• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

European Smash Board

Faith

Smash Apprentice
ok let's do that big talk that we need in order to do more than just a topic once a year...
I'm totally open for discussions, and I'm pretty sure all the important french community members are up for it aswell.
Of course, it should be melee and brawl representatives.
In France, that'd be at least : Blad, Achoral, Slhoka and I. We all can communicate easily in english and are motivated.
A date and time has to be set. I figured that a sunday night would be great, because we all have class or work the next day and we should be home on sunday night ^^.
how about the first sunday of december at 9pm ? (december 7th)
My only concern right now is WHERE to do that, we need a chatroom or something, msn sux...
Get an IRC channel.

Luma

Smash Lord
irc would be best imo

could somebody inform those guys who arent that active any more @ smashboards?

i would suggest, first every nation should discuss who should go to this "meeting", but i think the date is ok since its still enough time for it

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I don't think every nation needs to be present. One person for Germany, Austria + Swizerland would be more than enough. Same for scandinavian and benglish speaking countries.

Luma

Smash Lord
lol 1 for scandinavia? are you serious?
for example, tonberry is kind of a must for norway, but then there would be nobody for sweden which is a top2 country in europe
and since it would be better to have brawl and melee there, you def need at least 2

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Maybe. It's not what I meant though. My point is that you don't need people for each country...

Luma

Smash Lord
the only countries that could/should be representated with 1 person are the germanspeaking ones, since we all use the same board

but all the other countries need to have their own people

Tero.

Smash Champion
I would say at least two people per country, maximum like 4 for the "bigger" (in terms of smash) ones.

Also irc would be the best way to talk, let's say quakenet?

Darkscyther

Smash Cadet
I'm Swiss, but I can represent Italy aswell since I'm a moderator of the italian board. I might call Seretur/Dax if needed.

Blad01

Smash Lord
Wow, i was preparing the project alone, but i'm glad to see that so many people are ready to built it together ^^

Well, i propose the All Is Brawl Gaming Chatroom. It shows your flag, so it's easier to know where everyone come from. And there is hardly ever anyone there.

I propose 8:00 PM GMT (9:00 PM GMT +1). Would that be ok for you ? :)

Kone

Smash Master
I really dont understand what this "meeting" is about? in all honesty all countries know where smashboards are, its always ben here and if people wanted to communicate they can. Saying as theres a lack of tournaments and people generally posting threads then theres no need in a forum.

If you want greater discussion between countries then set up an IRC channel for european smashers. Sticky it on this forum and all the separate country forums.

The only real need for a meeting/s would be to co-ordinate future large european tournaments. I know someone will reply that theres always a tournament thread and that it should be done on that. However, I rarely see european tourney threads and get motivated to go to the tourney anymore. Maybe a IRC channel would be good for drumming up foreign interest in your tourney.

and why do german speaking countries need not have a rep each? country pride guys. Id hate to be bundled in with the US etc lol

Ed

Pep1to

Smash Journeyman
The problem is that you got to be a member there and i believe that many players aren't members.
But if they doesn't have a problem registering then its fine.

An IRC channel sounds better imo.

Izaw

Smash Ace
I'll be there :p. Sounds like a good idea

but i hope I can get a peace of making the EU brawl tier list in the future :p

Tero.

Smash Champion
I agree on IRC.
What about the date and time ?

Saturday 8pm ?

Slhoka

Smash Lord
I really dont understand what this "meeting" is about? in all honesty all countries know where smashboards are, its always ben here and if people wanted to communicate they can. Saying as theres a lack of tournaments and people generally posting threads then theres no need in a forum.

If you want greater discussion between countries then set up an IRC channel for european smashers. Sticky it on this forum and all the separate country forums.

The only real need for a meeting/s would be to co-ordinate future large european tournaments. I know someone will reply that theres always a tournament thread and that it should be done on that. However, I rarely see european tourney threads and get motivated to go to the tourney anymore. Maybe a IRC channel would be good for drumming up foreign interest in your tourney.
I totally agree with this.

Most people can find all the information they want on their own country's boards. Then why would they register and post on other boards, to have the same thing, in a language which isn't their mother tongue ? Most players wouldn't do that.
The only ones who would go on such boards are the ones who are really interested in foreign smash scenes, as well as tournament hosts. I pretty much means that if we have such european boards, the only ones who'll post there will be the ones who use smashboards.
So in the end, we would have a roughly equal amount of posts on bigger boards, and without a link to the US and others extra-european smash scenes. Let's admit for a second that we create those euro boards : all european smashboards users (and maybe a few more) post there. What the point of posting on smashboards, then ? Almost none. And if we don't post on smashboards anymore, the other smash scenes won't come on smashboards to see if we still exist.

So I don't think this is the right way to solve things.
To have a better organized community, I think we could just have a foreign section on every boards, and make sure that the most important members of every community knows where to find each boards.
I know such sections exist on the Nederlands and German boards, as well as the French ones. I tried to develop it for each country, and I wanted to add a presentation of every country's smash scene so the Frenchies could know it better (I already wrote Germany's description but at the moment I don't have enough time to do the others).
I think we should post tournaments topics on every boards like that, to make sure every community has an easy access to tournament informations.
In my opinion, it should be enough for european coordination.

Now, to have tighter links between the communities, I think a chat would be good. France and Germany have an IRC channel, and a euro one would be good too.
Using the DC++ hub would also be good in order to share videos after a tournament.

Tero.

Smash Champion
DC++ is mostly inactive, i quit using it long time ago.
Im all for IRC.

Tero.

Smash Champion
I would say Quakenet and #EuropeanSmash would be good.
I try to get some people in and register the channel.

There is also a webchat opportunity for people who don't have mIRC or any other client
http://webchat.quakenet.org/
Enter your nickname and #EuropeanSmash where it says "channel".

Tero.

Smash Champion
The channel is now there and registered, you can join whenever you want. Slhoka and some germans are allready there.

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
I'm open to discuss things, but what needs to be discussed? This topic (or the entire subforum) is as good a place as any.

Joanna Dark

Smash Ace
as slhoka said, no need for a new forum because it would be another failure. But we do need more communication, and it's up to us, motivated people, to advertise and make it easy for other smashers to communicate with foreign peers :)
so as I understood it, big european meeting on quakenet, channel #EuropeanSmash, on sunday 7th dec at 9pm?
what can we discuss? well, we need to agree on a way to make more communications happen ! that's all folks !

crewster

Smash Lord
Why don't we have round robins as europe but other tournys as country specific.

Joanna Dark

Smash Ace
if only a couple of countries get involved ino this, it won't matter.
every country has to be represented :
France
UK
Sweden
Norway
Finland
Austria
Germany
Italy
Switzerland
Netherlands
Ireland
Spain
what else? :p

Tero.

Smash Champion
I'm in for germany :) actually we're 3 countries in one :) (germany, austria, switzerland -> germanspeaking smash scene)

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
I'm still here, but what do you want from me exactly? Well, time for a rant...

Honestly, I doubt anyone is going to check on yet another board for smash. If you want foreigners to visit your tournament, don't be lazy and c/p your tournament to their forums. You can also ask people to help you out on MSN or whatever. There is a lack of communication, but more importantly, a lack of big international tournaments. What's there to communicate about really? Ever since Brawl came out we've all gone our separate ways for no reason whatsoever. Most countries still play Melee, even if their scene has gotten smaller, and in the Netherlands we have a relatively huge Brawl scene.

I also think some countries need to get their act together. Italy took a stance on MK without having actual real life tournaments, get to playing! The UK has plenty of Brawl players, but I keep hearing how there's only Melee. Are Melee players being ***** or are the Brawl people just looking at others to organise stuff? I don't know much about Scandinavia, as they've isolated themselves the most and many of them don't even bother to speak English. The German speaking countries are stepping it up in activity, but you have to realise you're a bit late to the party. I hardly ever see Spain represented, which is bad. France seems to be doing okay like the Netherlands and some Belgians are stepping it up. I don't mean to be a jerk here, but people should focus on their own scenes first.

As for international communication, Europe is doing badly on Smashboards. I'm one of few Europeans in the SBR and I'm currently one of the people leading it, which goes to show it's definitely possible to get in if you want to. Our level is greatly underestimated by the US, which is a shame. We can learn from them and they can learn from us. Don't neglect Smashboards, it's still the place to get in touch with other communities (European or other), we don't need another board for that. Many Melee vets have quit and it's up to new people to get things organised for the most part. Food for thought.

Fuzzyness

The Reality!
people just accept here that melee is the way to go, we don't hate brawl we just don't think it's as good. And we didn't force it on the brawl players

MakoMako

Smash Journeyman
I'm still here, but what do you want from me exactly? Well, time for a rant...

Honestly, I doubt anyone is going to check on yet another board for smash. If you want foreigners to visit your tournament, don't be lazy and c/p your tournament to their forums. You can also ask people to help you out on MSN or whatever. There is a lack of communication, but more importantly, a lack of big international tournaments. What's there to communicate about really? Ever since Brawl came out we've all gone our separate ways for no reason whatsoever. Most countries still play Melee, even if their scene has gotten smaller, and in the Netherlands we have a relatively huge Brawl scene.

I also think some countries need to get their act together. Italy took a stance on MK without having actual real life tournaments, get to playing! The UK has plenty of Brawl players, but I keep hearing how there's only Melee. Are Melee players being ***** or are the Brawl people just looking at others to organise stuff? I don't know much about Scandinavia, as they've isolated themselves the most and many of them don't even bother to speak English. The German speaking countries are stepping it up in activity, but you have to realise you're a bit late to the party. I hardly ever see Spain represented, which is bad. France seems to be doing okay like the Netherlands and some Belgians are stepping it up. I don't mean to be a jerk here, but people should focus on their own scenes first.

As for international communication, Europe is doing badly on Smashboards. I'm one of few Europeans in the SBR and I'm currently one of the people leading it, which goes to show it's definitely possible to get in if you want to. Our level is greatly underestimated by the US, which is a shame. We can learn from them and they can learn from us. Don't neglect Smashboards, it's still the place to get in touch with other communities (European or other), we don't need another board for that. Many Melee vets have quit and it's up to new people to get things organised for the most part. Food for thought.
I'm suprised you managed to notice this about the UK without actually being here, there are definately more brawl players but most of them are new so they dont talk much. The people that do talk are the melee players who say brawl sucks and blows, melee only tourneys plz, nah dont record the brawl matches cuz nobody cares, melee deserves more setups than brawl etc etc. I really can't see smash going anywhere seeing as London's rep is one those people too lol, I'm hoping for the future of Europe's smash scene that other countries aren't following this path or are at least more proactive than UK.

AmcD

Smash Ace
Then do something about it and stop whining. The melee players are not going to do anything for the brawl players we don't like the game.

Luma

Smash Lord
"many of them don't even bother to speak English"

rofl that would fit the most with you dutchies, i know a lot people who stopped visiting the european section because in every topic there is only dutch dutch dutch dutch dutch =P

Top Bottom