• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Evo 2k8 Brawl Finals

Drunken_Dragon

Smash Journeyman
Ken was waaaay too unsafe and both were pretty predictable. there should be a counter on screen for the number of times he ran into lasers from off stage robot (ruining his edge game) and for number of successful dodge-dsmashes. Wasted final smashes and bumpers that could have screwed CPUs recovery/got free KOs hurt ken's game way too much.

good match anyway, item use was pretty good, cpu was pretty predictable but that really didn't change much, recovery again, predictable but on point. Ken would've won had it not been for the lack of punishment. effective FS did some damage, but not the 3 or 4 stocks worth as it would've been with marth.

Marth vs Robot = Feilong vs O sagat. stop running into things until you have a real chance to be offensive. (that being off stage game with marth) but still, if you run into the opponents one offensive recourse to that.. there's not much you can do. It's not like lasers during recovery are a tiger upper or anything.

buuutt.. whatever, all opinions. have fun with this thread.

BEES

Smash Lord
I did not see the items conveying any particular advantage to CPU. He played it smart when they were and were not present. It was a close match. He probably could've won the match had there been no items.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
I did not see the items conveying any particular advantage to CPU. He played it smart when they were and were not present. It was a close match. He probably could've won the match had there been no items.
CPU "played it smart" by item-camping and using items better then Ken. If you didn't notice, Ken was ****** CPU until the items showed. If this were a non-item tourny, CPU may have been two stocked.

MorpheusVGX

Smash Journeyman
I just saw the matches again.. and I confirm this.. "There are no worst blinds than those who don't want to see" (I don't know if I translated it well). You hate Items.. CPU used them well and you want to take away all of his credit as a complete brawler. But it is just crap! BU_HIT .. CPU played well with and without items. He was smarter at item play. He was able to fight Ken hand to hand and when items were present he got the best of them and avoided more of them. He was better and he proved it winning all three matches. That's just the truth.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
I just saw the matches again.. and I confirm this.. "There are no worst blinds than those who don't want to see" (I don't know if I translated it well). You hate Items.. CPU used them well and you want to take away all of his credit as a complete brawler. But it is just crap! BU_HIT .. CPU played well with and without items. He was smarter at item play. He was able to fight Ken hand to hand and when items were present he got the best of them and avoided more of them. He was better and he proved it winning all three matches. That's just the truth.
Duh? Most people here hate items (reasons already known).

And CPU won 2 out of 3 matches. He played smarter then Ken by using the items better and not taking him on normally when the chance arised (since Ken would **** him without items).

AlexX

Smash Ace
As much as I support Items Standard Play, these videos show why a good amount of items should never be seen in competative play. Yeah, CPU knew how to use a lot of the items effectively, but a lot of the time it was because he got the better ones before Ken. The Smash Ball especially had a pretty huge effect on both players, usually resulting in an easy stock loss for the one who didn't get it at relatively no risk to the one who did.

polarity

Smash Apprentice
It was obvious that CPU plays with items on a regular basis, and he relied on them as a means to win.
Wow so you're saying the guy with more experience and skill at the rule set they used won? Well **** me, that's awful!

GenericKen

Smash Cadet
Forget items-on:
-Skyworld lost Ken that set, not items. How that stage went unbanned is amazing.
-The commentators are what's infuriating, not the fact that Ken lost. Their lack of basic knowledge for the game exemplifies Evo's contempt for this community.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
-The commentators are what's infuriating, not the fact that Ken lost. Their lack of basic knowledge for the game exemplifies Evo's contempt for this community.
That and people in this thread think Ken is good at brawl. Somebody who practiced ONE DAY won against him. He doesn't play seriously yet he still placed higher than anybody posting on SRK.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
Ken's decent. FAR from the greatest Marh though.

CPU practiced with the item ruleset. Ken didn't. That was his only advantage. And unfortunantely, that's all he needed....

Any1 know if CPU is entering other tournaments?

Justblaze647

Smash Lord
Running for my life in the forests of Eelong
Any1 know if CPU is entering other tournaments?
I should hope not. I'm pretty sure that he's just made himself a target in the Smash community. Not just for defeating Ken, but for doing so at that bull**** tourney. I also don't think he'll place even half as well without smashballs to cover his mistakes.

... or maybe its just me...

kirbstir

Smash Lord
At least the videos were funny. 10+ for the commentators who were trying to hard to make the matches exciting. And seriously, a grand finals that is only 2/3?

Although it was rather obvious who they were rooting for, and what rule-set they masturbate to.

One question for the pro-Evo folk in this thread - why do you guys have a "holier-than-thou" attitude about rule-sets when removing only "some" of the items is basically the same thing as removing all items (that is, "changing the game")?

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
Wow what a stupid set. It makes me sick that someone playing as scrubby as CPU can still win because of those smashballs. Oh well, EVO had like 120 entrants whereas Axis had 303. Speaks for itself.

Nothing personal to CPU though, it wasn't his idea to turn Smashballs on.

Even with items on the better player miiight win. But with Smashballs on, it realllyy could be anyone.

Nasanieru

Smash Journeyman
I don't know what to say, EVO hosts tournaments for some of the most competitive fighters and (I'm assuming) they have full knowledge of the competitive nature of fighting games in general. Yet they allow game breaking elements that negate the need of skill and mastery of competitive play and replace it with sheer luck. . .very disappointing to say the least.

I'm not saying that CPU is a total scrub, because even with items skill would be needed to advance that far, but whenever items WEREN'T present on screen he was getting beat left and right. Most of his kills came from unlucky SDs from Ken and smashballs.

I personally think that the EVO staff was split on the decision of whether or not to include items in their ruleset so they are using their first hit at Brawl as an experiment.

AnimeSnoopy

Smash Cadet
Lol. CPU won the set fair and square, give the kid a break. "Ken deserved to win." Yeah, nice tourney sportmanship from the smash community there. " CPU only won because items were on." Maybe, but that doesn't equate to CPU being worse than Ken. It equates to CPU being worse than Ken in close quarters combat.

CPU knew what he was doing with the items. Rumor has it that in the first set (the one not on youtube.) CPU broke the smashball by ricocheting his laser off the ground. He tried it in the third match on youtube if you pay attention.

Why are you judging an item tournament from the prospective of a traditional tournament? Items were not "interferences" because they were allowed. A factor that is allowed is not an interference. Stop acting like the victory was Ken's by right, just because of his reputation. Ken was poor at item control. (picking up a hammer against ROB? wth? Throwing useful items away without using them. He didn't wait for an opening to use his Final Smash, causing him to miss multiple times, etc.)

I'm not saying make items the standard, there is not enough data on Item-tournament play to make that call, but I wouldn't mind seeing some more experimental Item-tournies opening up as a separate format for brawl.

Most of the people here have probably never even been to a tournament with a custom item-set like 2k8 to even know what it's like. So don't pretend like you know a format that you've never experienced. Evaluate longer before making a final decision.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Lol. CPU won the set fair and square, give the kid a break. "Ken deserved to win." Yeah, nice tourney sportmanship from the smash community there. " CPU only won because items were on." Maybe, but that doesn't equate to CPU being worse than Ken. It equates to CPU being worse than Ken in close quarters combat.

CPU knew what he was doing with the items. Rumor has it that in the first set "the one not on youtube." CPU broke the smashball by ricocheting his laser off the ground. He tried it in the third match on youtube if you pay attention.

Why are you judging an item tournament from the prospective of a traditional tournament? Items were not "interferences" because they were allowed. A factor that is allowed is not an interference. Stop acting like the victory was Ken's by right, just because of his reputation. Ken was poor at item control. (picking up a hammer against ROB? wth? Throwing useful items away without using them. He didn't wait for an opening to use his Final Smash, causing him to miss multiple times, etc.)

I'm not saying make items the standard, there is not enough data on Item-tournament play to make that call, but I wouldn't mind seeing some more experimental Item-tournies opening up as a separate format for brawl.

Most of the people here have probably never even been to a tournament with a custom item-set like 2k8 to even know what it's like. So don't pretend like you know a format that you've never experienced. Evaluate longer before making a final decision.
People did it for a while with Melee, and it was a relatively small community at the time.

With Brawl, everyone's been trying new things immediately. We have the data; not a whole lot has changed with items in respect to Melee.

TokXilChaos

Smash Rookie
At everyone:

You guys need to stop bashing CPU. It wasn't his choice to put items on, it was the tournament organizers. Whether he plays with them or not during practice is his choice.

It's pretty clear to me that Ken has a higher skill level, but the items (especially Smash Balls) screwed him over. CPU seems good, but not incredible.

That's just my opinion. If you're gonna bash anyone, bash the commentators, they pissed me off considering they know practically nothing about SSBB....

HoChiMinhTrail

Smash Master

CPU knew what he was doing with the items. Rumor has it that in the first set (the one not on youtube.) CPU broke the smashball by ricocheting his laser off the ground. He tried it in the third match on youtube if you pay attention.

god can noobs like this kid please stfu.... thx....

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
Wow, as much as I don't like items give CPU a break. He didn't make the tourney with all items on like you guys hate.

Besides, let SRK have their item on tournies, it isn't hurting us. Just let it go guys. Besides we could all be playing Melee instead. :)

SerpentxTongue666

Smash Rookie

im cpus brother and to clear up **** ya he got da smash ball by firing a laser across da stage haha

my bro practiced with items! he didnt want items but we decided to practice with em neways cuz thats how u win an item tourney...with ****in items! its dumb and doesnt require an immense amount of skill n dats y he won. my bros good but not ken good. im personally much better than him but y did i place 9th? cuz of ****ing items! so all in all he won cuz of items..its obvious. but dont bash on his skill when u havent seen him play without items...he plays very differntly with items off...trust me.

Wrathful

Smash Apprentice
God I feel so bad for Ken XD "Ken was having a real hard time getting any smash balls against the incredibly intellegent 14 year old player" Because smash balls + campy rob totally = skill rite? Laaawwwlll. Evo is soo fail.

House M.D.

Smash Apprentice
just to clear some confusions of comments i've seen, items aren't bad because they change the tier list, they're bad because of randomness. also, contrary to the EVO organizers' expectations, they encourage campiness for certain characters.

AnimeSnoopy

Smash Cadet
You don't know what you've gotten yourself into, making the rest of us 08'ers look bad again.
People care that much about join-date without even personally knowing the person, or how good they are at smash? Childish Imo.

Just because I decided to join the boards in 08' doesn't mean I didn't know they existed and it doesn't mean I just started playing smash yesterday.

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
what makes it worse to watch is that this was !CPU!'s first tournament according to SMYN

D

Deleted member

so i skimmed the new posts in this thread and so far heres what i came across:

1.kens a bad brawl player apparently.

2.smash BAWLS and other various items appearing on-stage in your favor means you have more skill apparently.

3.ken didnt space apparently.

4.CPU had good spacing apparently.

5.items have never been tested in a tourny setting b4 apparently(coming from someone who says they played competitively for 7 yrs lol).

I've been playing smash competitively for 7 years.

6.final smashes apparently give everyone the same opportune advantage(especially in 1v1).

7.kens bad at brawl apparently.

Top Bottom