• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Elma for Smash Ultimate: Strength comes from experience. That’s true on any planet.

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
Happy New Year! I've noticed some XCX New Year's Art on Twitter so I thought I would share it here. I can honestly say seeing new XCX art is often the highlight of my day. Here's hoping we see more XCX love in 2019.
That first picture...this needs to be protected...not that Elma would need it but you get the idea

Anyway. I wish you guys a happy 2019.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Jigglypuff and Toon Link where developed allongside Roy & Mewtwo though, but Sonic caused a delay, so Sakurai had to take some sacrifices here, but its weird why he didn't finish Mewtwo, but made Wolf from scratch instead (Wolf in Brawl lacks alot from a scrapped unique victory theme, to always appearing in the data as the last character finished)
:ulttoonlink: and :ultwolf: probably caused the delay of Brawl as well. Even though :ultmewtwo: was a veteran, he was probably harder to develop than :ultwolf: which is probably why he get in instead because of time constraints and being easier and faster to develop. :ultmewtwo: getting cut in Brawl was probably the worst experience that happen to me as a Smash player.

HPMarratick

Smash Apprentice
What so you guys think her taunts would be? My favorite taunt for her would be reference to the stuffed lobster quest. She pulls a stuffed lobster out of her pocket, looks and shakes her head then throws is behind her, causing a tiny explosion.

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
Hey everyone, happy new year! I've spent more time with Smash and I definitely have enjoyed all of it. However, the more I played, the more I realized how lackluster Xenoblade content is. Strap in, time to rant.

Okay, first things first, let's discuss what is new. So we have new music, some spirits, and a Mii Costume. Sounds good, right? Ha, nope. The 3 music tracks we got were ripped straight from 2 and absolutely nothing from X. Not to mention, no remixes in sight. Want to know how many we have total? One. And it's not even a full remix, just a medley done by ACE. That name sound familiar? Maybe because they did both the original and 2's soundtracks. It feels so incredibly wrong that no outside composer worked with some of the best video game music out there. You'd think that Sakurai would've pushed for more remixes, considering he loves the series so much. I'd also like to point out how only Final Fantasy and Game and Watch have fewer remixes, both coming in at zero. It feels so disingenuous to have Nintendo act like they care about the series, but then pull this crap. So, what else? A really detailed Mii Costume (it feels like a genuine effort) and some spirits. The spirits kind of bother me too. Why not have characters like Elma and Lao be enhancable when they both have obvious forms that they take? This is more of a minor complaint, but it really makes me question why they couldn't throw X fans a bone besides 5 spirits. Overall, Xenoblade representation feels about as bare-bones as possible for a franchise that is clearly becoming one of Nintendo's more successful. To be honest, I thought I was okay with the amount of content at launch, but as time has gone on, it just feels cheap and very tacked on. Anyways, rant over.

I just really want Elma for DLC because she would bring more Xenoblade content. Bring on more music from 2, give us some from X, and throw in Torna while we're at it.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
:ulttoonlink: and :ultwolf: probably caused the delay of Brawl as well. Even though :ultmewtwo: was a veteran, he was probably harder to develop than :ultwolf: which is probably why he get in instead because of time constraints and being easier and faster to develop. :ultmewtwo: getting cut in Brawl was probably the worst experience that happen to me as a Smash player.
I thought it was :ultsonic:that delayed the game?

HPMarratick

Smash Apprentice
If Elma was DLC, would Katylin Glass already be notified?

I’m wondering how far Elma could be in development if she was DLC.
Speaking of unresolved info. Do we know if the music Sawano recorded for a secret project was meant for that new anime by studio Trigger in 2019?

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
Hey everyone, happy new year! I've spent more time with Smash and I definitely have enjoyed all of it. However, the more I played, the more I realized how lackluster Xenoblade content is. Strap in, time to rant.

Okay, first things first, let's discuss what is new. So we have new music, some spirits, and a Mii Costume. Sounds good, right? Ha, nope. The 3 music tracks we got were ripped straight from 2 and absolutely nothing from X. Not to mention, no remixes in sight. Want to know how many we have total? One. And it's not even a full remix, just a medley done by ACE. That name sound familiar? Maybe because they did both the original and 2's soundtracks. It feels so incredibly wrong that no outside composer worked with some of the best video game music out there. You'd think that Sakurai would've pushed for more remixes, considering he loves the series so much. I'd also like to point out how only Final Fantasy and Game and Watch have fewer remixes, both coming in at zero. It feels so disingenuous to have Nintendo act like they care about the series, but then pull this crap. So, what else? A really detailed Mii Costume (it feels like a genuine effort) and some spirits. The spirits kind of bother me too. Why not have characters like Elma and Lao be enhancable when they both have obvious forms that they take? This is more of a minor complaint, but it really makes me question why they couldn't throw X fans a bone besides 5 spirits. Overall, Xenoblade representation feels about as bare-bones as possible for a franchise that is clearly becoming one of Nintendo's more successful. To be honest, I thought I was okay with the amount of content at launch, but as time has gone on, it just feels cheap and very tacked on. Anyways, rant over.

I just really want Elma for DLC because she would bring more Xenoblade content. Bring on more music from 2, give us some from X, and throw in Torna while we're at it.
Yeah the Xenoblade-Content isn't as much as it could be. With the music it actually doesnt bother me that there arent new remixes ("You can't improve on perfection." - Iron Man, Marvel vs. Capcom 3) but more the overall amount and yeah, no Xenoblade X-Music is more than just a bit weird. I get that the games music overall wasn't for everyone (i personally love the NLA-Themes) but no music at all...No Uncontrollable (by many considered to be the best song in the game as far as i am aware) or even an instrumental Version of Black Tar. It is just head scratching.

And then there are the spirits. I think it is more than a bit head scratching when it comes to the Xenoblade-Spirits. We got the Original-Gang + Mumkhar and Metal Face (the latter whas so useful during World of Lights Finale btw), with X we have Elma, Lin, Tatsu, Lao and a Skell. Could there be more of X? Yes but at the same time i think we got at least most of the Main Cast (other than maybe Default Cross, Vandham or Luxaar (but who honestly cares about that guy, design and voice was the only thing that did it for me)).But i would have loved Irina...But then we get to Xenoblade 2...Where the hell are Gramps (who pretty much screams enhanceable,) Dromarch, Brighid and Pandoria? What abou other rare blades like Finch or Praxis? Lora who? And the only explanation for the lack of Malos or Jin for me is that it """"might""" have something to do with the characters artwork being done buy the same person who also did a lot of Final Fantasy-Stuff (you know asking for permission to use the artwork and even that is debatable.) Meanwhile Mega Man has 57 spirits (more than twice as much as Xenoblade...)

Yes there was "a bit" of wasted potential with Xenoblade.

Thats about it from me (sorry for any grammar errors, im writing on an old pc who sounds like he could explode any minute so i need to hurry up...xD)

Last edited:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
One thing I will have to say is that between Elma and Rex & Pyrra, I think Elma would have done a better job of selling the Xenoblade series as a whole even if Xenoblade 2 was received much better than X. I personally have no horse in this race, as I have not played either of the two titles (X and 2), but looking at the two characters and their abilities, I think Elma is more distinctive. Rex looks like just another JRPG hero, while Elma shows more obviously what Xenoblade is about (a RPG series with a lot of sci-fi elements).

I think the lack of content in general for X and 2 might be explained as a situation of bad circumstances. Sakurai and his team might have been told X was just a side experiment and might have held off on adding any significant content for the title as a result, but then 2 ended up coming out too late to really add anything major for it either (it did get some tracks and two Mii costumes though).

I think for Ultimate's DLC, at least the fighter's pass characters, it is probably going to be all or nearly all third-party characters. I think any hopes of Elma being a part of the fighter's pass depends on whether a port (or direct sequel) of Xenoblade X is being made, which will not know until later this year.

I think at the very least Elma should have received a Mii costume though.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Honestly I can't really belive that Monolith considered X just a side project. That side project was heavely used to promote the Wii U since the January 2013 Direct, and even the Spirits in Smash from X are listed under the Xenoblade series, so it is considered part of the main series.

Also after Sakurai's comment about how Nintendo specifically asked him to announce Joker at the Game Awards I don't really expect many TP characters. Joker was chosen to be the first one announced right before release in order to catch the attention and sell the Fighter Pass, and if he was the most hype inducing character they had in store then I can't really expect many more TP (especially since Nintendo chose the characters I can't see them not even picking some of theirs, since they wouldn't have to share the revenue with any other company). The only other I could see is a DQ character, but considering how niche the series is in the West it makes sense that they went with Joker instead.

Anyway happy new year folks, and let's hope 2019 is Elma's Time.

Last edited:

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
Honestly I can't really belive that Monolith considered X just a side project. That side project was heavely used to promote the Wii U since the January 2013 Direct, and even the Spirits in Smash from X are listed under the Xenoblade series, so it is considered part of the main series.

Also after Sakurai's comment about how Nintendo specifically asked him to announce Joker at the Game Awards I don't really expect many TP characters. Joker was chosen to be the first one announced right before release in order to catch the attention and sell the Fighter Pass, and if he was the most hype inducing character they had in store then I can't really expect many more TP (especially since Nintendo chose the characters I can't see them not even picking some of theirs, since they wouldn't have to share the revenue with any other company). The only other I could see is a DQ character, but considering how niche the series is in the West it makes sense that they went with Joker instead.

100% Agreed.

I honestly hope we not only get third-Party guests but Nintendo-Characters too. Don't get me wrong guests are good and all but if you do it too much it loses ist appeal. I was playing Richters Classic-Mode yesterday and i was fighting Ken when i got the though "Who knew that Richter Belmont from Castlevania and Ken Masters from Street Fighter could fight each other one day". I haven't played any Castlevania-Game and im not really attached to Ken (i love Ryu though) but it still feels surreal to me that these two characters can fight each other. I really don't want Smash to lose this "special kind of magic" if you will. (and i reaaallyy want Elma and Dr. Coyle and Decidueye but whatever...)

Last edited:

Luxent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Luxent
Switch FC
True. ^

Third parties are cute and all, but what made Smash Bros absolutely magical for me is that it was NINTENDO only. I never played PS or XBOX growing up, and to have this exclusive title feature fave characters on my favourite system was amazin.

I dont mind people like Sonic or Megaman as they have been on Nintendo Consoles for a very long time, but Joker's inclusion kinda leaves a bad taste in my mouth.... heck, even Cloud's inclusion does too.

Anyway, back to Elma, the only thing *killing* her chances for me are the fact that shes a spirit. But TBH anything is possible, in an Update she could have her spirit name changed to like Elma (Regular clothes) and have her fighting model be in a skell or something. Who knows.

D

Deleted member

I am all in for first party picks.

And Elma would sure be a dope one.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
True. ^

Third parties are cute and all, but what made Smash Bros absolutely magical for me is that it was NINTENDO only. I never played PS or XBOX growing up, and to have this exclusive title feature fave characters on my favourite system was amazin.

I dont mind people like Sonic or Megaman as they have been on Nintendo Consoles for a very long time, but Joker's inclusion kinda leaves a bad taste in my mouth.... heck, even Cloud's inclusion does too.

Anyway, back to Elma, the only thing *killing* her chances for me are the fact that shes a spirit. But TBH anything is possible, in an Update she could have her spirit name changed to like Elma (Regular clothes) and have her fighting model be in a skell or something. Who knows.
I hear ya buddy.

Between the General Discussion Thread and the Square Enix Discussion, I feel like I’m one of the very few people who actively predict 1st Party characters (especially in the latter thread).

I’m 100% positive that we’re going to get a 1st Party character in DLC. I hope it’s either Elma or Bandana Dee (or both, that would be my dream come true). And if spirits don’t deconfirm, that pretty much makes them the frontrunners for 1st Party.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Historically speaking, the last ever character to get revealed in some part of a roster (base, hidden, DLC or beyond) is usually a first party, or at least strongly associated with Nintendo to some extent (yes, :ultbayonetta: is technically third-party, but her sequels are Nintendo-exclusive until further notice), so I don't expect this Fighter Pass pattern to be any different in that regard.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Yeah, those are my thoughts exactly. I'm pretty sure that none of the Fighter Packs have enough progress made on them to show any progress (or at least, back in December it was like that), so Nintendo asking Sakurai to reveal Joker anyway most likely means that he was the most high-profile out of the pack. The only third-party character to have any chance is someone from Square as far as I'm concerned, and even that isn't guaranteed. And if you ask me? That's honestly fine by me, because I really don't want any more third-party characters.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Isn’t it still rumored that there’s an “E” character in the fighter pack? The guy who cryptically leaked Cloud claims it’s Erdrick from Dragon Quest III, but I’m hoping there’s a second E - Elma

D

Deleted member

Isn’t it still rumored that there’s an “E” character in the fighter pack? The guy who cryptically leaked Cloud claims it’s Erdrick from Dragon Quest III, but I’m hoping there’s a second E - Elma
I want to believe but after Verge and Hitagi got BTFO I don't put any stock whatsoever in DLC leakers.

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
I want to believe but after Verge and Hitagi got BTFO I don't put any stock whatsoever in DLC leakers.
I feel the same way. Just a few days ago verge said something similar like the 5channel-leak or whatever it is called (that Erdrick might be in). Since the beginning i took everything he said with a grain of salt but now...sorry buddy but believable you are not.

HPMarratick

Smash Apprentice
I would honestly be surprised if we got anything from square enix in the form of DLC. We only had 2 spirits from the SMRPG and cloud's spirit from FF VII, in addition to only 3 music tracks from FF VII. Maybe the mii fighter skin for Geno and that's it.

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
Happy New Year everyone. Just want to say that even if I'm not a hardcore Xenoblade fan; I am STILL pulling out for you people to get your character.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I like to think they probably ARE working on a Xenoblade Chronicles X Ultimate port in secret and only mentioned it would take longer than expected due to the engine and whatnot

Hopefully they’ll at least have a formal announcement in a direct like with animal crossing switch, and BAM Elma for DLC

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
As much as Monolith says that it's a very expensive job to port X, I think that it's definitely doable considering the potential returns. The only way to preserve FrontierNav features would probably be through the use of the pause menu kind of like how the original Xenoblade treats it. Other than that, they need better audio balancing for sure, larger text, and they'd need to remove the Miiverse feature. I could also see a "bonus chapter" of sorts if no sequel is coming soon. It could explain the NDA for Caitlin Glass and Hiroyuki Sawano's secret project. I'd rather have it be Smash, but the possibility is there if a port exists.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Maybe the pause menu could include a FrontierNav panel right there? Just access it and do all your FrontierNav stuff, just pressing buttons to switch from fast travel mode to probe setup mode and so on

Also hot take: the navigation ball X had NEEDS to be a mainstay in the Xenoblade series. Navigating in 2 is hella confusing at times

Last edited:

zipzo

Smash Apprentice
As much as Monolith says that it's a very expensive job to port X, I think that it's definitely doable considering the potential returns. The only way to preserve FrontierNav features would probably be through the use of the pause menu kind of like how the original Xenoblade treats it. Other than that, they need better audio balancing for sure, larger text, and they'd need to remove the Miiverse feature. I could also see a "bonus chapter" of sorts if no sequel is coming soon. It could explain the NDA for Caitlin Glass and Hiroyuki Sawano's secret project. I'd rather have it be Smash, but the possibility is there if a port exists.
I mean the easiest way to do frontier nav was demonstrable with the Wii u version of it.

If you ever played X on the Gamepad then you already know how it would feel.

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
I mean the easiest way to do frontier nav was demonstrable with the Wii u version of it.

If you ever played X on the Gamepad then you already know how it would feel.
True. It's been so long since I actually played X last, and it was mostly in handheld mode. Since the undocked Switch is essentially the gamepad done right, they could literally just do exactly what was done before. Then just adapt the Plus/Minus buttons to control FrontierNav, the actual menu, and online features. Realistically FrontierNav could just be the first thing on screen above all of the party options. As far as controls for that in docked mode, just use the left control stick as a cursor, the right control stick as the camera controls, and use buttons instead of the stylus. That doesn't seem to difficult to me to map, but I'm not a programmer.

If Monolith can't do it, just outsource it to someone like Panic Button. They do magic with ports, so it'd be even easier. As much as Takahashi made those excuses, I think they're non-answers and that they're basically PR talk. It's not like he would actually tell us if it were happening. Here's hoping for the rumored direct next Thursday to give us something X-related.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
True. It's been so long since I actually played X last, and it was mostly in handheld mode. Since the undocked Switch is essentially the gamepad done right, they could literally just do exactly what was done before. Then just adapt the Plus/Minus buttons to control FrontierNav, the actual menu, and online features. Realistically FrontierNav could just be the first thing on screen above all of the party options. As far as controls for that in docked mode, just use the left control stick as a cursor, the right control stick as the camera controls, and use buttons instead of the stylus. That doesn't seem to difficult to me to map, but I'm not a programmer.

If Monolith can't do it, just outsource it to someone like Panic Button. They do magic with ports, so it'd be even easier. As much as Takahashi made those excuses, I think they're non-answers and that they're basically PR talk. It's not like he would actually tell us if it were happening. Here's hoping for the rumored direct next Thursday to give us something X-related.
What’s Panic Button known for?

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
What’s Panic Button known for?
They did the Switch ports of DOOM, Rocket League, Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus, Warframe, and will also be working on DOOM: Eternal when it comes out alongside PS4 and Xbox One. They do incredible work, and the ports they make are technical marvels. They somehow make games run on the Switch extremely well. Nobody knows how, but they do great work.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
They did the Switch ports of DOOM, Rocket League, Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus, Warframe, and will also be working on DOOM: Eternal when it comes out alongside PS4 and Xbox One. They do incredible work, and the ports they make are technical marvels. They somehow make games run on the Switch extremely well. Nobody knows how, but they do great work.
Seems they do mostly third party ports though...would be nice if Nintendo enlisted them to port one of their own games

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
In any case, if I do recall, PB consider Wolfenstein, Rocket League and DOOM killer apps for the Switch, if that factors into anything.

And some devs that mainly do ports can be capable of doing original games if skilled enough, like M2.

Last edited:

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee

Didn't some of you guys like PSIGuy PSIGuy find that in the hidden files of the spirits, they refuse to acknowledge the X spirits come from X though. Like we see them listed as Xenoblade series, but if you delve really deep they refuse to quote the source game in an hidden file, while japanese only Fire Emblems and real flops like Code Name Steam got that priviledge.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Didn't some of you guys like PSIGuy PSIGuy find that in the hidden files of the spirits, they refuse to acknowledge the X spirits come from X though. Like we see them listed as Xenoblade series, but if you delve really deep they refuse to quote the source game in an hidden file, while japanese only Fire Emblems and real flops like Code Name Steam got that priviledge.
Probably an oversight, like that one guy who couldn't look up Komurasaki's name and listed her spirit as "Girl from Hajimari no Mori".

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Probably an oversight, like that one guy who couldn't look up Komurasaki's name and listed her spirit as "Girl from Hajimari no Mori".
Sorry, but that'd be a highly specific oversight. So highly specific that I find it very doubtful that it's just an oversight. Not to mention that your example is something from the localization of the game, not from the original form of the game, as the code thing is.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Sorry, but that'd be a highly specific oversight. So highly specific that I find it very doubtful that it's just an oversight. Not to mention that your example is something from the localization of the game, not from the original form of the game, as the code thing is.
In any case, maybe they just listed X as such for the sake of simplicity and called it a day, so I doubt they're hiding anything there.

Last edited:

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
In any case, maybe they just listed as such for the sake of simplicity and called it a day, so I doubt they're hiding anything there.
You would have a point though if X spirits weren't excluded from WoL, while XB2 spirits can be found there aka a game that got alot of content, considering the bad timing it had.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
You would have a point though if X spirits weren't excluded from WoL, while XB2 spirits can be found there aka a game that got alot of content, considering the bad timing it had.
Hmm.

Well, let's just hope this actually amounts to something, but if Elma doesn't show up in DLC at all...then ouch, some parts of the staff have some explaining to do.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
You think DLC characters will show up in WoL after purchase somehow or will they be starters like Kirby? Cause ngl the latter would be kinda OP and unfair

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
Hmm.

Well, let's just hope this actually amounts to something, but if Elma doesn't show up in DLC at all...then ouch, some parts of the staff have some explaining to do.
Yeah at this point its obvious something is up with X in general, so thats why I just want Monolith to come clean with the situation, because X fans at this point deserve closure on what the plans are for X's future..

Rie Sonomura Rie Sonomura Pirahana Plant will give us insight at how DLC characters are handled, but I think they will be starters like Kirby.

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
In any case, maybe they just listed X as such for the sake of simplicity and called it a day, so I doubt they're hiding anything there.
That sounds extremely unlikely. They were very meticulous and specific with what games they have in this listing, like how they listed every single Fire Emblem game (including Tokyo Mirage Sessions), and only list Pokémon games that they have content from (for example, games like Emerald, Platinum, HGSS and FRLG are not on the list but ORAS and B2W2 are on there).

Top Bottom