• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

End of the Year, Beginning of the New Era~Ann Arbor MI 12-11-10

Sumer

Smash Ace
If we were to ban japes then we'd be banning Brinstar too.
If you ban Brinstar vs MK he takes you to RC

If you ban halberd vs Snake he takes you to FD

If you ban japes vs Falco he takes you to FD

Using your logic to ban Brinstar for MK would only be fair to ban Halberd for Snakes. All of the top tiers have more than one stage they do well on. Just because Falco users are upset because one of the stages they do well on is banned at 95% of tourneys doesn't mean they should ban stages that are legal at 99% of tourneys to be "fair" or to get back at the other top tiers. If you NEED to cp someone to japes to take a game from a set, odds are you're gonna be losing on the neutral and their cp as well if you can only win on a banned stage (if you win there). No point in having a better player risk losing a set due to an illegal stage being legal when they're more than likely to win a set on all neutrals due to being more skilled.

Roller

Smash Legend

Using your logic to ban Brinstar for MK would only be fair to ban Halberd for Snakes. All of the top tiers have more than one stage they do well on. Just because Falco users are upset because one of the stages they do well on is banned at 95% of tourneys doesn't mean they should ban stages that are legal at 99% of tourneys to be "fair" or to get back at the other top tiers. If you NEED to cp someone to japes to take a game from a set, odds are you're gonna be losing on the neutral and their cp as well if you can only win on a banned stage (if you win there). No point in having a better player risk losing a set due to an illegal stage being legal when they're more than likely to win a set on all neutrals due to being more skilled.
First of all Halberd isn't even close to being to snake, what brin is to mk and a few others. Second, if you think Japes is a more absurd stage than brinstar... you are nuts. Third, YOu were the one who asked for Japes to be banned, so according to your own logic, you just want to **** over falcos, while not inhibiting the other top tiers. I gotcha.

Fourth, we aren't gonna be changing the stagelist at all, so everyone drop it.

tl;dr: Read "Fourth,"

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
I vote we ban *insert stage here*. It greatly boosts the advantage of *insert top tier character here* while screwing over everyone else. So to be fair we should get rid of*insert stage here*.

Except Pictochat :awesome:

Sumer

Smash Ace
First of all Halberd isn't even close to being to snake, what brin is to mk and a few others. Second, if you think Japes is a more absurd stage than brinstar... you are nuts. Third, YOu were the one who asked for Japes to be banned, so according to your own logic, you just want to **** over falcos, while not inhibiting the other top tiers. I gotcha.

Fourth, we aren't gonna be changing the stagelist at all, so everyone drop it.

tl;dr: Read "Fourth,"
I wasn't comparing anyone of the stages and how well characters perform on them, I was simply stating that all of the top tiers have multiple stages they can perform well on, unfortunately for Falco, one of the stages he performs well on is normally illegal at most tourneys (Even MLG..), but he can still perform well without this stage. You're making japes legal only to make it more "fair" for Falco users, but this makes it unfair to everyone who doesn't use him. It sucks that the other top tiers have more stages to pick from that are actually legal, but Falco can do fine without having to cp a stupid stage and win. Pretty sure that's called skill or something. Also, regarding not changing the stage list, as a TO it's your job to make the tourney how the participants want it, not how you want it, and to not even considering banning a stage that other people have already stated being stupid after myself isn't the best way to start off a TO career. o.e

Roller

Smash Legend
I wasn't comparing anyone of the stages and how well characters perform on them, I was simply stating that all of the top tiers have multiple stages they can perform well on, unfortunately for Falco, one of the stages he performs well on is normally illegal at most tourneys (Even MLG..), but he can still perform well without this stage. You're making japes legal only to make it more "fair" for Falco users, but this makes it unfair to everyone who doesn't use him. It sucks that the other top tiers have more stages to pick from that are actually legal, but Falco can do fine without having to cp a stupid stage and win. Pretty sure that's called skill or something. Also, regarding not changing the stage list, as a TO it's your job to make the tourney how the participants want it, not how you want it, and to not even considering banning a stage that other people have already stated being stupid after myself isn't the best way to start off a TO career. o.e

Seriously though, Tutu and I discussed this issue, and asked a few other people (mainly EL and AA guys) about it. And the people we talked to didn't really care much. I personally don't have strong leanings either way. Talk to Tutu, if you can get him to consider it, then we'll see.

Sumer

Smash Ace
Eh, I really don't care. o.e All I'm saying is it SHOULD be banned, I'm not going to make you ban it. Hopefully we can get an official MI stage list for tourneys that will most likely not include Japes as a legal stage so MI tourneys can be like other tourneys around the country.

lordhelmet

Smash Master
Japes should be banned. However, Tutu is hosting so he can choose whatever the hell he wants.

If I were hosting I'd have my best CP legal, too.

Tewx2

Smash Ace
MK on RC is gayer than Falco on FD

FD isn't a snake CP

The reason Japes is legal is because we see no issue with this, and we don't find Japes to be a worse stage than Brinstar.

Using your logic to ban Brinstar for MK would only be fair to ban Halberd for Snakes. All of the top tiers have more than one stage they do well on.
Falco does well on FD, MK has a guaranteed win on 95% of the cast on brinstar /Rainbow Cruise.

Just because Falco users are upset because one of the stages they do well on is banned at 95% of tourneys doesn't mean they should ban stages that are legal at 99% of tourneys to be "fair" or to get back at the other top tiers.
First off "being mad" isn't a reason that Japes is legal, or why if we banned japes we'd ban brinstar. We feel that Brinstar as a stage is just as if not more janky/legal/fair of a stage as Japes.

If you NEED to cp someone to japes to take a game from a set, odds are you're gonna be losing on the neutral and their cp as well if you can only win on a banned stage (if you win there). No point in having a better player risk losing a set due to an illegal stage being legal when they're more than likely to win a set on all neutrals due to being more skilled.
A set on all neutrals would mean Brinstar and Cruise aren't legal as well, and like we've previously stated if we ban japes we'd take at least Brinstar with it. In fact I would love to run a tourny where only neutrals are allowed but that is bad for the players that travel OoS because they get less experience.

If you don't like the stage list feel free to not come. Feel free to host your own tournament with your own stage list, that's part of being a T.O. The BBR gives a recommended rule set, however it's up to the T.O which rules/stages to use and which to not use/ignore.

You have other points that I'm not gonna bother responding to (in depth) mainly because none of them have anything to do with why Japes should be illegal. You've stressed the point "that on the standard stage list Japes isn't legal" however I disagree with that standard so using that as evidence in why Japes should be legal is a waste of my and your time.

Every once in a while you add in a "QQ Japes is a bad stage" line but that's not an argument.

Sumer

Smash Ace
Eh, I really don't care. o.e All I'm saying is it SHOULD be banned, I'm not going to make you ban it. Hopefully we can get an official MI stage list for tourneys that will most likely not include Japes as a legal stage so MI tourneys can be like other tourneys around the country.

L_Cancel

Smash Champion
Idk, not every tourney has japes legal but several large notable tourney series/scenes do. It's legal at the upcoming Whobo3 in Texas. It was legal at the recent KTAR3 in NJ. It's been legal in numerous MW tournies. Saying japes is banned at 95% of tournies is a gross exaggeration. For the most part the stagelist is fairly liberal, and as long as we have other stages like Brinstar and RC on, I see no reason to take Japes off. o:

Tewx2

Smash Ace
Btw in Mid tiers port town aero drive is legal.

G@M sons

I'm considering Overswarming custom stages as well ;D

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
You have to officially integrate the thread into the new tourney listings format in order to get the colored Brawl/Melee/64 tag at the front. Someone step it up.

TOPIX

Smash Apprentice
Seeing as how I probably won't have a problem getting to the venue this time around, I don't think I'll have a problem at all going to this.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Look at this guy, teaming with another snake. Doesn't even matter. Let me tell you all about how me and Oblivion will be stealing doubles.
We going D3/Snake son. Get d-throwed into Rocket Launcher son XD

I'll try to make it to this.

Just to exact my revenge on TC!!

OH...I am VERY much looking forward to this!

Sparta Kick

Smash Ace
Why is it that the payouts for over 20 people decreases the amount 1st and 2nd get, but increases the amount for 3rd? ... that never made sense to me.

Tewx2

Smash Ace
Because 3rd actually means something, and melee is still being run. I just don't know how to edit the title.

Top Bottom