• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elma for Smash Ultimate: Strength comes from experience. That’s true on any planet.

D

Deleted member

I just realized Elma is 29. Damn she’s almost 30...

Anyways, on topic. XCX has no music in Smash. Now I don’t know if it’s a good thing because it could mean that Sakurai just didn’t care about X... BUT, the fact that we don’t have any X songs when 2 did is definitely eye browing, and could be the result of an Elma Set later on.

I say that we’re still going strong. Of course, if Elma wasn’t a spirit then we’d be even better than before. But at this point, with how many spirits that are apparently popping that could well go into the thousands, I think they know that if they left someone like Elma out, it would definitely garner a lot of attention. Sakurai and Nintendo even admitted at how fans are able to piece together a lot of things.
Xenoblade is weird with ages

Elma can be excused because she's an alien and her human form is a mim (which can pass as 30 anyways)

but Lora is 27 years old! 27!
lora reference.png
Does this look like a grown-ass woman to you!? And that would mean she's 2 years older then Zeke, who looks like a 30 year old dude:
zeke reference.png

anime is weird

Calamitas

Smash Champion
D

Deleted member

So, not really too relevant to us, but there's evidence of a character being cut from Ultimate's newcomer line-up. Something to keep an eye out, I feel, once we get more insight into the game's files beyond music.

Let's be honest, she's probably even older than that. Maybe the age of 29 refers to the point in time when she came to Earth? Either way, she's most likely much older than that, too.
Do we know if that cut character slot isn't Plant's slot that was pushed back for DLC?

I'm gonna be real I just turned 27 and like, Lora in-game doesn't seem not 27, same with Elma.
Lora doesn't look a day older then 17-18 IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:

Izayoi

zzz
NNID
iza-tomato
Do we know if that cut character slot isn't Plant's slot that was pushed back for DLC?
I have a huge feeling it is. They put less priority on Plant knowing nobody would really be excited for it, but Sakurai still wanted to make it a character.

D

Deleted member

I have a huge feeling it is. They put less priority on Plant knowing nobody would really be excited for it, but Sakurai still wanted to make it a character.
The fact that Plant will be released so early and be free for early adopters makes it seem like it simply took too much time on the base roster so they pushed it back a couple months. There's no way they planned for it to be DLC all along.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Bad news, guys...

Tatsu got deconfirmed. I know we were all banking on the leader of Team Tatsu making it in, so if anyone wants to join me in boycotting the game until he's added I would be greatly appreciative.

D

Deleted member

Bad news, guys...

Tatsu got deconfirmed. I know we were all banking on the leader of Team Tatsu making it in, so if anyone wants to join me in boycotting the game until he's added I would be greatly appreciative.
Well actually Spirits don't deconfirm characters and Tatsu has soooo much going for him. He's the most likely Xeno rep, and to not believe he's basically a lock is to be purposefully obtuse

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Bad news, guys...

I'm more pissed that they made him a Novice Spirit, tbh. He deserves to be Legend!

[Maple]

Smash Journeyman
The lack of X tracks is the best worst thing. Yes Elma seems more possible, but if she not makes it we will only have spirits as X representation.

I'm listening tracks and jeez the soundtrack of Ultimate is going to be crazy!

Izayoi

zzz
NNID
iza-tomato
Yeah. The lack of X tracks is REALLY bothersome. Like, if we don't get an X character for DLC that means we won't ever get to listen to head banging tracks while Smashing our friends...!

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Yeah. The lack of X tracks is REALLY bothersome. Like, if we don't get an X character for DLC that means we won't ever get to listen to head banging tracks while Smashing our friends...!
You... Might want to reword that last bit...

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
That still seems unlikely, unless there are some licensing issues that Sawano's music has. I haven't seen any solid evidence that X music would be difficult to get, so I feel like that's not the case.

Again, we still don't have answers for the mech that Sakurai bought, Sawano's secret project, and (potentially) all the Tweets from Caitlin Glass. The only thing that Elma really has going against her is the fact that she's a spirit, if you think they deconfirm characters. Which, I highly doubt for obvious reasons.

Phoebe3315

Smash Apprentice
I guess the next question we should be asking is: How many Xenoblade X spirits are there? We've seen a skell, Elma, Lin, and Tatsu. Next most important is probably Lao. But I'm wondering if even relatively minor characters are spirits, such as Hope or Yelv. The more X appreciation shown, the harder it'll be to believe they decided not to include any music from the game. Also, if they wanted to represent a bunch of the characters in X as spirits considering how large the cast is, leaving Elma out would be far too glaring and practically confirm her for DLC in many people's eyes. Leaving Cross out might not be as glaring just because he's so much of a self-insert...but depending on how many XCX spirits there are, it could mean something.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
We knew about the XB2 songs already (and none of them are remixes) so this just proves no X music was added.

aarchak

Smash Ace
Why does Street Fighter have more songs than Xenoblade? Like I know it's a way bigger series but it's a third-party, and it has little Nintendo history. Street Fighter is mainly a PC/PS4 series now, like most fighting games.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Why does Street Fighter have more songs than Xenoblade? Like I know it's a way bigger series but it's a third-party, and it has little Nintendo history. Street Fighter is mainly a PC/PS4 series now, like most fighting games.
Hey man, SF2 was a BIG DEAL for the Super Nintendo, and SF4 was a launch title for the 3DS. Don't be so quick to judge.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
To be fair, the only 3rd party franchise that doesn't have more songs than Xenoblade is Final Fantasy (who has 2).
Xenoblade has the same number of songs as Metal Gear and Bayonetta and less than Pac-Man.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Does Xenoblade X's music require licensing from Hiroyuki Sawano? It is extremely odd there is no music for Xenoblade X there when even the likes of Codename STEAM has four music tracks in Ultimate. What excuse could there be that a game two years older than Xenoblade 2 has no music tracks, while Xenoblade 2 has three tracks?

aarchak

Smash Ace
Hey man, SF2 was a BIG DEAL for the Super Nintendo, and SF4 was a launch title for the 3DS. Don't be so quick to judge.
Sorry, I'm not trying to hate on Street Fighter (I quite like the series), but I'm just a little salty about the lack of songs for Xenoblade, a first-party title, compared to like every third party (except for FF), I just picked SF on a whim. Hopefully Elma gets in and brings some songs with her.

Phoebe3315

Smash Apprentice
Does Xenoblade X's music require licensing from Hiroyuki Sawano? It is extremely odd there is no music for Xenoblade X there when even the likes of Codename STEAM has four music tracks in Ultimate. What excuse could there be that a game two years older than Xenoblade 2 has no music tracks, while Xenoblade 2 has three tracks?
Well one excuse could be to save it for DLC since it would fit best on a Mira-themed stage... I can't really think of another excuse other than maybe Sakurai didn't think X's music fit the game and none of the composers he hired chose to remix any of it. While the music may require licensing from Sawano, I highly doubt he would refuse to let them use it.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
Question: In the Direct, did we see more songs from XC2 than the ones that have been datamined?

Also, is there any way to be able to tell yet who the credited composers are for each song? Because we still have absolutely no idea what remix(es) Sawano composed for the game (assuming that studio session was for Ultimate)

D

Deleted member

Question: In the Direct, did we see more songs from XC2 than the ones that have been datamined?

Also, is there any way to be able to tell yet who the credited composers are for each song? Because we still have absolutely no idea what remix(es) Sawano composed for the game (assuming that studio session was for Ultimate)
Nope, we just saw the three in the direct that were also just datamined. That's all there is for new Xenoblade songs atm

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
To be fair... those Codename Steam songs are a remix (Trouble Brewing II) and three unedited tracks that were originally FE remixes, associated with the amiibo characters. ...So they basically used Codename Steam as a trojan horse to add even more FE remixes. As a Codename Steam fan I'm less than chuffed about that.

FrostShock

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClockworkWizard
Well that makes two pieces of good news (for me, at least).

1. As discussed, a lack of X music could, potentially, be indicative of Sakurai wanting to save it for an Elma reveal.

And 2.
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GOLDEN FOREST IS BACK! Kinda sucks there's no Dance! or Vacant Lives, but I'll take whatever 1080 I can get.

Oh uh, Sakurai, if you're feeling generous, a Ricky or Akari spirit wouldn't go unnoticed.

Last edited:

Abade

Smash Apprentice
Apparently, 30 Placeholder Character ID's may have been discovered. Or 29 slots, or Piranha Plant could be taking one of these slots that drops down to 29 vacant slots.
It doesn't necessarily mean that all of these files will be used, but it at least possibly shows that Sakurai, Sora, Nintendo, Bandai Namco, the developers, etc are at least open to the idea of more than one fighter pack.

I doubt Elma is big enough to warrant 30 character ID's unlike Ridley, only at least one or two should be enough.
Here's a mock-up.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Someone is currently datamining the game to look up all Spirits. I'm keeping an eye out for the other XCX spirits, will report back in spoilers what I find.

Edit: And the Spirits we don't know about yet are
Lao Huang and literally no-one else, oops no X content

EDIT EDIT: Xenoblade X isn't even listed as a title in the game's directory, it has Xenoblade and Xenoblade 2 but no X. And the game bothers including every other game that got content except X like every Castlevania and Fire Emblem game. What the ****

Last edited:

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
Well if the datamines are to believed, Square Enix is super stingy with their content(Cloud isn't even playable in world of light apparently) and Sawano is a high profile composer in Japan, so it would not be farfetched they didn't have the time to negotiate with Sawano or he was to costly for base, because I feel Square Enix was real handful for Sakurai. Also I feel this could destroy Vergeben to, because why would Sakurai and Nintendo want to deal with Square Enix again after this.

I forgot who said it, but the reason Street Fighter, Mega Man and Castlevania have so much songs, is "Sakurai bias", because he does have a soft spot for those series (as a teenager/young adult he played Streetfighter competive in arcades) and Castlevania is huge in Japan if I recall right.

Mega Man is Mega Man nuff said and imo he is the 3rd party that I feel is almost a Nintendo character, because of his roots.

Capcom also feels like the most chill 3rd party company, like I feel they gave Sakurai the most freedom with their IP's

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
If Sawano is expensive or difficult to license I do wonder if that means they might make a XCX character as DLC not because the character couldn't be included in base game, but because the DLC means they can pay Sawano a share of each sale. I can't see that being the case when he was fine with his stuff being reused in XB2 but who knows.

Of course if you believe the "Spirits can't be fighters" theory that means we'd end up with Cross, which would probably be the most baffling thing since Pirahna Plant. Sawano music and the avatar from the least popular Xenoblade game would certainly be a divisive DLC pack.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Someone is currently datamining the game to look up all Spirits. I'm keeping an eye out for the other XCX spirits, will report back in spoilers what I find.

Edit: And the Spirits we don't know about yet are
Lao Huang and literally no-one else, oops no X content

EDIT EDIT: Xenoblade X isn't even listed as a title in the game's directory, it has Xenoblade and Xenoblade 2 but no X. And the game bothers including every other game that got content except X like every Castlevania and Fire Emblem game. What the ****
What the hell. . .
If after all this we don't get a DLC fighter from X, it's gonna be extremely obvious that there's some bias going on.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Well if the datamines are to believed, Square Enix is super stingy with their content(Cloud isn't even playable in world of light apparently) and Sawano is a high profile composer in Japan, so it would not be farfetched they didn't have the time to negotiate with Sawano or he was to costly for base, because I feel Square Enix was real handful for Sakurai. Also I feel this could destroy Vergeben to, because why would Sakurai and Nintendo want to deal with Square Enix again after this.

I forgot who said it, but the reason Street Fighter, Mega Man and Castlevania have so much songs, is "Sakurai bias", because he does have a soft spot for those series (as a teenager/young adult he played Streetfighter competive in arcades) and Castlevania is huge in Japan if I recall right.

Mega Man is Mega Man nuff said and imo he is the 3rd party that I feel is almost a Nintendo character, because of his roots.

Capcom also feels like the most chill 3rd party company, like I feel they gave Sakurai the most freedom with their IP's
I don't think that negotiations had to be made with Sawano himself. I don't know how him and Nintendo made their contract, but if they managed to get his work for XC2 I don't see why they couldn't for Ultimate.

Castlevania actually is smaller compared to the West, but Sakurai did stated that the first Catslevania game, alongside the forst Legend of Zelda, had a big imoact on him as a game designer. Plus Castlevania's soundtrack is godlike so many composers probably wanted to remix those amazing tunes.

I would say that Capcom and Konami were the most open minded. Both companies have 3 series in Smash (Mega Man, Street Fighter and Monster Hunter; Metal Gear, Castlevania and Bomberman). But also Bandai and SEGA were open, especially regarding music, Spirits and AT, so really Square being this stingy really sticks out,

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
I don't think that negotiations had to be made with Sawano himself. I don't know how him and Nintendo made their contract, but if they managed to get his work for XC2 I don't see why they couldn't for Ultimate.

Castlevania actually is smaller compared to the West, but Sakurai did stated that the first Catslevania game, alongside the forst Legend of Zelda, had a big imoact on him as a game designer. Plus Castlevania's soundtrack is godlike so many composers probably wanted to remix those amazing tunes.

I would say that Capcom and Konami were the most open minded. Both companies have 3 series in Smash (Mega Man, Street Fighter and Monster Hunter; Metal Gear, Castlevania and Bomberman). But also Bandai and SEGA were open, especially regarding music, Spirits and AT, so really Square being this stingy really sticks out,
There is one thing that worries me though and that is that they datamined all spirits and Pirahna plant is not even one...

So I feel this could really mean spirits do deconfirm characters, because how isn't something as random as a Pirahna plant not among 1000+ spirits

Top Bottom