• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Edelgard von Hresvelg - Black Eagles House Leader

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Honestly, at this point Edelgard is tied with Geno for my most wanted. It's been a long time since they made a good Fire Emblem game (not counting the gaiden remake). The last truly great new game in the series was Radiant Dawn on the Wii in ****ing 2007. And this may even be the one to surpass it as my favorite FE game once I finish all the routes. And among all the fantastic characters, Edelgard is one of the most compelling to me. Hopefully we get a second fighter pass with first party characters.

Nihilem

Smash Apprentice
People call Mewtwo, Meta Knight and Dark Pit villains so I'm not surprised people don't know what the word actually means and try to apply it to Edelgard :v
I am not going to go over all arguments again. You can read the discussion if Edelgard is evil/a villain etc a few pages ago. At the end it is dependend onto how you personally define what a villain (or being evil) is - because everyone has a slightly different definition of it.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well, there is still nothing that says there will only be third-party characters in this pass. We may not have really much of a precedent to go on from at all, but last game's DLC still included a first-party in its newcomers. :ultcorrinf:

And no, :mybodyisreggie:'s not the most reliable source to go on from.

D

Deleted member

I am not going to go over all arguments again. You can read the discussion if Edelgard is evil/a villain etc a few pages ago. At the end it is dependend onto how you personally define what a villain (or being evil) is - because everyone has a slightly different definition of it.
"a cruelly malicious person who is involved in or devoted to wickedness or crime; scoundrel; or a character in a play, novel, or the like, who constitutes an important evil agency in the plot"

D

Deleted member

I'd dig any of the four main characters from TH (and would honestly prefer some over El), but put me down as a supporter. Three Houses should be celebrated in Smash as a great FE game.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Is "antagonist" or "anti-villain" a fair compromise? I'm honestly tired of this argument being dug up again.
Honestly, the issue is that what she is depends on the route. In Crimson Flower she's benevolent. In other routes she can be a villain. I haven't played them all, but I take it there are routes where she's in between. She's so different depending on the choices of the professor that it's impossible to define what she is in one blanket statement.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Honestly, the issue is that what she is depends on the route. In Crimson Flower she's benevolent. In other routes she can be a villain. I haven't played them all, but I take it there are routes where she's in between. She's so different depending on the choices of the professor that it's impossible to define what she is in one blanket statement.
Crimson Flower: Anti-Hero who is touched enough by the professor's trust to be willing to bend when appropriate.
Blue Lions: Pure Villain who sinks lower and lower in their methods to crush what she sees as direct opposition to her goals.
Church and Golden Deer: Still antagonistic, but can recognize points made by others and can accept defeat graciously when proven wrong.

Basically she's only driven to pure villainy in one route, and in others where she isn't the protagonist she just happens to stand in the way.

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
There's always talks about Edelgard vs. Byleth, but what about Dmitri and Claude? They're plenty popular as well (in some cases maybe even more than Edelgard) and would also offer something unique than just another swordfighter.

Then there's the VERY off-chance all three house leaders get in to avoid route bias. But three unique chars may be pushing when Awakening only has three reps cause two are echos.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
There's always talks about Edelgard vs. Byleth, but what about Dmitri and Claude? They're plenty popular as well (in some cases maybe even more than Edelgard) and would also offer something unique than just another swordfighter.

Then there's the VERY off-chance all three house leaders get in to avoid route bias. But three unique chars may be pushing when Awakening only has three reps cause two are echos.
I can't even begin to imagine the **** storm that three new fire emblem characters as dlc would incur.

Edelgard is by far the most popular of the three btw. Plus she's the only one who's important on every route.

Last edited:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500

Considering that the DLC characters have all been decided back in last year, who is popular right now isn't really that relevant (and by also looking at the in game data BE was still the most voted route).
Back then Edelgard was the only one that people talked about (in fact she is the one who had a Figma figure in production even before the release of the game), even more than Byleth, and her status as the most prominent Lord of the three in the main story (either as a protagonist or antagonist, she is always a big deal, while the other two are just there in other routes besides their own) make her the most likely choice besides Byleth.

Plus when they added :ultincineroar: and :ultgreninja:(and :ultcharizard: in Smash For) they didn't added the other starters just to avoid bias.

(Although I would love to see Claude too in the game)

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
As far as I see, the most that would be done for TH is to add one of the house leaders and Byleth (to have the "de facto main character" quota covered). Have a hard time seeing anyone else being added unless fans pull a :ultchrom:.

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
Then there's the VERY off-chance all three house leaders get in to avoid route bias.
That sounds wonderful. No silly Pokemon Trainer gimmick. Just three FE characters added as three separate fighters. The chaos that would come out of it would make the Tragedy of Duscar look like a ****ing joke.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I can't even begin to imagine the **** storm that three new fire emblem characters as dlc would incur.

Edelgard is by far the most popular of the three btw. Plus she's the only one who's important on every route.
Pretty much, her significance to the plot kind of means it's actually fair representation to the routes, using her as a rep. It'd only really be Crimson Flower bias if she had Byleth's engagement ring and/or her positive traits got played up more.

As far as I see, the most that would be done for TH is to add one of the house leaders and Byleth (to have the "de facto main character" quota covered). Have a hard time seeing anyone else being added unless fans pull a :ultchrom:.
What are the chances of Byleth getting "chance another dayed" as part of Edie's final smash?

Last edited:

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
While I know it would be time containing to make all three house leaders their own thing: It would be worth it just for the ****storm it would give the Smash community lmao.

Heck in a previous post, I even thought up perfect color alts for them referencing their housemates (which coincidentally enough equal to 8 counting themselves). So that means:

Edelgard could get: Default, Hubert, Bernadetta, Dorothea, Petra, Ferdinand, Caspar, and Linhardt
Dmitri could get: Default, Dedue, Ashe, Felix, Sylvain, Ingrid, Annette, and Mercedes
And Claude could get: Default, Hilda, Lorenz, Ignatz, Raphael, Leonie, Lysithea, and Marianne

Pretty much, her significance to the plot kind of means it's actually fair representation to the routes, using her as a rep. It'd only really be Crimson Flower bias if she had Byleth's engagement ring and/or her positive traits got played up more.

What are the chances of Byleth getting "chance another dayed" as part of Edie's final smash?
Considering how Smash condenses (or in some cases flanderizes) the characterizations of the fighters to their base core, if Edelgard does get in: I see her simply being depicted as a standard stern and driven individual (aka her default characterization) with no additional characterizations unique to a particular route.

Last edited:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
I feel that Edlegard's personality would be based mostly on her school phase one rather than the war one. With maybe a couple of phrases pointing out her feelings for Byleth and her loneliness, maybe as a Victory Screen quote? I feel those aspect are quite important for her character, and are usually shared in all routes as well as in Reach for My Hand/Lady of Hresvelg.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Here's a question. Would Edelgard have her pre or post timeskip design? And would it be possible to include the other as an alt? I'm of the opinion that they can't coexist, as she is in heavy armor post timeskip as opposed to her agile pre timeskip form. And I would think they'd use her post timeskip design since the armor and the special axe would help to make her more unique.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Here's a question. Would Edelgard have her pre or post timeskip design? And would it be possible to include the other as an alt? I'm of the opinion that they can't coexist, as she is in heavy armor post timeskip as opposed to her agile pre timeskip form. And I would think they'd use her post timeskip design since the armor and the special axe would help to make her more unique.
Post, I think. Sakurai's pretty spoiler-happy, so I wouldn't put it past him to go for that design. Plus the pre-skip one can be used for spirit level up purposes.

Your thoughts?
Personally, I think a sheep works better.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Last edited:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
I think they would be alts. RD Ike is a lot more bulky and heavy than PoR Ike yet they still work out well as alts.
And also post timeskip Edelgard is still very agile, being capable of doing backflips when dodging even on full armor, so I feel they would work, especially since the pre-timeskip is by far the more popular and recognizable look between the two.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Post, I think. Sakurai's pretty spoiler-happy, so I wouldn't put it past him to go for that design. Plus the pre-skip one can be used for spirit level up purposes.
How do you enhance her into a fighter spirit? Unless you mean to pull a Zelgius with her...

There's an easy way to consolidate her pre and post differences: make two fighters and call one of them Young! Works for Link.

I think they would be alts. RD Ike is a lot more bulky and heavy than PoR Ike yet they still work out well as alts.
And also post timeskip Edelgard is still very agile, being capable of doing backflips when dodging even on full armor, so I feel they would work, especially since the pre-timeskip is by far the more popular and recognizable look between the two.
Just put young Edelgard in her unmasked disguise getup. Boom! Perfect parity between the two ages. The big shield is something to keep in mind, school uniform doesn't carry them.

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
How do you enhance her into a fighter spirit? Unless you mean to pull a Zelgius with her...

There's an easy way to consolidate her pre and post differences: make two fighters and call one of them Young! Works for Link.

Just put young Edelgard in her unmasked disguise getup. Boom! Perfect parity between the two ages. The big shield is something to keep in mind, school uniform doesn't carry them.
You might want to put that stuff in spoiler tags.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I say it'll be like Ike. Half Academy, half War. War phase Edelgard just won't have her shield (she doesn't have it in cutscenes anyway) and Edelgard was never really depicted as fast even in Academy phase, so the armor shouldn't matter.

I do think she'll have Aymr either way though.

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
Why not both? 4 costumes for her Academy outfit and 4 costumes for her timeskip outfit.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
Why not both? 4 costumes for her Academy outfit and 4 costumes for her timeskip outfit.
I like this idea, but I think it'd be really awesome if we also got a costume of...

the Flame Emperor

It's kind of farfetched, but it seems like the kind of thing Sakurai would do for kicks and giggles.

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
I like this idea, but I think it'd be really awesome if we also got a costume of...

the Flame Emperor

It's kind of farfetched, but it seems like the kind of thing Sakurai would do for kicks and giggles.
I see that as more of a color alt of her Armored Lord costume than a full fledge costume.

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
If we're talking spoilers, what if Edelgard's Final Smash involves
her turning into Hedgemon Edelgard from the Blue Lions route?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
If we're talking spoilers, what if Edelgard's Final Smash involves
her turning into Hedgemon Edelgard from the Blue Lions route?
I don't think they'd go for something like that.
It reminds me too much of when people suggested Grima for Robin's Final Smash. The Hegemon Beast form is supposed to be a sort of last resort when she's lost all other hope of winning, which doesn't really fit being her ultimate move, imo.

I'm banking on a Gambit Boosted Raging Flames, personally, since it's her unique battalion.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I don't think they'd go for something like that.
It reminds me too much of when people suggested Grima for Robin's Final Smash. The Hegemon Beast form is supposed to be a sort of last resort when she's lost all other hope of winning, which doesn't really fit being her ultimate move, imo.

I'm banking on a Gambit Boosted Raging Flames, personally, since it's her unique battalion.
The Hegemon form could be a boss, maybe?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
So what songs would everyone like to come included with Edelgard?

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
  • All of the map themes (including the final boss themes)
  • The pre-timeskip battle preparation theme
  • A new remix of the main Garreg Mach theme
  • Twilight of the Gods just because they can

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Three Houses
-Fódlan Winds (by Yoko Shimomura)
-Tearing Through Heaven (Tomoya Ohtani)
-Edge of Dawn (E3 2018 ver.)
-Tempest of Seasons
-Blue Skies and a Battle/Between Heaven and Earth (by Motoi Sakuraba)
-Chasing Daybreak
-The Apex of the World

Other
-Path of the Hero-King

-What Lies at the End
-Twilight of the Gods

-Dark Emperor Hardin
-Reign of Despair/Forbidden Sanctuary

-Birth of the Holy Knight
-The Final Holy War

-Attack! (Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade) (FE15 ver.)
-In the Name of Bern
-Softly with Grace

-Determination
-The Prince's Despair
-Truth, Hope and Despair

-Storm Clouds (Ablaze)
-Divine Decree (Ablaze)
-Conquest (Ablaze)

-Alight (Storm)
-Misery in Hand
-Dusk Falls
-Past Below/Woleb Tsap

-The World Tree
-Fire Emblem Heroes Medley

D

Deleted member

Apex of the World, Paths That Will Never Cross and Indomitable Will are the main ones I want
i miss when it was called Goodbye, King of Delusions

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
For me absolutely God Shattering Star, Blue Sky and a Battle/Between Heaven and Earth and a remix of Reach for My Hand.

Top Bottom