• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ECRC#2= VGBootCamp-"BTYF" - Laurel, MD 3/28 + 29, Pre-reg is Over, Sign your Waivers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
no inui genes here! We started to try to apply inui logic to why I can beat K9 but not Seagull, (both wolf), and K9 can beat seagull, but seagull beats me. Never ending circle??? So then we stopped immediately

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Did I mention I have a shirt covered with names that people sign?

If I beat you, I sign your name in Orange (winner's bracket), black (loser's bracket), purple (grand championships), green (money match), or red (you beat me). It's a new shirt so there aren't many names on it, but if I'm lucky enough to get a ride, I'm the guy with the crazy shirt and the NES hat ^_^

Jesusdragon737

Smash Cadet
Ok, I tried searching for a thread discussing the general tourney rules, but search wasn't really working. Why is it that in the first round, all the characters are chosen by blind pick? I mean, you practice hard with one character, why would you throw all that out of the window by randomly choosing your character?

Also, it is double elimination, correct?

Bouse

Smash Ace
I am most likely going to this, and if at all possible I could broadcast the matches via ustream. Just lemme know if you're up for that.

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! <
Ok, I tried searching for a thread discussing the general tourney rules, but search wasn't really working. Why is it that in the first round, all the characters are chosen by blind pick? I mean, you practice hard with one character, why would you throw all that out of the window by randomly choosing your character?

Also, it is double elimination, correct?
Simple misunderstanding...

Blind Pick doesn't mean random.

It means that you are using a predetermined character for the first round, instead of sitting down with your opponent, and then choosing yours first and then he sees who you picked, and silently says "oh ****, he would **** who I was GOING to pick, let me use THIS character instead, I'll have an easier time" which gives him an unfair advantage of knowing who you're using before you know who he is using.

So, if this were to be enforced properly, there will be one neutral bystander to whom both of you will whisper your character choice and it falls on the integrity of that bystander to call you out if the character you choose first round is not the one you just told him you were going to use.

Regarding double elimination:
This is an event whose design caters to a large number of entrants.

Typically in this situation [and I didn't read through the rules to see if it was discussed or not], the players are broken up into pools. Let's pretend here...

128 people enter the singles tournament.
You break the people up into 16 pools of 8 people each and after all 8 people have played each other in their respective pool the top 2 from each pool advance since most efficient brackets for large scale tournaments fit the 32-person model.

THEN you do the double elimination bracket with those 32 people.

Jesusdragon737

Smash Cadet
Simple misunderstanding...

Blind Pick doesn't mean random.

It means that you are using a predetermined character for the first round, instead of sitting down with your opponent, and then choosing yours first and then he sees who you picked, and silently says "oh ****, he would **** who I was GOING to pick, let me use THIS character instead, I'll have an easier time" which gives him an unfair advantage of knowing who you're using before you know who he is using.

So, if this were to be enforced properly, there will be one neutral bystander to whom both of you will whisper your character choice and it falls on the integrity of that bystander to call you out if the character you choose first round is not the one you just told him you were going to use.

Regarding double elimination:
This is an event whose design caters to a large number of entrants.

Typically in this situation [and I didn't read through the rules to see if it was discussed or not], the players are broken up into pools. Let's pretend here...

128 people enter the singles tournament.
You break the people up into 16 pools of 8 people each and after all 8 people have played each other in their respective pool the top 2 from each pool advance since most efficient brackets for large scale tournaments fit the 32-person model.

THEN you do the double elimination bracket with those 32 people.
Oh ok. That makes a lot more sense than choosing random characters. Also, double elimination from the start would make for a lengthy tourney. Thanks for that info.

bigman40

Smash Master
GIMS, I hope you at least expect 300 people. I certainly don't want to be up in MD and the tourney fails like CoT4 just did.

Bouse

Smash Ace
Yeah I'm at about 95% to going to this even if I don't have someone to do doubles with, and about 80% sure I can grab a handful of people to force to go to this thing.

SOVAman

Smash Hero
You most likely already discussed this but...

Why is D3's standing infinate banned and not ic's. People say it takes more "skill" but who cares an infinite is an infinite no matter what skill level. If you ban one infinite shouldn't you ban them all isn't that like "common sense?" You are most likely going to post CoT4 and other big tourneys use that rule but, it is still stupid. either ban NONE or ban ALL.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
It shouldn't really matter an infinite is an infinite and if you ban one ban them all
That's just bad logic man. First off, D3 has a longer grab, and a quicker grab than Ice climbers.

Second, Ice climbers need both Popo and Nana standing next to eachother to pull infinites off.

Third, D3's chains are easier to do.

4th, if Icies chain grabs aren't timed perfectly, you can mash out of them

I'm not banning all infinites. No more arguing

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
@Bouse: You have live streaming equipment? If so, it would be sweet if you could bring it. :)

toasty

Smash Hero
agreed. just because they change and have parts with walk-off edges while Lylat is based on a "neutral looking" design doesn't make Delfino/Halberd not-so-neutral and Lylat more-so. Plus the background of Lylat trips a LOT of people out [myself included :( :( :(] and not to mention the movement of the stage. At least the other two stages have predictable changes...Lylat can screw over just about anyone no matter how precise they are simply because it tilted.

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
Yeah, the whole point of adding lylat is so there is an equal amount of striking for each person.

From my COT4 experience, Lylat always gets striked. I'll think about changing it though.

toasty

Smash Hero
toasty's chances of attending just went up....to 19%.........from 18%

>_>

oh and per usual, GIMR/aposl, when I get there, will there be a way for me to make nachos? I may or may not sell them depending on how many friendlies I wanna play, but I'm definitely making some free ones for the TOs ^_^

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
Honestly from my perspective, this should be the neutral stage list:

Smashville
Final Destination
Battlefield
Yoshi's Island
Halberd

also another reminder to add me to the front page list for a tv and a wii.

Also, when i spoke with HolyNightmare, he said that the canada group would be at anything ECRC2 related. So I would expect them here.

toasty

Smash Hero
If I can't go and other SoVa kids can go, I will gladly donate my 2 small TVs [people liked them fine at Chu's...tiny ugly TVs but the quality is sick for both] and even......................................my Wii. @_@

edit: Halberd over Pokemon Stadium???

editedit: don't flame me, I never put much thought into Poke, so if there's dumb stuff I don't know, please be kind and inform me :)

toasty

Smash Hero
OS NO JOHNS [wait, I'm not even confirmed.................****]

but for real, with enough dedication and especially COOPERATION this tournament will run pretty well.

Maybe VGB Staff or whoever they get to help them (*raises hand*) can be assigned to the several pools surrounding their own to occasionally check on the status and enforce the "no friendlies until pools are done" rule [hah, hope there is one, if not, there should be]

I really don't remember much from the first post and I'm far too lazy to search it [or the whole thread] so pardon me if it's already been discussed...but...there should be a penalty in the form of pools scoring or stock loss or whatever...something that actually has an effect on a person's standing in the tournament if they are playing friendlies during pools but ONLY if those friendlies are actually holding up potential tourney matches. That's a bit of a gray area, but I'm sure TOs can use their better judgment :)

People need to realize the amazing reward of playing tourney matches on time...

"awww but we never get to play friendlies, tourney matches always get in the way"

if you finish the tournament quickly [which is entirely possible if you're strict enough about it, in a nice way :)] there will be TONNNS of time for uninterrupted friendlies! AND crews!!! =D

hahahaha Steven, sure...thanks for buying some last time even though you didn't have much of an appetite. hopefully you won't be sick at this tourney :)

Overswarm

is laughing at you
the issue is that I have to teach monday morning at 7:25 a.m..... and if it takes 10 hours to get there and we leave at midnight on sunday.....

ChaosKnight

Smash Master
dude ive already offered to help and toasty you can prolly help so can Greg,inui,alex strife, plank, i'll help to because im a douche IRL only if i want to be but this will be run WELL and any other tourney host that offers to make this go really fast.. :x

forute

Smash Ace
]hahahaha Steven, sure...thanks for buying some last time even though you didn't have much of an appetite. hopefully you won't be sick at this tourney :)
I'm never gonna get sick again, I already decided
Let it be known I am ready for nachos

toasty

Smash Hero
@ OS : ooh....sadness :(

also, another SUGGESTION I forgot to add onto the "no friendlies during pools" rule. I have a very important rule that can be a bit flexible depending on the event, because this can become a huge problem too:

"NO MONEY MATCHES UNTIL THE TOURNAMENT [in this case, just pools] IS FINISHED."

Seriously...people use this an excuse so often and it takes up sooo much time because it's not a friendly where it's just one match, it's a set and that can take as long as 25-30 minutes in some cases....FOR ONE SET.

and obviously, neither of my suggestions are applicable if pools haven't even started...

lastly: people used to just turn off Gamecubes when someone wouldn't listen to the TOs and stop their friendlies, but I saw someone mention in the CoT4 thread that with Wiis it's a lot more of a hassle to restart everything, so ...simple solution: just turn off/unplug the TV and/or just take out the AV cords and wait til they quit the match.

SOVAman

Smash Hero
2 day boooo. I can't go to a 2 day event I have school the next day at like 6:30 and that is a waste of my weekend too. (I am not poyo I have more to life then smash)

If I go (1 day) I have a TV and wii

toasty

Smash Hero
I really hope it doesn't become a 2 day event :(

also kids, don't jump to conclusions: it hasn't been decided that it's 2 days long. it just MIGHT be.

ECRC C3 was a really great event and people seemed to get over the fact that they didn't have pools [which is why it ended up finishing on time]...that might have to be a last resort, though I'd much rather prefer to keep pools in :(

gah there better be at least 50 setups...like absolute minimum if you really want this to run on time as planned. but even then there should be more

GIMR how many setups do you think the space can accommodate? keeping in mind that you would need 2-4 chairs per setup...and then the outlets/power strips/extension cords etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom