• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elma for Smash Ultimate: Strength comes from experience. That’s true on any planet.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
If we do get a port of Xenoblade Chronicles X I hope it is an uncensored port with improved translation.
If by "uncensored" you mean that they should undo the changes they made to Lin's outfits, then thanks, but no. I've already had far more than enough of that sort of thing in 2. The only localization change that should be undone is the bust slider in the avatar creation.
And like NonSpecificGuy said, what do you even mean by "improved translation"?

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I think I may have mentioned how I feel like Xenoblade X had some serious inspiration drawn from the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Well, I remembered the perfect song to prove this.
Just listen to the first minute or so and tell me this song doesn't give you Xenoblade X vibes. Particularly listen to the chords.

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
I didn't think the translation was bad. What was your issues?

And on the other part I'm assuming your talking about the bust meter and the skimpy swimsuits which, honestly, I'm good with or without those.
If by "uncensored" you mean that they should undo the changes they made to Lin's outfits, then thanks, but no. I've already had far more than enough of that sort of thing in 2. The only localization change that should be undone is the bust slider in the avatar creation.
And like NonSpecificGuy said, what do you even mean by "improved translation"?
Bust slider, swimsuits, traditional Japanese underwear, outfits and any other content that was available in the Japanese version should be available to western consumers as a matter of principle. I despise cuts and alternations that remove things from artistic works, particurarily if it is done to please prudish American/German political ideologies.

The shoddy translation I mentioned might not be much, but I did see a few screenshot comparisons. The "SMH fam (Shaking my head)" was un-necessary altering of the original dialogue.

"Culturalisation" is a scourge upon the industry.

Fire Emblem Fates was hit quite badly with shoddy translation and dialogue altered to include memes. And again content was made unavailable to western consumers when Tokyo Mirage Sessions removed the purchase option for the Hot Springs DLC (did they ever backpedal on that decision?). As if the censoship and alternations weren't enough.

And yes I will defend Hot Spring scenes as much as I would defend Sauna scenes.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Ok, so I'm going to have to tackle this post in multiple parts. Sorry to do this to all of you just wanting to speculate, don't read this if you don't want to, but it was bound to happen eventually.
The shoddy translation I mentioned might not be much, but I did see a few screenshot comparisons. The "SMH fam (Shaking my head)" was un-necessary altering of the original dialogue.
That's hardly a reason to call someone's years of hard work "shoddy". Because they tried to tackle the dialogue with a modern sensibility? That doesn't seem at all to be a problem with most games. A few throw away lines of meme dialogue in a game with 200+ hours of written dialogue is nothing, and it certainly isn't shoddy.
Bust slider, swimsuits, traditional Japanese underwear, outfits and any other content that was available in the Japanese version should be available to western consumers as a matter of principle. I despise cuts and alternations that remove things from artistic works, particurarily if it is done to please prudish American/German political ideologies.

"Culturalisation" is a scourge upon the industry.

And yes I will defend Hot Spring scenes as much as I would defend Sauna scenes.
This post entirely ignores the fact that the same is done for Japan with gore. Japan has routinely taken gore out of games en masse to fit their appropriation of content. Do we care? No. Because the appearance of gore isn't as big of a deal over here. It happens on movies and some of the biggest games of the past 3 generations and further beyond have been highlighted by their obscene take on gore. In Japan this isn't ok. Gore is not a thing you see in many Japanese versions of video games. You want to know something else weird? They're all for full frontal nudity on women but men? That's not ok. Games like The Order 1886 has Male nudity in it but not in the Japanese version. Don't even get me started on the whole four fingered character thing. The fact that the Yakuza might have something to do with it or that 4 is the number of death just screams paranoia.

So basically, all that's fine in America. You know what has FINALLY become not fine? The objectification of women. Something Japan is totally fine with. America is not. People have gotten over the fact that women are just pretty things to look at. And that's fine if Japanese culture thinks otherwise. Totally. But we're not responsible for us having a different mind set on the status of women in the world than them.
Fire Emblem Fates was hit quite badly with shoddy translation and dialogue altered to include memes. And again content was made unavailable to western consumers when Tokyo Mirage Sessions removed the purchase option for the Hot Springs DLC (did they ever backpedal on that decision?). As if the censoship and alternations weren't enough.
Ok. In Fates your main MALE character SPIKES the drink of a HOMOSEXUAL FEMALE to make himself look like a woman so that said homosexual female would fall in love with him. You do understand how much is wrong with that sentence right? That's just one example.

Now do we go overboard sometimes on the whole "Culturalization" thing? Sure, sometimes. But so does Japan. And yeah, it can be annoying sometimes. Calling cluturalization "a scourge on the industry" however, is ****ing ridiculous, in my opinion.

Tl;dr
It seems like you're only calling something a scourge because they took something out that you wanted. Something that, overall, isn't at all relevant to the gameplay in a majority of the cases. You want the game to change and be faced with possible scrutiny and backlash because someone decided that, hey, maybe we should cover that 13 year old girl up a little more and you didn't like that decision.

Sorry if this comes off as hostile. I don't intend it to. I just hear this so much. And honestly, it is past old.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Also like, "SMH fam" is a thing actual real people actually say and type so like, realism.

Honestly I'm a big fan of localization. I want the bust slider back because boobs aren't inherently sexual and it'd be nice to have fuller control over character customization, but otherwise I'm not seeing the issue with making a game more appropriate for an audience. I haven't played Fates because I heard of the original Soleil support and it left an awful taste in my mouth, but my friend who loves Fire Emblem says they really handled it a lot better in the US release and, like, thank God for that honestly.

On the gore point, look at No More Heroes. That game is mad violent in America but all the blood was removed when it was released in Japan. Different things are acceptable in different cultures.

If it wasn't for localization the Ace Attorney games would probably be some weird weeby visual novel series that never caught on. Because Capcom took a risk and totally localized them rather than purely translated them they now have a beloved series that helped carry the DS and introduced a whole new genre to a whole generation.

This post is super disjointed because I just woke up but tl;dr while I want character customization options back I don't see the issue with minor alterations to make a game more culturally accessible and I also feel that straight translation is never the right way to go when localizing a game for a different culture so I like the changes they made.

Except Dolls. I liked the name Dolls.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Honestly, I don't really give a s*** of stuff gets removed, changed, censored or what have you as long as what is censored or changed isn't vital or significant to the gameplay or story.

Last edited:

Danpal65

Smash Lord
So we might be seeing something for Smash very soon and it may be a prime slot for Elma!

Apparently just before (about 10 days) the August 8th Direct the Character Trailer playlist on YouTube was updated. Guess what was updated the other day? We might very well see a Robin-esque trailer next week that'd be perfect for Elma!

Q-Long

Smash Lord
Honestly, I don't really give a s*** of stuff gets removed, changed, censored or what have you as long as what is censored or changed isn't vital or significant to the gameplay or story.
I generally agree with this too, though even if its for things I don't particularly care about, it feels "weird" to have cut content. So I'm usually pretty neutral on this.

As for Fates, while they did remove some weird things, I really disliked how some of the translating made characters different personality wise. Though JP or NA release, I dislike the overall story either way. Love the character design though, it was better than Awakening in that regard imo.

So we might be seeing something for Smash very soon and it may be a prime slot for Elma!

Apparently just before (about 10 days) the August 8th Direct the Character Trailer playlist on YouTube was updated. Guess what was updated the other day? We might very well see a Robin-esque trailer next week that'd be perfect for Elma!
wot. explain?

Danpal65

Smash Lord
wot. explain?
So there is a playlist of character trailers on YouTube for the Smash website. 10 days before the Smash Direct in August the playlist was updated. The same thing happened before the General Direct in September and it apparently happened again 2 days ago!

Q-Long

Smash Lord
So there is a playlist of character trailers on YouTube for the Smash website. 10 days before the Smash Direct in August the playlist was updated. The same thing happened before the General Direct in September and it apparently happened again 2 days ago!
What was it updated with? :0

ShadowGuy1

Smash Lord
Honestly I just thought of something. If this is like the Robin trailer last thing, what if it was Shulk fighting Malos as a Shulk echo after Malos has defeats Rex and he is lying on the ground (like chrom last time) and when Shulk is about to get killed Elma comes in and saved the day. Then at the end of the trailer it zooms in on Rex and he says “Don’t Forget Me” and hints at him for DLC ;)

It’s a dream but now I want it and I want it now

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Oh god, I almost completely forgot that there was this period in late 2015/early 2016 where people suddenly decided that they knew better than professional localizers how games should be translated. If I recall, there were even people praising the fan translation for Fire Emblem Fates for "giving them the translation that Nintendo should've". . . while completely ignoring the fact that the people responsible for said fan translation didn't support their standpoint at all, and were in fact fully supportive of the official localization.

Ohhoooo, nice! But to be a bit sceptical about this, where did you hear this, and was there any proof of this having happened in August, too?

Honestly I just thought of something. If this is like the Robin trailer last thing, what if it was Shulk fighting Malos as a Shulk echo after Malos has defeats Rex and he is lying on the ground (like chrom last time) and when Shulk is about to get killed Elma comes in and saved the day. Then at the end of the trailer it zooms in on Rex and he says “Don’t Forget Me” and hints at him for DLC ;)

Sounds unlikely, but I think it'd be cool. More than anything, I'd love Rex getting (Smash 4) Chrom'd.

Last edited:

Q-Long

Smash Lord
Nothing appears to have been added, but this is exactly what happened before other character reveals. Probably preparing the playlist for the new character trailer(s).
I'm an insider and Elma, Isaac, Skull Kid, Banjo, and Geno are going to be revealed

Then Sakurai pops out of no where revealing Paper Mario 3, F-Zero Switch, Mother 3 virtual console, Advance Wars Switch, and Wario Land 5.

Danpal65

Smash Lord

As much as I would totally love that, the idea of Malos as a Shulk echo is pretty much Monado busted by Sakurai and his comments on Isabelle.

ShadowGuy1

Smash Lord
As much as I would totally love that, the idea of Malos as a Shulk echo is pretty much Monado busted by Sakurai and his comments on Isabelle.
We can just make a certain blade alter those cells in Malos to make him match shulk’s size ;)

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I'm an insider and Elma, Isaac, Skull Kid, Banjo, and Geno are going to be revealed

Then Sakurai pops out of no where revealing Paper Mario 3, F-Zero Switch, Mother 3 virtual console, Advance Wars Switch, and Wario Land 5.
If we’d be getting F-Zero Switch I think it’s only fair we get Black Shadow in Smash too

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
And I thank Sakurai for making those comments. A semi-clone sure, but Malos can't be made into a 1:1 echo of Shulk.

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
And I thank Sakurai for making those comments. A semi-clone sure, but Malos can't be made into a 1:1 echo of Shulk.
Unless they make Rex really short like he is in the game and imply that Shulk is the same height as Malos...

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I heard that in the Japanese version Elma had some flirty post battle dialog with the female Cross. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Hey guys, The Orpheon, the youtuber that once made a video about Elma's potential moveset in Smash, has started selling his own merchandise. While it is mostly Metroid related, Elma is featured, if you are interested:

https://youtu.be/6YQZXchL4nY

zferolie

Smash Hero
Just want to say I still support Elma, even if I have been a bit quite and I don't have her in my sig. I wanted to try at most picking my top 6 unique's, and she just barely missed out. Shes easily number 7 or 8(along with Reimu)

Coofle DeDoofle

Smash Apprentice
Once again, news I got from the Geno thread:
Ok listen up we may be close to a Lucina/Robin esc reveal

Let's hope it's Elma this time.

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995

Honestly, Elma makes the most sense to have a reveal like that for me (well, that or a Pokemon rep). She doesn't need to be explained or grouped with a Direct to maximize hype- people know XCX and Elma speaks for herself.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
DUDES

THE “NEW” BANNER OVER CHARACTERS IS GONE NOW

news is VERY CLOSE I CAN ALMOST TASTE IT

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I don't want to get my hype too high for it to be Elma since it's probably Ken, but I'm so hype either way. I love new reveal trailers no matter the character. But of course I'm hoping it's one of my big wants! Go Elma go!

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Can this be Elma’s chance to shine?

I’m mixed between hoping for Lycanroc or Elma to be revealed... but at the end of the day, I hope I can see both Lycanroc and Elma stand side by side.

Although I’m not here that often anymore, just know that I’m still an Elma supporter and she is one of my biggest wants for this game!

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
And another Wednesday passes without a Xenoblade song. Maybe we'll be getting one and more soon.

IronWarrior94

Smash Journeyman
So Gamefaqs has a topic going atm that noticed how Medusa's English VA(Cree Summer) made a tweet or something about Smash Bros. They feel that this might lead to her reveal as an echo, as they're connecting it to how Shulk's VA(Adam Howden) teased about Smash before his reveal, and that both are pretty similar.

How would you guys feel about an Elma reveal with Medusa as an echo-to Palutena of course?

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
I'm not against Medusa making it into Smash (it would be cool to get a female villain), though I wonder if she could really work as a Palutena echo.

Top Bottom