• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Edelgard von Hresvelg - Black Eagles House Leader

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
I got bored and redid my Edelgard Classic route matches. Guessing which music gets in would be difficult to say for certain, but if I choose the TH songs that play on each round. I'd include links to the music if Nintendo wasn't killing the videos

Round 1: Simon (Kostas)
[Fódlan Winds]

Round 2: Meta Knight (Death Knight)
[Tempest of Seasons]
Odd choice but it did play in that one paralogue Death Knight appears in that requires Mercedes and Caspar.

Round 3: Giant Battle ~ Edelgard and Little Mac (Caspar) and Zelda (Dorothea) vs Giant Bowser (Ch. 5 Demonic Beast)
Single Stock Stamina Battle. Edelgard, Little Mac, and Zelda all have 200%. Giant Bowser has 500%.
[The Verge of Death]

Round 4: Team Battle ~ Edelgard and Ganondorf (Hubert) vs PoR Ike (Dimitri) and King Dedede (Dedue) vs Pit (Claude) and Peach (Hilda)
[Blue Skies and a Battle]

Round 5: Sheik (Kronya)
[Tearing Through Heaven]

Round 6: Palutena (Rhea)
[Roar of Dominion]

Boss: Rathalos (The Immaculate One)
[The Apex of the World]

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I got bored and redid my Edelgard Classic route matches. Guessing which music gets in would be difficult to say for certain, but if I choose the TH songs that play on each round. I'd include links to the music if Nintendo wasn't killing the videos

Round 1: Simon (Kostas)
[Fódlan Winds]

Round 2: Meta Knight (Death Knight)
[Tempest of Seasons]
Odd choice but it did play in that one paralogue Death Knight appears in that requires Mercedes and Caspar.

Round 3: Giant Battle ~ Edelgard and Little Mac (Caspar) and Zelda (Dorothea) vs Giant Bowser (Ch. 5 Demonic Beast)
Single Stock Stamina Battle. Edelgard, Little Mac, and Zelda all have 200%. Giant Bowser has 500%.
[The Verge of Death]

Round 4: Team Battle ~ Edelgard and Ganondorf (Hubert) vs PoR Ike (Dimitri) and King Dedede (Dedue) vs Pit (Claude) and Peach (Hilda)
[Blue Skies and a Battle]

Round 5: Sheik (Kronya)
[Tearing Through Heaven]

Round 6: Palutena (Rhea)
[Roar of Dominion]

Boss: Rathalos (The Immaculate One)
[The Apex of the World]
My only issue is Ganondorf being Hubert. Since Dorf is far more physically imposing, wouldn't Robin work better?

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
So I have a confession to make. I also happened to start with the BE as my first house simply because I found Edel intriguing, however as I progressed through her route I found myself liking her less and less to the point that even though I got her C+ support and made Byleth go to her coronation, my first thought after I was given the choice after the Holy Tomb was "Off with her head!". So long story short, initially Edel was geared to look llike my favorite female character and lord for this FE, yet she, for me, ended up being neither(favorite lord ended up being Claude, favorite female character and by extension favorite S support wound up being Marianne), but I will say this, she is hands down the best written character.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
So I have a confession to make. I also happened to start with the BE as my first house simply because I found Edel intriguing, however as I progressed through her route I found myself liking her less and less to the point that even though I got her C+ support and made Byleth go to her coronation, my first thought after I was given the choice after the Holy Tomb was "Off with her head!". So long story short, initially Edel was geared to look llike my favorite female character and lord for this FE, yet she, for me, ended up being neither(favorite lord ended up being Claude, favorite female character and by extension favorite S support wound up being Marianne), but I will say this, she is hands down the best written character.
Tbh, after beating three routes of Three Houses (Church, Edelgard, Dimitri), I don't know why anyone would think Edelgard would get in before Byleth. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Sorry Edelgard fans. I do quite like her character though.

Troykv

Smash Master
Well; I guess there is a reason why siding with Edelgard it's optional, and you can still change your opinion in literally the very last moment even if you already commited for the first time (going to the coronation)... it's polarizing what she does.

The existence of Silver Snow it's pretty important because of this despite being a bit bland. You get to play the most basic version of the post time-skip story line of defeating Edelgard and some other bad guys (with the only major difference being the twist in the end).

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Tbh, after beating three routes of Three Houses (Church, Edelgard, Dimitri), I don't know why anyone would think Edelgard would get in before Byleth. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Sorry Edelgard fans. I do quite like her character though.
I'm sure many people felt similarly about Chrom in Awakening. But guess who had to get his chance another day? Sakurai doesn't operate by any sort of sense but his own.

I've read somewhere that the three main routes can be seen as parallels for the three big Persona games: Blue Lions is P3 (moving past despair), Golden Deer is P4 (seeking hidden truths) and Black Eagles is P5 (rebelling against a stable, but troubled environment). With that in mind, picture this: if Joker and his band of thieves couldn't steal hearts to bring about change, and instead had to assassinate the corrupt people they target, would that make them less righteous? Some would argue the current method may actually be crueler for the targets than simply dying... near the very end of that game you also have a big choice to make pretty similar to the one you have in Black Eagles:

Do you side with the god who has been controlling humanity through deception and fear in exchange for safety and act as an enforcer to his methods, or continue to rebel for a society that is better equipped to handle their own problems? Rhea is basically Yaldabaoth in this scenario, and just as siding with him is considered the "bad" choice in P5, even if you side with Rhea, S-Supporting has even her come to the conclusion that what she was doing was wrong. One way or another Rhea had to be ousted from power for change to be made, and even if Edelgard wasn't the one to do it, someone else would have. Thales and his cronies would make sure of that.

D

Deleted member

I can sorta get where the hatred for Edelgard comes from, even if I don't agree with it nor can I respect it
BL route tries way too hard to paint her as evil, and no, this isn't BE bias or that BE paints her as "too good" when GD is more consistent with her presented motivations
(I'd upload the screenshots that show how differently Flame Emperor is portrayed in BL vs GD but SB is being SB and won't let me upload images).

Still, I cannot understand how anyone could read her C and C+ supports and still somehow think this girl is evil

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
I can sorta get where the hatred for Edelgard comes from, even if I don't agree with it nor can I respect it
BL route tries way too hard to paint her as evil, and no, this isn't BE bias or that BE paints her as "too good" when GD is more consistent with her presented motivations
(I'd upload the screenshots that show how differently Flame Emperor is portrayed in BL vs GD but SB is being SB and won't let me upload images).

Still, I cannot understand how anyone could read her C and C+ supports and still somehow think this girl is evil
Recently I've come to become neutral on her, but I still don't think the end justifies the means, this is mainly why Verdant Wind is my favorite route, similar goals with far less extreme methods of execution, granted Edel was in fact the one who sparked the change that was sorely needed, but even so I still can't find myself agreeing with her.

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
The character of Edelgard has fulfilled my desire to see a character in Fire Emblem who is the combination of Arvis, Rudolf, Walhart, and Lelouch. Suffice to say, I really like the discussion that has been going on around her and I think she stands out well from past Fire Emblem lords. That's a testament to the quality of writing that Three Houses has. (I rank it with the likes of Path of Radiance and Genealogy.)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I rather doubt that moral concerns like that would prevent an inclusion when some of the characters we have don't exactly have their hands squeaky-clean.

Heck, you can do some morally questionable stuff as :ultsnake: and he doesn't consider himself that much of an hero.

And lest we forget, we have an industrialist who doesn't use the best work ethics. :ultwario:

And then there's the elephant in the room. :ultridley:

That being said, Sakurai did voice his concern about FE swordspeople leaving little room in regards to moveset variety over time, so at this point he only would include them if he had no other choice or his hand was forced.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I rather doubt that moral concerns like that would prevent an inclusion when some of the characters we have don't exactly have their hands squeaky-clean.

Heck, you can do some morally questionable stuff as :ultsnake: and he doesn't consider himself that much of an hero.

And lest we forget, we have an industrialist who doesn't use the best work ethics. :ultwario:

And then there's the elephant in the room. :ultridley:

That being said, Sakurai did voice his concern about FE swordspeople leaving little room in regards to moveset variety over time, so at this point he only would include them if he had no other choice or his hand was forced.
:ultkrool:: Wants to blow up an island and it's inhabitants because they bruised his ego, also a terrible boss.
:ultbayonetta:: Extremely rude and disrespectful to almost everyone, even if she cares deep down. Loves to humiliate others.
:ultkingdedede:: A well-meaning ruler prone to vices of gluttony and envy. Ironically for the cutesy background of his series, is a surprisingly good parallel to Edelgard.
:ultmetaknight:: Also tried to overthrow his planet's regime because things weren't being run to his liking; Kirby proved him wrong, but he still has his own vice in his desire for strong opponents that has led him to make questionable decisions.
:ultganondorf:: Power-hungry. What more needs to be said?

zferolie

Smash Hero
Ok so i havent played this game, and dont plan to, as the FE games are not my cup of tea. But i have been hearing thinga that she could be unique, but that would be a spoiler about her.

Can someone just spoil away about her? Other then her using an ax, what is makimg her so special? I heard that no mayer what route you take she is important, but still, how is this going to affect her playstyle to make her really unique? Like i said feel.free.to spoil as i dont plan on playing it. Why would she be added from FE if they already have so many FR characters?

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
I'm sure many people felt similarly about Chrom in Awakening. But guess who had to get his chance another day? Sakurai doesn't operate by any sort of sense but his own.

I've read somewhere that the three main routes can be seen as parallels for the three big Persona games: Blue Lions is P3 (moving past despair), Golden Deer is P4 (seeking hidden truths) and Black Eagles is P5 (rebelling against a stable, but troubled environment). With that in mind, picture this: if Joker and his band of thieves couldn't steal hearts to bring about change, and instead had to assassinate the corrupt people they target, would that make them less righteous? Some would argue the current method may actually be crueler for the targets than simply dying... near the very end of that game you also have a big choice to make pretty similar to the one you have in Black Eagles:

Do you side with the god who has been controlling humanity through deception and fear in exchange for safety and act as an enforcer to his methods, or continue to rebel for a society that is better equipped to handle their own problems? Rhea is basically Yaldabaoth in this scenario, and just as siding with him is considered the "bad" choice in P5, even if you side with Rhea, S-Supporting has even her come to the conclusion that what she was doing was wrong. One way or another Rhea had to be ousted from power for change to be made, and even if Edelgard wasn't the one to do it, someone else would have. Thales and his cronies would make sure of that.
But unlike Chron, Byleth has a lot of options to be unique. Also like Robin, he's the player character.

Last edited:

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
Ok so i havent played this game, and dont plan to, as the FE games are not my cup of tea. But i have been hearing thinga that she could be unique, but that would be a spoiler about her.

Can someone just spoil away about her? Other then her using an ax, what is makimg her so special? I heard that no mayer what route you take she is important, but still, how is this going to affect her playstyle to make her really unique? Like i said feel.free.to spoil as i dont plan on playing it. Why would she be added from FE if they already have so many FR characters?
You really sure? There's a difference between me and several people here doing an info dump on everything about Edelgard and playing the game/ watching a playthrough of it and experiencing both what the game and Edelgard offers yourself.

I will say that personally what makes Edelgard stand out a lot for me (I would go further to say that she stands out more than the current FE cast in Ultimate's roster) has to do with a mix of story, her character, and the gameplay mechanics of Three Houses.

zferolie

Smash Hero
You really sure? There's a difference between me and several people here doing an info dump on everything about Edelgard and playing the game/ watching a playthrough of it and experiencing both what the game and Edelgard offers yourself.

I will say that personally what makes Edelgard stand out a lot for me (I would go further to say that she stands out more than the current FE cast in Ultimate's roster) has to do with a mix of story, her character, and the gameplay mechanics of Three Houses.
I dont think i will watch any playthroughs of the game soon, and i know i wont be playing it in the forseeable future. If you dont want to go too into detail on the spoilers some key bits may be good

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

All you need to know is that Edelgard is an Armoured lord in her unique class, giving her a towering shield and the ability to shrug off many attacks, making her an interesting type of superheavy with phenomenal defence between those traits, the throwing axes available to those users and Three Houses's newly introduced battalions that can cover a wide range (all lords have a specialty in handling them with authority). That's all before getting into the combat arts which are prime special or interesting normal move material.

That's how I'd distinguish her post-skip design anyway. Pre-skip I'd see more highlighting the customization available in Three Houses by giving her a large variety of weapons to use, and level up their proficiencies with successful hits.

If you discount clones, we currently have five Fire Emblem fighters, significant but it still pales in comparison to Pokemon and Mario, plus characters are the driving force of Fire Emblem games so it only makes sense there's a lot of them. And with over 70 characters, similarities are going to be more and more apparent. I could level "too similar" arguments to the likes of Banjo-Kazooie compared to Duck Hunt in how they both use birds as spears, and everyone was comparing Hero to Robin wondering who would do the limited resource sword mage better. You can't just not add more FE characters when it has become so successful, the devs just have to be smarter about it. Not that I really expect anything from Three Houses in this pass when it's so recent.

But unlike Chron, Byleth has a lot of options to be unique. Also like Robin, he's the player character.
Does he, really? Technically in-game he does, but Smash only really takes default characteristics as that rabbit hole's just too deep. So we have Byleth's class with specialties in sword, faith and brawling. His spell selection is far from impressive as I've only seen one offensive move in that category, Nosferatu, and they sure aren't going to make the healing moves options. Then there's brawling, which is hard to justify when you have disjointed reach with a sword, only really used for jabbing and quick interrupts as we see with Ike and Corrin. So that just leaves the Sword of the Creator, which sometimes turns into a whip. We have distinguished whips on the Belmonts, who have far more varied tools. Without any other distinguishing characteristics (Byleth has superb stats all-around, but no specialty), Byleth really does just amount to another swordfighter, with occasional extended reach like Corrin.

zferolie

Smash Hero
So in theory, she would be our first heavy weight female, and our first defense focused fighter? Like she would be great at defense and blocked or dealing with attacks, while still having her own range with throwing axes. Could be interesting for sure. Different from every other fe character for sure

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
So in theory, she would be our first heavy weight female, and our first defense focused fighter? Like she would be great at defense and blocked or dealing with attacks, while still having her own range with throwing axes. Could be interesting for sure. Different from every other fe character for sure
Female superheavy. Samus is pretty heavy in her suit.

Despite that, though, Edelgard is actually pretty short, around Little Mac's height.

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
Despite that, though, Edelgard is actually pretty short, around Little Mac's height.
Worse. She's shorter than Little Mac. As Little Mac is based on his appearance from Punch Out Wii, he's 5'7"/170cm. Edelgard is 5'2"/158cm and she never gets a growth spurt like Dimitri and Bernadetta do after the timeskip.
But Smash never really follows canon heights so Edelgard would probably be taller than Little Mac. Her being the shortest FE fighter is always a possibility.

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
There is also the matter of the Crests, Gambits/Battalions, and Combat Arts.

In Three Houses, Combat Arts are powerful skills that use up an amount of a weapon's durability in order to deliver strong attacks. These Combat Arts can vary in their effects; for example, one combat art, Smash, simply deals more damage than a regular attack, while another, Monster Piercer, is a specialized attack that deals more damage when used on a monster unit. Having Edelgard use her axe, Aymr, gives her access to the combat art Raging Storm, an attack that is deadly to dragons and gives the character a free turn (ala Galeforce) if it lands. Implementing Aymr's effect in Smash would be something like there being a chance from RNG to make the end lag of one of Edelgard's attacks be significantly shorter than usual and leaving her to do additional options.

For Gambits and Battalions: Battalions are armies of mooks that surround a character on a map. This was implemented by one of 3H's game directors as he felt that it was becoming more difficult to demonstrate war with just one-v-one battles in past Fire Emblem games in this gaming generation. But these Battalions are not for show though, they are instrumental for a character to execute Gambits, AOE attacks that are critical to weakening monsters and incapacitating enemy soldiers and units.

These Gambits can vary in the size of their AOE; one might just affect two spaces in front the character, while another might be a massive amount of spaces in front of the character. Using some gambits might also have different effects; one might switch the positions of the character and the enemy unit that it was executed on, one might push an enemy back, and so forth. Either way, Gambits incapacitate units that are affected, leaving them unable to move for one turn. Something like a shield break or sleep status effect, except you can't button mash your way out of it would be very interesting to see.

Oh yeah, I almost forget, some Combat Arts have AOE damage like Gambits.

Crests are blessings that grant different powers and properties to characters and are triggered randomly by RNG. One crest can heal a unit if an attack lands, another raises the damage of the attack, another can randomly no-sell an enemy attack. Without diving into spoilers, the power of Crests give Edelgard the ability to randomly deal more damage than usual, shut down enemy counterattacks, and/or heal if an attack lands. How would crests work in Smash? Think Command Selection with Psyche Up, Kaclang (minus the metal effect and stillness), and Heal, except you have no control over when it happens and what effect it chooses. Don't forget the random crits that come along with it.

With Hero bringing along RNG, I personally find that there is no excuse now for a Fire Emblem character to not bring along RNG. Crests can justify Edelgard having RNG and the gameplay mechanics of Three Houses implemented into Edelgard can allow for a fresher, more exciting character than the current FE cast if implemented in the right way.

Personally, my implementation of Edelgard sees her using a twist on Robin's durability mechanic as well as Joker's Rebellion gauge, except her specials and attack animations change based on the axe she wields. When she has a regular axe, her attacks and specials are standard. But when she pulls out Aymr, her specials change to Combat Arts which deal more damage and have different animations, and she becomes a much more dangerous fighter as a result. She also has her Crest mechanic, which either randomly boosts her attack power, randomly negates an enemy attack regardless of strength, or randomly heals her if an attack lands. Unlike Hero's crits, Edelgard's crest mechanic applies to all her attacks, not just smash attacks. Thought Hero's smash attacks were "fair and balanced"? Wait until you see all of Edelgard's attacks have RNG attached to them. My final Smash would either be a Combat Art, or a Gambit. Don't know which one to pick. Oh, and if she has Aymr out, there is a chance her end lag is significantly short after throwing out an attack.

Female superheavy. Samus is pretty heavy in her suit.

She's 5'2. By Smash standards, her short stature would stand out a lot; she's shorter than Little Mac in Smash! Even if they rescale her proportions, she would probably a head shorter than Marth/Lucina!

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
There is also the matter of the Crests, Gambits/Battalions, and Combat Arts.

In Three Houses, Combat Arts are powerful skills that use up an amount of a weapon's durability in order to deliver strong attacks. These Combat Arts can vary in their effects; for example, one combat art, Smash, simply deals more damage than a regular attack, while another, Monster Piercer, is a specialized attack that deals more damage when used on a monster unit. Having Edelgard use her axe, Aymr, gives her access to the combat art Raging Storm, an attack that is deadly to dragons and gives the character a free turn (ala Galeforce) if it lands. Implementing Aymr's effect in Smash would be something like there being a chance from RNG to make the end lag of one of Edelgard's attacks be significantly shorter than usual and leaving her to do additional options.

For Gambits and Battalions: Battalions are armies of mooks that surround a character on a map. This was implemented by one of 3H's game directors as he felt that it was becoming more difficult to demonstrate war with just one-v-one battles in past Fire Emblem games in this gaming generation. But these Battalions are not for show though, they are instrumental for a character to execute Gambits, AOE attacks that are critical to weakening monsters and incapacitating enemy soldiers and units.

These Gambits can vary in the size of their AOE; one might just affect two spaces in front the character, while another might be a massive amount of spaces in front of the character. Using some gambits might also have different effects; one might switch the positions of the character and the enemy unit that it was executed on, one might push an enemy back, and so forth. Either way, Gambits incapacitate units that are affected, leaving them unable to move for one turn. Something like a shield break or sleep status effect, except you can't button mash your way out of it would be very interesting to see.

Oh yeah, I almost forget, some Combat Arts have AOE damage like Gambits.

Crests are blessings that grant different powers and properties to characters and are triggered randomly by RNG. One crest can heal a unit if an attack lands, another raises the damage of the attack, another can randomly no-sell an enemy attack. Without diving into spoilers, the power of Crests give Edelgard the ability to randomly deal more damage than usual, shut down enemy counterattacks, and/or heal if an attack lands. How would crests work in Smash? Think Command Selection with Psyche Up, Kaclang (minus the metal effect and stillness), and Heal, except you have no control over when it happens and what effect it chooses. Don't forget the random crits that come along with it.

With Hero bringing along RNG, I personally find that there is no excuse now for a Fire Emblem character to not bring along RNG. Crests can justify Edelgard having RNG and the gameplay mechanics of Three Houses implemented into Edelgard can allow for a fresher, more exciting character than the current FE cast if implemented in the right way.

Personally, my implementation of Edelgard sees her using a twist on Robin's durability mechanic as well as Joker's Rebellion gauge, except her specials and attack animations change based on the axe she wields. When she has a regular axe, her attacks and specials are standard. But when she pulls out Aymr, her specials change to Combat Arts which deal more damage and have different animations, and she becomes a much more dangerous fighter as a result. She also has her Crest mechanic, which either randomly boosts her attack power, randomly negates an enemy attack regardless of strength, or randomly heals her if an attack lands. Unlike Hero's crits, Edelgard's crest mechanic applies to all her attacks, not just smash attacks. Thought Hero's smash attacks were "fair and balanced"? Wait until you see all of Edelgard's attacks have RNG attached to them. My final Smash would either be a Combat Art, or a Gambit. Don't know which one to pick. Oh, and if she has Aymr out, there is a chance her end lag is significantly short after throwing out an attack.

She's 5'2. By Smash standards, her short stature would stand out a lot; she's shorter than Little Mac in Smash! Even if they rescale her proportions, she would probably a head shorter than Marth/Lucina!
Not gonna lie, this is an awful sales pitch. All this talk of RNG is going to make her sound terrible to a lot of people, myself included. Not to mention you went out of your way to say she'd be broken.

There is no reason she has to have RNG. She can do plenty without it, and crests could easily be implemented in a less contraversial way.

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
Not gonna lie, this is an awful sales pitch. All this talk of RNG is going to make her sound terrible to a lot of people, myself included. Not to mention you went out of your way to say she'd be broken.

There is no reason she has to have RNG. She can do plenty without it, and crests could easily be implemented in a less contraversial way.
Probably why I am not majoring in marketing.

Last edited:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
I understand that feeling, I was quite neutral on Dimitri during BE but now I'm Ch20 of BL and I really despise him and his story, since he does even worse things that Edelgard for no real reason, and I always hated the message that "depression/trauma excuses everything horrible you do".
Edelgard surely is extreme in her methods, but she was almost forced to do that and also it was necessary to start the change. As much as Claude is against her methods, his owns wouldn't have brought up the changes he also wanted. The war was indeed necessary, it's just that nobody besides Edelgard wanted to get their hands dirty. That's what I really like about Edelgard, she knows that sometimes hard choices have to be made, and despite her traumas, she doesn't seek revenge but an improvement of Fodland's society so that nobody else has to suffer what she had to.

I made an example a couple of pages back in order to explain Edelgard's situation, which was that of a person tied up on a chair in a room full of sleeping children and a man with a knife who wants to kill all of them, and this person has a gun with a single bullet. Which is the right thing? Killing the man in order to save the defenseless children or not "doing the bad thing" and just watch him kill everyone? That was literally Edelgard's situation.

Mostly because Edelgard is very prominent in all routes, and has a stand out role even in the School Phase despite the house you chose, making her the clear stand out among the 3 lords of the game.

But I too think that Byleth is more likely, but I also tought that Chrom was a shoe in and Robin was not, and yet Sakurai surprised everyone with that. Nobody really knows Sakurai's method of choice, maybe he would feel uninterested in adding the third in a row FE character that is an avatar with yet another sword and even less of a personality, and behind Byleth Edelgard is the most outstanding character in FE 3H, as an Axe which also is a never before seen weapon in Smash, could be used as the "villain" for FE just like how Meta-Knight, Mewtwo and Dark Pit are used for their series respectively, has a way more defined personality and so on.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Some inevitable talking points I missed:

For her morality, Edelgard acts too self-assured/self-righteous and too extreme on limited information imo. Her end goal might be beneficial, but neiher her means of doing so nor her view on the full situation justify it. The Church of Seiros has a lot of mythos that Edelgard either denounces or twists to her view, despite the actual situation being different.

I don't think Edelgard will make it in over Byleth. Byleth on his own is unique enough not to force a Chrom situation and despite Azura existing in Fates, the dev team still went with Corrin, despite the latter having the popularity and personality of wet cardboard and Azura being arguably more unique. I'd prefer Edelgard thanks to her portrayal in-game and her previously discussed morally grayness, but I sadly see no plausible scenario where Edelgard breaks the curse of the avatar. The Three Houses mechanics can be properly represented by Byleth as well and even then Corrin didn't use the Dragon's Vein terraforming in favor of using their unique weapon more. (Whipsword for Byleth probably)

If Edelgard were to make it, I want an alt of her "disguise" I love that design. Too bad it's a pipe dream since I'm also still waiting on hooded Robin.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Some inevitable talking points I missed:

For her morality, Edelgard acts too self-assured/self-righteous and too extreme on limited information imo. Her end goal might be beneficial, but neiher her means of doing so nor her view on the full situation justify it. The Church of Seiros has a lot of mythos that Edelgard either denounces or twists to her view, despite the actual situation being different.

I don't think Edelgard will make it in over Byleth. Byleth on his own is unique enough not to force a Chrom situation and despite Azura existing in Fates, the dev team still went with Corrin, despite the latter having the popularity and personality of wet cardboard and Azura being arguably more unique. I'd prefer Edelgard thanks to her portrayal in-game and her previously discussed morally grayness, but I sadly see no plausible scenario where Edelgard breaks the curse of the avatar. The Three Houses mechanics can be properly represented by Byleth as well and even then Corrin didn't use the Dragon's Vein terraforming in favor of using their unique weapon more. (Whipsword for Byleth probably)

If Edelgard were to make it, I want an alt of her "disguise" I love that design. Too bad it's a pipe dream since I'm also still waiting on hooded Robin.
Azura is a dancer/singer, they're terrible fighters by default and are used mainly to get other units to move twice. As we see with the Earthbound kids, you do not include moves designed exclusively to support others. Dragon Veins also are a stage feature, not a character one since any noble in Fates can use them, not just Corrin.

...Why are we giving each other such a hard time about this, though? The chances of both Byleth and Edelgard getting in are considerable too, and could represent more of Three Houses than they could individually. Past trends don't mean much, I remember threads on here wondering if western characters would ever get in, but look where we are now: :ultbanjokazooie:.

Yes, it sucks that Edelgard never learns the full truth nor is she particularly interested in doing so when it could possibly open more peaceful avenues of change. But would it really change how she views things overall? No, because to her the system is still really bad and the reasons why don't matter to her.

When she talks about the war a millenium ago, she refers to it as a "dispute", neither condemning nor condoning either side, even if you may think that Thales would try to present Nemesis in a positive light. All that matters to her is that Seiros won, and has since used that victory and her immortality to rule over Fodlan, keep it locked in stasis and dependency and crush all dissidents mercilessly. Edelgard would never have been able to get Rhea's side of the story, because that would jeopardize the latter's whole plans. She can't even tell the people closest to her the full details, and has to have everything fall apart in front of her to even consider being truthful. It's enough to drive even Claude to a rage. The "why" of the past is largely irrelevant now, and doesn't excuse anything.

Sigran101 Sigran101 Not to mention, Smash seldom pays attention to small stat details like that for FE characters. Like why doesn't Ike's Aether heal himself or do bonus damage to shields. Even if random crest effects were a thing their effects would probably be far more mild than Hero crits (double damage, FE crits are triple damage, why do you think it's relegated to a Final Smash?), like 5% extra damage or small heals based on damage done. You don't plan on crest activations in Three Houses so it's really a very minor thing to worry about.

Last edited:

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
Not going to lie: Part of me wanted to side with Edelgard even MORE after that reveal, mainly cause I wanted to live out my fantasy of having a morally-grey protagonist after seeing WAY too many goody two-shoes characters (mainly from shounen works) in media - as in those who end up being too idealistic with their "power of friendship" BS.

I always did have a personal pet peeve towards "white knight"/chivalry incarnate characters who always spout being do-gooders, but sometimes felt they were as forceful with their mindset just as much as the evil villains they keep preaching at.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Not going to lie: Part of me wanted to side with Edelgard even MORE after that reveal, mainly cause I wanted to live out my fantasy of having a morally-grey protagonist after seeing WAY too many goody two-shoes characters (mainly from shounen works) in media - as in those who end up being too idealistic with their "power of friendship" BS.

I always did have a personal pet peeve towards "white knight"/chivalry incarnate characters who always spout being do-gooders, but sometimes felt they were as forceful with their mindset just as much as the evil villains they keep preaching at.
Yes, that's another reason why I love Edelgard so much and despise Dimitri (of which I've just finished his route thankfully).
Dimitri is literally that, he condemns Edelgard for following her ideals while also keep stating that people should fight for their dreams, and he also enforces in battle his vision of
preserving the present without even questioning why so many people wanted to change it, while blindly following the Church. When he said that during the final battle I realized just how I hate those kinds of characters

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I don't hate Dimitri as a character(I don't think I could hate any character to the same point some people hate Edelgard) but
I can't agree with him as an individual at any level.
He's a great character and I like how he's one of the few depictions in fiction of an actually twisted person by their lust for revenge and a deconstruction of the usual FE lord but his ideals and views on the world are just too limited.
As Edelgard says, he'd be a good ruler in a peaceful time, but overall, he has no problems with the currently crumbling system besides a middle ground stance on Crest reliance. He never even so much as questions the Church which is by far the biggest issue Fodlan currently has despite his initial disgust at being forced to kill Lonato's men under their orders, doesn't take into consideration his own privilege under the nobility system fully believing it's a system that allows "the strong to protect the weak", and he doesn't have any interest of actually finding out what's going on since he takes everything at face value.

He'd be a fair ruler but his only real strength as a leader is keeping things stable.

Troykv

Smash Master
I don't hate Dimitri as a character(I don't think I could hate any character to the same point some people hate Edelgard) but
He's a great character and I like how he's one of the few depictions in fiction of an actually twisted person by their lust for revenge and a deconstruction of the usual FE lord but his ideals and views on the world are just too limited.
As Edelgard says, he'd be a good ruler in a peaceful time, but overall, he has no problems with the currently crumbling system besides a middle ground stance on Crest reliance. He never even so much as questions the Church which is by far the biggest issue Fodlan currently has despite his initial disgust at being forced to kill Lonato's men under their orders, doesn't take into consideration his own privilege under the nobility system fully believing it's a system that allows "the strong to protect the weak", and he doesn't have any interest of actually finding out what's going on since he takes everything at face value.

He'd be a fair ruler but his only real strength as a leader is keeping things stable.
Sometimes I feel that Dimitri was designed as Camus

Which is admitently more obvious in Crimson Flower than in other paths of the story.

He believes in chivalry and in getting the things done in the way his superiors wants it to be done; he has his disagreements with how the world is working, but he can't do anything to oppose them directly; just like a Camus acts.

At best they can try to make things not-so-bad... Which funnily enough, it's how I felt the ending of BL is... it's the version of the story where the world changes the least, with the most important differences compared with the times pre-war being:
  1. The fact Faerghus now it's practically a Empire, and with that Dimitri is King/Emperor of the whole Fodlan (something that is shared in all the endings; Edelgard becomes the absolute emperor of Adrestia/Fodlan in Crimson Flower, and Byleth in Silver Snow/Verdant Wind)
  2. The slitherins dissaparead for a unknown amount of time (the only story where TWSITD aren't officially defeated as far as I remember, not even in additional ending text).
  3. Dimitri makes some changes in the political structure that might eventually evolve in some kind of republic in the long term.
  4. Rhea apparently dissapears. This is the only version of the story where Rhea survives unconditionally because she was never put in dragon madness after fighting Thales, or ended up dying of weakness trying to give Byleth power to deal with the old man; or the case of Crimson Flower where she is outright killed.

Last edited:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500

Absolutely. I would specify that when I say that I hate Dimitri I don't mean that he is a bad written character or that he isn't an interesting character study of a classic archetype of FE protagonist, I mean it in the semse that if I met him I would punch him in the face for how many our differences are lol.
And after 70+ hours with him I'm finally relieved that I .ca go with Claude now, which is more of my cup of tea.

Sometimes I feel that Dimitri was designed as Camus

Which is admitently more obvious in Crimson Flower than in other paths of the story.

He believes in chivalry and in getting the things done in the way his superiors wants it to be done; he has his disagreements with how the world is working, but he can't do anything to oppose them directly; just like a Camus acts.

At best they can try to make things not-so-bad... Which funnily enough, it's how I felt the ending of BL is... it's the version of the story where the world changes the least, with the most important differences compared with the times pre-war being:
  1. The fact Faerghus now it's practically a Empire, and with that Dimitri is King/Emperor of the whole Fodlan (something that is shared in all the endings; Edelgard becomes the absolute emperor of Adrestia/Fodlan in Crimson Flower, and Byleth in Silver Snow/Verdant Wind)
  2. The slitherins dissaparead for a unknown amount of time (the only story where TWSITD aren't officially defeated as far as I remember, not even in additional ending text).
  3. Dimitri makes some changes in the political structure that might eventually evolve in some kind of republic in the long term.
  4. Rhea apparently dissapears. This is the only version of the story where Rhea survives unconditionally because she was never put in dragon madness after fighting Thales, or ended up dying of weakness trying to give Byleth power to deal with the old man; or the case of Crimson Flower where she is outright killed.
I also see some traits of Berkut in Dimitri, mostly their slow descent into madness driven by thirst for revenge and basically being pawns of bigger powers.

And also the black armour and blue cape...

Troykv

Smash Master
I also see some traits of Berkut in Dimitri, mostly their slow descent into madness driven by thirst for revenge and basically being pawns of bigger powers.

And also the black armour and blue cape...
That is a interesting detail to consider when we know that Marianne it's the only non-BL/Neutral Character that Dimitri supports. What a coincidence...

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
So how would you guys like her trailer to go?

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
My idea would be a possesed Palutena (maybe by Galeem) is fighting against Pit and Marth, and when the situation is dire she appears on top of a hill with an entire army behind her (maybe composed by other Smash characters, since Palutena is among the last characters you can unlock in WoL) coming to rescue them.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
My idea would be a possesed Palutena (maybe by Galeem) is fighting against Pit and Marth, and when the situation is dire she appears on top of a hill with an entire army behind her (maybe composed by other Smash characters, since Palutena is among the last characters you can unlock in WoL) coming to rescue them.
Possessed Palutena is a good call.

For the tag line, I'm thinking maybe "EDELGARD Soars into Battle!" could work.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I imagine we'd get an animated trailer using the same style as the Three Houses cutscenes such as this one.

Edelgard would be training with someone in the courtyard (maybe Ferdinand?) and she'd easily defeat him. Everyone would be impressed and even Dimitri and Claude could be watching (this is all pre-timeskip of course). Seteth would then walk in and tell Edelgard that he received a very strange letter from an unknown source that is addressed for her. Edelgard takes the letter, reads it, and then says that she is ready to take on any opponent. Cue tagline and gameplay trailer.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I imagine we'd get an animated trailer using the same style as the Three Houses cutscenes such as this one.

Edelgard would be training with someone in the courtyard (maybe Ferdinand?) and she'd easily defeat him. Everyone would be impressed and even Dimitri and Claude could be watching (this is all pre-timeskip of course). Seteth would then walk in and tell Edelgard that he received a very strange letter from an unknown source that is addressed for her. Edelgard takes the letter, reads it, and then says that she is ready to take on any opponent. Cue tagline and gameplay trailer.
"Flayn told me she wants to "Smash Bros." Edelgard, I beg you, please investigate where she heard such vulgar language."

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

Unless this reveal is meant to segue into one for Byleth too, this is kind of lacking in buildup or misdirection.

I see one alternative as a clash between two armies on the battlefield, one of which is led by Roy. He would eventually mount an offensive himself, but just as he's about to unleash a fiery finale on some soldiers, Edelgard warps in and blocks the attack, creating an inferno aftermath she slowly walks through for the reveal, her terrifying and noble aspects cemented in equal fashion.

Takes Command seems more apt as a tagline.

Edit: About the Dimitri talk... it's not just him, the entire country of Faerghus seems to encourage a black-and-white mentality. Tales of chivalry are glorified by almost everyone there to the point of borderline propaganda, to the point of many seeing aspiring to be like them being catch-all solution to your potential problems, evne when all it really does is bury them. The church really is influencing them...

Last edited:
Top Bottom