• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Edelgard von Hresvelg - Black Eagles House Leader

Icelerate

Smash Apprentice
Who do you think would be a better pick for axe lord in Smash, Edelgard or Hector?

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Personally I'd prefer Byleth for having more in the way of abilities, but I did start with the Black Eagles - I'll support.

Honestly, Hubert really comes off as one who might potentially be a member of Those Who Slighter In The Dark. Like he’s an insider, influencing Edelgard’s ambitions. He’s also a dark mage, like the majority of them, and his design and creepiness also doesn’t well at all.

Also no I don’t ‘dislike’ Edelgard, but I do view her as a villain. Choosing her side just feels wrong to me. And I can appreciate a good villain. I personally think FE villains as Ashnard, Zephiel and Camus are very well written, and can enjoy them greatly. I just think of Edelgard as... insincere, brooding and extremist to a fault.

Anyway, playing Golden Deer, and might do Crimson Rose next cause I read the Church route is very similar to Golden Deer. Can anyone confirm this?

This particular message of yours isn't about Edelgard specifically, but the point still stands. I feel like a big part about Three Houses in general is that Byleth's guidance is what brings out the best in each of the house leaders. On her own route, Edelgard is honestly an anti-hero at worst. Same goes more or less for Hubert as well, who really ends up being more overly loyal and pragmatic than anything else.

Last edited:

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
As someone who is still in the middle of the Black Eagles route, but already experiencing Edelgard's character through her supports and the story: I personally DO want her in Smash over Byleth. Assuming there HAS to be another FE character (hopefully in a 2nd Season Pass): Sakurai must know that the FE side is getting stale in terms of playstyle, but also aesthetic (like come on, there's four blue-haired swordsmen/women in there!) and Corrin was only added in to advertise Fates (which I hear was pretty devisive).

Seeing as Edelgard's the new hotness (well all three leaders are, but she's mainly seen as the "face" of Three Houses) AND would bring something new to the table: Being a female, using an axe, and from what I've seen of spoilers (thankfully I have no context of how I feel until I actually finish the game)

It sounds like a win-win. The huge downside would be that it would rile up Dmitri/Claude fans especially when they could see this as Nintendo's subtle way of making Edelgard the "canon" route. Then there's me imagining all three leaders get in so every Three Houses fan is happy (cue the Smash community freaking out again lol).

Then again I said the same think about Elma, and yet everyone and their mother (including Sakurai himself) are all over Rex's generic shounen ass so in the end it will just be Byleth to fan the flames further.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
As someone who is still in the middle of the Black Eagles route, but already experiencing Edelgard's character through her supports and the story: I personally DO want her in Smash over Byleth. Assuming there HAS to be another FE character (hopefully in a 2nd Season Pass): Sakurai must know that the FE side is getting stale in terms of playstyle, but also aesthetic (like come on, there's four blue-haired swordsmen/women in there!) and Corrin was only added in to advertise Fates (which I hear was pretty devisive).

Seeing as Edelgard's the new hotness (well all three leaders are, but she's mainly seen as the "face" of Three Houses) AND would bring something new to the table: Being a female, using an axe, and from what I've seen of spoilers (thankfully I have no context of how I feel until I actually finish the game)

It sounds like a win-win. The huge downside would be that it would rile up Dmitri/Claude fans especially when they could see this as Nintendo's subtle way of making Edelgard the "canon" route. Then there's me imagining all three leaders get in so every Three Houses fan is happy (cue the Smash community freaking out again lol).
Yeah...Sak even joked "gee, there sure are a lot of characters using swords, you'd think they'd use an axe every once in a while". That probably was a subtle jab at swords being the weapon of predilection for FE these days.

With any luck, with Nintendo picking some of the DLC, they would have had more than enough time and research to see that Edel's the biggest deal. Less of a hit or miss deal than with the Alola starter.

And if Byleth's picked anyway, someone somewhere 's tone-deaf, and I have no idea who.

Last edited:

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
Yeah...Sak even joked "gee, there sure are a lot of characters using swords, you'd think they'd use an axe every once in a while". That probably was a subtle jab at swords being the weapon of predilection for FE these days.

With any luck, with Nintendo picking some of the DLC, they would have had more than enough time and research to see that Edel's the biggest deal. Less of a hit or miss deal than with the Alola starter.

And if Byleth's picked anyway, someone somewhere 's tone-deaf, and I have no idea who.
Even if it's Nintendo choosing the possible characters, it's still up to Sakurai to decided if he can make a moveset out of them. Unless Nintendo wants to gauge the popularity of the Three Houses characters long-term first BEFORE they add a character in Smash (and from what I see, it looks like Edelgard may be falling off a bit, if only now that the game is out). I don't see any Three Houses rep happening in the current Season Pass, but it also depends if there is more support after the current one or if Sakurai will officially close the door on Ultimate content like he did with Bayonetta in Smash 4.

If Byleth gets picked, it's just Nintendo/Sakurai playing safe which while understandable (as they're still a business) would upset a LOT of people.

Nihilem

Smash Apprentice
I dont think we have any realistic chances for Edelgard in DLC Pack 1..... if their is any DLC Pack 2 however ...

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
Just for a fun discussion: Assuming there's Three Houses-related content (whether they come with a DLC fighter or just a random update): What spirits do you see the students being and what are their rules/conditions? I see plenty about the three leaders on the Spirit Idea thread, but none yet about the remaining Black Eagles/Blue Lions/Golden Deers.

I dont think we have any realistic chances for Edelgard in DLC Pack 1..... if their is any DLC Pack 2 however ...
Same, feel like the current pass is solely third party reps. Then there's the possibility/worry that this may be the only Season Pass Ultimate is going to get, which would be a huge missed opportunity considering how big Ultimate is and how the Switch is doing miles better than the Wii U. Heck didn't they say that the reason Smash 4 stayed stagnant until Ultimate was because Sakurai was focusing on Ultimate already?

Let's just hope Smash 6 isn't any time this generation...

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Just for a fun discussion: Assuming there's Three Houses-related content (whether they come with a DLC fighter or just a random update): What spirits do you see the students being and what are their rules/conditions? I see plenty about the three leaders on the Spirit Idea thread, but none yet about the remaining Black Eagles/Blue Lions/Golden Deers.

Same, feel like the current pass is solely third party reps. Then there's the possibility/worry that this may be the only Season Pass Ultimate is going to get, which would be a huge missed opportunity considering how big Ultimate is and how the Switch is doing miles better than the Wii U. Heck didn't they say that the reason Smash 4 stayed stagnant until Ultimate was because Sakurai was focusing on Ultimate already?

Let's just hope Smash 6 isn't any time this generation...
This is a good start:

https://www.reddit.com/r/fireemblem/comments/cq7mpr/recreating_the_power_struggle_of_fe3h/

I could see Bernadetta as a female Villager that tends to run away and use slingshot accompanied by a Piranha Plant, Dorothea as Bayonetta (1 costume) with a Meloetta Pokeball, Linhardt as Hero (IV) with a sleepy floor, Ingrid as Lissa Lucina with floaty jumps, Petra as Sheik with a Killing Edge...

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Who do you think would be a better pick for axe lord in Smash, Edelgard or Hector?
Frankly, Hector has axes... and that's pretty much it. That alone pretty much would just make him an Ike echo.

The older Fire Emblem games and their characters sadly don't have much to offer that we haven't seen in Smash anymore.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Unlike many, I was never a fan of Hector in the first place, so obviously Edelgard. And just in general, there's more to pull from Three Houses for Edelgard than there is for Hector.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Frankly, Hector has axes... and that's pretty much it. That alone pretty much would just make him an Ike echo.

The older Fire Emblem games and their characters sadly don't have much to offer that we haven't seen in Smash anymore.
Fans generally do want some of those characters out of genuine affection for them, regardless of practicability. Not that it really matters since FE picks get the Pokémon treatment in regards to selection anyway...

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Fans generally do want some of those characters out of genuine affection for them, regardless of practicability. Not that it really matters since FE picks get the Pokémon treatment in regards to selection anyway...
Perhaps they could campaign for an Echoes-style remake, although I'd imagine Binding Blade would be somewhat higher priority due to giving western (Roy) fans a chance to officially experience the game.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Perhaps they could campaign for an Echoes-style remake, although I'd imagine Binding Blade would be somewhat higher priority due to giving western (Roy) fans a chance to officially experience the game.
Now that you mention it, didn't they express interest in making Fire Emblem Echoes into a full-on spinoff series or something? I wonder if they still plan on it.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

Hector wouldn’t be an Ike Echo. Not at all. Ike swings his blade different than Hector swings his axe. There’s no way they’d do that, even if Hector obviously would be more similar to Ike than other characters. But in that regard, Byleth also would be more similar to the Belmonts than others. There’s similarities but not enough to make them Echoes, more like Kirby / Jigglypuff and their similarities.

Anyway, speaking if older FE Lords being less unique, I disagree. There’s still ones that would be quite unique and make many fans happy, like Lyn. She might also just use a sword, but the way she does it so would allow for a total different play style. She’s still a big fan request and might eventually make it because of her popularity.

But yeah I think Edelgard might indeed have a sort of chance for Smash, but then I would guess the second wave of DLC for Ultimate would probably be announced sooner than later. Seeing as Hero and Banjo basically had 75% of their move set already shown when they got showcased, there’s a big chance a new wave of DLC would be in production right now. I bet Banjo and the next character are also probably almost finished, but need a little tweaking and balancing in order to be released.

So yeah I could see Edelgard getting in, but the next DLC wave would have to have to be purely directed at new promotional Nintendo characters. And which other characters would come with that? I would estimate some character important to Breath of the Wild 2 or Metroid Prime 4, or some other upcoming title we haven’t yet heard about. I’m kind of surprised by the lack of Corrin / Greninja “relevant” newcomers honestly... it’s what sold Smash 4. I can’t see them fully abandon that theme of newcomers, much like I sort of except a old skool retro newcomer if we get Nintendo DLC character should next wave.

Then again, I won’t expect more characters than we’ve been given now. I imagine Fire Emblem and Pokémon are easy selections when it comes to new relevant meat to the roster, but it could go anyway. I won’t expect more than 5 of them either, since 5 is what we’re getting now. And of course, Byleth would still hinder Edelgard’s chances a lot, being the main character... but I could be wrong of course.

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
I just hope they don't pull another Corrin. Sakurai got lucky that Greninja was widely-accepted by the Pokemon fandom, but it seems like the FE community is mixed to negative about Corrin character and story-wise.

Edelgard based on what I see seems to be the most popular (or at least the most-talked about which I see is a good thing) among the three leaders. Mind you, this isn't factoring the long run but unless Nintendo/Sakurai pulled the same thing on her with what they did with Greninja; I worry they'll just go with Byleth to play things safe even IF Sakurai is probably aware that the FE cast is getting stagnant with its blue-haired sword users.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I think Edelgard's chances and indeed the chances of any Three Houses Rep are intrinsically linked to how long the next FE game takes. I seriously doubt we'll get a Corrin situation and have the MC of that game suddenly be in Smash but it's all linked into sequel vs wave 2.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I just hope they don't pull another Corrin. Sakurai got lucky that Greninja was widely-accepted by the Pokemon fandom, but it seems like the FE community is mixed to negative about Corrin character and story-wise.

Edelgard based on what I see seems to be the most popular (or at least the most-talked about which I see is a good thing) among the three leaders. Mind you, this isn't factoring the long run but unless Nintendo/Sakurai pulled the same thing on her with what they did with Greninja; I worry they'll just go with Byleth to play things safe even IF Sakurai is probably aware that the FE cast is getting stagnant with its blue-haired sword users.
They could just give Byleth the green hair as a promoted class? I mean, that best represents the character.

Also I was talking about Corrin because the character was very recent. Three Houses is already out , but Byleth or Edelgard would still be very recent characters. And Rex got denied for being too recent.. I’m not thinking we get anything all too new yet. But I’d be pleasantly surprised if we did.

Last edited:

LoZ00

Smash Journeyman
I’m sorry, but since I’m playing the Blue Lions route I absolutely don’t want Edelgard to join in.

On the other hand, I find Byleth to be quite interesting, but a bit unlikely.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500

Edelgard was very popular right after the first trailer back at E3 2018, the BE house is the most chosen according to some in game data and she has a Figma Figure if her in the works (which has already a prototype).
It's fair to say that she is quite popular, so I doubt that her hypothetical inclusion would see the same backlash that Corrin (or Incineroar) did receive.

Last edited:

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
I’m sorry, but since I’m playing the Blue Lions route I absolutely don’t want Edelgard to join in.

On the other hand, I find Byleth to be quite interesting, but a bit unlikely.
And I'm sorry, but you lost me at "Playing Blue Lions route". Seems to be a common trend around online...

Byleth to me is the "safe" option, albeit one I hope Nintendo/Sakurai doesn't take if they do decide on a Three Houses rep.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Heyo. While I'm moreso on the Byleth train, Edelgard would still be a pretty sweet inclusion, nonetheless

Do you mind adding me to the support list?

Thankies

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Edelgard was very popular right after the first trailer back at E3 2018, the BE house is the most chosen according to some in game data and she has a Figma Figure if her in the works (which has already a prototype).
It's fair to say that she is quite popular, so I doubt that her hypothetical inclusion would see the same backlash that Corrin (or Incineroar) did receive.
The thing is, Edelgard manages to be a major part of the story regardless of the path you take. Other lords can get sidelined or offed unceremoniously offscreen if you don't join them, but you always have to directly deal with Edelgard one way or another. This gives her more clout as the main character of Three Houses, second only to Byleth. That won't change even if another house eventually overtakes the Eagles in popularity (though fluctuations should be expected in game).

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
The thing is, Edelgard manages to be a major part of the story regardless of the path you take. Other lords can get sidelined or offed unceremoniously offscreen if you don't join them, but you always have to directly deal with Edelgard one way or another. This gives her more clout as the main character of Three Houses, second only to Byleth. That won't change even if another house eventually overtakes the Eagles in popularity (though fluctuations should be expected in game).
Yeah, and whenever you do deal with Edelgard, it's always treated as a big deal, being the only houses leader to have cutscenes for all her deaths. Meanwhile, Dimitri gets a portrait for his death in BE and gets killed off screen in GD. I don't know what happens in the Church route, but it clearly doesn't get any better. Claude doesn't get much fanfare either, but it's possible for him to be spared, so it kinda makes sense.

Troykv

Smash Master
Yeah, and whenever you do deal with Edelgard, it's always treated as a big deal, being the only houses leader to have cutscenes for all her deaths. Meanwhile, Dimitri gets a portrait for his death in BE and gets killed off screen in GD. I don't know what happens in the Church route, but it clearly doesn't get any better. Claude doesn't get much fanfare either, but it's possible for him to be spared, so it kinda makes sense.
I think Dimitri dies off-screen too, but as far as I remember isn't explained how exactly he died, but most likely in the same way he died in Golden Wind Deer.

Also Claude can survive in pretty much every single route, even Edel's.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Claude survives every single route, but he runs away in every non-GD one and leaves the Alliance in care of the respective route's Lord(you can kill him in BE E but the event viewer always assumes you spared him.

Dimitri dies the same way in BE C as GD from what I hear too

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman
since i picked Black Eagles i kinda have that with the Blue Lions..
and that is why i don't want Dimitri in smash, everyone can make it but not him!

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
The Corrin situation in FE fandom is weird, honestly. You'll be lucky to find anyone who actually tries to argue that Corrin is a well-written character, but female Corrin somehow still manages to be really popular, consistently ranking high on popularity polls. Male Corrin ranks pretty low when you consider his protagonist status...another reason that Ultimate's greatest crime is leaving Corrin male default.

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
The Corrin situation in FE fandom is weird, honestly. You'll be lucky to find anyone who actually tries to argue that Corrin is a well-written character, but female Corrin somehow still manages to be really popular, consistently ranking high on popularity polls. Male Corrin ranks pretty low when you consider his protagonist status...another reason that Ultimate's greatest crime is leaving Corrin male default.
From what I hear from others: Reasons usually boil down to finding female Corrin having a better design, and that the character/story shortcomings Corrin has are seen as more "acceptable" as a girl than a boy, as double standards as that sounds.

Only reason I can think of why Male Corrin is default is that he's the one who "started" it, like how their reveal trailer emphasized him more. However unlike female Robin, at least female Corrin still has some love in Smash with her being on the Classic Mode mural over the male one.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well to be honest, the Black Eagle route is often seen as the easiest route of the 3. Time will tell which route is gonna be the most popular, cause you can’t expect the majority to have finished the 4 routes as of yet within these 3 weeks.

I’m not sure if Edelgard will remain as the most popular Lord in the future therefore.

Of course, I can also be wrong.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20..._the_largest_fire_emblem_launch_in_us_history

All this, without even needing Smash exposure. A TH character seems guaranteed for Smash 6, at the least.

From what I hear from others: Reasons usually boil down to finding female Corrin having a better design, and that the character/story shortcomings Corrin has are seen as more "acceptable" as a girl than a boy, as double standards as that sounds.

Only reason I can think of why Male Corrin is default is that he's the one who "started" it, like how their reveal trailer emphasized him more. However unlike female Robin, at least female Corrin still has some love in Smash with her being on the Classic Mode mural over the male one.
Also, it doesn't hurt that fem!Corrin has a shapely physique under her armor, as seen in FE Warriors and Heroes. Also, the only way for us to have a playable lady manakete since Tiki is unlikely anyways.

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
Don't know if this was brought up yet, but what would Edelgard's theoretical Classic Mode look like and its theme?

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Don't know if this was brought up yet, but what would Edelgard's theoretical Classic Mode look like and its theme?
I'm not sure about most of its content, but I think the final boss of her route being either Ganon or Rathalos, with the penultimate battle being against Cloud, a giant Bowser, and a Palutena joining in later would be perfect.

Rathalos would obviously represent Rhea's dragon form. Ganon on the other hand could represent the actual map itself, considering that what feels like 90% of it is on fire, just like the background for Ganon's boss arena.
For the penultimate battle, Cloud would represent Dimitri, the giant Bowser would be Dedue's Crest Stone-induced monster transformation, and Palutena would obviously be Rhea's reinforcement.

Top Bottom