• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elma for Smash Ultimate: Strength comes from experience. That’s true on any planet.

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
Hello, what’s this...?

Ok this favours Elma for sure, because I believe Anime wise, she most of the time voices sidecharacters or protagonists from incredible niché series.

Fire Emblem is also out, because she only voiced Mathilda from Echoes

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Hello, what’s this...?

Wasn't this already brought up here? And how it doesn't seem too likely that this is for Smash, because if that were the case, why would she need to audition?
But that aside, I really don't understand the wording of that initial tweet. "A character you voice is the reference"? What's that supposed to mean? And I don't mean that as in "what she's hinting at there", I mean it more in the way of "what are these words together meant to say"?

Ok this favours Elma for sure, because I believe Anime wise, she most of the time voices sidecharacters or protagonists from incredible niché series.

Fire Emblem is also out, because she only voiced Mathilda from Echoes
I mean, she did voice Winry from Fullmetal Alchemist, which isn't exactly niché. But yeah, other than that, Fire Emblem is most likely out, since the cast for Three Houses was apparently already decided.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Wasn't this already brought up here? And how it doesn't seem too likely that this is for Smash, because if that were the case, why would she need to audition?

I mean, she did voice Winry from Fullmetal Alchemist, which isn't exactly niché. But yeah, other than that, Fire Emblem is most likely out, since the cast for Three Houses was apparently already decided.
But that aside, I really don't understand the wording of that initial tweet. "A character you voice is the reference"? What's that supposed to mean? And I don't mean that as in "what she's hinting at there", I mean it more in the way of "what are these words together meant to say"?
When an English voice actor tries out for a part, often they use previous roles or characters to give people some minor character and voice direction, alongside a description of the character. This allows the actor to get into character and the director has a clearer vision of what they want to see from the character.

Caitlin went in for an audition that was set up by her agent, presumably because the party didn't know if they wanted to keep the same actor OR it's for a brand new character, and on the audition sheet or demo reel, one of her parts was used as a direction example.

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee

Well does Fullmetal Alchemist get special stuff next year, because the only Anime series at the top of my head that have mainstream popularity and will get a new season next year or movie are Code Geass, Attack On Titan, the second Heavens Feel Movie, One Punch man(although not sure on it) and My Hero Academia, so does she voice any characters there in dubs?

Izayoi

zzz
NNID
iza-tomato
...There's still no music from XCX found in the game so far, right? Even though there's Spirit Battles.

[Maple]

Smash Journeyman
"A character you voice is the reference"
Well does Fullmetal Alchemist get special stuff next year, because the only Anime series at the top of my head that have mainstream popularity and will get a new season next year or movie are Code Geass, Attack On Titan, the second Heavens Feel Movie, One Punch man(although not sure on it) and My Hero Academia, so does she voice any characters there in dubs?
For Attack on Titan she is the voice of Petra
and she is dead so its not a problem

For My Hero Academia she is the voice of Mina Ashido an "important" character.
For the rest I don't know, I am not an anime guy myself.

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
When an English voice actor tries out for a part, often they use previous roles or characters to give people some minor character and voice direction, alongside a description of the character. This allows the actor to get into character and the director has a clearer vision of what they want to see from the character.

Caitlin went in for an audition that was set up by her agent, presumably because the party didn't know if they wanted to keep the same actor OR it's for a brand new character, and on the audition sheet or demo reel, one of her parts was used as a direction example.
Ohhh, interesting! That definitely is promising, then.

Well does Fullmetal Alchemist get special stuff next year?
Nope, not to my knowledge. Outside of new adaptations, that series is done, anyway, so it's unlikely that they'd be dubbing anything for that.

...There's still no music from XCX found in the game so far, right? Even though there's Spirit Battles.
We can't be 100% certain yet, but it very much seems that way. We have footage of a Spirit battle with Lin, and the Xenoblade Medley from Smash 4 plays for that one instead of any song from X.

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
Seeing that tweet from Ms. Glass' Twitter DOES raise some hopes up, but at the same time I don't want to go to "that level" and start dissecting every little thing she tweets as stuff relating to Elma's inclusion nor do I want to start harrassing her about it (and knowing how these NDAs work, she'll likely just ignore such questions). For all we know, it could very well be just another anime/video game role.

On the flip side, considering how many months (sometimes years depending on the work) in advance VAs record their lines BEFORE they get the go signal to confirm what they're voicing: If Elma DOES get in, who is to say she recorded her lines around the same time she recorded for Elma's XC2 DLC appearance? Again it depends on whether the DLC choices were finalized way back when her DLC came out, but with the new tweet explaining Nintendo's role; it's unlikely. There's also of course the odds that Nintendo choosing the characters ruin her chance (especially if the characters are picked for advertising purposes), since it doesn't seem like anything X-related (a port, sequel, etc.) is coming out anytime soon.

Yeah while I do hope Ms. Glass' tweet means something (especially if she goes as far as to say she's under NDA, and probably knows how much of a big deal Smash is), don't take it as a fact and get hopes up TOO high.

Last edited:

jamesster445

Smash Lord
Hello, what’s this...?

Take it with a grain of salt.

I remember David Vincent was Called in for Smash 4 he was told it was specifically for Robin. They only told it was Smash Bros once he was there. But he knew he was there for Robin, but even he thought it was specifically for Fire Emblem. Here it sounds like Caitlin was referencing another role, but not necessarily reprising it.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Take it with a grain of salt.

I remember David Vincent was Called in for Smash 4 he was told it was specifically for Robin. They only told it was Smash Bros once he was there. But he knew he was there for Robin, but even he thought it was specifically for Fire Emblem. Here it sounds like Caitlin was referencing another role, but not necessarily reprising it.
Counterpoint: Adam Howden seemed to know perfectly well what was up when he was called in to voice Shulk in Smash 4, and he did make vague points about it. And between Shulk and Robin, I think it should be obvious which one is in a more similar situation to Elma.

jamesster445

Smash Lord
Counterpoint: Adam Howden seemed to know perfectly well what was up when he was called in to voice Shulk in Smash 4, and he did make vague points about it. And between Shulk and Robin, I think it should be obvious which one is in a more similar situation to Elma.
By any chance do you have the source for this? I'd be interested in reading/listening to it if you don't mind.

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
*activates mimeosome*

I'm back! This thread grew over 15 supporters since the beginning of the month. Let's keep on expanding BLADE!

D

Deleted member

So regarding the VA thing couldn't it be possible that she was called in for an entirely new role and it turned out that one of her references was Mina or Elma or some other character she voices? It doesn't NECESSARILY have to be her auditioning for a character she already voices. Do we know if she re-auditioned when voicing Elma for XC2 DLC? Still, I'm gonna stay cautiously optimistic on her chances

Last edited by a moderator:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
By any chance do you have the source for this? I'd be interested in reading/listening to it if you don't mind.
That'd be this one.

This thread grew over 15 supporters since the beginning of the month.
This story never truly ends. . .
I like using that line way too much now

The Elma/KOS-MOS support threads are interchangeable. :secretkpop:

I for one support our older Xeno-sister.
Does that interchangability also include Mechon!Fiora?

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Yeah, there's nothing saying she's trying out for the same role, just that one of her previous roles was used as the point of reference and she just so happened to score the audition and part. This doesn't mean it's Elma or another part she used to have, but it is cool.
That interchangability also include Mechon!Fiora?
It does for me dangit, Fiora is so cool.

I think it includes most Xeno reps, even if some of us are...less than supportive of, say, Rex. ;)

D

Deleted member

Yeah, there's nothing saying she's trying out for the same role, just that one of her previous roles was used as the point of reference and she just so happened to score the audition and part. This doesn't mean it's Elma or another part she used to have, but it is cool.

It does for me dangit, Fiora is so cool.

I think it includes most Xeno reps, even if some of us are...less than supportive of, say, Rex. ;)
**** fiora, **** kos-mos, **** elma, **** rex, the ONLY valid xeno rep is FEI TIME BAYBEE LETS GO

also zeke from XC2 would unironically be hella cool he already has a smash moveset built into his arts and morag is a pipe dream of mine she's so ****ing cool and tied for my favorite xenoblade character of all time based off cool factor alone

Last edited by a moderator:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
**** fiora, **** kos-mos, **** elma, **** rex, the ONLY valid xeno rep is FEI TIME BAYBEE LETS GO

also zeke from XC2 would unironically be hella cool he already has a smash moveset built into his arts and morag is a pipe dream of mine she's so ****ing cool and tied for my favorite xenoblade character of all time based off cool factor alone
My pipe dream Xeno is KOS-MOS, but I'm not gonna lie I love Lora and Jin so much already and if we are going way back Bart Fatima from Xenogears was my anime crush when I was a kid.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Lol, if Xenogears can’t be in Xenoblade 2 and Final Fantasy can only get a measly two original compositions with no Spirits, I think we can kiss Fei goodbye.

D

Deleted member

My pipe dream Xeno is KOS-MOS, but I'm not gonna lie I love Lora and Jin so much already and if we are going way back Bart Fatima from Xenogears was my anime crush when I was a kid.
I've never played Xenogears/saga (just like memeing about them and KOS-MOS is a kickass blade in XC2) but I just searched up Bart Fatima and

Hot
****ing
DAMN

I can see why you had a crush on him

aarchak

Smash Ace
Lol, if Xenogears can’t be in Xenoblade 2 and Final Fantasy can only get a measly two original compositions with no Spirits, I think we can kiss Fei goodbye.
Listen, we can always hope. It probably won't work out in the end, but we can always hope.

[Maple]

Smash Journeyman
So regarding the VA thing couldn't it be possible that she was called in for an entirely new role and it turned out that one of her references was Mina or Elma or some other character she voices? It doesn't NECESSARILY have to be her auditioning for a character she already voices. Do we know if she re-auditioned when voicing Elma for XC2 DLC? Still, I'm gonna stay cautiously optimistic on her chances
That's interesting. Her tweet doesn't imply that she re-auditioned for the same role. Don't forget she works (or worked I don't know) at Funimation, these guys probably use scripts from a lot of animes during the auditions.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I think it'd be wise to remember Soraya Saga's tweet about not reading too much into tweets/retweets,

Izayoi

zzz
NNID
iza-tomato
The apparent lack of XCX music is quite jarring, though. Like, not even original tracks added. Was licensing that much of a hassle? Is XCX really an underdog of a game that nobody in the Smash dev team pitched in to include even just one track, or ask Sawano for licensing?

If so, is that seriously how it'll end up for this series? Underrepresented despite all it's actually achieved over recent years...

Calamitas

Smash Champion
I think it'd be wise to remember Soraya Saga's tweet about not reading too much into tweets/retweets,
You mean just how people shouldn't have read too much into that one one Adam Howden tweet in 2014? Look, I'm not saying we should go all-out by proclaiming that this essentially Elma's confirmation, but either way, it could still mean something.

Unrelated to that, it seems like Hitagi went back on all statements they made about DLC. If this means we'll get at least a while of silence from the leakers with questionable credibility.

The apparent lack of XCX music is quite jarring, though. Like, not even original tracks added. Was licensing that much of a hassle? Is XCX really an underdog of a game that nobody in the Smash dev team pitched in to include even just one track, or ask Sawano for licensing?

If so, is that seriously how it'll end up for this series? Underrepresented despite all it's actually achieved over recent years...
No kidding. If Earthbound can have music from all three of its games, why can't Xenoblade?

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
Any footage of the Elma Spirit fight guys? All I know she's represented by Bayonetta in Gaur Plain
seeing how Lin's doesn't use any music from X I wonder if Elma's would use

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Any footage of the Elma Spirit fight guys? All I know she's represented by Bayonetta in Gaur Plain
seeing how Lin's doesn't use any music from X I wonder if Elma's would use
Probably wouldn’t either. Elma’s Spirit would probably use YWKON or something

Suspicious indeed

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
So yeah with Hitagi backpedalling like crazy with his/her DLC leaks, its safe to say spirits don't deconfirm characters(unless we get real concrete proof from Sakurai) and the DLC could not be a 3rd party fest.
So I feel first party characters in general are back in the running.

Izayoi

zzz
NNID
iza-tomato
So, is it fair to believe that fake leaks are being thrown out by Nintendo in order to lead leakers onto less credibility?

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
Yeah. I don't think they're messing around any more. There's no way we're gonna get another DLC leak like with Smash 4.

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
So, is it fair to believe that fake leaks are being thrown out by Nintendo in order to lead leakers onto less credibility?
The only "reliable" leaker for this Smash is Vergeben anyway. The only reason Hitagi took off, was that Vergeben said he heard something similair, but not going completely all in on Hitagi's claims

Calamitas

Smash Champion
So, something minor but nonetheless good to hear: Alpharad, a sorta Smash-focussed YouTuber made a video about likely DLC fighters, and put Elma as one of the likely ones. Hey, it's some acknowledgement.

Even if his opinion on X is bad as is his music choice for this segment as well opinion of 2

Wisehunter

Smash Apprentice
I think Nintendo should ask for Panic Button to help porting xenoblade x for the switch. They are probably up to the challenge.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I apologise if this take is too spicy but man, I'm really not into the combat in Torna. It was my least favorite part of X as well but it felt weightier and made slightly more sense to me in that game, i guess. Maybe I just need to get back into the rhythm of it all but it seems weirdly unintuitive and as nice as Switching is the whole auto attack system is...weird. I don't know. The aesthetic is lovely, though, and I'm very into the world and the characters too. Addam is quickly becoming a favorite because of his voice.

It's nice also to see that Elma acknowledgement from a guy with a ton of subs. I also like that Joker placed so highly on his wants. Shame his X opinion is WRONG.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So people are supposedly data mining early copies or something and they’re saying there is no X music whatsoever in base...make of that what you will.

do however let me know if like Fiora’s model in Shulk’s Final Smash has like alternate palettes or something like how Chrom’s FS model will depending on the playable variant’s on field palette

Top Bottom