• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Epita Smash Arena 2 - Paris - 23 & 24 February 2008 - Up to 256 Players !

Calle W

Smash Apprentice
Vs Peach players I would normally ban Mute City, which is already banned in this tournament.... If I then would get the opportunity to ban Dreamland 64, there will only be one good Peach stage left, which will be in favour of Falco/Fox. So I think it's fair to not have stage bans, when a lot of stages are already excluded =)
I agree. There's like only one stage allowed. XD

Smasher89

Smash Lord
@Smasher89, That doesnt change the fact that the whole ledge is gay so i would never counterpick that stage against any char, I dont care if you would counterpick it.
Yep it´s all about spacing, but I think it´s easier to get punished by the ledge as peach then as other chars on that stage. Tnx, then I know I´ll counterpick that stage against you :)

JD- Nice top 7 in both teams and singles gets prizes. Great with no stageban too XD
EDIT: no stage reset then?, ok since it´s only three stages that´s fair too XD

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
I’ve asked about stage banning ages ago. The reply was that not enough stages would be left, which isn’t completely untrue. I still want to see it added though, more than anything else.

As I see it, the French have tried to combine the Japanese ruleset and the rulesets that are more or less standard in the US and Europe. The effort shows that they’re willing to at least compromise a bit, since their usual ruleset is really conservative. However, by doing so they stripped a few characters of some counterpicks, most notably Peach and anyone wanting to counterpick space animals and perhaps Marth. Which stages are we talking about?

1. DK64 – The stage is big and pretty fair. Because of the high ceiling it is a decent counterpick against Fox, but he still has lots of options. Like on DL64, a smart Fox can keep away a lot and outlast his opponent. It’s also a decent choice against Marth, but in both cases it’s more about taking away an advantage (early vertical kills, platform tippers etc) than adding a disadvantage. The only thing the stage has going against it is the barrel, which in my opinion is just as bad as the cloud on Yoshi’s Story.

2. Mute City – Admittedly, it’s a but more dubious because Peach and Jigglypuff do really well there. However, Marth and Fox do just as well on a stage like Yoshi’s Story and it’s certainly not instant win in any of those cases. And this is one of those stages where stage banning comes into play. Don’t like it? Ban it yourself. Note that it would still just be a counterpick stage, while Falco players can have Final Destination in the first round when left unbanned (through stage banning). Not instant win, but definitely an advantage against many characters.

There are also stages like Rainbow Ride (not random, but moves and landing on offscreen platforms is annoying) and Brinstar (acid can be gay) which aren’t that bad, but that I personally don’t really want to see added. They are used a lot though, and certainly defendable. In a game like this, counterpicking is also a skill to a certain extent.

Changing the ruleset might be bad for some French players, but they still have time to practice on more stages. I had to practice on more stages for RoS3 and they added even more for RoX4 (stuff like Green Greens is just ridiculous though). I’m not asking to go that far, I don’t even think the current ruleset is that bad. I’m just thinking that it could be better and ask to look at it again carefully. Maybe it’s better to either only have a few stages or a lot more stages, not something inbetween. These are just my thoughts on the subject, I’m not demanding anything. I do hope the organisation will at least take a look at this, since I’m clearly not the only person with these doubts.

Yomi-no-Kuni

Smash Lord
i think everyone outside of france has the excact same thoughts...
i´d love to have some more stages

but i already resigned to it... it doesnt seem like JD or Poilon are gonna give up their rules

Joanna Dark

Smash Ace
Marc, no more stages will be added to the current ruleset, there's no debate to have about this.
And if the explanation for not putting stage banning on doesn't fit you, it's your problem... (I don't mean to be rude, just being straight).

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
Marc, no more stages will be added to the current ruleset, there's no debate to have about this.
And if the explanation for not putting stage banning on doesn't fit you, it's your problem... (I don't mean to be rude, just being straight).
I don't mean to start a debate, since that has been done to death already. I also don't feel I should keep repeating and defending what I said, since it should be the other way around. This ruleset is deviant, not what I propose. Your country, your rules. If that means those rules can't change at all ever, that's your choice. I won't have hard feelings, since it's my choice to participate and I have done what I can to change things.

EDIT: What I said should be taken as an improvement and addition to what you have, I'm not arguing with that. Just in case you take what I said as an offense.

Luma

Smash Lord
its pretty easy:
fact 1) a fair tournament needs stage banning

fact 2) u cant use stage banning with only 3/6 stages

i dont think i have to go any futher =D

btw: no flame ;-)

Slhoka

Smash Lord
Ok, so, since there's still some problems with the rules, I'll try to explain the point of view of the hosts. The main hosts are Poilon, Joanna Dark and me, and most of the time, we're the ones deciding, quite often with point of view of one or 2 other smashers like Doraki or Makenshi. And about the rules, I don't really take part in the discussions we have because of my lack of experience.
Anyway, an important point is that everything thing you say here has been discussed, and we did not forget your point of view.
Concerning the stage banning... many people say that it should be on. We agree about this idea in general, but only when there is enough stages to do it. So the question would be : why is there so few stages ?
The French ruleset concerning the stages is the same as the one of the ESA2, without Battlefield. We don't use more stages because we think that a player should not rely to much on stage counterpicking. But well, thinking like this would make impossible to have a satisfying ruleset since no stage is perfectly balanced. So we have to find a compromise: in France, we accept stages where there the advantage isn't that important, but we think that unbalanced stages who also have some importants events perturbing gameplay, like DK64, because of its barrel and ground and darkness, or Mute City, with its cars and moving plateforms aren't good enough to give accurate enough results during a tournament.
Don't think we never discussed this stage ruleset, we did, and more than once.
So now, I hope that you understand why we did chose those stages, and why we didn't accept stage banning.

Now, back the the original thing I wanted to make clear : we do listen to everything you say here, and because we do not agree and do not apply it to the ruleset doesn't mean we just think "our rules are the best, f*** you all". So please, when we said no let's say... twice it's useless to bring the debate back on the front scene, expecially if the pros and cons of both parties did not change.

We want to make this tourney enjoyable to both foreigners used to a different ruleset and french smashers, and also to have accurate results. To achieve this goal we think that the French ruleset (with some additions like BF for instance) is the best solution we have. So please, accept the way of thinking of our community, as we will accept (which means take into account, not apply) any suggestion (and not complain !) that you can do.

Thanks.

Fox128

Smash Journeyman
YES
confirming...

Fox128, ZeroP, Norm and Serpit. We have booked. ^^

Also I'm staying 'till the 26th... for sightseeing or maybe Smash if some good player houses me.
Anyone staying after the tournament? Anyone that I know: wanna join in for sightseeing? I don't wanna do it alone.
Please PM me! I'm not checking this thread...
Also... PM me about housing. I'm leaving on 26th evening.

R Zero

Smash Rookie
Hi

I'm RØ, I made the preinscription but I forgot mentioning my nationality. I'm from Spain. Could you add me at the Spanish list players?

Thx.

A-D

Smash Journeyman
ok JD are we gonna sleep @ the same place as last year? it was too funny^^ ( @ the venue)

and yaaeeeeees More people from spain^^

Rapido!

Catharsis

Smash Apprentice
Try to send a PM to JD in order to tell him your problem

Que le envies todo esto en un mensaje privado, leñe >__<

Saturday night all we are staying at the same place (the venue)? Cuz I don't have problems in spend all the night in freeplays : D

Catharsis

Smash Apprentice
Ok, so I hope that Saturday night I could meet a lot of smashers in the freeplays : D

And, about the language problem... if I wanna play in a freeplay TV I only have to say "Who's the last" and wait, isn't it?

Joanna Dark

Smash Ace
lol catharsis you really have no tournament experience ?
well, considering that there will be at least 50 TVs, you shouldn't have any trouble to play when you want to !
most people will speak english anyway (there'll be a 100 frenchies and a 100 foreigners approximately lol XD). if you ask a frenchie who doesn't speak english, he'll either be scared and let you play, or let you play with him cuz you're a foreigner XD.
my point is : you'll have no trouble to play a lot against many people.
especially when there'll be some events like crews, a lot of people will be behind only one TV and many TVs will be free :)

Catharsis

Smash Apprentice
No, I don't have any international tournament experience... And I don't know if all is the same as Spanish tournaments.

No one of the US or Japanese smashers booked yet : (

Yuna: I already have a teammate, but I can search a Spanish teammate for you. Take my MSN: Junjos@hotmail.com

you tell me your main and show me a video or something and I pass you videos of smashers without a team to show you their level.

Luma

Smash Lord
no offense but i think yuna is a bit too good for u spains

btw yuna why dont u just team with charles? just asking ^^

peyudosmith

Smash Journeyman
Luma, you are underestimating something you don't even know. you shouldn't do such a thing, you could be owned later.

ivootjes(nr18)

Smash Lord
Luma, you are underestimating something you don't even know. you shouldn't do such a thing, you could be owned later.
I'm quitte sure that a country without experience in europe is going to be owned pretty badly. Experience is quitte important. No offense intended.

But i would like to make a side bet and say no spanish smasher is going to make it in the top 32. 10 euro?

Cort

Apple Head
I was born in Poland. PC is half Polish too ^^

I have all of my things, but I'm still relying on PC to buy the tickets/get his passport

A-D

Smash Journeyman
Ah I see.. so if he can't make it you won't be here :O same goes for Spawn wright? ..I see

I'm quitte sure that a country without experience in europe is going to be owned pretty badly. Experience is quitte important. No offense intended.

But i would like to make a side bet and say no spanish smasher is going to make it in the top 32. 10 euro?
lol Ivo...Your forgetting that we have the best spanish player here in holland whos pretty good ya know ;) Who most likely be able to get to the top 32
so be carefull what ya betting on ^^

peyudosmith

Smash Journeyman
Ivo, we're gonna see what spanish smashers can do at the tourney and then you go and speak about it. I say to you the same thing I said to Luma.
I bet at least 5 spanish smashers coming to Paris are gonna crush you in a best-of-3 match :D :D

And I'm pretty sure that more than one spanish smasher is going to make it in the top 32.

pd: a spanish smasher living in holland? who?

Luffy Dahean

Smash Apprentice

I think that Over and me could easily get top 32 ^^'

But please, stop understimating us in your post.

Catharsis

Smash Apprentice
ivootjes and Dahean made a bet. Now is official.
10 euros. A Spanish Smasher could arrive to the top32 of Epita? I can't asure it, but I have to be a good patriot and trust in Dahean and Over. God knows that they are very good Smashers.
I don't have international tournament experience, so I gonna practise to pass the first pool, as a first goal : P

A-D

Smash Journeyman
DAyummmn Here's that OVer name again dudez got2 be the shiz being better in edgeguarding than Amsah and all O_o

And
Peyudosmith: i'm talking about . Zgetto
Let me guess..your last name probably is rodriguez too wright^^
like 'ALMOST' every spaniard:p

Joanna Dark

Smash Ace
haha I knew it would come to this...
For the first time, spanish smashers are going to face Europe... almost everyone LOL it's incredible !
This means, dear spanish smashers, that you (and not the rest of the european community) have to prove yourselves at this tournament.
If you guys are really good, it's great to know that you can now travel outside your country ! and in any case, you should keep this up and keep coming to tournaments all over Europe :)

peyudosmith

Smash Journeyman
DAyummmn Here's that OVer name again dudez got2 be the shiz being better in edgeguarding than Amsah and all O_o

And
Peyudosmith: i'm talking about . Zgetto
Let me guess..your last name probably is rodriguez too wright^^
like 'ALMOST' every spaniard:p
I can't say if Over guards the ledge like Amsah, but he guards it freakingly awesome dude.

I didn't know Zgetto is spanish. Then he would play with us in regionals? :D :D

just kidding...

pd: my surname is Martinez and yours is probably Van Dijk, Van Nistelrooyj, Van Pollas or whatever like every dutch.

Coen

BRoomer
BRoomer
I challenge ever single Spaniard (not fake spaniards like Zgetgay) to a 5€ MM ^____^

LOL @ ps: Adam doesn't have a Dutch background so I doubt his surname is anything Dutch xD

Vegard

Smash Lord
I hope the Spanish guys will **** at this tournament.. They don't make a big number out of them selves, but the Dutch guys are still laughing at them. Wtf? We know nothing about their skill level yet.

Like for instance Mexico. Rob$ (former American pro smasher) went there to attend a tournament, and he got beat by several good players there. So there's no need to judge these guys only because they don't have the same experience as you. After all, there are maybe 2-3 European tournaments a year. Except for that, we only play within our own community. The big international tournament rarely happens in Europe anyway, then how much could it matter?

And I hope the underdogs will do well at this tournament =)

Top Bottom