• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Edmonton Brawl Tournament - Saturday May 9, 2009

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
oh wait, nvm. Why did I think this was over 2 days? O.o

Either way, double elim pleeeeaseee. At least for doubles. =D

Eggi42

Smash Rookie
Fracking rights, I have been looking for a tourney in Edmonton for a while. I have never been to a tournament, can someone please explain to me the rules, if there is a cost to enter, and where it's at?
Thanks tons.
Also, how do you enter?

KillL0ck

Smash Ace
Fracking rights, I have been looking for a tourney in Edmonton for a while. I have never been to a tournament, can someone please explain to me the rules, if there is a cost to enter, and where it's at?
Thanks tons.
Where specifically do you live in Edmonton? North, South, etc? Also, the information should always be posted on the first page. It has everything you need to know.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Wow so many people in edmonton interested in tournaments. How many of you newcomers will quit brawl after getting *****? Just saying :p.

Vitality

Smash Ace
What time do the events start at nothing is listed here? Hopefully not too early as You Three is the night before. A monthy brawl league with tourneys sounds good so I can get out into the competitive scene more than once a year.

ULTRA EDIT: Cants Find the facebook group

Double EDIT: Too lazy to go to Kawaii for pre registration can I just say that i'm coming? :D
-Victor Money match 1 cent Melee
-Looking for other money matches on Melee :)

TRASH TALK EDIT : Who practices brawl by playing brawl? All about the Melee Band wagon BIATCHES
(Yes that includes you victor)

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
What time do the events start at nothing is listed here? Hopefully not too early as You Three is the night before. A monthy brawl league with tourneys sounds good so I can get out into the competitive scene more than once a year.

ULTRA EDIT: Cants Find the facebook group

Double EDIT: Too lazy to go to Kawaii for pre registration can I just say that i'm coming? :D
-Victor Money match 1 cent Melee
-Looking for other money matches on Melee :)

TRASH TALK EDIT : Who practices brawl by playing brawl? All about the Melee Band wagon BIATCHES
(Yes that includes you victor)
wow I haven't seen you post here in forever jim

Vitality

Smash Ace
wow I haven't seen you post here in forever jim
I didn't post. I just editted. Fraser actually posted because I logged in while searching smashboards.

THIS is a real post

Trash Talk EDIT: Feck you already have 957 posts and registered just last year. If you spent all that time practicing instead of forum whoring you probably would've been better G_G

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
I didn't post. I just editted. Fraser actually posted because I logged in while searching smashboards.

THIS is a real post

Trash Talk EDIT: Feck you already have 957 posts and registered just last year. If you spent all that time practicing instead of forum whoring you probably would've been better G_G
lol well first of all, I didn't post on smashboards for like 3-4 of those months and I actually have about 1,300 but the alberta thread doesn't count towards posts, and second of all, it doesn't really matter at all, they do total up pretty quick and I usually have nobody to smash with in the weekdays except for level 9 CPUs that are more predictable than your mother

DMK.

Smash Journeyman
*In the second and third matches, the winner will first choose a character, the loser will choose their character, then the loser will choose their stage. You may not counterpick a stage you have previously won on in that set.
I thought it was supposed to go - loser picks stage, winner picks character, loser picks character? The way you have it now means every match after the first would potentially be completely unfair for the winner, meaning whoever wins the first match wins the set. The loser should get some advantage,but he shouldn't get to dictate the next round. This would also push people to play top tiers.

I know if I used my main(olimar) and I won the first match, I'd immediately pick MK just to avoid getting gayed in case my opponent wants to take me to rainbow cruise or some other equally bad Olimar stage and I can't do anything about it. With my method, I could still have to play on those stages but at least I would have the option to change to a different character who can actually play on that stage. I'd still have to deal with my opponent's character counterpick though, and I'd be playing an alternate instead of my main who I'm better with.

edit: also looking for doubles partner :) Dedede is my main teams character.

Vitality

Smash Ace
I thought it was supposed to go - loser picks stage, winner picks character, loser picks character? The way you have it now means every match after the first would potentially be completely unfair for the winner, meaning whoever wins the first match wins the set. The loser should get some advantage,but he shouldn't get to dictate the next round. This would also push people to play top tiers.

I know if I used my main(olimar) and I won the first match, I'd immediately pick MK just to avoid getting gayed in case my opponent wants to take me to rainbow cruise or some other equally bad Olimar stage and I can't do anything about it. With my method, I could still have to play on those stages but at least I would have the option to change to a different character who can actually play on that stage. I'd still have to deal with my opponent's character counterpick though, and I'd be playing an alternate instead of my main who I'm better with.

edit: also looking for doubles partner :) Dedede is my main teams character.

That's why you should've stayed with WAHRIO.

@Frio: BS you already have a partner :p

1337i

Smash Cadet
but you both get to ban a counter pick stage each after the first match. so if you really don't want to be on rainbow cruise, just ban that one from being counter picked. and I have changed the rules... many times..... to accomidate all these complaints... =____=

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
but you both get to ban a counter pick stage each after the first match. so if you really don't want to be on rainbow cruise, just ban that one from being counter picked. and I have changed the rules... many times..... to accomidate all these complaints... =____=
No offense, but your rules are pretty terrible...without our suggestions, they would be even worse. I'm definitely not coming to this tourney anymore because I really don't think you know what you're doing lol.

KillL0ck

Smash Ace
Give him a break guy's, he's trying his best.

Anyway, change the specific counterpicking rules as I mentioned above so it balances it out. You'd be surprised how an effective counterpick can change things around(considering the person counterpicking does pick the right stage for the advantage). These small little things are extremely important, believe me, and as it's basic in every tournament, this one should be no different.

Also not to gripe about anything(Believe me, I'm just trying to help):

Neutral
Final Destination
Battlefield
Battleship Halberd - Switch to counterpick, not even close to neutral. Whoever thinks so is half brain dead.
Smashville
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)

Counterpick
Lylat Cruise - Switch to neutral, it's a perfectly viable stage and by default it's neutral. Don't listen to these johner's and stick with the basic setup because frankly, some of these people only hate the stage because it either A) They have a hard time recovering because they're noobs B) It gives a disadvantage to spamming C) The pretty **** in the background boggles their mind and they get mindgamed.

get ***** johners.

Other than that everything would look perfect on paper.

gg's

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman
Give him a break guy's, he's trying his best.

Anyway, change the specific counterpicking rules as I mentioned above so it balances it out. You'd be surprised how an effective counterpick can change things around(considering the person counterpicking does pick the right stage for the advantage). These small little things are extremely important, believe me, and as it's basic in every tournament, this one should be no different.

Also not to gripe about anything(Believe me, I'm just trying to help):

Neutral
Final Destination
Battlefield
Battleship Halberd - Switch to counterpick, not even close to neutral. Whoever thinks so is half brain dead.
Smashville
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)

Counterpick
Lylat Cruise - Switch to neutral, it's a perfectly viable stage and by default it's neutral. Don't listen to these johner's and stick with the basic setup because frankly, some of these people only hate the stage because it either A) They have a hard time recovering because they're noobs B) It gives a disadvantage to spamming C) The pretty **** in the background boggles their mind and they get mindgamed.

get ***** johners.

Other than that everything would look perfect on paper.

gg's
Doesn't Brawl have a recommended SBR rule list?

T-block

B2B TST
While we're at it put Norfair in CP >=)

No worries 1337i... we know you're trying hard, but standard rules are standard for a reason, and deviating from that standard is usually not a good idea, especially for your first tournament. If you ask me, open up to some of the changes being suggested. Of course we know you have the final say, but if you insist on some of these rules then you should expect that you might get fewer people.

1337i

Smash Cadet
TT____TT but I thought we already argued about halberd and lylat... =____= the only thing that could make halberd a counterpick is because of the arm, lazer, and bomb that can hit you. and yeah, I don't really know what I'm doing seeing how this is my first tourny... it was just an idea, and a way to help business of SK because times are indeed hard. but I made those counter pick rules from the things people have told me... people like... nikanor, and aish D=. I talk to them about stuff before I make things so... yeah. if you guys all say that I'm wrong, I guess I can change it... but here's an idea... tell me all the things you think I should change at once so I don't have to re-edit every week D= pleeeeaase

DMK.

Smash Journeyman
Use Killock's link as a guide.

I would not worry too much about people argruing stage cps, that is relatively minor and you should just worry about making sure that your stage list doesn't violate the recommended list's guidelines.

It doesn't really matter what stages you decide on, people will complain.

That said: Why isn't Pokemon Staduim 1 generally considered a neutral? It was one in Melee...

Frio

Smash Champion
Use Killock's link as a guide.

I would not worry too much about people argruing stage cps, that is relatively minor and you should just worry about making sure that your stage list doesn't violate the recommended list's guidelines.

It doesn't really matter what stages you decide on, people will complain.

That said: Why isn't Pokemon Staduim 1 generally considered a neutral? It was one in Melee...
I agree I think PS 1 should be a Starter, but I guess there are things like DDD's chain grab and the windmill is messed up now

Top Bottom