• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Electronic Arts being voted the worst company makes me not want to be a gamer anymore

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Link to original post: [drupal=5134]Electronic Arts being voted the worst company makes me not want to be a gamer anymore.[/drupal]

Disclaimer: If I come off as a self righteous, I'm sorry.

Now ultimately, I don't give two cents about EA (EASports is lol though). But I, for all that is good and holy, can't fathom how anyone can vote for them as the worst company in America. I mean, Haliburton created a toxic cloud just to drive people from their ****ing homes. Academi is currently under investigation by the FBI for smuggling weapons to terrorists. Cargill used child trafficking to get cheap labor. Shell inserted staff into the Nigerian government and bribe their military. And there are more nightmarish stories about companies doing something like this.

The only reason I think anyone would EA as the worst company is just Mass Effect 3's multiple choice endings just.... didn't live up to the hype. It just bothers me that's probably the only reason EA is voted as the worst. I'm sure EA done some other stupid things, but I doubt they could have done what those companies I listed done. And if they did, I doubt that was the reason they were voted as the worst.

I do not really expect everyone to just up and protest the companies I mentioned for some misplaced yet noble reason. But the blatant self-centered nature of gamers took me by surprise, honestly. For the worst. I guess hanging out on certain sites (like here lol) where the average intelligence level is higher than that of a toddler's made me think gamers were actually smarter in the ways of the world. Silly me, I guess.

Oh well.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
For a second I thought this said "worst game company" and I was gonna go "you know they have ****ed up more than a little bit, not just that mass effect thing which isn't even entirely their fault, more bioware's creative ***********".

But yeah worst company among all others not just gaming lolololol wow people are dumb.

Also hey how about that Konami thing? You know, planning to release 3 Silent Hill games in one month with almost no advertising, or that whole delaying a game within like a week of its release thing. Those guys are funny to me.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
A lot of companies have done some really ****ty things. Especially in the past few years.

EA is pretty bad, but it has a lot of competitors in that front.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I remember years ago I heard horror stories from EA workers. They include:

- Being "asked" to work 80 hour work weeks to meet a game deadline that they set.
- Being fired the day before a game went gold so as not to pay bonuses.
- Being told they would only stay open if they met a certain rating. They missed it by a point, and EA closed them down.

EA is infamous for buying profitable developers, stripping them of everything but one game, and milking that game to death. These include:
- Maxis: Maxis was a famous indie game studio that produced the massive hit SimCity 2000. When they were starting to fall due to a lot of failed games, EA bought them and moved Will Wright (the founder) to The Sims. They then pushed for the continuation of SimCity without Will Wright. The Sims was a smash hit, and then they started one of their more horrific practices of forcing expansions every x months. Will Wright went to work on Spore, and it tanked horribly, and Will Wright essentially left gaming.

- Origin: Origin created the first mainstream MMO Ultima Online based on the storied Ultima game series. UO was a crazy hit and spawned a lot of other MMOs (notably at the time Everquest). While EA purchased Origin in 1992, they were pretty autonomous until the failure of Ultima IX, which came out after UO. In retaliation, EA canceled all future games including Ultima Online 2, and basically, ousted the creator of Ultima and Origin, Richard Garriott. His character in UO, Lord British, was killed and there was a funeral. After he left, EA started a process of having an expansion every 6 to 12 months or they would cease support of the game. The expansions killed Ultima Online in hopes of making it more mainstream.

- Bullfrog: Headed by Peter Molyneux, this was the company that did Populous and Dungeon Keeper. Once EA purchased them in 1995, they were, like OSI, fairly autonomous until the consolidation period caught them and they were merged into EA UK. Molyneux founded Lionhead after he was pushed out of Bullfrog, and he had plans to do up to Black and White 5. That was phased completely out.

- Westwood: This was the one that hit me hardest. After merging with Virgin, they were purchased by EA in 1998. A LOT of Westwood employees quit that day, and you can see this, along with EA's accelerated release schedule, evident in Tiberian Sun. When C&C Renegade tanked (mostly because of being rushed and under-marketed), EA scrapped all other games and franchises in favor of Command and Conquer, which included my favorite RTS/game of all Emperor: Battle for Dune. Since the consolidation of Westwood in 2004, C&C has had more entries than ever before with expansions for every entry.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
EA is notoriously evil in the games industry
I mean, I'd still probably work for them/one of their subsidiaries for the right price, but they suck.

But yeah, this is dumb. Too much butthurt over gaming.
Loving how Bioware is getting sued by the better business bureau....not for any of the bad stuff, but for the from ashes DLC (understandable I guess)...and Dat ending.
Uhm. Whut? News flash to all who petitioned that: I'd get rid of that sense of entitlement. It's ruining the industry.

:phone:

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I don't think you what a lot of words you just said actually mean.

Bioware was chastised because they sold everyone on a multipart game experience and in the end that experience was entirely irrelevant. Imagine reading a book series where if you follow one string, you can go through several books and get an entirely different story. You buy every subsequent book to have the "best" story for you, but when you get to the last book, all the stories end in one of three ways that aren't even that dissimilar. Now, imagine each book cost $60 to read, and the last book was missing a chapter that you could buy at release.

That's not entitlement of the consumer; that's called "ripping off your consumer."

yani

Smash Lord
I'm sure $60 roster updates were another reason why people voted for them

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
I'm all for yelling at them for ripping off people...but suing them JUST for the game's ending is going too far.
Also I'm probably just being salty because I have to constantly hear about mass effect by my classmates (and dey be spoiling stuff)
Yeah, mostly salt xD

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Yeah, I don't think you really understand the scope of it.

The Mass Effect 3 ending is what was being sold to people from Mass Effect. This was a super hyped thing that was basically done in the cheapest, most ridiculous way.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
All those things are true about EA, CK, but it's still laughable to suggest that they're a worse company than ****, Phillip Morris, Haliburton, Blackwater, Goldman Sachs, etc. by any metric.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
It's not entitlement for a consumer to threaten to quit giving a company business if they don't fix their **** product.

Also am I the only one who saw ME3 being stupid from a mile away? Mass Effect is seriously one of the most overrated game series I have ever played. Oh man, super backwards difficulty curve, hilariously bad graphics, ****ty pc bugs they apparently never ever forever fixed, and some other minor ****. Oh maybe ME2 will fix that, oh nvm now it's just Gears of Talk More with a super forced-you know what, no, I'm not doing this now.

**** Bioware. ._.

Edit-For the record, I don't actually hate Mass Effect but I feel it's held on a pedestal for having a decent plot with a cool universe alone, problem being there's a lot more bad game in there than good story for me to view it as AMAZING.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
All those things are true about EA, CK, but it's still laughable to suggest that they're a worse company than ****, Phillip Morris, Haliburton, Blackwater, Goldman Sachs, etc. by any metric.
I agree with that, but there is no linked article so I have no idea the context of this declaration.

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
I like to think (or rather, hope) that EA won because of the ME3 fiasco happening right as this contest started so it was fresh in the voters' minds. I'm sure that if this same poll was conducted a few months ago that another company would have won.

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
Where did you get this from? EA is no doubt the ****tiest video game company out there but I don't think any video game company should win the worst company award.

Shoutouts to Facebook.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I like how OP says "LOL EA SPORTS" when ironically EA Sports is probably the most consistent in pumping out high quality games.

Ultimately sports games are kinda trapped in the cycle of HAVING to release a new game every season for the most part, it is mostly market demand quite honestly.

Boxing games don't fall under this category.

I'm not a big fan of EA in terms of what they've done to all my beloved games franchises, but I still don't get why EA Sports gets so much flak from gamers when it's EA Games that literally **** every dev studio they acquire, and for the most part put out quality sports sims. \o_o/

This is pretty much what happened with EA:

EA is ****
Wins the Golden Turd Award and the Worst Company in America
"THIS MUST BE THE WORK OF ALL OF THOSE HOMOPHOBICS WHO SENT US ANTI-GAY EMAILS, WE HERE AT EA ARE DIVERSE AND ACCEPTING AND THIS IS DISCRIMINATION"
Proceeds on to another ****storm, apart from the dying ****storm that was swept up by the release of SWTOR.

Sarix

Smash Ace
Yeah EA is notorious for its developer predation habits as far as buying out studios and turning them into a husk of what they once were. If I ever start a studio in my game design career I will make sure I have some vetoing power just so it doesn't get ruined by EA. I've even talked to former employees from there who say it's terrible to work there.

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
Most people probably know that EA isn't the worst game company in America. I think its just that a lot of angry gamers (angry at ME3 ending maybe, or online passes, how they treat their developers, the fifa 12 hack and not doing anything about it, or all of these reasons combined) wanted to vote for EA to try and get back at them and make it known how much they despise EA.

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
Most people probably know that EA isn't the worst game company in America. I think its just that a lot of angry gamers (angry at ME3 ending maybe, or online passes, how they treat their developers, the fifa 12 hack and not doing anything about it, or all of these reasons combined) wanted to vote for EA to try and get back at them and make it known how much they despise EA.
Please give an example of a company you think is worse.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
British Petroleum

aka BP
aka the oil company with the worst safety record by a long shot (seriously, other companies aren't even close)
aka the ****ers who leaked oil in the Gulf of Mexico for months without fixing it, essentially destroying that entire region of the planet forever.

Yea... I think those guys might be worse.

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
British Petroleum

aka BP
aka the oil company with the worst safety record by a long shot (seriously, other companies aren't even close)
aka the ****ers who leaked oil in the Gulf of Mexico for months without fixing it, essentially destroying that entire region of the planet forever.

Yea... I think those guys might be worse.
I remember reading about that a year ago, yeah they are definitely one of the worst companies.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
That was an American subsidiary of BP lol, that's entirely on them.

Sol9000

Smash Journeyman
If any company is to be the worst, it's not EA. Sure they're shady but so is VALVe and they're almost saints compared to folks like BP or Crapcom!

But since this is not the worst gaming companies, I've gotta say: We gamers need to agree on something now before non-gamers declare actual, physical war on us.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Unless not releasing sequels with "3" in their name is an immoral thing, I don't think VALVe is too bad.

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
If any company is to be the worst, it's not EA. Sure they're shady but so is VALVe and they're almost saints compared to folks like BP or Crapcom!

But since this is not the worst gaming companies, I've gotta say: We gamers need to agree on something now before non-gamers declare actual, physical war on us.
What's wrong with Valve?!

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Capcom is shady?
Capcom does some **** that gamers may find offensive but I don't think I've heard horror stories with how they actually, you know, conduct business.

If on disc dlc and dumb **** like that is your idea of shady, kids, ahahahaha, oh man, good one. You keep on believing that while infinitely worse **** happens that no one does anything about, you know, like what EA does to its own employees and whatnot.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Oh so basically they use clever ploys to rake in more money because they know their nerdy customer base will pay out the *** regardless of how much they're exploited?

I'm totally cool with that.

Sol9000

Smash Journeyman
maybe. Nevermind. Go get the mods and tell 'em we're Necro-Posting. They'll lock it up for sure!

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
There is no necro posting in UB because blogs are attached to the user's profile, they're not threads in teh traditional sense.

However, that doesn't mean you post for BUMP LOL with an empty load of bull****, since it counts as spam.

I'm not locking this, but seriously get a life man.

Top Bottom