don't care about who's good, who's bad or who's placing the highest. What I am okay with is ZeRo taking a time out to focus on other venues and let other players have more of a leading influence of the ongoing meta. The same way Ken left Melee for a bit and saw the scene developing before he returned, the same way I'm okay with this.

No he said he would just focus on Melee more.
Right. Makes sense.

I don't blame him. Even as a top professional, he probably wants to challenge himself more. The consistent streak he's had is unparalleled and I don't blame him for some insane pressure he must have felt. Shifting gears for a while will leave him a pretty good legacy.

Last edited:

⑨ball

Smash Ace
Great tournament. For all the complaints about customs building up towards it, all we saw was great players making good use out of specials like they would any other day, and abuse getting destroyed by adaption.

Can we file customs jank under the same list as Brawl recoveries and multiple airdodges now?

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Wait... Was Ito even in the tournament or did he drown in pools? I could have sworn his name was on the bracket. Maybe he pulled out like M2K for health, personal, whatever reasons.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Wait... Was Ito even in the tournament or did he drown in pools? I could have sworn his name was on the bracket. Maybe he pulled out like M2K for health, personal, whatever reasons.
I'm guessing he lost to Tyrant in the ditto and lost somewhere else, or he didn't show up.

BSP

Smash Legend
Results with Characters
1st. ZeRo :4sheik:/:4diddy:
2nd. Mr R :4sheik:
3rd. Nairo :4zss:
4th. Abadango :4wario2:/:4pacman:/:rosalina:
5th. Dabuz :rosalina:/:4olimar:
5th. Ally :4mario:/:4marth:
7th. ESAM :4pikachu:
7th. FOW :4ness:
9th. Larry Lurr :4sheik:/:4fox:
9th. Rain :4sheik:
9th. SS :4sheik: (I think?)
9th. Static Manny :4sonic:
13th. False :4sheik:(maybe :4luigi:)
13th. DaPuffster :4miibrawl:
13th. Regi:4gaw:
13th. Mocha (:substitute:)
17th. 8bitman :4rob:
17th. John Numbers :4wiifit:
17th. Salem/Tyrant (lol double DQ) :4metaknight:
17th. MJG :4villagerf:
17th. Angel Cortez :4diddy:
17th. Bloodcross :substitute:
17th. CaptAwesum :4villagerf:
25th. Trevonte :4sheik:
25th. Shaky :4ness:
25th. Salem/Tyrant (both DQ'd) :4zss:
25th. Mr. Con Con :4luigi:
25th. Falln :rosalina:
25th. Vinnie :4sheik:
25th. Christian Rendon :4wiifit: (i think?)

8 Sheiks, 2 Rosalinas, Diddies, Nesses, WFTs, Villagers, ZSSes.
I don't think Ally's marth won him any sets, but I could be wrong.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Well done to ZeRo. It's a damn shame Nairo didn't make it to grand finals this time, but it was a fine tourney overall and kudos to all the players for a damn good time!

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
Congratulations to @ChileZeRo for winning his first Smash 4 EVO tournament.
Hot dang, that dude was just on fire from start to finish. Just never letting up. :starman:

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Let it be known that Diddy's frame data is horrid.

Let it be known that ZeRo won because of near character mastery, powerful mind-games (playing the player), and powerful innovation unseen in even HIS Diddy ever before.
I didn't know that a character that has:
  • 5 aerials that all autocancel and have an average start time of 8 frames (note that one of them has a start time of double that which drags the average time down over 2)
  • two smashes that come out as fast as most characters' grabs (and another which ties with or beats most tether grabs)
  • a frame 4 DTilt that combos into everything
had bad frame data.

Not to detract from ZeRo's win (it was perfectly valid), but Diddy's frame data is good. End lag is mediocre at times but that can be mitigated by staying close to the ground in neutral.

Last edited:

Rashyboy05

Your Average Touhou fan~
3DS FC
4570-8659-2698
Warning Received
Exploding Villagers and Airbending Dongs taking over EVO 2K15? Not what I'm seeing at all!

Seriously, this tournament basically proves that customs aren't broken at all. Everyone getting scared that EVO would be boring due to customs are proven wrong since this was, imo, the hypest tournament Smash4 ever had so far.

Also, **** shofu, everytime I read his posts on Twitter. It's just him john-ing about costums.

Last edited by a moderator:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Funny how Ally's Marth didn't land a tipper Fsmash but he was consistently hitting with it. If it were Lucina he maybe could've get him (although he wouldn't be able to take the stock at 60% as he did there).

btw, apparently Mocha is a Sonic.

Last edited:

J0A0B

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0044-2975-0850
Say all you want about the diversity, but it didn't seem that way in the top 8. Any characters we didn't expect much of such as Wario, Marth, and even Olimar were clearly outplayed by the obviously stronger characters. Abadango's Wario did pretty awesome, but the results against Sheik still hold against him.

I don't believe in the Diddy/Sheik matchup either. Personal opinion, but it seemed like ZeRo wanted to fool everyone into thinking Sheik needs no nerfs by using his other best character, Diddy, to exploit his knowledge of Sheik's playstyle to his advantage by reading all the signs he's familiar with. This doesn't excuse the fact the Sheik conquered the majority of characters and has placed two of herself in the top 8.

At this point, competitive Sm4sh is dead to me. It was fun while it lasted, but now that's its confirmed IMPOSSIBLE to beat ZeRo in any tournament, even with cheap customs on, I can no longer believe there is hope for anything in this game.

I vowed that if ZeRo won Evo, I'd quit online, knowing it'll now be even more flooded with top tier characters like Sheik, Diddy, or any other characters that are generally high in mobility. If no one can take a round against that guy, then I know I clearly have no chance of ever getting good at this game no matter how I try. Sure I can beat plenty of those Falcons and Sheiks on my own, but it gets annoying real fast when that's all there is to face and there isn't much chance of improvement against them with all their multiple tools. It's not like anyone's gonna find another former low-tier turned top like Luigi anytime soon. It's gonna be a disastrous mess and I want no part of it.

Sorry for the negative hissy fit, but it's really discouraging when you see one player win so one-sidedly against nearly all the great competitors worldwide.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
So Tyrant is the better MetaKnight or Ito sucks at Dittos?
Probably sucks at dittos. There's like only 3 notable Meta Knights and they live fairly far apart from each other. Max Ketchum MM ditto'd and beat Fatality's Captain Falcon, but considering Fatality's hyper-aggressive play style and need to style, it wasn't surprising he lost and didn't really place well at EVO.

Can anyone confirm MJG and Mocha's characters? Also who did Salem use in pools?
Salem used ZSS from what I remember. He is known for using Sheik and Villager, but decided to go back to his Brawl main.

Ito entered twice, that was the entry he didn't compete using.
What was his real tag and shouldn't the unused one be removed from the bracket?

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
He lost to Tyrant in a MK ditto I heard

EDIT: way late lol

Did Abadango win any sets due to Rosalina?
Against StaticManny and True Blue in QFs.

Last edited:

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
Probably sucks at dittos. There's like only 3 notable Meta Knights and they live fairly far apart from each other. Max Ketchum MM ditto'd and beat Fatality's Captain Falcon, but considering Fatality's hyper-aggressive play style and need to style, it wasn't surprising he lost and didn't really place well at EVO.

Salem used ZSS from what I remember. He is known for using Sheik and Villager, but decided to go back to his Brawl main.

What was his real tag and shouldn't the unused one be removed from the bracket?
From what I can see Salem used Sheik at least yesterday, may also have used ZSS. Ito's real tag was just Ito, he's in QF pool 39 from memory.

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
To be fair Mr.R could have took ZeRo to at least Game 4, when diddy was charging his up-b in game 3. He just let him get back to the stage for free.

Zelder

Smash Journeyman
Say all you want about the diversity, but it didn't seem that way in the top 8. Any characters we didn't expect much of such as Wario, Marth, and even Olimar were clearly outplayed by the obviously stronger characters. Abadango's Wario did pretty awesome, but the results against Sheik still hold against him.

I don't believe in the Diddy/Sheik matchup either. Personal opinion, but it seemed like ZeRo wanted to fool everyone into thinking Sheik needs no nerfs by using his other best character, Diddy, to exploit his knowledge of Sheik's playstyle to his advantage by reading all the signs he's familiar with. This doesn't excuse the fact the Sheik conquered the majority of characters and has placed two of herself in the top 8.

At this point, competitive Sm4sh is dead to me. It was fun while it lasted, but now that's its confirmed IMPOSSIBLE to beat ZeRo in any tournament, even with cheap customs on, I can no longer believe there is hope for anything in this game.

I vowed that if ZeRo won Evo, I'd quit online, knowing it'll now be even more flooded with top tier characters like Sheik, Diddy, or any other characters that are generally high in mobility. If no one can take a round against that guy, then I know I clearly have no chance of ever getting good at this game no matter how I try. Sure I can beat plenty of those Falcons and Sheiks on my own, but it gets annoying real fast when that's all there is to face and there isn't much chance of improvement against them with all their multiple tools. It's not like anyone's gonna find another former low-tier turned top like Luigi anytime soon. It's gonna be a disastrous mess and I want no part of it.

Sorry for the negative hissy fit, but it's really discouraging when you see one player win so one-sidedly against nearly all the great competitors worldwide.
Sorry that the best player won the tournament, but this post is insanely embarrassing. If you're the kind of person who gets discouraged when one dominant player wins most of the tournaments in the first year of the game (which is not unusual for fighting games, see Melee or Brawl or MVC3), then you were never going to be a great player.

Last edited:

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Well, now that Smash 4 has finished its biggest tournament for at least another year, all that's left is to see whether or not it has enough staying power to last for another one.

NotLiquid

Smash Lord

I wasn't aware we're still living in a timeline where Ken is the undisputed champion of Melee

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom