• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Evo 2013 Stream Cance--IS BACK

Bomber7

Smash Hero
What if we got played by nintendo and this was all for some bazaar publicity stunt just to show the world what kind of dedicated players and fans they have?

If so.... well played.

nessokman

Smash Lord
I still love how everyone was talking about how it screws nintendo to not permit the stream. Nintendo is out of touch, microsoft was ubntil fans whipped their arses :) Smash 4 will sell well regardless of what happens to a 11 year old game's tournament.

Anywho, now that it is back, i don't have to hear people whine, Sweet

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Now people are saying it was all planned so EVO would get free publicity from the major gaming sites.

TewnLeenk

Can pick up a boulder with relative ease
BRoomer
You should change the title to "Evo 2013 Stream Canceled. UPDATE: No it hasn't"

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
Look, now all those fake internet "boycotters" have an excuse to buy a WiiU and Smash 4 again.

Fafnir

Smash Apprentice
What if we got played by nintendo and this was all for some bazaar publicity stunt just to show the world what kind of dedicated players and fans they have?

If so.... well played.
Not really. The status quo is restored for the tournament itself, but the damage to Nintendo's reputation can't be completely recovered. They'll always have that little label of "The guys who tried to **** on Evo" hovering above them from now on.

007-jake

Smash Journeyman
Conspiracy?! Maybe they didn't want Melee streamed because they thought the other FGC members would be turned-off, but once we took action and started going to Nintendo, they were like oh shtttttt, pull the plug guys.

NightShadow6

Smash Journeyman
How many damn hurdles does this community have to go through to get what it wants?

(Edit:Nevermind this)

Zone

Smash Champion
Nintendo dash dances, as Smash community approaches Evo. Nintendo baits the sex kick and pivot grabs the smash community. chain grabs it to 68%, then tipper foward smashes us. But we said not and perfect DI'd that ****. Recovered with a sweet spot.

Combo'd Nintendo as the media cheers us on. Nintendo losing momentum, breaks out of our pressure.. then concedes victory to the smash community.

Too good to be true.

I will buy a Wii-U for this decision Nintendo.

Tags

Smash Cadet
You know what this whole thing reminds me of? You remember that scene in Final Fantasy 9 where "You're Not Alone" plays and Zidane (Smash community) is all like "IT'S OVER IT CAN'T BE REVERSED" But then his friends slowly come to help him out and eventually everything's alright.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Was there any official statement by Nintendo explaining why?

It's just standard policy. Melee wasn't singled out.

I hope you guys know how big of a risk EVO took publicly posting that it was Nintendo's fault that the stream couldn't go up. It's within their legal rights to do so, but generally companies don't look fondly on other organizations voluntarily giving them bad press. If this had gone poorly it could have made for some serious future repercussions for EVO. Nintendo could have made Smash an impossibility for EVO, other companies like Capcom could have viewed EVO as a loose cannon that was too likely to bring negative press, etc., etc., and EVO stuck its neck out for you guys.

As irrelevant as I feel EVO is to smash (and how stupid their contest was), that's something that should be remembered. EVO risked its reputation as a positive relationship with companies who make fighting games. Why do you think MLG didn't make a hubub about Brawl not being streamed? It's bad business.

ScubaF_ingSteve

I eat stickers all the time, dude!
NNID
ScubaSteve94
It's now in the past, the stream is back. Thank you to everyone who sent emails, tweeted, posted on facebook. I know I sent some strongly worded emails. Especially those who were civil about it. Explaining how we raised money for breast cancer, that we as a fanbase would move away from nintendo because of the way they treat their loyal customers, that it's not about stealing money from them but rather to all celebrate we love because of nintendo, etc. I think that our civil reaction really shows the strength of our community, I'm really glad we didn't resort (most) to "**** nintendo, **** this, I'm going to ***** at you instead of prove my case." You're all wonderful and I can't wait to make smash the most viewed stream at evo so they take smash as a whole seriously so we get representing without having to beg with money (for a good cause mind you).

Standard policy? In asking why Nintendo allowed melee to be streamed
We were vocal, we made it a point that we wanted to see it, we were civil, they listened. We just have to keep it up, being civil and vocal. They don't really have to say why, we got what we wanted, let us continue to be vocal.

Revven

FrankerZ
Do not forget what happened today, it wasn't JUST the Smash community that did this. It was EVERYBODY. The whole gaming community, the whole fighting game community; we're not separated from everybody else. We're together.

Never forget the outpour of so many people on Twitter supporting OUR community. If it wasn't for them, if it wasn't for everybody including us, this couldn't have been rectified.

This speaks volumes for the future of competitive Smash as a whole, not just Melee; ALL the games.

Zone

Smash Champion
It's just standard policy. Melee wasn't singled out.

I hope you guys know how big of a risk EVO took publicly posting that it was Nintendo's fault that the stream couldn't go up. It's within their legal rights to do so, but generally companies don't look fondly on other organizations voluntarily giving them bad press. If this had gone poorly it could have made for some serious future repercussions for EVO. Nintendo could have made Smash an impossibility for EVO, other companies like Capcom could have viewed EVO as a loose cannon that was too likely to bring negative press, etc., etc., and EVO stuck its neck out for you guys.

As irrelevant as I feel EVO is to smash (and how stupid their contest was), that's something that should be remembered. EVO risked its reputation as a positive relationship with companies who make fighting games. Why do you think MLG didn't make a hubub about Brawl not being streamed? It's bad business.

Do not agree and I think you are overthinking it.

They didn't STICK their neck out for us. They HAD to tell us they can't stream because they were told not to.

the after effect of that came from response. Evo has NOTHING to do with that angry mob, thus no blame can befall them. They simply had to relay the news of WHY they can't stream it. They never said anything negative of nintendo. The news was negative in of itself.

I do appreciate evo running us. and i appreciate their heart felt apology when they believed they couldn't stream us.

but it was NEVER their fault. therefore nintendo can't blame evo for bad press.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
I'll be completely real here: these have been some important hurdles, and I'm down for more. You give the smash community a bigger rock to block our path, we redfield that rock faster than ever.

We have no corporate love, and little sponsorship. And yet, we are stronger than many communities held by their sponsors ever could be. We cannot be broken, even by what had essentially created us. We are one.

BarDulL

Town Vampire
Defo not EVO's fault. Good **** to everyone who was involved in reaching out to Nintendo to make this happen. I honestly didn't believe it could be done ever since MLG 2004 days...I'm highly, highly impressed.

The_Guide

Smash Journeyman
Look, now all those fake internet "boycotters" have an excuse to buy a WiiU and Smash 4 again.
If they went through with this, I would have done the same. The reason I'm excited for smash 4 is because of how much bigger it looks like the smash community is going to get because of EVO and the new game. If it begins to appear that Nintendo won't allow smash streams for big tourneys to happen, that dream dies on the spot.

If it had gone down that way, I wouldn't be wasting a couple hundred dollars on a new smash game, when I can dedicate my focus to games that actually get support (i.e. Street Fighter). Please, don't belittle that decision.

Amida64

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, after everything this community has overcome, I believe it will bring a lot of hype, and make great commentary/ a great story. Non-smashers watching the stream will gain a lot of respect for this community. Maybe soon these games will not be looked at as childish games, I am really impressed, and I was ready to post in every link given, even though I am a brawl player, but got here a bit late.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Do not agree and I think you are overthinking it.

They didn't STICK their neck out for us. They HAD to tell us they can't stream because they were told not to.

the after effect of that came from response. Evo has NOTHING to do with that angry mob, thus no blame can befall them. They simply had to relay the news of WHY they can't stream it. They never said anything negative of nintendo. The news was negative in of itself.

I do appreciate evo running us. and i appreciate their heart felt apology when they believed they couldn't stream us.

but it was NEVER their fault. therefore nintendo can't blame evo for bad press.

Considering MLG got the same notice for Brawl and we weren't notified in a public way like this prior to the event that could cause a ****storm, I'd say EVO did.

MLG Sundance's response to no streaming Brawl at MLG Orlando:
"We of course know that the Smash community is just as excited as we are to follow the tournament and see who makes their mark on the biggest stage in gaming, and we're committed to doing everything we can to make our coverage of the tournament as comprehensive as possible. However, I'm sorry to say that we will not be able to have a live stream for Smash in Orlando this weekend. In order to stream something like this, we have to secure live streaming rights from the game's publisher. And despite our best efforts, we have not been able to get permission from Nintendo thus far. We kept the conversation going all the way down to the wire, in hopes that we'd get an 11th hour approval and could still stream the event, but unfortunately it didn’t happen.

I know this is disappointing news, and believe me – we don't like it either. There's just no way around it. A company of our size simply has to play by the rules. I know a lot of you guys have seen local Smash tournaments streamed online and are probably wondering why we can't just do the same thing. The answer is because we are a real company with real visibility and real things to lose. We can’t fly under the radar like a local tournament can (nor would we want to)."

MLG is way bigger than EVO will ever be, but EVO is still a sizeable occurrence. The "polite" thing to do would be to say nothing and continue to ask Nintendo "allow this please" until the event occurs and say "Eh, what can we do?".

The major difference is that EVO notified us as soon as they could and with time prior to the event.

MLG notified us right before the event and worked on our behalf behind the scenes but were unable to get any notice from Nintendo that gave them permission because MLG didn't set the stage for a temper tantrum. I know it doesn't seem like much, but Sundance's response and the timing of the response was very "professional". EVO's was personal.

The problem isn't someone "blaming EVO". It's the actual realization that EVO is a mouthpiece to an angry mob that, should they so desire, could be directed at whomever they choose.

Rocketpowerchill

Smash Ace
2013 in review
it started with apex, armada wins then "quits"
then melee got evo opportunity
trihex lent his energy to scar who "Killed" majin buu (Nintendo+Skullgirls)
We "Won" the drive with 90k
We got hype and many regionals/nationals/qualifiers took place
Mango and scar traveled to europe where he sought to fight armada in a best of 7 hype match
at first armada wasnt gonna do it
then mango made that ***** do it
armada was back again, but only for this final moment when he broke mangos shield with a stitch and pulled out another one on smashers intuiton
armada was done, no chance at evo
then at zenith, LeecountyscrazyLayton made his return at zenith
mango 3-1 hbox 2 sets and
"If I play like this at EVO it's a wrap
then 2weeks before evo many players got donation drives
most notably, armada
armada was questioned by many lesser, super salty smashers if this was repsectable
then some 83 year old smasher who mained fox from brazil hit with a massive 6k snipe getting armada and the likes of jman, redd, and a myriad of other smashers evo bound
that takes us to 7/9/13
3 days b4 evo
we thought it was put to bed
but then nintendo shatttt on smash communtiy disallowing EVO to stream melee
then trihex again jv 5 stocked nintendo claiming yoshis island wiiu was ass and they decided melee was back on stream
then dashizwiz won evo coming back from 2 sets in falco ditto with mango
Long Liv Melee

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I think we should be rewarded for defeating nintendo.

switch us and injustice's sunday finals slots

Zone

Smash Champion
Considering MLG got the same notice for Brawl and we weren't notified in a public way like this prior to the event that could cause a ****storm, I'd say EVO did.

MLG Sundance's response to no streaming Brawl at MLG Orlando:
"We of course know that the Smash community is just as excited as we are to follow the tournament and see who makes their mark on the biggest stage in gaming, and we're committed to doing everything we can to make our coverage of the tournament as comprehensive as possible. However, I'm sorry to say that we will not be able to have a live stream for Smash in Orlando this weekend. In order to stream something like this, we have to secure live streaming rights from the game's publisher. And despite our best efforts, we have not been able to get permission from Nintendo thus far. We kept the conversation going all the way down to the wire, in hopes that we'd get an 11th hour approval and could still stream the event, but unfortunately it didn’t happen.

I know this is disappointing news, and believe me – we don't like it either. There's just no way around it. A company of our size simply has to play by the rules. I know a lot of you guys have seen local Smash tournaments streamed online and are probably wondering why we can't just do the same thing. The answer is because we are a real company with real visibility and real things to lose. We can’t fly under the radar like a local tournament can (nor would we want to)."

MLG is way bigger than EVO will ever be, but EVO is still a sizeable occurrence. The "polite" thing to do would be to say nothing and continue to ask Nintendo "allow this please" until the event occurs and say "Eh, what can we do?".

The major difference is that EVO notified us as soon as they could and with time prior to the event.

MLG notified us right before the event and worked on our behalf behind the scenes but were unable to get any notice from Nintendo that gave them permission because MLG didn't set the stage for a temper tantrum. I know it doesn't seem like much, but Sundance's response and the timing of the response was very "professional". EVO's was personal.

The problem isn't someone "blaming EVO". It's the actual realization that EVO is a mouthpiece to an angry mob that, should they so desire, could be directed at whomever they choose.
I wasn't talking about MLG I was talking about EVO.

and no evo isn't an angry mouthpiece. You don't tell the mailman he can't deliver the TV to his customers, and get mad at the mailman when the customers get upset, because the mailman HAS to break the news.

It's not that difficult to understand how evo isn't to blame while it's also not holding us up on it's back like we're some kind of weight to be carried.

B!ggad

Smash Apprentice
This is amazing on MANY levels.

You can not possibly raise more awareness for how much we care about smash or competetive smash, and how many care than by what just happened. I watched the like hundred tweets per minute flooding in for hours.

At least we can be sure now they know this is/we are a huge deal (that's all I'm saying). You never REALLY knew how aware Nintendo was and this proves they hardly were. Now we finally know they definitely know.

Feels so huge to me.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I wasn't talking about MLG I was talking about EVO.

and no evo isn't an angry mouthpiece. You don't tell the mailman he can't deliver the TV to his customers, and get mad at the mailman when the customers get upset, because the mailman HAS to break the news.

It's not that difficult to understand how evo isn't to blame while it's also not holding us up on it's back like we're some kind of weight to be carried.

EVO isn't an angry mouthpiece it's a mouthpiece to an angr-

Nevermind. You don't get it.

BarDulL

Town Vampire
@ SUP3R Nah dude, they caved all right.

Evo announcers getting some smash commentary practice with Brawl. Hope it's still live by the time people click on this.

Edit: Actually, I think this is a past Evo?

http://www.twitch.tv/srkevo1?utm_campaign=live_embed_click&utm_source=www.eventhubs.com
I should've won that match against Peach...I was so salty after that tournament. Hopefully no competitive gaming events ever host "serious" item matches from this point forward...

OS you don't seem to get it so I'll keep it short and simple for you. Obviously EVO had to tell the Melee community about why they couldn't stream the Melee event. EVO didn't go to anyone else about what happened, other communities/individuals not directly affiliated with EVO did. Take your weird vendetta with EVO elsewhere please.

L3G1T

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1075-0861-7985
As B!ggad said, this is really big for the smash competitive scene. I feel like it unified the community even more, and at a great time, just three days before EVO. (Though hearing about this three days before the tournament was a bit unnerving.) Amazing job to all those who helped support and glad to be part of such an awesome community!

Zone

Smash Champion
EVO isn't an angry mouthpiece it's a mouthpiece to an angr-

Nevermind. You don't get it.
lol, nah you don't get it. you're focusing on one point, and I'm not focusing on that point clearly. I'm focusing on the fact that nintendo CAN'T blame evo for bad press. It would make them look stupid if they did.

Look how well that worked for Xbox one when they tried to blame their failure on the press "mis-representing" them.

anyways this is all irrelevant we can stream now. Good news for all.

You just come off as some sort of EVO employee trying to boost their image to the little guy. Look dude we appreciate the opportunity here.

We're not saying "haha, ya we don't care about EVO, now run our tournaments"

We obviously care, so I don't know what the deal is.

Top Bottom