• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elma for Smash Ultimate: Strength comes from experience. That’s true on any planet.

D

Deleted member

Honestly the Xenoblade fanbase has been split since X released though. I got witchhunted by hostile X fans for prefering the original Xenoblade for example.(and my complaints are not the things X haters troll you guys with, but more stuff like the handling off the party system)

I know those fans are just the rotten apples every fanbase has to deal with, but the point I want to make clear is that the fanwars/"bloodfued" has deeper roots then just this Smash war between the Rex thread and Elma thread.

I just want the fanbase to be like it was in the old Smash 4 Shulk thread, because there you atleast had unity and people respecting eachother.
I feel like this is partially because all three Xenoblade games are different from each other (1 and 2 less so then X but still) so the fanbase is a bit split. Same **** happens with the Zelda fanbase.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I feel like this is partially because all three Xenoblade games are different from each other (1 and 2 less so then X but still) so the fanbase is a bit split. Same **** happens with the Zelda fanbase.
Yeah, I mean, isn’t it in our blood as gamers to adapt to anything that comes our way? Different games under the same franchise name should not be something hard to adapt to.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Honestly the Xenoblade fanbase has been split since X released though. I got witchhunted by hostile X fans for prefering the original Xenoblade for example.(and my complaints are not the things X haters troll you guys with, but more stuff like the handling off the party system)

I know those fans are just the rotten apples every fanbase has to deal with, but the point I want to make clear is that the fanwars/"bloodfued" has deeper roots then just this Smash war between the Rex thread and Elma thread.

I just want the fanbase to be like it was in the old Smash 4 Shulk thread, because there you atleast had unity and people respecting eachother.
I have never played any of the Xenoblade games, but it's really annoying to me when Xenoblades fans and non fans pretend or don't know that X and Elma exists. How could anyone overlook someone as awesome as Elma? Of course Rex & Pyra are the more popular and known pick, but that shouldn't mean Elma should get toss aside for them just because they came from a more successful game. We can live in a world where Elma and Rex & Pyra are in Smash so in that way everybody wins.
Part of this has to be because X must have been assumed to be a sequel, back when it was released on the Wii U, and not a spin-off. Damn it, Takahashi...

Yeah, I mean, isn’t it in our blood as gamers to adapt to anything that comes our way? Different games under the same franchise name should not be something hard to adapt to.
You, you get the score. *virtual fistbump*

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I'm trying everything for Elma Redux,
I even have Blade Nia but she only helps tangentially. Either Morag (the tank) dies upon mobbing, or Rex gets launched and is mobbed to death before I can heal. I'm applying Seal Reinforcement on Elma as much as I can and nothing. IM EVEN ON CUSTOM DIFFICULTY.

Do I wait for...dare I say..."coffee and milk"?

if not that is there ANYTHING AT ALL that increases Launch resistance? Or any other must have accessories?

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Part of this has to be because X must have been assumed to be a sequel, back when it was released on the Wii U, and not a spin-off. Damn it, Takahashi...
X is still not a spin-off. It is part of its own series.
I swear, if I have to hear it being called a spin-off one more time. . .

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
See, this is why we need clarification from Takahashi. I have idea how to label X. A midquel? Sequel? A separate thing that just happens to be in the same universe?
I think it’s the third one. X2 will probably explain how XC1, XC2 and XCX all tie together

KatKit

Smash Lord
Same **** happens with the Zelda fanbase.
Really? I... never knew. All these years, I kinda just assumed that Zelda fans were like me and just loved (or at least liked) every (canon) game they played. Maybe some preferred the 2D more than the 3D or vice versa, but Zelda is just good overall.

I should probably interact with Zelda fans more. D:

I think it’s the third one. X2 will probably explain how XC1, XC2 and XCX all tie together
The Noppon will connect everything.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I'd really prefer if X wasn't connected to XB1/2, to be honest. The way they connected XB1/2 to each other was already pretty clunky and it's bad enough that every numbered Xeno game will tie back to
"kLaUs aNd gAlEa'S eXpEriMeNt wItH tHe zOhAr"
without making every X title into the same thing.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Really? I... never knew. All these years, I kinda just assumed that Zelda fans were like me and just loved (or at least liked) every (canon) game they played. Maybe some preferred the 2D more than the 3D or vice versa, but Zelda is just good overall.

I should probably interact with Zelda fans more. D:
Well...The thing is, Wind Waker was initially treated poorly by several fans due to its artstyle, especially considering it was the first sign of a 3D Zelda work after the Spaceworld demo. And that's just one example.

There is also Majora's Mask initially getting some flack because it was too different from Ocarina of Time.

Then there's Zelda II: The Adventure of Link. Given that it was the very first sequel, I don't need to tell you how THAT went with the fans.

So really, not that much different from other fanbases in regards to getting anything even slightly different than what they're used to.

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Was thinking about this a bit earlier...
Me too. I really hope that it turns to be a very close friendship between soldiers who respect and admire each other. I'm bored of all the love stories we see in gaming, why can't we have complex and deep friendships between male and female characters, something like Otacon and Snake or Lupin III and Jigen? Those are way more interesting than another couple in love.
Heck I would even prefer if he is revealed to be her brother rather than a love interest.
I would be very very surprised if the co-pilot and Elma weren't intended to be romantically involved. I can easily see them paralleling Fei & Elly or Shulk & Fiora's relationship, with their relationship being strained and tested by the developments of the plot. Think MGS2 with Jack & Rose arguing every time you want to save the game. I can already see the scene in the lifehold after the final boss where Co-Pilot-Kun declares "I don't care if you're blue and glowy and I'm a robotic consciousness, I still love you!" I think she's a better character for not having the MC around.

...maybe because the alternative is losing all personality to dote on MC, based on how Fiora/Pyra affect Shulk/Pyra. For me the best parts of XB1/2 coincide with whenever Fiora/Pyra aren't on-screen. The main couples in 1/2/Gears basically suck up all the screentime and character development from everyone else when they're together, which sucks for anyone who enjoyed the other party members doing things that mattered. Even Elly who's the least bland of them ends up being the focus of the plot and everyone who isn't her, Fei or Citan becomes irrelevant. And you can't get rid of them, either. At least in X you can kick Elma's butt to the curb and enjoy the best parts of the game without her if you so wish. And Elma gets to spend time being stoic leader lady instead of steadfast Yamato Nadeshiko.

Oops throwing major shade at Fiora/Pyra here. Sorry, not sorry. Takahashi's perfect wife figure is not an interesting character to me regardless of how often she's written into the main heroine role.

D

Deleted member

Was thinking about this a bit earlier...

I would be very very surprised if the co-pilot and Elma weren't intended to be romantically involved. I can easily see them paralleling Fei & Elly or Shulk & Fiora's relationship, with their relationship being strained and tested by the developments of the plot. Think MGS2 with Jack & Rose arguing every time you want to save the game. I can already see the scene in the lifehold after the final boss where Co-Pilot-Kun declares "I don't care if you're blue and glowy and I'm a robotic consciousness, I still love you!" I think she's a better character for not having the MC around.

...maybe because the alternative is losing all personality to dote on MC, based on how Fiora/Pyra affect Shulk/Pyra. For me the best parts of XB1/2 coincide with whenever Fiora/Pyra aren't on-screen. The main couples in 1/2/Gears basically suck up all the screentime and character development from everyone else when they're together, which sucks for anyone who enjoyed the other party members doing things that mattered. Even Elly who's the least bland of them ends up being the focus of the plot and everyone who isn't her, Fei or Citan becomes irrelevant. And you can't get rid of them, either. At least in X you can kick Elma's butt to the curb and enjoy the best parts of the game without her if you so wish. And Elma gets to spend time being stoic leader lady instead of steadfast Yamato Nadeshiko.

Oops throwing major shade at Fiora/Pyra here. Sorry, not sorry. Takahashi's perfect wife figure is not an interesting character to me regardless of how often she's written into the main heroine role.
While I do like cheesy romance from time to time, I would rather not have Elma/her partner be romantically involved. Mostly because XC1 and XC2 had a hell of a lot of it, so I'm a bit tired of it. I mean XC2 was literally a long-winded, complex boy meets girl story at its very core.

Also unrelated, but RIP Metroid Prime 4 coming out this year Alexa play Your Voice

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
While I do like cheesy romance from time to time, I would rather not have Elma/her partner be romantically involved. Mostly because XC1 and XC2 had a hell of a lot of it, so I'm a bit tired of it. I mean XC2 was literally a long-winded, complex boy meets girl story at its very core.

Also unrelated, but RIP Metroid Prime 4 coming out this year Alexa play Your Voice
Maybe Takahashi will eventually stop doing that once he finally can complete a biblical magnum opus series this time (hopefully without being interrupted).

Well, at least having Retro onboard for that is a good call, since they know how to make MP games the most out of any dev. But what will they be announcing for E3 now?

HPMarratick

Smash Apprentice
Maybe Takahashi will eventually stop doing that once he finally can complete a biblical magnum opus series this time (hopefully without being interrupted).

Well, at least having Retro onboard for that is a good call, since they know how to make MP games the most out of any dev. But what will they be announcing for E3 now?
The retro studio that worked on MP has left the company unfortunately, I doubt all members left it, but most of them did.
As for E3 they still have FE 3H, animal crossing, smash bros dlc, (hopefully) an XCX port, some high title indie games, dameon x machina, and no more heroes 3. I wish.
I forgot Shin Megami Tensi 5.

Last edited:

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee

I feel the chance is high they will port the original Prime trilogy now to avoid some backslash (although most Metroid fans are taking this news like a champ, because Retro atleast knows how to make these games)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
So, here's something somewhat encouraging for a change: A DLC prediction video that actually mentions Elma:

I can't say that I agree with her being "conditional", but it's still nice seeing her acknowledged at all.

No, I'm honestly with you on that. While me disliking Pyra should be no surprise, my most recent playthrough of XBC1 really showed me that I honestly don't like how Fiora was handled after she re-joins her party. Most of the writing surrounding her is pretty much entirely centered around Shulk, to the point that even her sidequest dialogue and final secret skill tree are pretty much only about him. All while her relationship with her own brother, Dunban, nowhere near as well-explored as it should be, and there's just about nothing on Shulk's side. It just really takes away from her character, I feel.
And come to think of it, Pyra is very similar to her in terms of personality, isn't she?

D

Deleted member

Let's be honest, the kinda weirdoes who in all seriousness complain about "SJWs" are gonna complain about Elma by the sheer virtue of being a poc alone.
but poc and women don't exist irl so why put them in my vidya games, huhhh????

Phoebe3315

Smash Apprentice
So, here's something somewhat encouraging for a change: A DLC prediction video that actually mentions Elma:

I can't say that I agree with her being "conditional", but it's still nice seeing her acknowledged at all.
I have seen a few other DLC prediction videos mentioning Elma, probably because Rex is deconfirmed and she's now the most likely Xenoblade character. Although, the whole timing issue is still confusing to people apparently. Why do so many people think Edelgard has a chance if Xenoblade 2 characters are too late for DLC?? Yeah, Sakurai added Corrin, but that only ended up happening because of how unique they are. Half of their moves behave as if Corrin was a lance user or dual-wielder, not to mention Dragon Fang Shot and Dragon Lunge are among the most interesting/complex specials in the game. Unless there's something really neat about Edelgard's abilities we don't know about, I can't imagine her being much different than Robin with a shorter, more powerful weapon. Regardless of how much moveset potential she has, I think there's one way Edelgard or other characters not revealed to the public until 2017 or later have a chance in this DLC pack, and that's if Rex lost his chance before all 5 characters were chosen. Meaning, arrangements were already made for a different Xenoblade character. :p

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Unless there's something really neat about Edelgard's abilities we don't know about, I can't imagine her being much different than Robin with a shorter, more powerful weapon.
I mean, based on what we’ve seen on Three Houses, I’d say make Edelgard more of an Olimar-Type character where she has a platoon of soldiers that she can command. So a moveset not so much based on what she can do as what her game can do.

Phoebe3315

Smash Apprentice
I mean, based on what we’ve seen on Three Houses, I’d say make Edelgard more of an Olimar-Type character where she has a platoon of soldiers that she can command. So a moveset not so much based on what she can do as what her game can do.
Now I'm trying to imagine Edelgard being able to make random soldiers appear out of thin air behind her, who jump around with her and stuff as she fights, and it looks silly. Somewhat interesting concept, but I don't see it ultimately working too well.

D

Deleted member

Here's what I think went down with Elma

Her name was 100% floated around when choosing base game characters, this is a given, but she wasn't chosen due to XC still being rather small and them rather using the tiny amount of dev time they had due to bringing back all the characters on more famous ones/easy echos.

Then at some point during the dev cycle, XC2 came out and became both a hit and one of Sakurai's favorite games. Of course he couldn't add Rex/Pyra due to them being too late for the selection process, but he could add some smaller stuff like costumes and what-not.

But he still wants to add a new Xenoblade character, so he looks at the list Nintendo made for him partway through the dev cycle, and sees Elma, and goes "well sweet I can still add a Xenoblade character" and puts her down on the DLC list, and takes out the XCX songs to save them for DLC.

Of course this is assuming that her name was ON the list in the first place, but I like to think optimistically :)

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Her name was 100% floated around when choosing base game characters, this is a given, but she wasn't chosen due to XC still being rather small and them rather using the tiny amount of dev time they had due to bringing back all the characters on more famous ones/easy echos.

Then at some point during the dev cycle, XC2 came out and became both a hit and one of Sakurai's favorite games. Of course he couldn't add Rex/Pyra due to them being too late for the selection process, but he could add some smaller stuff like costumes and what-not.

But he still wants to add a new Xenoblade character, so he looks at the list Nintendo made for him partway through the dev cycle, and sees Elma, and goes "well sweet I can still add a Xenoblade character" and puts her down on the DLC list, and takes out the XCX songs to save them for DLC.

Of course this is assuming that her name was ON the list in the first place, but I like to think optimistically :)
it would certainly line up with Hiroyuki Sawano's recordings for the "secret project" too

only thing is, Elma has a Spirit, but if you assume Spirits don't deconfirm like I do, it means nothing in the long run

it's worth noting her spirit isn't anywhere in Adventure Mode, but I got her as a challenge reward after getting almost all characters in the first area.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

it would certainly line up with Hiroyuki Sawano's recordings for the "secret project" too

only thing is, Elma has a Spirit, but if you assume Spirits don't deconfirm like I do, it means nothing in the long run

it's worth noting her spirit isn't anywhere in Adventure Mode, but I got her as a challenge reward after getting almost all characters in the first area.
Wasn't there a whole different team who made Spirits? They probably only considered the characters in base game when figuring out who not to make Spirits for.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Wasn't there a whole different team who made Spirits? They probably only considered the characters in base game when figuring out who not to make Spirits for.
Didn't know that, that could also be something noteworthy

D

Deleted member

Didn't know that, that could also be something noteworthy
Also I'm betting that Spirits were decided on alongside base game characters like trophies in past games, with only a couple exceptions addes at different times like XC2 spirits and event spirits like Let's Go

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
Honestly while I've still not had time to pick up and play X, I really want Elma in Smash still. Sonic and Xenoblade were the franchises I wanted new things out of the most and Sonic is ultra-screwed with Shadow being an AT and Joker marking SEGA's 3rd rep, so I hope Xenoblade gets something.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace

I'm with you so far, I'd guess this is pretty close to what happened.

But this part seems like a bit of a stretch. I mean I want Elma as much as you guys but I don't think she got in because Sakurai liked XC2, if he decided the DLC after XC2 came out then why wouldn't he have just put Rex in it? I think when they say that XC2 missed it's shot and got a Mii Costume instead, it missed it's shot for DLC as well probably because DLC was decided early in the design process along with the rest of the fighters. So if Elma gets in as DLC it will be for her own merits.

That said I do think the spirits deconfirm. While another team did pick the spirits considering Piranha Plant doesn't have one it's clear they were told he would be a fighter and therefore didn't need to be a spirit. Since spirits are supposed to be a way to get characters in who wouldn't be in any other way it doesn't make sense to include characters who are getting in as DLC when there are plenty of others you could pick.

Last edited:

Wisehunter

Smash Apprentice
On the figures again, Elma getting 1000 plus and a figure would should there is demand and interest on her. Would should that xenoblade x gaining only that Skell model formula figure was underwhelming, as people also would like Elma.

Phoebe3315

Smash Apprentice
I think when they say that XC2 missed it's shot and got a Mii Costume instead, it missed it's shot for DLC as well probably because DLC was decided early in the design process along with the rest of the fighters. So if Elma gets in as DLC it will be for her own merits.

That said I do think the spirits deconfirm. While another team did pick the spirits considering Piranha Plant doesn't have one it's clear they were told he would be a fighter and therefore didn't need to be a spirit. Since spirits are supposed to be a way to get characters in who wouldn't be in any other way it doesn't make sense to include characters who are getting in as DLC when there are plenty of others you could pick.
This is how I feel, although, I am unsure about spirits deconfirming characters. I thought that they did until characters like Bandana Waddle Dee were found as spirits. Do I think Porky or Sylux are more likely than the 4th most important Kirby character just because they aren't spirits? Not really... I've made this argument already, but if Sakurai/Nintendo were going to add a character who debuted on the Wii U as DLC, and spirits were being added for games like Tokyo Mirage Sessions FE and The Wonderful 101, wouldn't it be extremely suspicious to not have any from Xenoblade X when Xenoblade 2 was given a plethora of spirits? I feel like they had no choice but to add a spirit of Elma. But, if Elma is out, I guess best case scenario we get Cross. (I know, nobody likes them much, but it would still result in Xenoblade X music, scenery, and combat to be represented in Smash.)

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I was thinking about Xenoblade Warriors again. How much do we want to bet that all the X characters would be cloned whenever possible? Like imagine the base game somehow has 17 unique movesets, right;
The XB1 cast each have a unique moveset
The XB2 cast each have two unique movesets with multiple Rare Blades they can swap out (more are added in free updates)
X has Elma, Lin and Lao who are Fiora, Reyn and Sharla clones (which means Elma/Lin only use guns in specials and Lao only uses javelin for specials
And then the DLC is this
Another weaponset for each XB2 character so every XB2 weapon is represented
Vandham+Roc, Jin and Mumkhar as new characters
A swimsuit outfit for the base game XB1/2 party members
X gets Nagi as a Jin clone and L as another Reyn clone thanks for paying :secretkpop:

Guess I'm still very bitter from how FE Warriors divided the content up! Still, if Xenoblade Warriors has X content then I'll definitely buy it buy it on sale accept it as a Christmas or birthday present. Elma in XB2 shows Monolith Soft want all their **** together whenever possible and I doubt they'd let KT completely skip a game for their spin-off. Even if they don't have plans for X they might in future, after all.
(also I actually came up with a guess-list of what would be in game which is here if anyone is that hungry for idle speculation lmao)

Last edited:
Top Bottom