• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Epita Smash Arena 2 - Paris - 23 & 24 February 2008 - Up to 256 Players !

Slhoka

Smash Lord
Edit: I'd like to come to this, but only if some other cool dutch are coming too.
I haven't checked the list of pre-registration, but I've know that Amsah, Adam and Coen are in it, and you probably know better than me that they're really cool. And I remember that BF.com is also pre registered and he's a Led Zeppelin fan, so he must be cool.
And anyway, I'm sure there's more dutchies registered, and even more who will come, so I guess you'll find someone cool enough to make you come in France ^^

Joanna Dark

Smash Ace
Masashi just pre-registred, he has 95% of chances to come to ESA 2 according to Captain Jack ^^.
This date seems to fit the Japanese because it's before they go back to school or start working again.... CJ actually told me that he, Cho and Masashi are sure to come (Cho is the ganon player who was at 0C2), and Tani (best marth in Japan atm) and hiko (best falco next to bombsoldier) are very interested in coming to this, and have good chances to come ^^.
If there are enough Japanese players, they'll have their own regional crew ! Team Japan ! ouch ^^.
step it up Europe, it might be the one chance to play them all before brawl takes over melee !

Yomi-no-Kuni

Smash Lord
no you wont
believe in your fellow americans

and tell them to come a week early and go to the autobahn xD

cant you persuade anyone to come with you? maybe someone in your area or something...

Yomi-no-Kuni

Smash Lord
lol :D
prejudice against your own countrymen ;)

i mean, just be telling them awesome japanese ppl are coming, alcohol when you´re 16
that should do the job ^^

(there is in france, right?)

jOs'z

Smash Cadet
Acherontic, u ALREADY asked for the final date and we ALREADY answered u we can't give one.
Wait till Poilon comes and tells us.

GAwes

Hidden Boss
americans=lazy

they wont come =/
jesus christ dood, man up a bit. you probably won't show based on the fact that you've said you'll go to about 10 euro tournaments in the past and haven't actually pulled through with it. So its funny that you'd base what other people would do on actions you've done yourself. Plus, i'll have to go to show them america doesn't suck turbod.ick at smash. Dunno if i can for sure make it or not, depends on what other brits can go and how my school schedule is lookin. But if i do even "okay" against amsah at the end of this month (assuming we both show up) then i'll try my best to be there for one last smash tournament.

BTW dood? if we're so "lazy" how come we have the ability to have functioning national championships like MLG and EVO, and why do most of our states have bigger traveling communities that most european countries?

p.s. i'm not trying to start **** with europe, i love you guys, i'm just starting **** with cash mooney

STICK TO YOUR GUNS BRO, LIVE AND DIE AMERICAN

Joanna Dark

Smash Ace
can I call you OSM?
well OSM, nobody can say you're wrong saying there are many more travellers in America ^^. America is way more advanced about videogame tournaments imo... and the only tournament I found almost as good as the only American tourney I've been to (0C2) was ESA1, and I know for sure ESA2 will be better and bigger ! All I can say is that you guys should come because it's gonna be awesome and European style !

TelpeFion

Smash Lord
why do most of our states have bigger traveling communities that most european countries?
Traveling within the US, even out of state, is still easier in my eyes than traveling abroad in Europe, though it obviously greatly depends. Somewhere in Middle Europe you can travel to other countries easily by car or train, but from Finland you pretty much have to fly even distances that could be covered by car in most parts of the US. Then there's also language barriers, different currencies and stuff. But yeah, of course the fact still stands that there are like 100 times more smashers in North America.

lexxil

Smash Apprentice
cmon japanese are coming and americans not?
Is there a reason like Money?

rofl -.-

Cash Money just bring PC, m2k and forward over here plz thx ^^ .,.

Witchking_of_Angmar

Smash Lord
Slowly starting to enjoy my mothertongue again. :)
Great tournament, really ****ed up rules. No offense, but they just suck. Complaints:
-Wobbling. I can understand that it's banned in singles, but teams? No.
-Stages. I don't think I have to explain....
-Stalling banned? I think that specific techniques should be banned, but not stalling in general, simply because it's so hard to define. if I'm running away and spamming laser, technically I'm stalling, because I'm just trying to tick time off the clock, but it's not a stall, so what happens?

Please fix the rules!:) I might come, if I can. I think my parents would actually be happy if I went to a french tourney because I can improve my french and see Paris at the same time, so....

TelpeFion

Smash Lord
Stalling is banned in 99 % of all tournaments, but it's true that the definition is hard. First thing that comes to mind is Samus going beneath BF and doing walljumps, you are unreachable and you can waste something like a minute doing it.

GAwes

Hidden Boss
can I call you OSM?
well OSM, nobody can say you're wrong saying there are many more travellers in America ^^. America is way more advanced about videogame tournaments imo... and the only tournament I found almost as good as the only American tourney I've been to (0C2) was ESA1, and I know for sure ESA2 will be better and bigger ! All I can say is that you guys should come because it's gonna be awesome and European style !

yeah of course, you can call me whatever you like, i do prefer just "wes" though more than others, regardless, as i said, i'd love to come, just depends on school and such. I'm not one to say "OMG I'LL TOTALLY BE THURRRRRRR" and then **** out and make johns. If it turns out i'm coming, i'll let you know, and that means i'll show up. <europe3

cmon japanese are coming and americans not?
Is there a reason like Money?

rofl -.-

Cash Money just bring PC, m2k and forward over here plz thx ^^ .,.
lol, cash mooney bringing good players. ps-ps-ps-psych!

Traveling within the US, even out of state, is still easier in my eyes than traveling abroad in Europe, though it obviously greatly depends. Somewhere in Middle Europe you can travel to other countries easily by car or train, but from Finland you pretty much have to fly even distances that could be covered by car in most parts of the US. Then there's also language barriers, different currencies and stuff. But yeah, of course the fact still stands that there are like 100 times more smashers in North America.

Yeah man, wasn't tryin to put down anyone in europe at all. Just seems kinda hypocritical for someone who makes constant claims about going to tournaments and then not showing to generalize americans as being "lazy" about tournaments. The thing about america is that there are so many smashers in some parts of the country that there is really not much reason to travel far. Usually you can find a 60-100 person tournament at least a few times a year within 3 hours drive of you. So thats mostly the reason why we don't travel out of country very often, that and the fact that the US dollar isn't worth **** anymore.

_______

on a separate note, i should be in france from around Dec. 14th until at least christmas, don't know where i'll be yet, but if i'm close to anyone i'd be down for smashing if it wasn't too much trouble =D

Slhoka

Smash Lord
-Wobbling. I can understand that it's banned in singles, but teams? No.
I don't see why. It's no more broken in singles than in doubles.
-Stages. I don't think I have to explain....
We've already expressed our point of view on this point. The French community thinks that in a tournament, certains stages are way too unbalanced. It's our way of playing smash, thanks to respect it.
-Stalling banned? I think that specific techniques should be banned, but not stalling in general, simply because it's so hard to define. if I'm running away and spamming laser, technically I'm stalling, because I'm just trying to tick time off the clock, but it's not a stall, so what happens?
Come on, you're not as stupid as what you're saying. Although stalling to define, you know that it refers to most techniques such as Wallbombing and Rising Pound. The completely means it's not allowed for a certain time.

Please fix the rules!:) I might come, if I can. I think my parents would actually be happy if I went to a french tourney because I can improve my french and see Paris at the same time, so....

We won't fix the rules. They're pretty good as they are now (although many french players including me would like to remove battlefield, and I think the japanese think the same way), so there's no need to fix it.
It sure will be pretty good if you come in Paris, and you'll be welcome. But you have to accept the French "smash culture", including its rules.

I apologize if my answer sounds aggressive, but I'm pretty tired of this rules debate.

Doraki

Smash Lord
I guess wobbling is banned in teams because wobbling has always been banned in france since the very beginning.

The idea was that if we banned it in singles we would ban it also in teams to keep the rules simple, and to avoid people learning about the technique just because of the rules, and then have them wanting to learn it and asking to un-ban it. This game doesn't need wobbling.

Though in teams it's very different since your partner can come and interrupt it anytime. Long and slow combos are less much worth it in teams.
And also, infiniting someone in a grab in a 2-vs-1 hasn't ever been banned though it's a similar technique.
I don't think I would care if wobbling was unbanned in teams.. it's probably not a good tactic though.

Witchking_of_Angmar

Smash Lord
Slowly starting to enjoy my mothertongue again. :)
I don't see why. It's no more broken in singles than in doubles.
That's the problem, I think. Wobbling isn't all that broken. Not even in singles. The only IC player that ***** with Wobbling is wobbles, and even he isn't ranked top 5 (although he did get 5th at SCC) and in teams, what Doraki said.

We've already expressed our point of view on this point. The French community thinks that in a tournament, certains stages are way too unbalanced. It's our way of playing smash, thanks to respect it.
Apparently you're set in iron on this matter, so w/e. But IMO, some of the random stages are just as unbalanced as counterpicks. Yoshis Story favors Marth, FD favors IC and Falco. All stages are in some way better for some characters than for others, and often (IMO) more so than a few of the counterpicks. For example, Yoshi's Story is more in favor of Marth than Pokefloats is in favor of any character.

I do respect your way of playing smash, I just think that blindly turning against what is logical is a bit silly.
Come on, you're not as stupid as what you're saying. Although stalling to define, you know that it refers to most techniques such as Wallbombing and Rising Pound. The completely means it's not allowed for a certain time.
ok, you win

We won't fix the rules. They're pretty good as they are now (although many french players including me would like to remove battlefield, and I think the japanese think the same way), so there's no need to fix it.
It sure will be pretty good if you come in Paris, and you'll be welcome. But you have to accept the French "smash culture", including its rules.

I apologize if my answer sounds aggressive, but I'm pretty tired of this rules debate.
Just asking, why would you remove battlefield? I do accept the smash culture of France, but nothing is perfect, and IMO yours could be improved, so I'm trying to help. Your answer wasn't aggressive at all, it was exactly the way I would have responded to someone trying to change German rules to yours. :)

MeisterNeumann

Smash Apprentice
wes wtf do you have against me?

like...did i do anything to you before?

besides give away you dont suck,yet you have a **** load of matches up on youtube so why does it matter?

i dont understand =/

-Cash

ps-wes,alot of US people are lazy and wont come

and what if i do show up?

and bring somebody good?

Stormblast

Smash Journeyman
Wobbling isnt nearly as effective in teams and the other teammate should be able to save you. still it would be pretty funny to see 2 guys wobbled at the same time by 2 different IC´s but i that is VERY unlikely to happen.

I dont care about the rules though, they are fine as they are now IMO.

Nihonjin

Striving 4 Perfection
BRoomer
Actually, the OFFICIAL dutch rules are quite good.
Sadly enough its up to the host to decide whether he follows those rules, or not.
So its different every tournament JD.
You were just unlucky you showed up at a tournament with crappy rules.

Dev

Smash Rookie
I might come to this, don't really like the rules but that isn't bothering me that much ^^

WOOT, first post on smashboards o_O

ivootjes(nr18)

Smash Lord
I'm not talking about the stages or something, that's an opinion. I don't say my opinion on the stages is better than yours. If i come to the tournament, i'll just play with the stages that you decide. It's ok.

But banning wobbling is actually a really bad thing. It's only banned because it's a technique that doesn't look like smash and is very strong. It isn't broken, cause even chu dat didn't suddenly crush his opponents when he used it (and he already is there at the top) The argument that is used is like this: "the french have always banned wobbling, and we'll keep doing it that way"

To me, that just looks like the mental web of rules that sirlin is talking about in his first article (you all know it)

I didn't mean to call the french fools, i like it that they have their own way of thinking about the stages, counterpicking systems, dsr, etc. Ill play with the rules you present, but this antiwobbling mentality (without arguments) is just scrubby and not proffesional

I'm sorry if i offended you guys

Top Bottom