• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Epita Smash Arena 2 - Paris - 23 & 24 February 2008 - Up to 256 Players !

Joanna Dark

Smash Ace
Alright Luigi and Link will be allowed in the low tier tournament, which will have no cash prize and will take place during the night, as a fun event. here you go :)
don't get your hopes up about stages though ;) just come and see for yourself if it's that bad not to play on counterpick stages !

Hara

Smash Apprentice
Ya... Anyway... The Stage banning is just too much, unless there is a MAJOR crusade from Sweden to Epita 2, i will probably not be there. Such a waste.

ivootjes(nr18)

Smash Lord
Nice, low tier has acceptable rules now. I'm thinking about coming. Still don't like the rules for stages but i'm going to accept it. Come with a date and i'll see what i can do :)

On a side note, i won't be participating low tier. I don't care about fighting with sucky charachters.

Joanna Dark

Smash Ace
cheer up swedes ! don't make such a big deal of your missing favorite counterpick stage :)
you should be curious about a different view of smash, a different way to play it in tournaments, within Europe !
How can anyone say "this is the best rule" being objective ? no one, cuz there isn't... the rules we use are made with a certain conception of tournament play. Come on, be curious, don't be like "oh noes it's different I don't like it", cuz that's kinda lame :)
on another note, low tiers AREN'T cooler XD.

Helios

BRoomer
BRoomer
JD - You are the ones acting like "different is bad". You're the one who can't handle the stages we use, not the way around. We're just bored of using the same stages over and over.
So basically, the main concern from the swedes is being bored with the stages.
"A different view on smash" = a boring view on smash in our eyes ;)

Joanna Dark

Smash Ace
how can you say that Helios??? I haven't complained half as much as you about different rules ! And I can handle different stages ! I don't need to prove it, if you don't believe me, too bad, but you can't say that, I travelled enough to show my goodwill... oh you've been to France already, I know, but I've been 4 times in Sweden and at ros4, the french showed up in mass, even though your rules didn't please us at all.
YOU are acting lame, not us.

Helios

BRoomer
BRoomer
I don't see why you're making this personal. I said "you are the ones", referring to the french (with the closed minded ruleset), not you personally.

I think using only a couple of stages is boring, and many swedes (and other europeans) feel exactly the same way about this. The reason I'm even arguing here is because neither you nor poilon are handling this discussion like one would expect. You'd think, as a host, poilon would be interested in explaining his reasoning behind the stage rules a bit further than "it's my tourney, my rules".

Now, personally I'm pretty much through with smash, but many others who were looking to go were scared off through your acting in this issue. I would suggest you at least open up for a discussion on the stages. A reasonable one, that is ;) ("MY RULES!" doesn't quite fit the description as being reasonable, imo)

So, go ahead and use the ruleset you want, as long as you give good reasoning behind it. The thing about low tier was just ridiculous, but I can see why you'd want to use only the stages you normally play on.
What I wanna know instead is your reasoning to banning them, and preferrably in a well spoken manner =)

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
Can't you look up a random ruleset debate topic, it's not like this hasn't been discussed a GAZILLION times before. =/

Joanna Dark

Smash Ace
excuse me Helios, I'm not totally fluent, I might have misunderstood your post somehow :)
but you're right, it's better to reason.
But it's quite hard to make a reasonning when the people in front of you don't even try to see it from another point of view. I, and also other people from France, have travelled quite some times to be able to understand the point of view of tournament play with counterpicking being very important.
I've always agreed with CJ saying FD and DL64 are the only good tournament stages, thgough I never really discussed it with him, I experienced his rules, cuz he was like "hey let's play Japanese rules !" and we would play for 2 hours straight ! :)
Nothing quite unexpected could happen... you might find it boring, but what was really interesting was the fact that you really had to outsmart your opponent more than counting his non-reflex or his unexperience on something. This feels really great. And when stages are at a low number, you know them all by heart, so everyone is pretty equal on these allowed stages.
Basically, what we encourage in France is knowledge of mindgames and preciseness, while you guys encourage knowledge of match-ups and stage advantages.
Rules of ESA2 try to make a kind of compromise between these 2 views, closer to the French view of course.
If that explanation doesn't suit you, then I'm sorry...
Anyway, rules don't decide how much fun this tournament will be. It's gonn be big, fun and of course well organized. Amsah can tell, it was awesome, and different rules will not ruin ESA2 :p

yomedrath

Smash Apprentice
i´m not bothered by the stages as much as i am by the chosen random stages ^^

also with that reasoning i dont understand pokemon stadium being in there from the very begining ...

it has wierd ledges, annoying, confusing transformations and walls that give advantages to a few characters...

good job JD ^^ (seriously, no sarcasm inside...) ( i mean for giving reason)... (**** that sentence sounds so ironical i just have to put something behind it) ( -.-)

Helios

BRoomer
BRoomer
JD - Haha, well ideally, one shouldn't feel that those counterpicking stages are by any means less familiar than the neutral stages. This is why people should play on them more. Remember, you can learn Onett by heart just as much as you can learn Pokémon Stadium ;)

lexxil

Smash Apprentice
I dont care the rules, but I can understand Helios very well, since he can take the tourney much more serious than me in cases of winning a prize etc.

And stages like PS, YS are even more random than rainbow cruise, shy guys can make you miss a fsmash if you hit them, ps has random transformations, and saying "i dont like" isnt an argument at all.

C@sH Mooney

Smash Master
Cash Mooney WILL be making this..

also bcuz mah negro Amsah will be going but i <3 europe as well =D

will there be a brawl tourney here as well?

that would be awesome xD

C@sH Mooney

Smash Master
lol >_____>

you lazy european's need to get ur OWN Wii's and SSBB Copies >_>

otherwise EU will Phail =/

EDIT:since ill be coming from the USA will their be any special housing arrangements for me? =D

Joanna Dark

Smash Ace
get my msn (-> joannadark5@gmail.com <-) and we'll talk about housing ! I guess you won't be coming from America just for 2 days of tournament ^^. I'll make sure you get housing in Paris !
about brawl, if you don't know it, the game is scheduled for 2008 in Europe, we have no idea if it's gonna be in January, February or even later...

Slhoka

Smash Lord
Eyh, don't forget Time Zones, it's 2am here in France.
JD went to bed about 5 minutes before your post.

But anyway, don't worry for housing, we'll make sure you'll have a place to stay in France for some days/weeks ;)

C@sH Mooney

Smash Master
i have advanced privledges lol

my mum also told me i could visit europe at some point...

but who ever said i would come alone?

i may bring some American smasher/s to this with me as well...

one plays falco and another plays ganon.can u guess who it is??? =O

Utto

Commander Keen
BRoomer
i have advanced privledges lol

my mum also told me i could visit europe at some point...

but who ever said i would come alone?

i may bring some American smasher/s to this with me as well...

one plays falco and another plays ganon.can u guess who it is??? =O
If you don't bring PC Chris you will not be allowed into the venue. His presence is mandatory.

Also, bring Mew2King, so we can laugh at him.

Luma

Smash Lord
yeah lets change the date for a random austrian guy who cant read
the date isnt even set now, what the hell are u complaining about? o.O

lexxil

Smash Apprentice
Luma auf der Website fürs Registireren steht 23./24. .... man ey ^^!!!

So if the date chaged im pretty shure nowone would compare about setting the date on a week end... ^^

Im sure i will come...

And whats now with the americans... I know about Chas Money, but ive heard the PC woul like to come etc ... or CJ (okay hes japanese lol)
What about that... =O

ZeroP

Smash Apprentice
lol @ luma:
i hope it will be an other date.
................................................i just wanted to say that before the date is sure.

u should think twice before posting sentences like "austrian guy who cant read" lol

Luma

Smash Lord
there is no date atm, there is just an idea when it could be

since many ppl are complaining when there is absolutly no date it is better to say:

it will be around xyz

and what u wanted do to is beging for a date, and there he have the random austrian guy again

in the end, +1

Top Bottom