• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elma for Smash Ultimate: Strength comes from experience. That’s true on any planet.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
So here's a fun little thing I noticed: When you search for "Elma Smash" on YouTube, the 8.8. Nintendo Direct and E3 segment uploads from Nintendo are among the first results, before even other speculation and theorizing videos that actually focus on her. Her reveal trailer for XBC2 is there, too. I checked some other currently popular picks, like Geno, Incineroar, Skull Kid and Bandana Dee, and none of them share this distinction.
I know this probably really doesn't mean anything, but if she does make it in? This, along with all the other things we got pointing towards her inclusion is going to make for one hell of a "told you so" towards all the people who were sleeping on her in favour of bandwagon hype characters.
Take a screen shot of that, it probably means nothing but if Elma is in that would be great.

Man, I can't wait for her "I was wrong" tread.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Take a screen shot of that, it probably means nothing but if Elma is in that would be great.

Man, I can't wait for her "I was wrong" tread.
Ask and you shall receive:

EY.png

Those two videos are the 10th and 11th results, respectively. Her reveal trailer for XBC2 is the 15th, for reference.

Mistaros

Smash Cadet
D*mn ! Keep hopes guys !
With all the hints we have for her, if it was any smash bros game she would have been a top priority character for sakurai.
And I don't believe sakurai totally change his way of working on this smash, and only including characters from the ballot.
I honestly think the belmont was not very high on the ballot and here they are.

And don't forget that all the "I was wrong" thread will be very delicious for us ;)
Elma will save smash ultimate's speculation, or I hope so.

Last edited:

ShadowGuy1

Smash Lord
At this point I hope Elma has a similar effect Robin's reveal had last game if she is in. Where they were the unexpected one that basically denied all prior credible leaks. Never gonna lose hope for Elma, even in DLC.

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
Hey guys Takahashi talked about Xenoblade, when asked if he wanted to return to a Xenoblade Chronicles X-esque game, Takahashi said he'd probably want to bring the series down through a third path. Plus that Xenoblade 2 exceeded their expectations, which is a great thing.

Not Smash-related but just something to move this thread a bit in this period with no news!

If you wanna read more: https://nintendoeverything.com/mono...uld-go-down-a-path-it-hasnt-gone-down-before/

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
Hey guys Takahashi talked about Xenoblade, when asked if he wanted to return to a Xenoblade Chronicles X-esque game, Takahashi said he'd probably want to bring the series down through a third path. Plus that Xenoblade 2 exceeded their expectations, which is a great thing.

Not Smash-related but just something to move this thread a bit in this period with no news!

If you wanna read more: https://nintendoeverything.com/mono...uld-go-down-a-path-it-hasnt-gone-down-before/
nicccce

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500

Very interesting, it makes me wonder if their next fantasy game might actually be this third path...who knows.

Alpswat

Smash Cadet
Even though Elma is not in the base game i still believe there could be possibilities for DLC. Not only promotional as a port, or even the sequel of X.

Also, what about the Discord channel of Elma?

jimbozo

Smash Cadet
Even though Elma is not in the base game i still believe there could be possibilities for DLC. Not only promotional as a port, or even the sequel of X.

What? Was she deconfirmed? Did I miss something???

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman
What? Was she deconfirmed? Did I miss something???
No. It's just that everybody has bought into the Vergeben crap and feel 100% about Incineroar and Ken with possibly Geno in base. I personally don't trust that Vergeben hasn't been smoked out at some point, or that he has the full picture, or even if he's fully credible (he didn't know about K. Rool or Richter), so I'm holding out hope for Elma still, even though I am a supporter of both Ken and Geno.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Whoa, wait! Did someone actually leak the base roster??

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
Verge has missed characters before and with all the factors pointing towards Elma & Shadow I just find it hard to believe that Ken and the mystery Pokemon would be the only ones left.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

Did ya get a hold of the actual leaked roster? If so show us.

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord

I saw you posted something similar on the 18th. Do you know something we don't? Wanna speak up?

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
What did they say on the 18th???
"What happened to the Discord? PD: I still didn't lose hope, even if Elma is not on the base roster, there's always chances for an asked character like Elma. If there's a new ballot wouldn't surprise me to see Elma again. I see more and more people btw.,"
Not the same thing but it's kinda similar.

HypnoMaster372

Smash Journeyman
"What happened to the Discord? PD: I still didn't lose hope, even if Elma is not on the base roster, there's always chances for an asked character like Elma. If there's a new ballot wouldn't surprise me to see Elma again. I see more and more people btw.,"
Not the same thing but it's kinda similar.
Sounds like someone have fully succumb to Vergeben words + the boxart theory. Such a shame :(

Alpswat! Don't lose faith so easily! When all looks grim, you keep moving forward in hopes you find the key; the key to your hopes & dreams!

*edit* added boxart theory part.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
To be fair Verg never said “the LAST ones were getting are Incineroar and Ken”, he just said “we’re getting Incineroar and Ken”. There could be some characters he doesn’t know about, like K. Rool

Luviant X

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Luviant_X
Switch FC
SW-2346-6627-6402
To be fair Verg never said “the LAST ones were getting are Incineroar and Ken”, he just said “we’re getting Incineroar and Ken”. There could be some characters he doesn’t know about, like K. Rool
Yup, Verge being right doesn't necessarily mean Elma isn't in. He has never claimed to know the full roster.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Yup, Verge being right doesn't necessarily mean Elma isn't in. He has never claimed to know the full roster.
Exactly. He claimed that he doesn't even know the final number of fighters, all that he knows is Ken, Incineroar and a Square Enix character are in.

Last edited:

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
No. It's just that everybody has bought into the Vergeben crap and feel 100% about Incineroar and Ken with possibly Geno in base. I personally don't trust that Vergeben hasn't been smoked out at some point, or that he has the full picture, or even if he's fully credible (he didn't know about K. Rool or Richter), so I'm holding out hope for Elma still, even though I am a supporter of both Ken and Geno.
is it the Box theory? because if it about Vergeben, this greatly conflicts with it to where it not something to take account on like the other theories.
Exactly. He claimed that he doesn't even know the final number of fighters, all that he knows is Ken, Incineroar and a Square Enix characters.
yup, he also stated he doesn't know the extent of the base roster beyond the characters he knows, but "box" theorists seem to skip that or backpedal to "but look how the fighters are positioned on this WIP box"
i know most of them fell for that 9/11 /v/ leak too but mixed Ken and Incineroar into misconception with the box.

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
At least Verg or anyone else haven't outright deconfirmed her. I think that's better news than asking and getting a vague answer.

Fierymew

Smash Journeyman
Remember.

No credible leaker or official source has deconfirmed her

None of the current theories have a negative effect on her chances

Elma's chances are no different than they were at the start of speculation, she only has evidence that supports her being in game as of now.
So if you believe that Elma's chances aren't looking too good, the only thing that has changed your confidence, which is understandable. Ultimate is so close to coming out, Elma hasn't been revealed yet, and our nerves are running wild. But don't give up hope, even if she isn't in base game, I'd wager that her chances of DLC are fairly high now, especially if an X port comes out soon.

Tho I'd be surprised if we didn't get Elma in, it seems weird that Sakurai wouldn't put a new Xenoblade rep in the game.

Xenoblade is sort of in Fire Emblem's position now, being a series that Sakurai likes and wants to see succeed, and I think we'll be seeing Elma in the game along with a few other Xenoblade reps in the future

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
being a series that Sakurai likes and wants to see succeed
This is what gives me hope. While he's not allowed to say anything direct about character inclusion until they are revealed, he has been a known supporter of the series (and genre) and I'm sure he'd understand all the benefits that adding another Xenoblade rep to Smash could have for the series.

This argument, however, slightly favors Rex IMO, since if we're banking on Sakurai looking to Xenoblade's future, Rex was the one to look at (in the same way Greninja was before him), but still at least puts eyes on the series.

Last edited:

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
Xeno 2 brought all the protags together which I'll bet made Sakurai happy and I could easily see him wanting to unite them again in Smash.
Also think you should fix your quote formatting there buddy.

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
Thanks for that!

I don't think Elma is done by any definition- I think it all is dependent on at what point was XC2 in development when Sakurai approached them. If it was already conceptualized and work had started properly on it (and if it was delayed internally before its announcement), Rex may have been a good "eyes-forward" choice. However, if it was still in early phases with concepts not finalized, Elma's got a great shot (with Rex being too much sense for DLC).

Honestly, if the game comes out with Rex, I'll be thrilled to see him, but if it comes out with Elma, I'll be even more excited because the three protags will be united in due time once again!

Unless the Nopon Archsage's words about getting to see them together were to highlight how beautiful it was because it wasn't happening in Smash... no... that can't be right...

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
If Rex is getting in it'll only be for DLC. If Elma is getting in it could go for base OR DLC. Elma has more chances to slide her way in but that doesn't necessarily mean she is more likely than Rex. Still, looking at the overall fan reception to the two of them, Elma beats out Rex by a landslide. Elma was incredibly well received and Rex has had mixed reception to say the least.

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
That said, I feel like most of us think that Rex won't be appearing alone- if Pyra and/or Mythra are somehow part of his moveset, I feel like they'd topple Elma in terms of fan reception.

aarchak

Smash Ace
That said, I feel like most of us think that Rex won't be appearing alone- if Pyra and/or Mythra are somehow part of his moveset, I feel like they'd topple Elma in terms of fan reception.
At best, Rex and Pyra/Mythra will be received as well as Chrom. Elma, I think will garner much more positive reception.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
I too belive that Elma will be mostly well received from the vast majority of the fanbase, because she can appeal to a vast audience:
-The Xenoblade X fans, obviously
-The general/"casual" Smash fanbase because of her very unique moveset and how she adds more variety with the series representation
-The general audience because she is a female character that isn't a princess or wears skimpy clothes. Plus she would also be the first dark skinned character (If you exclude Ganondorf who has more of a dark gray tone)

Literally the only ones who would complain are the "THIS DUMB CHARACTER STOLE ____________ SLOT!!!1!!+!+!1" but they would complain regardless, so we shouldn't care about them.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
When’s the soonest you think we can hear of an X port announcement, you guys think?

Flyboy

Smash Hero
When’s the soonest you think we can hear of an X port announcement, you guys think?
Not soon enough. :b:

I'm hoping it's this month or November. I just want to play it on the go. It just seems so good for Switch. I used to play it on the gamepad every chance I could get because I was usually exhausted from my third shift job and wanted to play games in bed. Of course that usually meant I was stuck in NLA but...yknow. Sometimes you just want to run around, do some quests, and fall asleep.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
November at earliest, January or so at latest. We just had a general Direct this September, so getting any major announcements that are not Smash-focussed seem pretty unlikely to me.

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
I really want to play X again, but our Wii U is in the living room and is pretty inaccessible most days due to parents watching the news (I need to move out, lol). Even then, I really don't want to start a new file if we're just going to be getting a port, so I really hope that we get it announced soon... I'm still torn between making an new character and just recreating my old one (Fiora's VA = best VA).

Last edited:

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
If we do get a port of Xenoblade Chronicles X I hope it is an uncensored port with improved translation.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
If we do get a port of Xenoblade Chronicles X I hope it is an uncensored port with improved translation.
I didn't think the translation was bad. What was your issues?

And on the other part I'm assuming your talking about the bust meter and the skimpy swimsuits which, honestly, I'm good with or without those.

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
The most dangerous day of the week is fast approaching; Music Blog Wednesday!

I realized earlier that they don't really have any Xenoblade remixes at all besides the new rendition of Gaur Plains to open the XC1 medley (the medley itself just being tweaked tracks from the original), so we could potentially get a remix of a XC1 song instead of anything from X. Another talking point for the "X was a mistake spin-off because it wasn't a straight sequel" crowd, I guess. When I think about it that way, getting an X song early on wouldn't be so bad.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
The most dangerous day of the week is fast approaching; Music Blog Wednesday!

I realized earlier that they don't really have any Xenoblade remixes at all besides the new rendition of Gaur Plains to open the XC1 medley (the medley itself just being tweaked tracks from the original), so we could potentially get a remix of a XC1 song instead of anything from X. Another talking point for the "X was a mistake spin-off because it wasn't a straight sequel" crowd, I guess. When I think about it that way, getting an X song early on wouldn't be so bad.
XCX is as much as a spin off as Mega Man X is to classic Mega Man. And we have a remix of the first stage of MMX.

Besides, the biggest blow to those people is having Elma alongside X music and content in Smash.

Last edited:
Top Bottom