• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

European Smash Board

Deadeyedave

Smash Apprentice
I'll represent Ireland.

We've a tournament on in April 09, details in my sig.

Edit: On the topic of Melee VS Brawl, I personally prefer Melee, but I think that's completely irrelevant, the Wii is far far more successful than the Gamecube ever was, and vicariously I expect to attract more new Brawl players to the next tournament than new Melee ones.

To be honest, I probably know most of the Irish Melee players already through Smashboards. I'm not sure there ARE many new Melee players left to find here...

So to summarise; Brawl is the way to go to grow a community, in my opinion.

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
I'm suprised you managed to notice this about the UK without actually being here, there are definately more brawl players but most of them are new so they dont talk much. The people that do talk are the melee players who say brawl sucks and blows, melee only tourneys plz, nah dont record the brawl matches cuz nobody cares, melee deserves more setups than brawl etc etc. I really can't see smash going anywhere seeing as London's rep is one those people too lol, I'm hoping for the future of Europe's smash scene that other countries aren't following this path or are at least more proactive than UK.
Yeah, that's the idea I've been getting from talking to people and taking a look inside UK threads every now and then. No one is forcing Melee players to like Brawl, but it's still smash and working together can benefit both Melee and Brawl players. As a mod I've really tried to tone down vocal Melee players who had to post in every thread how much they hated Brawl and that's actually the official policy on Smashboards now. Those Melee players are the worst, because they hurt both the Brawl community and their own. I'm really hoping Fuzzyness will work on it in UK threads, even though he likes Melee better himself (so do I actually, it's just not relevant). Brawl players on the other hand should get more vocal and get things organised themselves, you can't expect to take over all Melee tournaments and not give something back. I'm hoping it'll get better over there.

"many of them don't even bother to speak English"

rofl that would fit the most with you dutchies, i know a lot people who stopped visiting the european section because in every topic there is only dutch dutch dutch dutch dutch =P
At least we can speak English if you want us to. ;p

Luma

Smash Lord
well for melee vs brawl, at least what i am seeing is, people who take melee as their mainevent mostly do have brawl singles aswell, brawl tournies mostly only have brawl

just my 2 cents

(i am not saying both games should be on all tournies, i prefer melee only and brawl only actually)

Deadeyedave

Smash Apprentice
For large established communities sure, I think single focus events are a good idea.

But from my perspective, there WAS no Irish Smash community before our first tournament in April this year, and now that we have the beginnings of one, I'm looking to grow it as much as I can.

I was planning on making a topic just about discussing new community growth, but this isn't the thread for that.

For now I think pushing a dual focus "Smash"event with the hope of snagging all the new Brawl players is one of the best ways to go about that.

Darkscyther

Smash Cadet
I'm going to represent Italy and the italian part of Switzerland, which is subscribed on the italian board.

Joanna Dark

Smash Ace
well well well, lots of good intentions in this thread, I hope it goes beyond this thread ^^.
Until next sunday 9pm (or even a bit before I might say XD), we can discuss like that, it's great !

@Marc -> I totally agree with you here. You summarised the european situation pretty well ! you're still much into the community and you MUST be there on sunday !

What are we going to talk about on sunday? well, just the way we're going to make more communication happen ! As you said Marc, no need for a new forum and we should embrace smashboards for what it is : a great basis. But it's clear we need a little more than smashboards. That's why most of us have one or more board that is country specific !
It's gonna take a lot of efforts everywhere in the community, because the only solution we got here, imo, is to link each other altogether the different europeans boards and smashboards + the european chatroom. make it become a big network ! Then in every community, we should advertise the need for international events, whether they are tournaments, melee or brawl, online/offline, or just know who is who in what community.

We started something like that on the french melee forum. It's called the international section, and we even added a USA subforum and a Japan subforum ! For the moment though, it's pretty empty !
We plan to post about each region's History and to post about all future tournaments !

But this can become much more real if every community does it. In each community, someone or some people should go post either here about ANY event in his community, a smashfest or monthly as much as a big tournament. Yes I know, it's already happenning. But wait, it's not enough. What really matters here,in order to improve communication and understanding between each other is that someone for each community posts in his own language in his own board. If everybody does it right, every community should be informed of the upcoming tournaments in other countries, and maybe have a chance to attend !
Smashboards would be used for general international european communication.
the chatroom should be there cuz it's fun and useful.
each country-specific board should be as much an information place for Europe as smashboards !

oh yeah, and this melee vs brawl thing should disappear. as I see it, melee in France is quite powerful these days, and so is brawl. But brawl has trouble getting a fine community, as many members are young and stupid. In addition, most melee players (including many occasional brawl players, may I add) don't really care about expanding the brawl community. But I've noticed that quite a lot of brawl players, whom started with brawl, switched to melee because they discovered it and its well established community.

It is true that in France we have been quite active with Melee. In Novembre, we had a monthly (the first in France LOL) and 3 smashfests (2 in Paris, 1 in Lyon) ! In decembre, there's a big smash session coming up in Paris with several selected smashers, but we plan to invite many different people throughout a week or so. I also expect a smashfest or a monthly to take place.

In 2009, we have many tournament projects, but the main one is of course Epita Smash Arena 3, which is still underway. Don't waste energy on asking me about it, I don't know more than the name, just like everyone. All I can tell you is that we plan to make it happen around february/march, just like with ESA2 !

Until sunday, I ask you all to get your ideas together and be prepared to discuss efficiently :)

the chatroom :
http://webchat.quakenet.org/
Channel : #europeansmash
aside of your nickname, you can put the initials of your country. For example : uk, fr, aus

btw Marc, how do you get in the SBR? I'd like to.

Kone

Smash Master
I read Marcs posts only as I know he's always on the ball with these things and i respect him. To Marc - I understand what your saing in regards to Brawl in the UK. I hosted the first large UK Brawl tournament In June. After the tournament the brawl players that had turned up did not remain active nor did any of them seek to host the next tournament. They simply went back to playing online. However, this is one of the problems that has stifled and undermined the UK community from the start. We've had like 4 people ever host tournaments. Currently theres only myself and a place in b'ham willing to do tourneys. This makes it extremely hard to either maintain melee or grow brawl. As a result our efforts are, atm, maintaining melee. Im afraid its upto someone else out there in the UK to step it up and host brawl tourneys and the like.

Ed

Deadeyedave

Smash Apprentice
I unfortunately won't be able to attend any chatroom discussion for the rest of December as I'm going to be on holiday abroad soon, and after which back in my hometown for Christmas, neither of which will give me regular internet access.

But I've got a bunch of discussion topics I'd like to kick around with you guys as soon as we're into the New Year, so rest assured you'll be sick of me by about mid-January ;)

wisl

Smash Journeyman
... the different europeans boards and smashboards + the european chatroom. make it become a big network ! ...
sounds like something that is missing at the moment.
if every local site made a link list to these things, it could help... more people from every region checking the different places out etc etc...

Luma

Smash Lord
"We started something like that on the french melee forum. It's called the international section, and we even added a USA subforum and a Japan subforum ! For the moment though, it's pretty empty !
We plan to post about each region's History and to post about all future tournaments !"

actually a pretty good idea, the problem there imo is that those section have to be in english only, no matter what, otherwise it might be better for the frenchies ofc, but it wont get much other smashers posting there cuz people like to read what people posted in their threads ^^

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
btw Marc, how do you get in the SBR? I'd like to.
We recently had an applications round and we're currently handling that. It took a bit longer than it should because of the SBR restructuring, but it should be done shortly. I'm guessing we'll be having another application round in a few months or so. I'll try to tell you when it's there, but it's pretty hard to miss if you spend some time on Smashboards.

As for the chat on Sunday, I'll probably be there. If anything good comes out of it, I'm definitely on board.

I read Marcs posts only as I know he's always on the ball with these things and i respect him. To Marc - I understand what your saing in regards to Brawl in the UK. I hosted the first large UK Brawl tournament In June. After the tournament the brawl players that had turned up did not remain active nor did any of them seek to host the next tournament. They simply went back to playing online. However, this is one of the problems that has stifled and undermined the UK community from the start. We've had like 4 people ever host tournaments. Currently theres only myself and a place in b'ham willing to do tourneys. This makes it extremely hard to either maintain melee or grow brawl. As a result our efforts are, atm, maintaining melee. Im afraid its upto someone else out there in the UK to step it up and host brawl tourneys and the like.

Ed
I read your post and I agree. If it's hard to maintain the game you like, there's little room for supporting a new community for another game. I'm hoping you'll stay around and provide people (both new and old) with some guidance, but it shouldn't just be you and a few others doing all the work. Cheers.

crewster

Smash Lord
Marc, can you get into the SBR for getting high places in online tournys?

crewster

Smash Lord
Then there should be SBR-Brawl, SBR-Melee and SBR-Online. Just a thought.

And I like how Marc is the almighty god of the Europe boards.

And I just realised tat I can see the previous edits, is that normal?

Slhoka

Smash Lord
In 2009, we have many tournament projects, but the main one is of course Epita Smash Arena 3, which is still underway. Don't waste energy on asking me about it, I don't know more than the name, just like everyone. All I can tell you is that we plan to make it happen around february/march, just like with ESA2 !
Actually, you don't know enough to be right =p
But I'm not allowed to make any announcement at the moment, so no informations about ESA3. Just know it's underway (and looking pretty good imo).

sounds like something that is missing at the moment.
if every local site made a link list to these things, it could help... more people from every region checking the different places out etc etc...
That's exactly what looks important to me (see my post under Luma's quote for more)

"We started something like that on the french melee forum. It's called the international section, and we even added a USA subforum and a Japan subforum ! For the moment though, it's pretty empty !
We plan to post about each region's History and to post about all future tournaments !"

actually a pretty good idea, the problem there imo is that those section have to be in english only, no matter what, otherwise it might be better for the frenchies ofc, but it wont get much other smashers posting there cuz people like to read what people posted in their threads ^^
I don't think so. Let me explain what I thought when I created this section of the french boards :

I was thinking that to many people didn't know what was going on abroad, and that it was a reason explaining why the european smash scene isn't united. According to me, it was linked to the lack of participation on smashboards. People need information to have the will to make the effort of posting on others boards than the ones they're used to. We have to put easy-to-catch information right in front of their eyes.
It is especially true for the French people as well as (imo) Spanish and Italian ones, who aren't quite the best english speakers =p

So, I decided to create a new sub-section on our boards, specific for each nation or group of nation in Europe.
In this, I wanted to do a presentation of every smash scene so people have an idea what to find on this sub forum. You can find an exemple here (in French, sorry). Basically, it gives major facts out a country : general informations and most active areas, notable players including power rankings, famous hosts and any player who is important for some reason and has an influence on the smash scene. I also want to write the history of this smash scene (maybe on a separate topic), and some specific things (==> what makes this smash scene special).

Another use of this sub section is to list summaries of tournaments , with results and interesting facts ("Players A and B placed surprisingly well", "the long awaited match between player C and player D turned out to be extremly close but player D eventually won", etc.).
By doing this, we give people the opportunity to be more familiar with the other smash scenes since they can see it live.

Third step is for hosts : when one wants to organize a tournament which is likely to interest a country's players, he can come on this sub-section of the boards and post it there, in english. If necessary, a local smasher will translate the post for those who can't speak english. It demands an effort a bit higher for the host, but it's definetly worth it since every players has the informations it needs on his own boards and thus, may face less obstacles in order to attend the tournament. It may also be a way for the host(s) to groups informations and divide the work according to every country.

So, in the end, people will have an idea of the smash scene in most countries, and they'll know some players names for seeing them on tournaments topics. And then, when they'll attend a international tournaments, it will be easier for them to identify the other players and contact them, thus creating bonds within the communities.

I didn't say anything about smashboards at the moment. In my opinion, we should have the same topics here too, since smashboards our link to the other scenes worldwide. Obviously, I should be written in english here.

Now I know all this is theory, and that it won't be so easy. Not to say that reporting what's going on every smash scene can be extremely time consuming.
But I really think it can work (even though the improvement may be slow) and that it's definetly worth the try.

I hope my idea was clear ^^'

I will need at least one player in every country to report me what's going on in his country so I can create some sort of "Associated Smash Press", so if anyone is interested, don't hesitate, send me a PM. It isn't that much work

Tero.

Smash Champion
After talking to Slhoka we (the german board) decided to do the same es the french one and create a "Smash worldwide" section. You can see it here: http://forum.germansmash.de/board.php?boardid=185

We allready had something similar but not that big.

I think every country who has their own forum should create such a sww section, because it's a good thing.

eevans

Smash Cadet
I'll represent Ireland.

We've a tournament on in April 09, details in my sig.

Edit: On the topic of Melee VS Brawl, I personally prefer Melee, but I think that's completely irrelevant, the Wii is far far more successful than the Gamecube ever was, and vicariously I expect to attract more new Brawl players to the next tournament than new Melee ones.

To be honest, I probably know most of the Irish Melee players already through Smashboards. I'm not sure there ARE many new Melee players left to find here...

So to summarise; Brawl is the way to go to grow a community, in my opinion.
i think so too but most people wont like it because they all play melee and i dont see them starting to play brawl seeing as very few people like brawl in the uk

xDD-Master

Smash Champion
Hey Tero xD

You only create this thread because of mine in the past right x)

Nevertheless i'm still in favor to do a euro smashboard, especially online sucks me everytime more and more xD

I talked with Magio (who revives this topic in our Scene) and i said to him my idea of the startpage.

It would be look like this:

............................................... WELCOME TO EURO SMASHBOARD (OR OTHER NAME) ........................................
.....................................................................................EURO -ENTER- ..........................................................................
.........................................................................................................................................................................................
...................GERMANY..................FRANCE....................ENGLAND.................HOLLAND..................ITALY.................
.....................-ENTER-...................-ENTER-.....................-ENTER-...................-ENTER-..................-ENTER-..............

The name would be replaced by a flag ^^

When you click on Germany there should pop up a window where you could choose beetween the two or three big german smashboard ^^ (http://www.germansmash.de/ and http://brawlboard.br.funpic.de/) then you get to this pages...

So there is always direct contact and every Board is connected with each other. We only create this new Euro Board where we would install a NEW forum ^^ (Main Language English, maybe others should be allowed, but we could speak about this ^^)

What do you think of my idea ^^" ?

MFG xDD

Btw. sorry for my bad englisch... Tero add me in ICQ when you dont understand me and i will tell u in german ^^"

EDIT: Well i recognized that my main page construction fails in the post xD

I will do it in a picture i think ^^"

Tero.

Smash Champion
Actually we need a european community more than we need a european page or board ...

Joanna Dark

Smash Ace
what do you mean no unity?
dude, that's so not true.
this Xmas, there'll be 1 austrian, 1 swiss and 1 german in Paris, just for visiting. They'll stay at least a week. it's gonna be awesome ! there'll probably be a smashfest somewhere between Xmas and new year's eve.
We pretty much know about big tournaments abroad. around Xmas, other french smashers (from lyon and Nice) are going to Norway for Smasher's Reunion 4. They'll crash at least a week there, with tonberry and Kriz.
For France, I really think the communication is alright, even though it still can be improved.
each country has to step it up in their own community. stop coming and crying on smashboards about that and just do what you need to do. we showed how we did it in France, you can inspire yourselves with all you want here, but I suggest you adapt it to your community.
cya.

Luma

Smash Lord
well actually jd, what you are saying is actually our problem, it just aint enough if only 1 is travelling or a couple, because know it's exactly like this
or for example, i didnt even know about SR4 even though i try to be informed

its just that mostly only same people are involved and not the whole com

Nizro

Smash Journeyman
I'm all for a European smash site.. It's boring only to know a few of the best from europe but you know ALL the best from the US and even some that aren't that good.. in my opinion that's sad..

I'm pretty sure the community would get much bigger if we were united, And to count of that, way more tourneys..

Besides, It's always fun to know new/more people :)

(Incase you got any tourneys going on or just wanna chat with Swedish people, Join http://smashfonticulus.ecommunity.se/)

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
I am totally in for European Smash Boards. It would be awesome because we would be able to communicate in much easier ways than in these pathetic sub-forums. I think we'd better keep english as the main language for the new site, but we should have sections for every country, and separate tournament listings so that finding tournaments becomes simpler.

I live in such a smashless country... *sob* By the way, if you need a representative for Portugal for the first year (I'm going away the next one), please PM me.

HURRICANE REV

Smash Ace
A Good News and a Bad News guys.

Good News: smash bros will be a tourney game For Super Vs Battle.
Bad News: We don't know which smash bros game will be a tourney game (Probably Melee)

I let you guys know sometime next week.

.tea©

Smash Journeyman
I definitely would welcome an English-speaking board for the whole European community. It´s probably the best way to get one European community. The Europe section pretty much sucks since there are only a few users who are commited to this board. The purpose of our own board is bascially the same that Smash World Forums had for the American community: it is the basis for a competitive smash scene.

Hakayami

Smash Rookie
+1

Well, it's a great idea.

... What are we waiting for ? How the project is proceed ? I read that there was a meeting, what people think about it ?

Top Bottom