• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elma for Smash Ultimate: Strength comes from experience. That’s true on any planet.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
This is how I feel, although, I am unsure about spirits deconfirming characters. I thought that they did until characters like Bandana Waddle Dee were found as spirits. Do I think Porky or Sylux are more likely than the 4th most important Kirby character just because they aren't spirits? Not really... I've made this argument already, but if Sakurai/Nintendo were going to add a character who debuted on the Wii U as DLC, and spirits were being added for games like Tokyo Mirage Sessions FE and The Wonderful 101, wouldn't it be extremely suspicious to not have any from Xenoblade X when Xenoblade 2 was given a plethora of spirits? I feel like they had no choice but to add a spirit of Elma. But, if Elma is out, I guess best case scenario we get Cross. (I know, nobody likes them much, but it would still result in Xenoblade X music, scenery, and combat to be represented in Smash.)
Yeah that is about the only argument I've heard for spirits not deconfirming that makes any sense, that they had to add them in to avoid spoiling the DLC. Hopefully you're right and not me!

I was thinking about Xenoblade Warriors again. How much do we want to bet that all the X characters would be cloned whenever possible? Like imagine the base game somehow has 17 unique movesets, right;
The XB1 cast each have a unique moveset
The XB2 cast each have two unique movesets with multiple Rare Blades they can swap out (more are added in free updates)
X has Elma, Lin and Lao who are Fiora, Reyn and Sharla clones (which means Elma/Lin only use guns in specials and Lao only uses javelin for specials
And then the DLC is this
Another weaponset for each XB2 character so every XB2 weapon is represented
Vandham+Roc, Jin and Mumkhar as new characters
A swimsuit outfit for the base game XB1/2 party members
X gets Nagi as a Jin clone and L as another Reyn clone thanks for paying :secretkpop:

Guess I'm still very bitter from how FE Warriors divided the content up! Still, if Xenoblade Warriors has X content then I'll definitely buy it buy it on sale accept it as a Christmas or birthday present. Elma in XB2 shows Monolith Soft want all their **** together whenever possible and I doubt they'd let KT completely skip a game for their spin-off. Even if they don't have plans for X they might in future, after all.
(also I actually came up with a guess-list of what would be in game which is here if anyone is that hungry for idle speculation lmao)
You and me both, I was so bummed that I wouldn't get to see Ike or Hector in FEW.

That said I really hope if they do Xenoblade Warriors that they keep clone movesets to a minimum and maybe use them exclusively for villains or something.

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
You guys are asking for a Xenoblade Warriors, well I’ll go one step beyond.

Dissidia Xenoblade Chronicles!

Or something like that. I wasn’t really interested in the Warrior series since they seem like games that they are 1 time and done sort of experience (and I usually don’t like investing in those). I feel like with all the possible movesets that you can pull from for characters and many different locals, I think a Xenoblade Chronicles crossover would work excellent as a fighter.

Called it Xenoblade Chronicles VS, or something of the sort. I would like it to play similar to Final Fantasy Dissidia.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Or something like that. I wasn’t really interested in the Warrior series, and they seem like games that are 1 time and done. I feel like with all the possible movesets that you can pull from for characters and many different locals, I think a Xenoblade Chronicles crossover would work excellently as a fighter.

Called it Xenoblade Chronicles VS, or something of the sort.
Now that you mention Dissidia, the Adventure Mode kinda reminds me of Dissidia

there’s both a deity of light and a deity of dark. Except they’re BOTH bad. In Dissidia, there was Cosmos, but she wasn’t a paragon of goodness 100% (she withheld things from her warriors and let the 012 six (Tifa, Yuna, Lightning, Kain, Laguna and Vaan) die). Chaos wasn’t completely evil either (when Cloud and Terra, who were once his minions, were defecting to Cosmos, he couldn’t bring himself to punish them).

From what little I know of NT, it seems to be the same way too. Materia, who is Cosmos’s replacement and the goddess of light and machinery, is kinda a cold hearted *****. Spiritus, who is Chaos’s replacement and the god of darkness and magic, is actually a pretty chill dude

Last edited:

shocktarts17

Smash Ace

Or something like that. I wasn’t really interested in the Warrior series since they seem like games that they are 1 time and done sort of experience (and I usually don’t like investing in those). I feel like with all the possible movesets that you can pull from for characters and many different locals, I think a Xenoblade Chronicles crossover would work excellent as a fighter.

Called it Xenoblade Chronicles VS, or something of the sort. I would like it to play similar to Final Fantasy Dissidia.
Oh I've never played a Dissidia game, what does it play like?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
honestly if Elma gets a trailer, I hope she says something along the lines of "Let's move in and keep the rhythm going!" Ideally that'd be one of her taunts too

It's her "I'm really feeling it!" except it won't be memed to death...I hope

Calamitas

Smash Champion
honestly if Elma gets a trailer, I hope she says something along the lines of "Let's move in and keep the rhythm going!" Ideally that'd be one of her taunts too

It's her "I'm really feeling it!" except it won't be memed to death...I hope
Speaking of trailers - I wonder how hers is generally gonna play out, considering that DLC characters in general getting CG trailers doesn't seem to be happening this time around, either. Maybe they could start it off with one of the story mission briefings, only for someone like Lin, Tatsu, Vandham or Nagi asking something along the lines of "Say, where did Elma go?", and then getting an answer like "Oh, she's dealing with a solo mission right now" or "She received an invitation to a special event". Cue the cut away to Smash, and the reveal.
. . .At least that's how I think it could go.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Oh I've never played a Dissidia game, what does it play like?
Here’s a video to give a gist of what the game is.

It’s a bit of an Arena Brawler. The main mechanic revolves around using normal attacks that raises a “Brave” stat, and HP attacks that directly deals damage to the opponent’s life bar based on how high or low your “Brave” stat is. (For instance, if your Brave stat is 500, your HP attack will deal 500 life points). When your opponent all of their lives, you lose a stock.

The latest game in the series, Dissidia Final Fantasy, brings 3 on 3. In order to win, you need to eliminate an opponent 3 times (it can be the same person). Unlike previous entries, this game is catered more to competitive play.

I feel like something like this will work really well for Xenoblade due to it’s combat system and plethora of characters and potential stages.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Here’s a video to give a gist of what the game is.

It’s a bit of an Arena Brawler. The main mechanic revolves around using normal attacks that raises a “Brave” stat, and HP attacks that directly deals damage to the opponent’s life bar based on how high or low your “Brave” stat is. (For instance, if your Brave stat is 500, your HP attack will deal 500 life points). When your opponent all of their lives, you lose a stock.

The latest game in the series, Dissidia Final Fantasy, brings 3 on 3. In order to win, you need to eliminate an opponent 3 times (it can be the same person). Unlike previous entries, this game is catered more to competitive play.

I feel like something like this will work really well for Xenoblade due to it’s combat system and plethora of characters and potential stages.
Looks cool, I could definitely see that working for Xenoblade.

That said I'm still a major musou fanboy so I'd still love to see Xenoblade Warriors too, but both would be great!

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Speaking of trailers - I wonder how hers is generally gonna play out, considering that DLC characters in general getting CG trailers doesn't seem to be happening this time around, either. Maybe they could start it off with one of the story mission briefings, only for someone like Lin, Tatsu, Vandham or Nagi asking something along the lines of "Say, where did Elma go?", and then getting an answer like "Oh, she's dealing with a solo mission right now" or "She received an invitation to a special event". Cue the cut away to Smash, and the reveal.
. . .At least that's how I think it could go.
It should he noted that in Smash For none of the DLC got a CGI trailer, but they still played with what they got like with Ryu they used his in game model to recreate the SFII intro, or with Corrin where they used a direct clip from Fates.
With Elma I could see them reusing assets from X, reuse the X opening cutscene were she awekens the player but instead of joining her they gave her an invite for Smash or just having Shulk being beaten up by Ridley and Dark Samus until Elma appears and saves him, like what they did with Lucas.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Spirits are inconsistent in their application anyway.

For instance, Gogoat doesn't have a spirit, despite the fact that he came back as a Pokéball Pokémon. There's no excuse for that instance, since the other X/Y pokémon got theirs.

It's like the spirit team were told "go crazy", and included everyone and thing they could think of/felt like including within the guidelines they had.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Spirits are inconsistent in their application anyway.

For instance, Gogoat doesn't have a spirit, despite the fact that he came back as a Pokéball Pokémon. There's no excuse for that instance, since the other X/Y pokémon got theirs.

It's like the spirit team were told "go crazy", and included everyone and thing they could think of.
But... how would a Gogoat Spirit Battle work, anyway? Who would be the opponent?

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
But... how would a Gogoat Spirit Battle work, anyway? Who would be the opponent?
Very fast Green Bowser that runs around damaging you, and starts the match with a Poké Ball with Gogoat inside.
Just like the rest of the Pokémon fights.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
GUYS

With Piranha Plant now out for those who got him early, and a new patch, there's bound to be another datamine

Keep an eye out for any placeholders with codenames like, "XenoX", "XX", (less likely) "Verus", or if they got Royu levels of lazy just calling it straight up "Elma"

also it seems Piranha Plant, and future DLCs, WILL get Palutena Guidances but won't be unlocked in adventure mode, you start with them right away

this is fine, if Elma's confirmed it'll line up with the planned ending for my fanfiction i mean uh what

also, what would be better as an Elma victory theme? A snippet of Uncontrollable to go with Shulk's YWKON, the snippet of THEMEX from 4:22 to 4:27, or the jingle that plays when you start a chapter? I'm hoping it's the second one, with a bit more "flow", which would also explain Hiroyuki Sawano's secret recording finishing in a day -- it was for Elma's fanfare

I for sure can't see her using YWKON

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I kinda just assumed it'd be the chapter start theme (since it's also used for clearing some missions like the notice board quests iirc). Not really fond of Megaman/Shulk style snippets of random songs.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Personally, I'd like a snippet of Uncontrollable as her victory theme. I mean, that was the song that stuck with me ever since I saw the Elma trailer at Gamescom last year. Not to mention, that it was used in not just XCX, but XC2 if you faced a unique boss with Elma equipped.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Ok so nevermind it seems DLC characters ARE popped into Adventure Mode after all, probably by beating a Boss or something
would Elma be in area 1 or 2 tho...? Part of me wants to say 2 cause she was a Dark elemental Blade in XC2, but if Mecha-Fiora also becomes DLC, and her spirit was in area 2 (and I have more faith for Mecha-Fiora now thanks to Mario being in one of PP's victory screens), maybe Fiora could be WoD while Elma is WoL; or Elma on Galeem's side and Fiora on Dharkon's side in the final battle area just before Palutena and Bayonetta respectively?

D

Deleted member

GUYS

With Piranha Plant now out for those who got him early, and a new patch, there's bound to be another datamine

Keep an eye out for any placeholders with codenames like, "XenoX", "XX", (less likely) "Verus", or if they got Royu levels of lazy just calling it straight up "Elma"

also it seems Piranha Plant, and future DLCs, WILL get Palutena Guidances but won't be unlocked in adventure mode, you start with them right away

this is fine, if Elma's confirmed it'll line up with the planned ending for my fanfiction i mean uh what

also, what would be better as an Elma victory theme? A snippet of Uncontrollable to go with Shulk's YWKON, the snippet of THEMEX from 4:22 to 4:27, or the jingle that plays when you start a chapter? I'm hoping it's the second one, with a bit more "flow", which would also explain Hiroyuki Sawano's secret recording finishing in a day -- it was for Elma's fanfare

I for sure can't see her using YWKON
lol they actually REMOVED the stats and codenamed for Joker and Brave, so I can't see them adding a Xeno one in. Brave is freaking gone

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
lol they actually REMOVED the stats and codenamed for Joker and Brave, so I can't see them adding a Xeno one in. Brave is freaking gone
Wow, they are really going all out to keep the DLC undiscovered until their reveal. Now I'm even more confident on the idea they added the Spirits of the DLC they own so that people wouldn't have suspected their odd absence...;)

Last edited:

HPMarratick

Smash Apprentice
Do you guys think Brave was a red herring to get us to suspect another character, since most people suspect Edrick right now? I get that they also removed Jack but to put Brave up so early seems like they want to throw us off.

D

Deleted member

Do you guys think Brave was a red herring to get us to suspect another character, since most people suspect Edrick right now? I get that they also removed Jack but to put Brave up so early seems like they want to throw us off.
Considering these are the same people who allowed box theory to happen, I don't think they care that much to put up a vague codename, hope that we suspect a character tangentially related to such a vague codename, and then take it out to intentionally mislead us like that.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
You know

Given Smash 4's infamous Royu leaks and their harsh stance on leakers this time, smoking out several leakers in the process I

I can actually see this being the case

Remember Bandai Namco helped develop it, and they are HARSH against leaks. Square Enix even more so, to the point Cloud had to be leaked in riddles

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Nah, they probably put that because they are already working on it. Roy and Ryu had data in the game well before their release, same goes for Cloud, Corrin and Bayo who all got their base stat around April 2015.
I think they removed them because they saw that people figureted them out very quickly even with codenames. I belive that Erdrik is the next character after Joker, and that's why there are already the base lines for him. Maybe they are going to reveal him with gameplay when Joker is released but with a later release date, like how they did with Lucas and Cloud.

D

Deleted member

This decently large Xenoblade Youtuber rambles about XCX and XCX2 for about 20 minutes

Always nice to see more people aware of XCX and spreading publicity for XCX as a whole!

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I used to think X2 should have more of a story focus but after thinking on it I'm convinced the opposite would be better. Trying to tell a linear story in an open world setting means your two focuses will work against each other; not to mention giving people expectations that your game won't deliver. X suffered from both of these.

Instead X should have a more Breath of the Wild approach to main story and focus on weaving the worldbuilding/story into the exploration, sidequests, communities, and whatnot instead of having it all in info-dumps, endless cutscenes and on the back of model kits. The setting in Xeno games is always extremely fleshed out; there's easily an entire game's worth of content if you bother putting it into the game itself. Especially if you start with stuff like "we need to find out more about this planet so we can survive here!" and work your way up to "we need to find clues to uncover the mysteries of this planet" for the end game content.

Leave linear narrative to the numbered games instead of trying to dumb X down into them, is what I'm trying to say. Let each series play to it's own strengths.

D

Deleted member

I used to think X2 should have more of a story focus but after thinking on it I'm convinced the opposite would be better. Trying to tell a linear story in an open world setting means your two focuses will work against each other; not to mention giving people expectations that your game won't deliver. X suffered from both of these.

Instead X should have a more Breath of the Wild approach to main story and focus on weaving the worldbuilding/story into the exploration, sidequests, communities, and whatnot instead of having it all in info-dumps, endless cutscenes and on the back of model kits. The setting in Xeno games is always extremely fleshed out; there's easily an entire game's worth of content if you bother putting it into the game itself. Especially if you start with stuff like "we need to find out more about this planet so we can survive here!" and work your way up to "we need to find clues to uncover the mysteries of this planet" for the end game content.

Leave linear narrative to the numbered games instead of trying to dumb X down into them, is what I'm trying to say. Let each series play to it's own strengths.
I would like to see the XCX games offer a different style of story then what XC(2) do, so that seems like a neat way of differentiating them!

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So how likely do you guys think Elma's chances are for the Season Pass? I know that there isn't any Xenoblade X music in Ultimate, but do you guys remember the toy mach with the gun Sakurai bought a couple of years back? I still think that the gun that toy had was being used for Elma in Smash.

Last edited:

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
So how likely do you guys think Elma's chances are for the Season Pass? I know that there isn't any Xenoblade X music in Ultimate, but do you guys remember the toy mach with the gun Sakurai bought a couple of years back? I still think that the gun that toy had was being used for Elma in Smash.
Honestly I think if anyone is going to be the Spirits deconfirm killer it will be her, I could see where some people suggest she and the other Xenoblade X stuff were added last minute so people wouldn't be suspicious. That said It's still looking more like a heavily 3rd party DLC line-up so it's hard to say. I don't think it's likely but it's hardly impossible either.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Honestly I think if anyone is going to be the Spirits deconfirm killer it will be her, I could see where some people suggest she and the other Xenoblade X stuff were added last minute so people wouldn't be suspicious. That said It's still looking more like a heavily 3rd party DLC line-up so it's hard to say. I don't think it's likely but it's hardly impossible either.
I think out of all the characters that are spirits, Elma has the cards in her favor better than anybody else to make it into the Season Pass.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
I mean, we still don't know what the deal was with Hiroyuki Sawano's secret recording sessions last March, Caitlyn Glass' new role that puts her under NDA (and is apparently someone she voiced before), and of course there being no internal reference to X in Ultimate's code, so. . .

Yeah, I agree. Just because the story in X isn't told in the same was as the ones in 1 and 2 was, doesn't mean it's bad. And of course, the sidequests and Affinity Missions all tie back into it as well, so that the main story isn't all there is in terms of story.

This decently large Xenoblade Youtuber rambles about XCX and XCX2 for about 20 minutes

Always nice to see more people aware of XCX and spreading publicity for XCX as a whole!
It's nice and all, but I'd appreciate if he didn't spread around misinformation about the potential of an X port. That entire thing about them wanting to remake or remaster X instead of just porting is also I'm hearing for the first time, and I'm having my doubts in regards to how true it is.

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Is there any chance the Sawano project could be that Kill la Kill fighting game by Arc Systems, or whatever it is? I'd like to be able to put that tidbit of info to rest if we can confirm it's not X-related. Not sure how the timing would line up though.

Wisehunter

Smash Apprentice
Oh well, sorry to bother with the figures once again. I went to twitter and sent it to two people I know are always doing xenoblade x /Elma content (arts, etc) so they would hopefully share. I myself don't have much reach on twitter (none actually) so I did not post. If you guys are or know people who would be helpful on Elma case for those figures, let them know. Maybe even Luzin, the youtuber with the X2 video up there, or Jay RPG and Playeressence, who many times do videos about Xenoblade.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Is there any chance the Sawano project could be that Kill la Kill fighting game by Arc Systems, or whatever it is? I'd like to be able to put that tidbit of info to rest if we can confirm it's not X-related. Not sure how the timing would line up though.
wasn't it confirmed Hiroyuki was composing alongside Yoko Shimomura who confirmed she was working on Smash...?

D

Deleted member

wasn't it confirmed Hiroyuki was composing alongside Yoko Shimomura who confirmed she was working on Smash...?
wrap it up boys, she's in, no way this could go horribly wrong where i expect something instead of want for it and get completely sideswept and heartbroken

hasn't happened before...
rip skull kid
rip rex

HPMarratick

Smash Apprentice
wrap it up boys, she's in, no way this could go horribly wrong where i expect something instead of want for it and get completely sideswept and heartbroken

hasn't happened before...
rip skull kid
rip rex
At least your characters get representation *starts crying* the five Travis fans have just accepted we're getting nothing.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
out of curiosity

how many months after the CrossCode devs said a Switch port will happen "when pigs (or whatever enemy they used) fly", did the port actually happen?

Just thinking it may not be long before a X port is at least announced...either that OR X2

HPMarratick

Smash Apprentice
out of curiosity

how many months after the CrossCode devs said a Switch port will happen "when pigs (or whatever enemy they used) fly", did the port actually happen?

Just thinking it may not be long before a X port is at least announced...either that OR X2
So radical fish (the developers of crosscode) said that on a post on their blog on december 13th with the reveal being on January 21st. I'm almost 100% sure they were in contact with nintendo at the time.
Granted it probably takes more time to port a game like X over a 16 bit game like crosscode, but we dont know how long X would be in development.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So radical fish (the developers of crosscode) said that on a post on their blog on december 13th with the reveal being on January 21st. I'm almost 100% sure they were in contact with nintendo at the time.
Granted it probably takes more time to port a game like X over a 16 bit game like crosscode, but we dont know how long X would be in development.
they could at least do a quick teaser like Xenoblade 2 during the Switch reveal presentation in 2017...

and the "X port may be difficult" announcement was in October last year iirc. Three and a half months may be enough time to at least announce a port with a general release date (i.e. "Winter 2019")

Last edited:
Top Bottom