• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

European Smash Board

Tero.

Smash Champion
Hey Europe,

I'm the bearer of a message, actually its more of a question, from the german smash community.
We think Europe has been dependant on the US smash scene for long enough, it's long overdue for us to become more autonomous.

I'm fully aware that most of the communities have their own boards, but it's a fact that communication between most of the countries is at a minimum.

A european board would improve this by far, it would give us many advantages concerning both melee and brawl.

Edit: this new board should neither replace swf nor your own boards

Tonb3rry

Smash Ace
Some European guys spoke of this thing like two years ago, but they never did anything about it. I like the idea, though. Someone just have to take the initiative.

Blad01

Smash Lord
Some European guys spoke of this thing like two years ago, but they never did anything about it. I like the idea, though. Someone just have to take the initiative.
Well, i'm one of the two guys, and i'm still on the project (i was planning on employing two guys for it, but i've still to find them ^^).

But yes, some help would be welcome. I've already a lot of ideas on what should be done on these European Boards, i'm planning on writing something about it this week (tuesday or friday).

Just something that i would to point out : I really don't think this will ever replace SmashBoards for the Characters Boards, the tactical discussion, etc. It will be a lot more useful for keeping the european community together, organizing tournaments, compiling some tournaments datas, having an European "SBR", etc.

Well, more details on this later, i'm tired :p

Keyy

Smash Apprentice
Ehm, some remarks:

Good initiative, but shouldn't the new site aim to replace one of the existing boards (local or swf, latter not being realistic)? Going to three different boards for smash is kind of tedious. And also not very organized.

it's a fact that communication between most of the countries is at a minimum.
May be true, but we're all here on this section of swf, if communication doesn't happen here, I don't see why it will happen on a new website.

sincerely,
negative-nancy. :grin:

Requiem

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Ehm, some remarks:

Good initiative, but shouldn't the new site aim to replace one of the existing boards (local or swf, latter not being realistic)? Going to three different boards for smash is kind of tedious. And also not very organized.

May be true, but we're all here on this section of swf, if communication doesn't happen here, I don't see why it will happen on a new website.

sincerely,
negative-nancy. :grin:
the bold part is very true

Yomi-no-Kuni

Smash Lord
Because a "Section" isnt the same thing as a whole Board..
This section is not very well organized, and you cant really talk about anything but eventually upcoming tournaments...
in another board, you could also chat, and have the european com. grow closer together, wich will make more ppl WANTING to meet or play against other european players

I think it is worth a shot, and only the necessary support of countrys best organizers can lead this effort to success

edit: replacing Local boards is not going to happen because of the language barrier
also, it would attract less newcomers than a "french" board would (i doubt players would look for a "european" board rather than for a board of their own country
I mean, you could put alot of Subcategorys for the diffrent countrys, but then, why even bother if you already have your own boards? it would only make the european board less organized and more splitted...
We dont need every single member of each country, but some active and enthuiastic enough to spread words of tourneys and meetings and enable everybody to travel more throughout europe, or participate in europe-wide online tournaments (my thoughts about this board)

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
I support the idea of European Smashboards.

What Yomi-no-Kuni said is very true. There are regional boards existing for each country, however, due to the language barrier and the "lack of contact" to other European countries, all we have for our continent is these subboards on SWF. European Smashboards would be one of the little chances for the Europeans to become more united than each having their own boards (which still will exist, surely), and the rather chaotic SWF subboard, which is both an extreme (the one splitting for every country, the other mixing everything up together with no real control resulting in noone finding tourneys or people close to them).
Sure, there still will be the SWF-subboard be used, because SWF is the biggest Smash-community existing, and people rather register here than stumble upon Euroboards.
The country-specific boards still will be existing, because, well, they're country specific. You can speak about Smash and organize tournaments in your own language, and generally just talk about anything.
A European board would inform you about tournaments in your range - even if in another country - and Online tournaments for Europeans, generally, without drowning in the monstrous amount of single threads as SWF has.

However, neither here on SWF nor on the Regional boards, I'd have high chances of, for example, getting to know a Smasher from Spain or Sweden. That problem would disappear if we had a European board. We could get to know each other, and make a much tighter community than the Americans have. I think that's a great idea.

Keyy

Smash Apprentice
Don't get me wrong. I like this idea as an attempt to make the Europe scene more unified. And a euro website would make it more organized than this section.
Though, I doubt the board will be used a lot if it doesn't replace the local boards. You'd just pop in for the rare international tourney (which just as well can be promoted here on swf).
If the only advantage of a separate website for Europe, is basically a better organized version of this section on swf, why not just make work of organizing this section on swf? (making successful 'international' threads for a start..)

What I do understand is your reasoning that it would attract less people if it would replace the local websites. I'm not completely convinced it would turn out that way, but it could be.
A site like Eurogamer however does succeed in unifying gaming Europe...

My idea of ideal would be: a Euro Smash website with a forum split into a international section and different language sections. If it's done well organized, that can be a good thing: people will find those language specific sections if they're searching for one + they'd get interested in checking out the international section as well. If everything is on a different website... not so much.

I'm not too good at (and don't like) debating, so I'm gonna stop now. But just think about it.

J03

Smash Master
its obviously a good idea to have a thread like this, but they only use i can see for communication between countries would be for an international tournament which should have its own thread anyway.

other then that it could be used to propose ideas to unify europe by posting videos from every country to see where there at as well as discussing ideas for a tournament.

Sooo discuss xD

Luigi player

Smash Master
Well, i'm one of the two guys, and i'm still on the project (i was planning on employing two guys for it, but i've still to find them ^^).

But yes, some help would be welcome. I've already a lot of ideas on what should be done on these European Boards, i'm planning on writing something about it this week (tuesday or friday).

Just something that i would to point out : I really don't think this will ever replace SmashBoards for the Characters Boards, the tactical discussion, etc. It will be a lot more useful for keeping the european community together, organizing tournaments, compiling some tournaments datas, having an European "SBR", etc.

Well, more details on this later, i'm tired :p
Yeah, I think that too.

It would be great to have a european board.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Yo, I already PMed Blad about that b4 actually...I'm just waiting for it :)

Joanna Dark

Smash Ace
hmm, this idea has been around for years now, but now I think it's not necessary.
What I do think that is necessary though, it's more communications between countries in Europe. With this in mind, we have created several sections on the french board that can be used by foreigners to advertise on upcoming tournaments and for french people to be aware of them. We also want to fill these sections with informations and History of these community.
So far, we haven't done much with these new sections, but as I see this as an apportunity to make it work, I suggest every country does that.
Of course, we can still use Smashboard as a way, first, to get this started, and then, to communicate on tournaments to the Americans, and of course, to make all europeans that may come here in the future KNOW that communication between countries exists and is working well.
here is how it looks like on the french board :
http://www.cubeforum.fr/viewforum.php?f=39

Darkscyther

Smash Cadet
JD I think an official european board is more than just going into a foreign board in the foreign section advertising tournaments.
We don't have those section on the italian community, but someone (porc, jet, baxon.. ) came and gave their 2 cents somehow, especially in the tournament section. Anyway that's not enaugh.

I believe in this idea, so do the whole italian community. Tero if you need any help feel free to call me :) you know how to contact me.

Bullet Bill

Smash Master
If you ask me then it's not right to compare the communication between different countries in Europe to communication between states in America. For one thing we have different languages/ currency etc we also have very different smash communities. Like the UK for instance- very inactive brawl scene-unpopular, active but small melee scene, has a lot of threads on smashboards.
Netherlands- large brawl and melee community
etc

I agree with what JD said. We don't need to have another forum to improve communication, we just need to communicate :chuckle:

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
If you ask me then it's not right to compare the communication between different countries in Europe to communication between states in America. For one thing we have different languages/ currency etc we also have very different smash communities. Like the UK for instance- very inactive brawl scene-unpopular, active but small melee scene, has a lot of threads on smashboards.
Netherlands- large brawl and melee community
etc

I agree with what JD said. We don't need to have another forum to improve communication, we just need to communicate :chuckle:
Why do we have to compare the EU and the US in the first place? We don't want to make an EU smash site to become as close as possible to the US but to have a stronger community.

I think it's a good idea.

Staco

Smash Champion
Okay, I think I have to say sth. now, too.
I know I wrote a lot of **** at the m2k thread, and I rly know, that I failed and that I shouldnt have done this. =/

I like to look at allisbrawl and I know some european players from there.
And I sometimes look at swf, but I only look at the character forums of the characters I like, because there is no thread in the euro area, which I could post in.
Before some weeks there was a big online brawl tourney for european wifi players at AiB.
I met a lot of new good players, I never saw them before, most of them were from the french community.
To this time I asked myself, why there isnt sth. like an european boards, where the europeans can meet each other and talk about smash.
Gheb (I think he is moderator of the wolf boards) said, that he wants to get a bigger in-person community in europe and in germany.
Because of this I asked some people, why not making an european smashboards.
All the guys I asked liked the idea.
But the most of them didnt post at swf in the europe area, because for them there was nothing to post about.
So I posted the idea in the german boards and there was decided to start it.

If I look at the german board the people know each other after some time, they talk about the chars, play at wifi tourney and organisate in-person tourneys.
Its a big community, where you get to know all people.
At SWF the players mostly only know the people out of the boards of their chars.

That would be the difference between the euro board and the SWF, there arent so much players like at SWF, and after some time, you get to know the other players.
You will meet new people, which you are maybe going to meet in the future, because travling europe-wide is possible.
To travel to america is hard work only for meeting some smashers.

After some time there maybe will be crew battles like France vs. Germany (we thought about planing this for online brawl), which are a lot of fun.

And there are possibilities for more europea in-person tourneys.

Online brawl tourneys would be interesting, too. (playing europeans isnt as bad as playing americans)

I think between Europe and America is a difference like America and Japan, only that a lot of europeans like to look at the swf, which is mostly for americans.

And I think the european play another way like the americans, so it would be another talk (maybe more interesting than in swf for us) about the characters and other stuff. (example: the mk bann discussion, we talked about this at the german board, too, and there were very interesting results, but I didnt like to read all the thousands of posts in the threads at swf)

I hope the idea will work, because it would be an amazing invention for the european smash community.

At last we talked a little bit about organisation of this board at the german boards, and we came to the result, that the admins of the different competive smash boards of european countries should talk together about the organisation.
But first lets talk about the board itself, organisation is a part we have to do after this.

excuse me for my bad english, but I hope you can understand me :p

Bullet Bill:
"I agree with what JD said. We don't need to have another forum to improve communication, we just need to communicate"

the problem is: nobody starts communication (a lot of players dont know how to start communication with other european players), and a board like this would give the possibility to start the communication between all the european competive players

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I understood you very well but I'm not a moderator on the Wolf boards XD

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
This idea has been around for a while, but it takes people to get stuff done. Most countries have their own forum by now and everything seems to work well. Also, where did you get the idea we're dependent on the US? The Netherlands are completely autonomous.

One issue I agree with is that the communication between countries could be better. It basically depends on the connections of individuals currently. I suggest posting on other countries' boards if you want them to visit your tournaments, provide people with information.

I'm all for having more European content, but I think it's up to individual communities to educate themselves. We're split for the most part and have some pretty different ideas about rulesets etc. SWF also has a lot of information that is good regardless of region, our numbers can't match that. Having a European Back Room of some sorts might work, but I don't know who's up for that. Anyway, people can start with posting stuff in this subforum. We're tucked away, but we all know how to find this place.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Also, where did you get the idea we're dependent on the US? The Netherlands are completely autonomous.
What the OP meant with that statement was not that the countries are dependent on the US, but rather that the European Smashers are dependent on the American boards. While each bigger region in America has their own subboards, Europe does only have one big subboard, which makes everything a bit complicated.

Bullet Bill

Smash Master
What the OP meant with that statement was not that the countries are dependent on the US, but rather that the European Smashers are dependent on the American boards. While each bigger region in America has their own subboards, Europe does only have one big subboard, which makes everything a bit complicated.
Well if you consider there used to be no Europe section and instead an 'international' forum then it's not so bad, and imo smashboards is fine

Lawrencelot

Smash Lord
I think a euro boards is unnecessary. Most countries have their own forums, and if there is an international tournament posting it in this section is a good way of attracting foreign smashers. I do agree though that the interaction between countries can be a lot better. One thing I'd like to see is to have a sticky on this board that shows links to each European country's boards, because I have no idea how to find the Spanish boards for example (if they have one).

Luma

Smash Lord
we either go the full way, meaning we only use 1 board for everything (+ using swf to get americans to the tournaments)
or we can just talk about this for years, because like this, nothing really will ever happen

the problem is, most people dont wanna stop haveing their own board, so some countries might not come to the new board completly

why is that needed? quite simple imo, if you only go on 1 board for smash you are going to be more active there, if we build up an european board like suggested, it will be just another swf

what really needs to be done is imo get some important people together, let them have a chat for 1-2 hours and then we could start doing something, but this way it will never happen

Darkscyther

Smash Cadet
No one is saying we have to abandon our own boards to move into the new "european board" or that this is going to substitute swf. We are saying that to improve the communication between european countries (which exists but it's very small) we need an european board.
No one wants to advertise his big big tournament in say 10 different boards =/. We just need a board where european people is reunited and discuss like here about everything smash-related and not. The tournament advertisal will be easier and even organizing a big online tournament would be a piece of cake (like on aib if anyone is there).

VA

Smash Hero
I didn't even know countries has their own boards...i'm almost 100% UK doesn't otherwise we wouldn't really need a billion threads on the Europe section here (NeoEmpire doesn't count for **** imo). Either I'd like to see a sticky in Europe section linking me to countries respective boards or some kind of europe tournament discussion subforum on here. Personally I have never really communicated with the European community but I'm active as hell in the UK community (communication wise). I'd really like an easy way to do this which I suppose is a boards of some kind. I want to get to know europeans god dammit!

Staco

Smash Champion
I didn't even know countries has their own boards...i'm almost 100% UK doesn't otherwise we wouldn't really need a billion threads on the Europe section here (NeoEmpire doesn't count for **** imo). Either I'd like to see a sticky in Europe section linking me to countries respective boards or some kind of europe tournament discussion subforum on here. Personally I have never really communicated with the European community but I'm active as hell in the UK community (communication wise). I'd really like an easy way to do this which I suppose is a boards of some kind. I want to get to know europeans god dammit!
well said
the board isnt only for getting some tournaments or stuff like that
I want to know other europe players
example: I am a brawl player and I want to know other good brawl players and play against them and I want to know the best brawl players out of the different countries

VA

Smash Hero
Or, just sticky something where I can get to the other countries boards, I didn't know they existed?

Ryuker

Smash Lord
It's a nice idea but I don't like the thought of having to visit 4 boards and maybe even more a day.
I agree communication could be better but right now the amount of tournaments is so low that if there is a need for discussion between country's we can easily do it on smashboards. Character discussion should just be done on a country's own board or even better on the char discussion section of swf.

However we could ask this sites admin to make the europe section directly accesible on the index page of this forum. Then just expand this section with different subsections for each country. I myself am more in favor of moving more stuff to allisbrawl cause of the records it can contain and how tournaments and rankings are done there which safe a great deal of time. Even video's can be posted and sorted quite easily over there.

A europe backroom is a different story though and I support that in order to keep the discussions more serious and more professional.

Joanna Dark

Smash Ace
ok let's do that big talk that we need in order to do more than just a topic once a year...
I'm totally open for discussions, and I'm pretty sure all the important french community members are up for it aswell.
Of course, it should be melee and brawl representatives.
In France, that'd be at least : Blad, Achoral, Slhoka and I. We all can communicate easily in english and are motivated.
A date and time has to be set. I figured that a sunday night would be great, because we all have class or work the next day and we should be home on sunday night ^^.
how about the first sunday of december at 9pm ? (december 7th)
My only concern right now is WHERE to do that, we need a chatroom or something, msn sux...

Top Bottom