• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Edge Hogging

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sephiroths Masamune

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Edge hogging has been around since the 64 days. And it's far from being unfair. It's a basic tool used to gimp players, and some times it's necessary to win the match.

As for friendlies, I usually avoid it, because it makes the match longer which leads to more play time.

/Thread

Calebyte

Smash Lord
It's unfair just like Diddy Kong being allowed to have items and Marth being allowed to hold a sword. And I do it all the time, it's part of the game, and for a character like Mario it's sometimes the only way to win a stock.

Jonas

Smash Champion
I NEVER thought of it as unfair or "cheap", not even when I saw it for the first time, back when I was a new, super scrubby player :ohwell:
So yeah I don't really understand what people are talking about.

Player-1

Smash Legend
Edge hogging is a cheap unfair tactic and anyone who does it is a n00b and should feel ashamed.

SAVE THIS COMMUNITY BAN EDGE HOGGING!

FIREL

Smash Ace
I think it depends on the character... if its someone with a good recovery, it doesn't really matter, but if its someone with a bad recovery or a tether, then yea its kinda unfair.

etecoon

Smash Hero
edge hogging isn't fair, especially when meta knight does it!

we could ban edge hogging but I think it is pretty obvious that we should just ban meta knight instead

Judo777

Smash Master
Cut the bull crap hate on MK.

MK doesnt have any specialty that lets him grab the ledge any better then other characters, don't add him into this.
except that hes is the most powerful character in the game while hes on the ledge......

SupaSairentoZ7℠

Smash Hero
Edge hogging has been around since the 64 days. And it's far from being unfair. It's a basic tool used to gimp players, and some times it's necessary to win the match.

As for friendlies, I usually avoid it, because it makes the match longer which leads to more play time.

/Thread
That is how I usually go about it. With randoms I feel no remorse in edge hogging them and watch them plummet to their doom. With friends I like to make my matches last instead of them ending quickly due to edge hogs.

Pogoshark

Diddy-Strong
NNID
Pogoshark
Most of the time my edge hogging is just to troll my friends xD

The only other time I'd edge hog is if I'm down a few stock, the opponent edge hogged me, or if the stocks are tied and im on high damage :]

Either way, its ever so fun to watch your victim rage

etecoon

Smash Hero

MK doesnt have any specialty that lets him grab the ledge any better then other characters, don't add him into this.
I have frame data that proves that yiou can only die if MK edge hogs you, no one else can do it!

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I don't even edgehog that much, smart players know how to recover. I prefer other methods as they are usually more important.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
I mercilessly edgeguard. And then I gloat, and deservingly, because you just got edgeguarded by GANONDORF.

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
Sure edge guarding works more on other characters, and some characters are better at it, but eh, edge hogging isn't always the end all to your stock. It just means you have to be more careful recovering (that is, if your character has the ability to) or change up how you recover. Keep 'em guessing

EpixAura

Smash Journeyman
I edgehog whenever given the opportunity. Friendlies or not, I love to edgehog.
The only time edgehogging is cheap is if you're perfect planking with Wario/MK for 5 minutes straight and then edgehog them to finish up a gimp that was brought to you by your good friend ledge invincibility...
But if you're doing that, you're probably just actively trying to **** someone off, so I guess the point is to be cheap.

I never really considered it to be cheap, but now that I think about it, it really is the most effective gimping tool of any character, as well as extremely easy to do. Never really thought of it that way, but I do not change my standpoint.

FIREL

Smash Ace
I edgehog whenever given the opportunity. Friendlies or not, I love to edgehog.
The only time edgehogging is cheap is if you're perfect planking with Wario/MK for 5 minutes straight and then edgehog them to finish up a gimp that was brought to you by your good friend ledge invincibility...
But if you're doing that, you're probably just actively trying to **** someone off, so I guess the point is to be cheap.

I never really considered it to be cheap, but now that I think about it, it really is the most effective gimping tool of any character, as well as extremely easy to do. Never really thought of it that way, but I do not change my standpoint.
Hmm... never saw it as a gimpimg tool, that changes everything.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero

ACTUALLY...

MK, along with Pikachu, can grab the ledge faster than any other character from a standing position. So, in a way, he actually CAN grab the ledge better than other characters. :awesome:

FIREL

Smash Ace
ACTUALLY...

MK, along with Pikachu, can grab the ledge faster than any other character from a standing position. So, in a way, he actually CAN grab the ledge better than other characters. :awesome:
Noticed that too... a bit annoying sometimes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom