• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elma for Smash Ultimate: Strength comes from experience. That’s true on any planet.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
So, to try and move the topic of discussion away from real fake leaks, and unconfirmed deconfirmed theories - I messed around in X a bit earlier, and decided to take a pic of my current fashion gear that I have on Elma, since I thought that it could also make for a good alternate costume in Smash.

Any thoughts?

aarchak

Smash Ace
So, to try and move the topic of discussion away from real fake leaks, and unconfirmed deconfirmed theories - I messed around in X a bit earlier, and decided to take a pic of my current fashion gear that I have on Elma, since I thought that it could also make for a good alternate costume in Smash.

Looks nice, I would think she would just get palette swaps referencing all the party members though.

Any thoughts?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
it’s pretty much assured that her true form will be an alt too, they kinda have to

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
It suits her very well, but I imagine her only getting palette swaps and...

...her true form. They'd have to cover up some exposed areas on her body though.

I have to admit that I don't feel like Elma has a good chance anymore. It seems like Elma isn't on the same level of popularity as the revealed newcomers. *sighs*

The Smash speculation has been lame lately. I really hope Incineroar and Ken isn't one of the few last remaining newcomers. :/

link2702

Smash Champion

...her true form. They'd have to cover up some exposed areas on her body though.

I have to admit that I don't feel like Elma has a good chance anymore. It seems like Elma isn't on the same level of popularity as the revealed newcomers. *sighs*

The Smash speculation has been lame lately. I really hope Incineroar and Ken isn't one of the few last remaining newcomers. :/
Even if she doesn’t make base she could appear as dlc so don’t y’all get too down in the dumps yet. And if Nintendo decides to port x to switch (which is a real possibility since they seem to be porting a lot of the bigger budget wii u titles to switch to try and get some actual money off em now) she could be revealed in a direct after that.

I will be honest though, if any new xenoblade character gets in base atm, it’s probably rex and pyra. Since it’s more recent and had dlc just released, i still feel he’s a more likely candidate to try and also squeeze out some more sales of xc2 before the holidays.

But again, that by no means implies elma’s chances are dead, just that she’s more likely dlc than base game.

Luviant X

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Luviant_X
Switch FC
SW-2346-6627-6402
Even if she doesn’t make base she could appear as dlc so don’t y’all get too down in the dumps yet. And if Nintendo decides to port x to switch (which is a real possibility since they seem to be porting a lot of the bigger budget wii u titles to switch to try and get some actual money off em now) she could be revealed in a direct after that.

I will be honest though, if any new xenoblade character gets in base atm, it’s probably rex and pyra. Since it’s more recent and had dlc just released, i still feel he’s a more likely candidate to try and also squeeze out some more sales of xc2 before the holidays.

But again, that by no means implies elma’s chances are dead, just that she’s more likely dlc than base game.
I think it's actually the opposite in that Elma has a better chance to be in the base roster than Rex and Pyra. XCX was released the same year when Sakurai was deciding the roster. Rex and Pyra wasn't even created until around a year after the roster was decided.

Otherwise, despite these millions of theories going around, I don't think Elma's chances have changed. We'll just have to wait and see what happens and hope for the best. :)

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
You think somehow, both Rex/Pyra AND Elma will be DLC if indeed Incineroar and Ken are it for base??

Fierymew

Smash Journeyman
You think somehow, both Rex/Pyra AND Elma will be DLC if indeed Incineroar and Ken are it for base??
I still firmly believe that she still has a very good chance of being in the base roster, though I must admit, I am a bit on edge.

I think if Elma doesn't make base, she could still be there as DLC to promote a XCX port.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
If there's any truth to the 108 stages rumor I'd like to hope for an X stage, but it's unlikely. What a pain.

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995

This is why I really have been hating the ballot lately- people keep claiming that we're only getting ballot favorites and that anyone else is out of the running. I kinda takes the fun out of speculating when every third argument against your character is "They wouldn't have been voted for in 2015."

Where's the fun in that? What about celebrating the recent, modern games? Sure, favorites are nice, but where's the fun of some recency or surprises? Maybe we'll get some surprise like Shulk, Robin, and Rosalina were- all great Smash reps who probably wouldn't have been ballot winners of their time.

Maybe the aspect of ending with Incineroar and Ken wouldn't be so lame if we had also gotten some other non-ballot picks, like Elma. Inklings, while new, were likely highly repped in the ballot as well because Splatoon had some recency hype. Incineroar being the only character to buck that trend does wind up being disappointing, but maybe the likes of Elma could help counteract that.

Edit- Note, I'm not disagreeing with you- your post just reminded me of why I think that speculation has felt off this time around.

Last edited:

Gameguy1996

Smash Apprentice
Now Sakurai’s saying he may have jumped the gun with the amount of reveals and we’ll get a slower reveal rate...

Maybe Incineroar AND Ken are the final reveals before say, a Test Smash...if that’s the case maybe Elma could be a free update along with Waddle Dee and any remaining echoes and the rest will be DLC... either way I don’t think she’ll be in any upcoming directs before December...
I doubt where getting any free characters and I feel like Elma could be a standalone reveal in October and it might be for the best to avoid the backlash of being one of the final 2 characters.
I highly doubt that they would reveal any newcomers outside of regular Nintendo directs or dedicated Smash directs.
Robin had a standalone trailer. Maybe they could announce a new Pokemon Rumble or Mystery Dungeon and end the Direct on an Incineroar trailer.

Going back to Elma does anyone see her getting her swimsuit suit much like Zero Suit Samus did or do you think they would just make the 8 normal outfits. I think it would just be the normal 8 outfits.

Last edited:

aarchak

Smash Ace
Hey, to distract from the leaks and speculation, I made a potential Elma moveset. I don't know how good it is though.

Potential Elma Moveset:

Playstyle: Elma is a fast, light character with good evasion moves and movement options. She has a projectile and good combo ability; her weaknesses are that she is actually very light, and a fastfaller, making her easier to kill.
Jab: 2 kicks, then cross slash with both swords (gentleman) or fire both guns at close range (rapid jab)

Ftilt: Slice forward with sword

Dtilt - Sliding Slinger: Slide forward with shooting guns

Utilt: Swing above from both sides with swords

Fsmash - Side Slash: Stab both swords forward, then slice outwards

Dsmash - Violent Streak: Fire both guns in both directions slightly downwards

Usmash: Fire guns rapidly above similar to Samus' Usmash

Nair: Spin swords around vertically (character is in o|-< position with swords above and below)

Fair: Cross slash forwards

Bair: Pistol whip behind

Dair: Cross slash swords under

Uair: Shoot guns above quickly

Ledge: Sweeping kick

Get Up: quick spin of guns
Neutral B - Executioner: Fire both guns forward at long range, similar to Bayonetta's Neutral B, can be charged for more rapid and damaging fire

Side B - Shadowstrike: very quickly dodge forward (has intangibility), has follow-up which attacks behind, deals more damage from the back; optimally, user will dodge enemy attack and backstab them for massive damage

Up B - Sky High: Rapid kicks forward and upward, similar to one of Mii Brawler's Up Bs, but goes further vertically

Down B - Ghost Factory: Put in animation for half a second, afterwards gain aura that makes the next hit on user whiff instead (cannot be stacked, includes projectiles, activates even if shielding)

Final Smash - Ares 90: calls in Ares 90 to catch opponent, then wails on them with its 4 arts, finishing with Agashura Cannon

Last edited:

ShadowGuy1

Smash Lord
I’m still gonna be holding on to the hope that she is in. I do believe at minimum we would get 4 new characters echos included and she could easily be among those four.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
This has been brought up again and again, and still doesn't make any sense. For R&P to make into the base roster the development team would've essentially needed a time machine, since Ultimate began production in late 2015, at which point the designs of those two were rather unlikely to even be finalized. And even if they were, just because they've got designs, doesn't mean that anything else from their game was already set in stone. Xenoblade can't really be equated with something like Pokémon, were you can just come up with a fighting style based off a characters base concept and typing. With something as story-driven as Xenoblade, the development of Ultimate would have needed a lot more information than reasonably could've been available. That aside, what reason would Ultimate's development team have had to go out of their way to prioritize a newcomer from Xenoblade Chronicles 2 over one from X? Back in 2015, there was no way to tell that 2 would sell as well as it did. Hell, back then they didn't even know that the Switch would do as well as it is doing. XBC2 is essentially in the same boat as ARMS, and the developer of that already said that we shouldn't expect any character from the game to make it into Smash.
Most importantly, though: Pyra/Mythra's voice actress has already long since confirmed that she has not been contacted to work on Smash. And considering how Sakurai and his team went out of their way to get Adam Howden for Shulk and David Hayter for Snake, there's no way that Skye Bennet wouldn't be reprising her role. So once again: Rex and Pyra realistically only have a chance to be DLC. If there's going to be Xenoblade newcomer in Ultimate, it's going to be Elma, especially when considering all the various things pointing towards her inclusion.

Sorry that this got a bit lengthy, but. . . it's honestly getting a bit annoying seeing people in this thread posting again and again about how they're losing hope because of some "leakers", made-up rules and hasty theories that don't have much room for more "minor" characters. We have our reasons to believe that Elma's in, and we should stick to that until they're officially shot down or confirmed.

Last edited:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Sorry that this got a bit lengthy, but. . . it's honestly getting a bit annoying seeing people in this thread posting again and again about how they're losing hope because of some "leakers", made-up rules and hasty theories that don't have much room for more "minor" characters. We have our reasons to believe that Elma's in, and we should stick to that until they're officially shot down or confirmed.
This.

I'm quite annoyed about how speculation has been so far for us, first we had Rex and Pyra over Elma, then "EVERYONE IS FROM THE BALLOT, GET LOST YOU MINOR CHARACTERS U SUK" and now "LUL 2 SPOTS LEFT ZORRY ONLY KEN AND INCINEROAR, MAYBE OTHER BIG LIKE STEVE, GENO OR SORA ON BACK BOX". There almost has never been a single moment were we Elma fan could get a little rest.
But that doesn't mean anything for her actually being in the game. We should just wait and see, since we have proof, so let's not lost our hope over theories or leaks!

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
THANK YOU. It drives me crazy to see the community as a whole just leave Elma out in the cold despite a mountain of evidence pointing towards us getting at least a little bit of Xenocross content in Smash. She's on no one's radars on any kind of serious level and to be frank she's more likely than Skull Kid or even Isaac, and I say that as a fan of both.

We just can't catch a break and I am SO SICK of hearing about Rex & Pyra to the point that I hope it's Lora who gets the DLC spot. I mean, okay, no, I'm not petty, but jeez! Let us X fans have nice things!

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
THANK YOU. It drives me crazy to see the community as a whole just leave Elma out in the cold despite a mountain of evidence pointing towards us getting at least a little bit of Xenocross content in Smash. She's on no one's radars on any kind of serious level and to be frank she's more likely than Skull Kid or even Isaac, and I say that as a fan of both.

We just can't catch a break and I am SO SICK of hearing about Rex & Pyra to the point that I hope it's Lora who gets the DLC spot. I mean, okay, no, I'm not petty, but jeez! Let us X fans have nice things!
Lora would rock, especially since she'd probably come with Jin. Though I adore Rex, Pyra, and Mythra and would still be a little sad.

But yeah, why should Incineroar and Inklings be the only recent characters? Why are people completely discounting repping one of the Wii U's most ambitious games? Honestly, we're at roughly the same point after Elma's "prime" that were when we got Shulk in Smash 4- his game was relatively recent but had a couple years of buffer. We were on the next console generation, and adding in Shulk was a bit of a love letter to the Wii- why are people thinking that Elma shouldn't be considered to do the same?

Elma is by no means guaranteed, nobody is, but she doesn't deserve being tossed aside as easily as people are.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Maybe Elma will be one of those characters no leaker will find out about beforehand, like King K. Rool. Hopefully.

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
Just a random thought- we could be on the page of this thread that coincides with Elma's fighter number either right now or pretty soon!

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Honestly just let people ignore Elma cuz that means she'll be a bigger surprise to them if she does make it.

She does have a lot going in her favour and the only thing that could be problematic for her is how much room is left on the roster, with we still don't know since even leaks and rumours are all over the place ranging from 2-8 spots left, including echo fighters.

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
The double standard for the ballot debate and popularity is very infuriating. People say how Sakurai is only adding fan favorites, but then make the exception for Incineroar. Elma's in the same boat. They both had recent games during the planning phase, but people only see Incineroar because of Vergeben. Why do people insist that Incineroar is a shoo-in for the same reason that Elma is likely to be excluded?

Anyways, rant over.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
The double standard for the ballot debate and popularity is very infuriating. People say how Sakurai is only adding fan favorites, but then make the exception for Incineroar. Elma's in the same boat. They both had recent games during the planning phase, but people only see Incineroar because of Vergeben. Why do people insist that Incineroar is a shoo-in for the same reason that Elma is likely to be excluded?

Anyways, rant over.
Plus everyone and their mother were calling for Decidueye early on, now I hardly ever see anyone talk about it.

Too many hold onto to the 'safe' bets and are willing to bandwagon if things go sour for one character.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace

Anyways, rant over.
The problem is Pokemon is a much bigger franchise than Xenoblade. So it getting around the popularity thing makes a lot more sense than Xenoblade doing so. I'd love to see Elma, but it's not all that likely unfortunately.

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
This.

I'm quite annoyed about how speculation has been so far for us, first we had Rex and Pyra over Elma, then "EVERYONE IS FROM THE BALLOT, GET LOST YOU MINOR CHARACTERS U SUK" and now "LUL 2 SPOTS LEFT ZORRY ONLY KEN AND INCINEROAR, MAYBE OTHER BIG LIKE STEVE, GENO OR SORA ON BACK BOX". There almost has never been a single moment were we Elma fan could get a little rest.
But that doesn't mean anything for her actually being in the game. We should just wait and see, since we have proof, so let's not lost our hope over theories or leaks!
Yeah, speculation has gone to s*** recently. Sakurai's recent comments only helkp to strengthen that godforsaken box theory, and many people seem to think that Sakurai "lessening the pace" = "less characters" which I don't think necessarily has to be the case.

At this point I wouldn't be against a legit leak if it takes a massive s*** all over some of the worst theories/speculated stuff.

Last edited:

Celir

Smash Rookie
Knowing what we’ll get, I already love this game. But one thing that would make me really sad, is if we get nothing new from Xenoblade at the launch.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Maybe Elma will be one of those characters no leaker will find out about beforehand, like King K. Rool. Hopefully.
It could be (just like Robin was too), but I would love to see her legitimately leaked like Ken, saying all the people trying to disprove her because "No way they would use such an unrequested/undeserving character instead of ____________" only to have her being revealed in the end. That would be a sweet end to our journey full of salt.

Izayoi

zzz
NNID
iza-tomato
I've been a bit dormant in the hype tracking lately. I don't trust any leaker however credible they can be. I know I wouldn't have trusted the ESRB leak from Smash 4 anyway because it's so darn close to release back then.

Even if Elma doesn't make it to base I still cling onto my hope for her until they announce the end of DLC. Her character would add to the roster diversity and it'd honestly be a wasted opportunity not to use her to increase more interest in the eventual XBX sequel.

The one and ONLY way to deconfirm her is that she, herself, is in the base game as anything but a playable character. That's how I see it.

Heck, I even believe we can get music from XBX before she's even revealed. You don't know what could happen, and it just seems like we are trying to read too hard into arbitrary clues and leaks that don't include her and losing hope from there.

If you want her in the game, don't lose hope.

Characters like Ridley and K. Rool held onto hope for decades... we can very much do the same if necessary.

Don't worry about the future, it's alright.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
I've been a bit dormant in the hype tracking lately. I don't trust any leaker however credible they can be. I know I wouldn't have trusted the ESRB leak from Smash 4 anyway because it's so darn close to release back then.

Even if Elma doesn't make it to base I still cling onto my hope for her until they announce the end of DLC. Her character would add to the roster diversity and it'd honestly be a wasted opportunity not to use her to increase more interest in the eventual XBX sequel.

The one and ONLY way to deconfirm her is that she, herself, is in the base game as anything but a playable character. That's how I see it.

Heck, I even believe we can get music from XBX before she's even revealed. You don't know what could happen, and it just seems like we are trying to read too hard into arbitrary clues and leaks that don't include her and losing hope from there.

If you want her in the game, don't lose hope.

Characters like Ridley and K. Rool held onto hope for decades... we can very much do the same if necessary.

Don't worry about the future, it's alright.
I couldn't agree more. Having hope is what makes the difference.

And I can testify about it, I was a Snake supporter during Smash For...you know, the whole "F**Konami" period, and now look at the situation now.

The only moment when Elma will be really death will be when we stop beliving in her. We have grown a lot during these months, and Xenoblade is quicly becaming a big series for Nintendo, we just have to not lose our hope!

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman
Yo dudes. I haven't been super active in the Elma hype lately but I wanted to drop by and say that if Elma isn't in base (which I still believe she has a good chance for, damn all the leakers) then I believe that there are very high odds that both her and Rex & Prya will be DLC either bundled together or separately.

From all evidence Nintendo wants to play in the big boy leagues of JRPGs and they finally found two tickets in that doesn't require a third party (Octopath Traveler, SMRPG) or needs to be under the tent pole of another franchise (Paper Mario and M&L). Those two tickets are Xenoblade and Fire Emblem. Xenoblade for the hardcore players that love big stories and super complex battle systems (not personally my taste but you can't deny the audience for these sort of things) and Fire Emblem for an easier to grasp but deceptively deep game series that has a built-in dedicated fanbase of hardcore old-school vets and a new wave of fresher post-Awakening blood to keep the community healthy.

Given Nintendo's recent behavior it would be nonsensical to not have a decent amount of Xenoblade representation given how hard Nintendo has been pushing the series in their attempt to grab a big chunk of the JRPG market. Mark my words they are gonna want to milk it for all its worth, and why shouldn't they if it's making them money? Elma in Smash would also significantly raise interest in a future XBX2, which certainly looks like it could be on Monolith Soft's plate down the line.

I get why all this news would bring the mood down a bit, but I feel confident that this isn't the end of the Elma train just yet.

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
I was actually referring to this thread specifically when I said that people were to quickly losing hope. But, mh, well, if it applies more generally, then I don't mind that.

Anyway - I mentioned a couple of days ago about how I was thinking about making a support thread for Team Lora, and I finally went ahead and did just that. In case anyone is interested. . .

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
i still feel Elma, that Vifram figurine, and the suspiciously lack of known Xenoblade content in Ultimate is one of the hard evidences not to take these dumb fan theories to full account, especially the box one.

not going to let that or Sakurai's hesitant claims to intimidate me that easily. Nopenope

Izayoi

zzz
NNID
iza-tomato
i still feel Elma, that Vifram figurine, and the suspiciously lack of known Xenoblade content in Ultimate is one of the hard evidences not to take these dumb fan theories to full account, especially the box one.

not going to let that or Sakurai's hesitant claims to intimidate me that easily. Nopenope
That's the spirit!

I'm ready to main Elma any day now! xD

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
With XCX2 being a likelihood, yes. Honestly my hope is for both Xenoblade characters to make it in, so if that's what must be done then so be it. However I do believe if Elma doesn't make it into base, her likelihood to make it through DLC is much less likely. We have to remember that Sakurai passed up Elma for a sixth Fire emblem character back in Wii U's DLC days. The considered reason was because Fire Emblem simply was more popular and stood to sell better DLC wise. This isn't a problem with base roster characters (like I would never imagine a character like Shulk being a DLC character), which is why I feel she has a much better chance in base smash.

Granted XC2 put Xenoblade on the map, but that was XC2 and not XCX. For this reason, Sakurai going into DLC may just choose to forego XCX representation entirely. With that being said, he may understand that XCX's lack of popularity may stem from the then lack of familiarity and the stumbling block that was the Wii U, instead seeing the opportunity to hype XCX2 (or XCX port) for the potential it has. In a way when it comes to DLC it is more of a toss up; I'd suggest we just focus on the base roster for now. Keep in mind we have yet to see any XCX representation in smash yet despite how big of a release it was on the Wii U.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I don't remember that at all. Did he really consider Elma back then?
Sakurai never explicitly said he considered Elma for DLC.

However going off of the criteria he was looking for, for the final DLC character, he was looking at characters from an upcoming title at the time of consideration. It is reasonable to assume that since XCX was released in Japan and was on the way to the West, very similarly to Fates (and like Fire Emblem, Sakurai is a fan of the series that she's from) that Elma very well may have been heavily considered as a possible DLC character, but instead Sakurai went with Corrin. Once again he never stated that was the case, as that's just speculation based off of the criteria he was looking for. But given the options at the time Elma was a very strong second choice behind Corrin.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

However going off of the criteria he was looking for, for the final DLC character, he was looking at characters from an upcoming title at the time of consideration. It is reasonable to assume that since XCX was released in Japan and was on the way to the West, very similarly to Fates (and like Fire Emblem, Sakurai is a fan of the series that she's from) that Elma very well may have been heavily considered as a possible DLC character, but instead Sakurai went with Corrin. Once again he never stated that was the case, as that's just speculation based off of the criteria he was looking for. But given the options at the time Elma was a very strong second choice behind Corrin.
Should had been Elma...

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion

Worth noting that Corrin was based on ike (or was it marth? one of them anyway) which would've made them easier to develop much like how Bayo was based on ZSS, and Elma would've kinda required a stage, Fire emblem was and is much more popular than Xenoblade too. Going for Corrin at the time makes sense.

Gameguy1996

Smash Apprentice
Honestly I feel like a retro character, Elma and a Rhythm Heaven have earned there spots and not every character has to be from the ballot. Sadly I

While I doubt Elma being in Smash at the time would have pushed many to buy a Wii U for Xenoblade Chronicles X and at the time nobody could know Xenoblade would join the over 1 million sellers group. Elma being a blade in Xenoblade Chronicles 2 tells me Nintendo and Monolith Soft knows she's popular and at least she did not end up in the Nintendo vault never to be used again.

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
New Xeno fan here, get me on that supporter list please. While I haven't played X yet as I'm waiting for the inevitable Switch port, the research I've done has sold me on Elma's potential as a character and I still think she has a good shot for the launch roster.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
So here's a fun little thing I noticed: When you search for "Elma Smash" on YouTube, the 8.8. Nintendo Direct and E3 segment uploads from Nintendo are among the first results, before even other speculation and theorizing videos that actually focus on her. Her reveal trailer for XBC2 is there, too. I checked some other currently popular picks, like Geno, Incineroar, Skull Kid and Bandana Dee, and none of them share this distinction.
I know this probably really doesn't mean anything, but if she does make it in? This, along with all the other things we got pointing towards her inclusion is going to make for one hell of a "told you so" towards all the people who were sleeping on her in favour of bandwagon hype characters.

Top Bottom