• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Edmonton Brawl Tournament - Saturday May 9, 2009

Nikanor

Smash Rookie
Edmonton Brawl Tournament of Excellence

Place: Sou Kawaii (12923 97 St.)
Date: May 9
Time: Doors open at 10 am, tournament starts at 12 pm.
Game: SSBB Singles and Doubles
Entry Fee: $10 per person, per event (so it will be $20 if you plan on entering into both singles and doubles); $2 extra per person per event if not pre-registered.
Contact: Phone: (780) 237 4720 OR Email: jensisbald@hotmail.com OR just pm me

Rules:
*3 stock.
*8 minutes.
*Double-elimination.
*No standing infinite chaingrabbing.
*No stalling.
*Items will be set to off.
*Finals/Semifinals will be played in 5 matches, all other sets will be 3 matches.
*In the first match, characters will be determined by a blind pick. The first stage will be determined by the stage strike method. Both parties will take turns in striking out stages, until only one stage remains. This will be the first stage. After the match is over, each player can choose to ban a stage from being counterpicked (starting with the winner).
*In the second and third matches, the winner will first choose a character, the loser will choose their character, then the loser will choose their stage. You may not counterpick a stage you have previously won on in that set.
*If the game ends with a suicide move and the game calls it a tie, the player who initiated the move is declared the winner.
*If the game ends in a time up situation, whoever has the highest stock wins. If both players have equal stock, whoever has the lowest percent wins. If both players have equal stock and percent, sudden death will be played out.
*An edge grab limit of 50 will be in place (to prevent stalling/camping). If the match ends in a time up and your stats show that you have grabbed the ledge at least 50 times, you will lose the match. If both players go over 50, then regular time up rules apply.
*Trashtalk is allowed, but if we feel it becomes too excessive, you will be given one warning before being asked (read: told) to leave. The same goes for being obstructive to other players. In no way will cursing or destruction of property be tolerated. Just don't be a jerk, and you'll be fine.
*Please arrive early if you wish to enter your name/control configuration.
*A copy of the rules and allowed stages will be available during the tournament if you need it.

Stages:
Neutral
Final Destination
Battlefield
Battleship Halberd
Smashville
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)

Counterpick
Lylat Cruise
Delfino Plaza
Castle Siege
Frigate Orpheon
Rainbow Cruise
Brinstar
Pokemon Stadium
Pokemon Stadium 2
Jungle Japes

Prizes:
50% of all entry fees will go to the Cross Cancer Institute, because that is just how we roll.
The other 50% will be divided as follows:
1st Place: 60%
2nd Place: 30%
3rd Place: 10%
Everyone else: 0%
Estimates in dollar amounts will be given a week before the tournament (May 1), and exact values will be posted the day of.

Pre-Registration
Please pre-register as soon as possible, as it will allow us to determine how many wiis/TVs to bring, as well as prize amounts, tournament duration, etc. Registering at the door will cost an extra $2, so it is in your best interest to pre-register. Pre-register by sending me a message with your real name, and I will put your username on the pre-registered list in this thread. If your name does not appear here, you are not pre-registered and will be charged the additional $2 fee. If you bring a wii & TV set, your entry fee will be reduced by $10. The first to volunteer will be the first to be chosen to bring their set, so volunteer early if you want to bring your set and get free entry into the tourney.

If I have forgotten anything, please don't spaz out. Just tell me and I will fix it as soon as possible. Thanks!

A NOTE: THIS IS NOT MY TOURNAMENT! Someone else is organizing it, I'm just the messenger. Everything I post here must be talked over with him before I post it. He does have a smashboards account now and is reading and posting (Username: 1337i) so hopefully it will go more smoothly :D

SECOND NOTE: There is a Facebook group! We are trying to start up a monthly league. The group's name is Super Smash Bros Brawl League, look it up if you want to join in on the monthly tournaments! We will be ranking people in the league, and the top ranks get free stuff from the store (bubble tea, pocky, merchandise, whatever).

Alphicans

Smash Hero
CHARITY AWWW MAN TAKING UP ALL THE MONEY! But yeah I will show FOR SURE!

EDIT: Costs for entering each event?

ColinJF

Smash Ace
When I said I like it what I actually meant is that it's neutral but I don't feel very strongly about the stage list. "Shifting" doesn't make a stage non-neutral inherently (it can actually enhance neutrality by removing certain static advantages), and the hazards on Halberd are trivial to avoid.

I don't really care what the stage list looks like however.

Nikanor

Smash Rookie
Okay, so I changed the entry fee to $10, and I eliminated the prize for fourth place. I personally feel that Halberd is less shifty than Lylat, so I won't be changing it unless pretty much everyone prefers Lylat.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
How is Lylat even bad. W.e It's still a tournament, one of the few we've ever had in Edmonton, so really you can have all the control you want because I got no other options.

Frio

Smash Champion
How is Lylat even bad. W.e It's still a tournament, one of the few we've ever had in Edmonton, so really you can have all the control you want because I got no other options.
Lylat is so bad, how many times has that ledge ***** you ? Just think about it lol.

KillL0ck

Smash Ace
Keep Lylat as neutral, it's a fun stage people are just being ledge noobs lol

and halberd is mad gay

DTP

L o s t - in reality~
I'll think about this. I might have something to do that weekend. My weekends have been so busy lately xD

DTP

L o s t - in reality~
Noooo00oo, you totally have to come, no John's, Alberta is in a drought for tournament's. Take it while you can! Lol.
lol You're right xD
I've never been to a tournament before either.......
Hopefully everything works out and I can make it

I know someone I can invite too

Lib3r4t3

Smash Ace
Pokemon Stadium 2? ): I find that worse than Halberd being a neutral. Aside from the neutral neutral position, each transiformation is bad: flying being low gravity, highly disruptive to fights; electric having treadmills, I think this one is self explanitory; ice being slippery, the least disruptive of the transformations but easily visible how it is disruptive, sliding charged smashes being scarier than you'd think; and rock having a wall that takes up a lot of space, making virtually no manuvering room aside from beisde the wall.

I won't be attending for obvious reasons, though, so take it as you will.

DTP

L o s t - in reality~
Pokemon Stadium 2? ): I find that worse than Halberd being a neutral. Aside from the neutral neutral position, each transiformation is bad: flying being low gravity, highly disruptive to fights; electric having treadmills, I think this one is self explanitory; ice being slippery, the least disruptive of the transformations but easily visible how it is disruptive, sliding charged smashes being scarier than you'd think; and rock having a wall that takes up a lot of space, making virtually no manuvering room aside from beisde the wall.

I won't be attending for obvious reasons, though, so take it as you will.
haha yeah I hate that stage too, but whatever

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Fate I've seen you on AiB. At least I think so.

Also how many TV's could this place hold? And how many people could it hold? Aish said for your little smashfests you only have 1 TV, so like we need to change that :p.

aish

Smash Journeyman
This tournament's going to have 4vsffa to determine singles, winners of the ffa move on to singles.

ps. If anyone wants to get rid of this rule can go ahead and try talkin to host, I've already tried >_>

Spin-Dash

Smash Journeyman
Not to mock and all, but Imma use MK for the ffa part.

Then you-know-who comes along for the real show. ... In other words, I wouldn't show. XD;

Nikanor

Smash Rookie
Okay, I updated the main post, including adding that there will be FFA, and an extra-special note at the end about how this is not my tournament, and how it is impossible to convince the one organizing this to change it to a normal tournament. I'll be hosting my own in June, and it will be pretty much normal, and I will be open to comments and such, so if you don't like FFA, just come to that one instead.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Does the real host want other people to come? Or is this just your attempt to get involved in the smash community? Cause I mean if the real host wants us to come then he's ******** >.>

Frio

Smash Champion
Dibs out on this

EDIT: Smash is like sex, there should only be two people involved

KillL0ck

Smash Ace
Okay, I updated the main post, including adding that there will be FFA, and an extra-special note at the end about how this is not my tournament, and how it is impossible to convince the one organizing this to change it to a normal tournament. I'll be hosting my own in June, and it will be pretty much normal, and I will be open to comments and such, so if you don't like FFA, just come to that one instead.
See you in June.

1337i

Smash Cadet
Okay Okay... after reading everyone's comments on MY tourny I did some thinking and q__q ing and I have decided to REMOVE the FFA section of this tourny.... *cries*... anyway *cough* I have also decided to add a doubles part of the tourny. It will be $20 for each pair ($10 each) and the prizes work the same as the 1v1s. *sigh*... so yeah, come back to me!!! q___q COME TO MY TOURNY PLEEEEEAAASE!!! (TT_TT) And yeah... this is the real host. Nikanor was just my friend posting here for me, but yeah... come! =D

KillL0ck

Smash Ace
Now I'm interested.

(Which person are you by the way? Were you there when I was at Bubble Tea on the weekend?)

1337i

Smash Cadet
no I was not there, but I am the one who is behind the hosting

Top Bottom