• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ethanrodgers223's Zelda Videos! *UPDATE: VS. ZINC ELEMENTAL!!*

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
Please rate and comment!

ethanrodgers223 vs. Dark.Pch:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBt2I4OuTug
ethanrodgers223 vs. Sonic_The_Hedgedawg:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_XX0rPud98
*NEW* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izVpamKaeCo
ethanrodgers223 vs. super-7:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_qtURwbgsI
ethanrodgers223 vs. Coat:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGKkYfjATiY
ethanrodgers223 vs. Zinc Elemental:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3G_GPWkIb1k

NOTES: I'm having trouble with my Sheik. I can't pull of things like the "chain" jacket, etc. I need to learn to become the best "Zelda" I can be.

If there is anyone who could help, please, message me or post on this thread!!

popsofctown

Smash Champion
pretty good.

You seem to be using Din's a little too much. I liked some of the uses of Nayru's, like the very earliest use.

RoguefanAM

Smash Rookie
Nice vid ethan, we should have some Zelda dittos sometime. I'm assuming you frequent AiB (since u fought Dark Pch and I just saw him there...)? Send me a message sometime!

Anyway, as far as critiques go (which I really shouldn't give since I'm not so good myself XD) I'd suggest being a little more aggressive. I mean, for some Zelda's that doesn't work (I certainly get punished for it enough), but finding some balance between being offensive and defensive can probably improve your game - in that vid you're almost completely defensive, which isn't so good. You can't always rely on your opponent rushing you, especially with campy characters that you can't lure (with dins) effectively like ROB or Pit.

...But maybe u just decided to be very defensive in that particular match? I can't effectively judge with one vid alone. :/ Also you NL too much (we both have that habit ;)). That move can be seriously punished badly if u miss, so I suggest pulling it out less often.

Hope that helps somewhat!

*feels kinda silly* Look at me - talkin' like I'm some kinda Zelda expert, I should keep my big n00b mouth shut...:laugh:

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
nice zelda. i thought at 39-40 sec though that was jus begging for a usmash attempt instead of that fair.

i like the defensive play but maybe it's just preference but standing in the same spot for a while gives me a bad feeling when I'm playing. @_@

Tezmata

Smash Apprentice
Overall you're doing fairly well. I like that you don't approach much and stay as a mostly defensive player. Zelda does a good job with defenses because she's very punish-oriented (good at punishing and easily punished). My suggestions would be as follows:

1. Try not to use Nayru's Love so much to stop approaches. After a while it will become predictable and your opponent will punish you for it. Throw in some SH N-airs and spot-dodges to mix things up a bit, especially the latter with a C. Falcon player.

2. Try not to use F-air/B-air so much on grounded opponents. If they shield it, you are left vulnerable for quite awhile (though it didn't seem to be much of a problem in the video).

3. I think your Farore's Wind directions could be a bit better. You only used it twice in the video (that I can remember). The first time you reappeared awfully close to C. Falcon and I'm surprised it wasn't taken advantage of. The second time you just FWed into the air, leaving yourself vulnerable again. They were probably little mistakes though and little mistakes will always happen.

That's all I can really think of though. Good job on the timing of your Din's Fire. When you time it properly, fast-fallers have the choice of air-dodging and missing the ledge or just getting hit.

Katy Parry

NNID
justysuxx
Thanks again.

I know, I only use FW for recovery. I'm to scared really to try and ledge warp. I've tried it a couple times, I was rarely successful.

And I'm always spamming fair, because I can never seem to pull them off, but I do usually get two in a battle, anyway, it was really her only defense in Melee, so I'm just used to doing it WAY too much.

Could you rate please?

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
Lightning Kick, Din and NL apparently are Zelda's only moves. : P

Good job. A little narrow attack range.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
okay... this might seem a bit harsh because I don't want to try to take the time to find a nice way to dress up constructive criticism... it's constructive criticisim whether it's terse or its cushioned.

okay... so here we go:

1) what are widely considered some of Zelda's best moves? Usmash and Dsmash...... I didn't see enough of them... and there was NO usmsash ever even though there were plenty of opportunities for it..... you almost ALWAYS went for a LK instead... which would be fine if you were going to connect with one... but a few of those times there was almost no way you were going to sweetspot with one, but you tried for it anyway.

2) Farore's wind control.
the two times I saw it used... you passed up some good warp points for some silly ones.... I guess captain falcon didn't capitalize on it... but that's just lucky for you.

3) WAAAAAY too much Nayru's and din's
I LOVE nayru's love... I use it lots and lots... but you often used it innapropriately... and there was a bit too much din's spam too.

4) Zelda has tilts
I'd like to see more of them :)

now I'll try to break down the whole vid:

0:18 - NL was a very poor move choice here.... Fsmash would have been ideal.
0:21 - NL spamming is what got you naird and then grabbed
0:25 - wasted a double jump, which is a big no-no for zelda normally, and lightning kicked in an area where CF could not possibly put himself
0:29 - another silly place for a LK... you are decaying them LOTS and LOTS which is a bad thing since you seem to like using them.
0:40 - another silly LK... but not awful
0:55 - missed a good Usmash opportunity
1:02 - bad time to use Din's
1:05 - BAD reentry spot for FW... should have landed on stage.. instead you put yourself right on top of falcon with a lot of landing lag
1:09 - Another really bad place for FW... should have gone straight down

Overall... you seem lighning kick happy and unfamiliar with Zelda's repetior because you limited yourself to a few good moves even when the situation called for other attacks to be used... overall you won... so it's hard to complain, but the Zelda needs a lot of work IMO... really... try a few matches with no lightning kicks... and make a point to use her tilts.
Also... practice being more selective in your Farore's exit points.
Learn what moves zelda has for what situation... and don't spam lightning kicks.

This Zelda might have some potential... but I'm going to need to see some more depth to her for me to believe that right now.

oh... and sorry for my over-harshness... I hope you take it constructively and not as me being an a** because I'd really like to see you get better.

If I was trying to really be an a** I'd get on you for song choice ;)

Katy Parry

NNID
justysuxx
Um... Do not dis Lady GaGa. K?

Anyway, thanks for your honesty. I guess I have a lot to work on.

Maybe I can vs you sometime, obviously your better than me. :)

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725

I would say yes.... I'm not pro by any stretch... I'm too stupid
I'm realy familiar with Zelda... know most of her tricks... but I am a bit too reckless and predictable with her... and occasionally I do a stupid by accident caused by clumsy fingers....

... but I do play a good Zelda and at least for now... I think you could learn a few things from me...
I have some vids up ... or rather my sparring partner does http://www.youtube.com/user/FiveStarKnight

I would be "Kyle"

Katy Parry

NNID
justysuxx
Okay. Thanks.

And don't put yourself down. :)

Well, maybe I could just play you now.

If you can, then I can(or you) post the vid here and see what I can learn from that!

This is so exciting!

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Okay. Thanks.

And don't put yourself down. :)

Well, maybe I could just play you now.

If you can, then I can(or you) post the vid here and see what I can learn from that!

This is so exciting!
I can't post vids.... I don't have any means... but.. I mean... you can

I'm currently in a brawl with Silent Rain's B**** of a peach right now... but I can do you right after that... if you have AIM that would be very helpful

Lingy

Smash Journeyman
I think Sonic said everything I would have pointed out. You also randomly Dsmash when the opponent wasn't even close to you, which kinda confused me.

Also, no offense to the opponent, but that CF wasn't very good.

-Mars-

Smash Hero

Maybe Sonic the Hedgedawg should be learning from you. Lol he says he's going to help you with some things and then you beat him...........was their a lot of lag or something or are you just better than him?

Katy Parry

NNID
justysuxx
There wasn't any lag--in our first couple of matches he kicked my butt. (There was a lot of lag in those), but when it cleared up, we were sorta evenly matched.

That match was one of several that we played. Just because I beat him, doesn't mean I better.

But thanks for the analogy.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
Maybe Sonic the Hedgedawg should be learning from you. Lol he says he's going to help you with some things and then you beat him...........was their a lot of lag or something or are you just better than him?
I won't speak entirely in place for Sonic, but... isn't it a bit obvious what just happened here?

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
No, let's try that ethan probably uploaded his best match here and not any of the others. I have a feeling they played more than "a few laggy matches where Sonic won."

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
No, let's try that ethan probably uploaded his best match here and not any of the others. I have a feeling they played more than "a few laggy matches where Sonic won."
yes.... we played about 20-30 matches.... over 2/3 of them were lag free.... I won every one of them except that one.... and that was the FIRST match we played with no lag... not saying that that's much of an excuse... but all my timing and everything had yet to adjust to lag free from our laggy matches.... and, If I remember correctly, some of my wins were 3 stocks....

yes... I played stupid that match...... and, I'll admit... since I'd been doing so well against him, I completely underestimated him and wasn't as focused or as serious as I could be..... but when you post my worst match out of that many and make no disclaimer that it was NOT even close to representative of the whole.... yes.... it makes me look bad <_<

I'll admit... one of my biggest flaws is that I'm inconsistent....... but that doesn't mean that one bad match makes me bad at the game.... I'm begining to question whether or not Dark Peach lost due to the same considerations.... I'm not saying ethan is intentionally being rude or decietful.... just that he's trying to make himself look as good as he can and, granted.... that was probably his best match... so if you wanna see his zelda at its best.... there it is. (somehow the moment I lost one match I anticipated this <_<)

-_- and I was just trying to be nice and help him..... goodbye reputation.

.... I'm not shocked... or angry with ethan... I'm just... *sigh* dissapointed that this is the ONLY matchup he posted.... but, hey... at least I got him to use tilts...

(and, thank god pappi didn't post my match with 3 suicides <_<)

that's all I'm going to say.

p.s. sorry if I sound b****y but I mean... honestly... this makes me look awful.

Katy Parry

NNID
justysuxx
I did win a few, thank you, and I'm not trying to make myself look good. I said, he is better than me. I couldn't post any other of our matches that I had because my camera only can record 2:40. That vid BARELY FIT.

This really makes me upset.

I'm being trained by Sonic. I'm not trying to blackmail him or anything of the sort.

This just makes me want to quit all together.

I can't believe you people.

"Wasn't focused as I could be..."

I swear people. This really hurts.

EDIT: I just read your entire post, Sonic. WOW. "I won ALL of them...."

I'm done.

Just close this thread.

Katy Parry

NNID
justysuxx
Not on topic.

I'm supposed to be getting help here.

I care less who won!

Just watch a match and watch my faults, so I can know what to work on!

Lingy

Smash Journeyman
Okay, let's play ethan :) I've only done a Zelda ditto once against DM (and got owned) but that was a while back. I can't really criticize / give proper advice unless I play someone myself.

Katy Parry

NNID
justysuxx
Okay, let's play ethan :) I've only done a Zelda ditto once against DM (and got owned) but that was a while back. I can't really criticize / give proper advice unless I play someone myself.
Okay, thanks. I added you already. Is there anyway you can post a vid of us?

As I said above, unless it's under 2:40, then I can't.

And it's okay, Sonic, Fatmanonice is training me now.

He mains all the characters. Isn't that cool?

Wish I could do that. >_>

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
I did win a few, thank you, and I'm not trying to make myself look good. I said, he is better than me. I couldn't post any other of our matches that I had because my camera only can record 2:40. That vid BARELY FIT.
fair enough

This really makes me upset.

I'm being trained by Sonic. I'm not trying to blackmail him or anything of the sort.
never claimed you were... in fact... I even added te disclaimer that I didn't think you had the slightest bit of malicious intent.

"Wasn't focused as I could be..."

I swear people. This really hurts.

EDIT: I just read your entire post, Sonic. WOW. "I won ALL of them...."
sorry sir... just trying to defend my reputation... like I said... I'm not TRYING to sound rude or anything of the sort.... I just... look so bad because of this video... and well... I mean I might have left it alone... except... well I was getting called out on it.... and while you never said "I'm better than sonic" in fact, you said it didn't mean that you were... you also didn't do much to combat that assertion either..... like I said... I understand... I'm not mad at you for it and I'm sorry if you're mad at me... but I'd expect at least some kind of disclaimer

I'm done.

Just close this thread.
keep your pants on... you got better right? I mean you DID manage to beat me there... even if it was for only a match or two you DID outplay me, regardless of the other matches.... I'm just saying... I didn't wanna suggest that you were BAD just... that I did not appreciate being called out as a bad zelda user for the one matchup <_< (no... it wasn't you who said it ethan... so I'm sorry you're the one who went down from me trying to stand back up.)

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Okay, thanks. I added you already. Is there anyway you can post a vid of us?

As I said above, unless it's under 2:40, then I can't.

And it's okay, Sonic, Fatmanonice is training me now.

He mains all the characters. Isn't that cool?

Wish I could do that. >_>
fair enough.... would be better for you.... don't stick with HIM alone either.... it'll help you the most to try your hand at various different Zelda styles..... honestly... I'm so used to playing against nesses that that's what my zelda is the best addapted to... so, yeah.... it's not the most orthodox zelda.

once again... I appologize for offending you... I just don't want the only knowledge of my zelda to come from THAT video... I was not aware that you could only record matches up to 2:40... I appologize.... because there were multiple under 3 minutes... but I can believe that was the shortest match.

Katy Parry

NNID
justysuxx
fair enough

never claimed you were... in fact... I even added te disclaimer that I didn't think you had the slightest bit of malicious intent.

sorry sir... just trying to defend my reputation... like I said... I'm not TRYING to sound rude or anything of the sort.... I just... look so bad because of this video... and well... I mean I might have left it alone... except... well I was getting called out on it.... and while you never said "I'm better than sonic" in fact, you said it didn't mean that you were... you also didn't do much to combat that assertion either..... like I said... I understand... I'm not mad at you for it and I'm sorry if you're mad at me... but I'd expect at least some kind of disclaimer

keep your pants on... you got better right? I mean you DID manage to beat me there... even if it was for only a match or two you DID outplay me, regardless of the other matches.... I'm just saying... I didn't wanna suggest that you were BAD just... that I did not appreciate being called out as a bad zelda user for the one matchup <_< (no... it wasn't you who said it ethan... so I'm sorry you're the one who went down from me trying to stand back up.)

Well, I hate how CERTAIN people think I would do something like that.

I had no intention like that, I swear.

So, I can delete that vid if you'd like.

And maybe if we play again, you can record some?

All is forgiven? (even tho I didn't do anything)

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Well, I hate how CERTAIN people think I would do something like that.

I had no intention like that, I swear.

So, I can delete that vid if you'd like.

And maybe if we play again, you can record some?

All is forgiven? (even tho I didn't do anything)
yes... I did think you were doing it to make yourself look as good as you possibly could not necessarily to make me look bad.... sorry for that... if it's all about the length of time... I understand.

yes I beleive that.

you don't need to I suppose.... I can look at it any time I want to see some of my worst, unsafe habits >.< just wish others knew that this was NOT representative of my ability :ohwell:

I can save replays and send to Raph to upload... but I can't post.... no device

yes... I just missunderstood your intentions... I never held ill will for you before anyhow.... god this turned into a big mess.

Lingy

Smash Journeyman
Haha, sorry about those last few rounds, just felt like using random.

One thing I can say -- I think we both like to use FW a bit too much. <: And dodging din's on wifi is harder than I remembered it being.

That's about all I noticed.

Katy Parry

NNID
justysuxx
I saved two videos, because they we under three. May I post them?

CRAP: I didn't mean to double post.

Lingy

Smash Journeyman
LOL the last two? I don't think you should, I don't know how to use Luigi and.. whoever I played as before that. Doesn't show your potential if its against a major nub. It was more for fun than show.

Top Bottom