• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Early Smash 5 Fan-Made Rosters (Ideal or Prediction)

Status
Not open for further replies.

StrangeTamer

Smash Cadet
You're ignoring the fact that Kojima or not, Snake is a veteran and will likely be prioritized over Bomberman.
And I doubt the arguement that a character doesn't fit in a cartoony environment because they have realistic looks matters to Sakurai. Not all 3rd party characters have to be cartoony.
It's true he is a veteran and wouldn't be as hard to implement as a new fighter, but I don't think it's as simple to bring back third party fighters. It all boils down to the drama between Konami and Kojima, and the fact that Snake got into Smash because of Kojima in the first place. Konami could let them bring back Snake, or they could push for a new fighter to represent them. I can't say for sure which one takes priority, but it all comes down to whatever Konami decides.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Kojima does not own Snake at all. The drama doesn't really have an overall effect because Kojima no longer is involved at all. It's a matter of whether Sakurai has any interest, and if Konami will play ball. No more, no less.

It only mattered at one point, which is before Smash 4, when the drama was actually happening. It's been over for ages. Bomberman's chances aren't really honestly better at this point. There's nothing to suggest the artstyle would really hurt Snake either. Bomberman's artstyle doesn't really matter much either.

D

Deleted member

It's true he is a veteran and wouldn't be as hard to implement as a new fighter, but I don't think it's as simple to bring back third party fighters. It all boils down to the drama between Konami and Kojima, and the fact that Snake got into Smash because of Kojima in the first place. Konami could let them bring back Snake, or they could push for a new fighter to represent them. I can't say for sure which one takes priority, but it all comes down to whatever Konami decides.
Bringing back 3rd parties wouldn't be as easy, I agree.
But if they won't be able to bring back Snake, what makes Bomberman any different? They're owned by the same company, the only difference being that Snake was in a previous Smash game and Bomberman wasn't. I honestly feel like a broken record at this point.
And I personally doubt Konami will tell Sakurai "You can't use Snake, but Bomberman is fine" just because of the Konami/Kojima situation. They own Metal Gear. They know people want Snake back, and they know Metal Gear is a big name (hence why they shoehorned the name "Metal Gear" into their zombie shooter), which means it's safe to assume that if they will indeed allow Sakurai to use a Konami character (which is very, very unlikely), Snake would be the most logical choice from a marketing standpoint.

Last edited by a moderator:

StrangeTamer

Smash Cadet
Kojima does not own Snake at all. The drama doesn't really have an overall effect because Kojima no longer is involved at all. It's a matter of whether Sakurai has any interest, and if Konami will play ball. No more, no less.

It only mattered at one point, which is before Smash 4, when the drama was actually happening. It's been over for ages. Bomberman's chances aren't really honestly better at this point. There's nothing to suggest the artstyle would really hurt Snake either. Bomberman's artstyle doesn't really matter much either.
Bringing back 3rd parties wouldn't be as easy, I agree.
But if they won't be able to bring back Snake, what makes Bomberman any different? They're owned by the same company, the only difference being that Snake was in a previous Smash game and Bomberman wasn't. I honestly feel like a broken record at this point.
And I personally doubt Konami will tell Sakurai "You can't use Snake, but Bomberman is fine" just because of the Konami/Kojima situation. They own Metal Gear. They know people want Snake back, and they know Metal Gear is a big name (hence why they shoehorned the name "Metal Gear" into their zombie shooter), which means it's safe to assume that if they will indeed allow Sakurai to use a Konami character (which is very, very unlikely), Snake would be the most logical choice from a marketing standpoint.
These are valid points and I guess was thinking more from a Smash 4 speculation mindset. Between Snake already existing within the Smash universe and his popularity, he overshadows Bomberman despite his one new game. If Konami was to ever get two reps, I think Bomberman could be the choice, but just one is hard enough, so I won't dwell on that idea.

D

Deleted member

Yo I made a roster.
I'm somewhat inconsistent with my choices because I chose some fan favorite characters, some characters that I think are likely to be in Sm5sh, and some characters I have bias for. But it's an ideal roster so I can do whatever I want.

:4drmario: - This is due to me adding 2 new Mario character and biggest Nintendo franchise or not, 9 characters would be overkill. Doc is the most expandable due to his clone status.
:4lucina: - Popular or not, Lucina is a clone, and FE has 6 characters in Smash, which is too much. Simillarly to Doc, she's a clone, which means she's the most expandable.
:4feroy: - The choice was between him or :4corrin: and while I'd love to cut Corny Cornford because of how much I hate him in his game, he does have a unique moveset, while Roy, despite being Luigified, is still a semi-clone, so he's more expandable.
:4darkpit: - KI doesn't deserve more than 2 characters IMO (Even 2 is kinda stretching it if I'm being honest), and Dark Pit's excuse for being seperated from his source character is terrible in my opinion, considering how inaccurately some characters have been portrayed in the series, Pittoo with the 3 Sacred Treasures won't look that odd. Not to mention he pretty much originates from one of Pit's Brawl palette swaps. Can't wait to have Ice Mario as the main antagonist of the next Mario game. :rolleyes:
:4mii: - Personal bias. I hate Miis. They feel bland and uninspired, and they'd probably take a large chunk of development time (I'd also remove custom moves so there's that), which IMO is a waste of resources from my perspective. Not to mention the heartbreaking Mii costumes Sakurai made. *Sniff*

Doc, Lucina and Roy might come back as DLC with some moveset changes.
:wolf: - Honestly should've been DLC over Roy. He's far more unique than people give him credit for (Only his specials are simillar to Fox) and cutting villains is a blasphemy. Though I would change his Down B to something like an explosive as well as give him a new Final Smash.
:popo: - I believe the Switch can handle them. Even if not it's still an "ideal roster".
:snake: - Fun and Unique character that added a lot of diversity to the roster

I left out :younglinkmelee::pichumelee::squirtle::ivysaur:

Young Link was spiritually replaced by :4tlink: (Who is more different from Link) and if I added him back we'd have 3 Links.
Pichu is a terrible clone and judging by the fact he had no data in Brawl, I think Sakurai knew that.
Squirtle and Ivysaur were implemented due to a gimmick that no longer exist, and having them take 2 slots would just be weird and akward to me. Plus we have more than enough Gen 1 Pokemon IMO. (I actually prefer them and their evos over :4charizard: in every possible way though)
Captain Toad - Toad needs to be playable, but a generic Toad has less moveset potential to draw from. Captain Toad would be best due to his moveset potential and being the star of his own game. I'd imagine him having a gimmick that revolves around his backpack: when he has his backpack on, he's slow, heavy, and can't jump, but when he takes it off, he's light, agile, and can jump (Albeit not very high). Of course, he'd have Captain Toadette as an alt costume, as well.
Waluigi - Random, wacky attacks with some Mario spinoff love thrown in. Bring on the Waaa.
King K. Rool - Smash needs more villains, and King K. Rool fills the bill and has massive fan demand. Would have a unique moveset that draws inspiration from his many boss fights in the DK series, as well as alts in which he wears the outfit he sports in said boss fights.
Cranky Kong - The dong expands further. Originally, I had Dixie here, but I couldn't imagine her in the game without being too simillar to Diddy. Cranky, on the other hand, would play nothing like Diddy or DK - he'd use his cains for melee attacks and... You know, I should play some more games that he appears in so that I can come up with more stuff, but my point still stands. I think he'd be a fun and unique addition to the Smash roster. Plus, he is the original Donkey Kong.
Ganon - Revamping Ganondorf at this point is pretty much impossible - people like his current moveset way too much. Ganon, on the other hand, doesn't have to be a Falcon clone and will have a moveset that largely involves his tridant as well as magic. Zelda needs a new character, and since we already have 2 Links and 2 Zeldas, why not have 2 Ganons?
Ridley - Too big you say? Perhaps. But I would make a playable Ridley possible or die trying dammit! Metroid is desperate for a non-Samus character, and Smash needs more villains. While I wouldn't mind choices like Dark Samus or Sylux (Although I'm less familliar with them), Ridley is one of the most requested (and controversial) characters in Smash history, and I feel that he deserves a slot more than them.
Bandana Dee - The only Kirby character we need at this point, seeing as he completes the current main cast. He has a Spear, a weapon that no other character in Smash ever used before, and he can have a unique moveset based around it. Considering how fun the Spear abillity is in Kirby, Bandana Dee would no doubt be a fun character to play as.
Decidueye - Biased as ****, despite not being in the minority. Decidueye is my favorite Pokemon of Gen 7, my favorite Grass starter, my favorite Grass type overall, my second favorite starter AND my 3rd favorite Pokemon of all time. He's so cool it hurts. He also has a great moveset potential. Completing the starter type triangle is just the icing on the cake.
Rex - Xenoblade 2 is a thing, so I figured I'll add a character from it. It seems to be the next franchise to get a second character, since every Smash seems to have those (i.e. Zelda in Melee). I don't know much about the game as I'm typing this, but he will likely have a good moveset potential.
Inkling - Practically guaranteed. Splatoon is becoming one of Nintendo's biggest IPs, with a sequel coming out a mere 2 years after the first game, and with the large selection of weapons the game has, they most certainly have a unique moveset potential.
Isaac - Golden Sun is somewhat niche (Which is something I usually avoid), but Isaac's large fan following makes him much more noteworthy than he would otherwise be. I haven't played Golden Sun myself, but from what I gathered, Isaac uses some kind of Earth magic, which would make for a pretty unique moveset.
Spring Man - Nintendo is really pushing ARMS, so a playable character in Smsh is pretty much a given. I went with Spring Man since he's pretty much the main character (I think?). Since he originates from a fighting game, making a moveset for Spring Man shouldn't be a big issue. The only issue I can see is balancing his grab range.
Chorus Kid - My friends recently dragged me into Rhythm Heaven, and I enjoyed it and think that it should be represented by a playable character that has moves that reference the minigames akin to Mr. Game & Watch. I picked Chorus Kid because it was in the Gematsu leak (As Chorus Kids, but whatever) but anything will do. Just not Karate Joe or the Wrestler - they're too generic IMO.
Crash Bandicoot - I honestly haven't played any of the Crash games, but Crash is one of the most iconic platforming characters of all time. Sure, he's a PlayStation mascot, but so is Cloud. And Crash did have a few games on Nintendo systems (I hear they're awful but that's irrelevant), and Crash is owned by Activision - a third party company - not Sony. I don't know what he'd do for a moveset though. I'll come up with one once I play these games.
Shovel Knight - Yes, I'm adding Indie characters in Smash. Deal with it. Shovel Knight's game is still rather popular, and with the great selection of weapons he can obtain throughout the story, it would not be difficult to make a moveset for him. And I love his game so there's that. Steel thy shovel!
smesh Roster.png

69 characters in total.

Enjoy.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I can tell you right now that, despite the fact that Bomberman had a great game on Switch, Konami would still push for Snake to represent them. He's literally the leading man in their most popular, best selling franchise.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Yo I made a roster.
I'm somewhat inconsistent with my choices because I chose some fan favorite characters, some characters that I think are likely to be in Sm5sh, and some characters I have bias for. But it's an ideal roster so I can do whatever I want.

:4drmario: - This is due to me adding 2 new Mario character and biggest Nintendo franchise or not, 9 characters would be overkill. Doc is the most expandable due to his clone status.
:4lucina: - Popular or not, Lucina is a clone, and FE has 6 characters in Smash, which is too much. Simillarly to Doc, she's a clone, which means she's the most expandable.
:4feroy: - The choice was between him or :4corrin: and while I'd love to cut Corny Cornford because of how much I hate him in his game, he does have a unique moveset, while Roy, despite being Luigified, is still a semi-clone, so he's more expandable.
:4darkpit: - KI doesn't deserve more than 2 characters IMO (Even 2 is kinda stretching it if I'm being honest), and Dark Pit's excuse for being seperated from his source character is terrible in my opinion, considering how inaccurately some characters have been portrayed in the series, Pittoo with the 3 Sacred Treasures won't look that odd. Not to mention he pretty much originates from one of Pit's Brawl palette swaps. Can't wait to have Ice Mario as the main antagonist of the next Mario game. :rolleyes:
:4mii: - Personal bias. I hate Miis. They feel bland and uninspired, and they'd probably take a large chunk of development time (I'd also remove custom moves so there's that), which IMO is a waste of resources from my perspective. Not to mention the heartbreaking Mii costumes Sakurai made. *Sniff*

Doc, Lucina and Roy might come back as DLC with some moveset changes.
:wolf: - Honestly should've been DLC over Roy. He's far more unique than people give him credit for (Only his specials are simillar to Fox) and cutting villains is a blasphemy. Though I would change his Down B to something like an explosive as well as give him a new Final Smash.
:popo: - I believe the Switch can handle them. Even if not it's still an "ideal roster".
:snake: - Fun and Unique character that added a lot of diversity to the roster

I left out :younglinkmelee::pichumelee::squirtle::ivysaur:

Young Link was spiritually replaced by :4tlink: (Who is more different from Link) and if I added him back we'd have 3 Links.
Pichu is a terrible clone and judging by the fact he had no data in Brawl, I think Sakurai knew that.
Squirtle and Ivysaur were implemented due to a gimmick that no longer exist, and having them take 2 slots would just be weird and akward to me. Plus we have more than enough Gen 1 Pokemon IMO. (I actually prefer them and their evos over :4charizard: in every possible way though)
Captain Toad - Toad needs to be playable, but a generic Toad has less moveset potential to draw from. Captain Toad would be best due to his moveset potential and being the star of his own game. I'd imagine him having a gimmick that revolves around his backpack: when he has his backpack on, he's slow, heavy, and can't jump, but when he takes it off, he's light, agile, and can jump (Albeit not very high). Of course, he'd have Captain Toadette as an alt costume, as well.
Waluigi - Random, wacky attacks with some Mario spinoff love thrown in. Bring on the Waaa.
King K. Rool - Smash needs more villains, and King K. Rool fills the bill and has massive fan demand. Would have a unique moveset that draws inspiration from his many boss fights in the DK series, as well as alts in which he wears the outfit he sports in said boss fights.
Cranky Kong - The dong expands further. Originally, I had Dixie here, but I couldn't imagine her in the game without being too simillar to Diddy. Cranky, on the other hand, would play nothing like Diddy or DK - he'd use his cains for melee attacks and... You know, I should play some more games that he appears in so that I can come up with more stuff, but my point still stands. I think he'd be a fun and unique addition to the Smash roster. Plus, he is the original Donkey Kong.
Ganon - Revamping Ganondorf at this point is pretty much impossible - people like his current moveset way too much. Ganon, on the other hand, doesn't have to be a Falcon clone and will have a moveset that largely involves his tridant as well as magic. Zelda needs a new character, and since we already have 2 Links and 2 Zeldas, why not have 2 Ganons?
Ridley - Too big you say? Perhaps. But I would make a playable Ridley possible or die trying dammit! Metroid is desperate for a non-Samus character, and Smash needs more villains. While I wouldn't mind choices like Dark Samus or Sylux (Although I'm less familliar with them), Ridley is one of the most requested (and controversial) characters in Smash history, and I feel that he deserves a slot more than them.
Bandana Dee - The only Kirby character we need at this point, seeing as he completes the current main cast. He has a Spear, a weapon that no other character in Smash ever used before, and he can have a unique moveset based around it. Considering how fun the Spear abillity is in Kirby, Bandana Dee would no doubt be a fun character to play as.
Decidueye - Biased as ****, despite not being in the minority. Decidueye is my favorite Pokemon of Gen 7, my favorite Grass starter, my favorite Grass type overall, my second favorite starter AND my 3rd favorite Pokemon of all time. He's so cool it hurts. He also has a great moveset potential. Completing the starter type triangle is just the icing on the cake.
Rex - Xenoblade 2 is a thing, so I figured I'll add a character from it. It seems to be the next franchise to get a second character, since every seems Smash to have those (i.e. Zelda in Melee). I don't know much about the game as I'm typing this, but he will likely have a good moveset potential.
Inkling - Practically guaranteed. Splatoon is becoming one of Nintendo's biggest IPs, with a sequel coming out a mere 2 years after the first game, and with the large selection of weapons the game has, they most certainly have a unique moveset potential.
Isaac - Golden Sun is somewhat niche (Which is something I usually avoid), but Isaac's large fan following makes him much more noteworthy than he would otherwise be. I haven't played Golden Sun myself, but from what I gathered, Isaac uses some kind of Earth magic, which would make for a pretty unique moveset.
Spring Man - Nintendo is really pushing ARMS, so a playable character in Smsh is pretty much a given. I went with Spring Man since he's pretty much the main character (I think?). Since he originates from a fighting game, making a moveset for Spring Man shouldn't be a big issue. The only issue I can see is balancing his grab range.
Chorus Kid - My friends recently dragged me into Rhythm Heaven, and I enjoyed it and think there it should be represented by a playable character that has moves that reference the minigames akin to Mr. Game & Watch. I picked Chorus Kid because it was in the Gematsu leak (As Chorus Kids, but whatever) but anything will do. Just not Karate Joe or the Wrestler - they're too generic IMO.
Crash Bandicoot - I honestly haven't played any of the Crash games, but Crash is one of the most iconic platforming characters of all time. Sure, he's a PlayStation mascot, but so is Cloud. And Crash did have a few games on Nintendo systems (I hear they're awful but that's irrelevant), and Crash is owned by Activision - a third party company - not Sony. I don't know what he'd do for a moveset though. I'll come up with one once I play these games.
Shovel Knight - Yes, I'm adding Indie characters in Smash. Deal with it. Shovel Knight's game is still rather popular, and with the great selection of weapons he can obtain throughout the story, it would not be difficult to make a moveset for him. And I love his game so there's that. Steel thy shovel!
View attachment 133313
69 characters in total.

Enjoy.
And if the game had DLC...
:4feroy:- Further decloned (haven't played FE6 so I can't think of how exactly)
:4lucina: - Aether as Side B (works differently from Ike's (she recovers some health and if you time a second button press she can perform a second attack) and Aegis as Down B (when hit by an energy projectile she takes half the damage with 0 knockback, and gets a temporary power boost), some new animations to match Awakening, and her final Smash is now is now pair up, just like Robin in Sm4sh (Robin's FS is changed to Ignis). She can also swap between Falchion and a Silver Lance by taunting. Chrom appears as an alt (him and Lucina swap roles in the FS).
:4drmario: - Also further decloned. Help me out here.
Rayman
The first 4 DLC characters follow the same pattern as the Sm4sh DLC - 3 vets and one 3rd party newcomer.
The other 4 (yes, 4) will be 2 Nintendo newcomers from the Ballot and 2 3rd parties from the Ballot.
What do you guys think?

GolisoPower

Smash Master
And if the game had DLC...
:4feroy:- Further decloned (haven't played FE6 so I can't think of how exactly)
:4lucina: - Aether as Side B (works differently from Ike's (she recovers some health and if you time a second button press she can perform a second attack) and Aegis as Down B (when hit by an energy projectile she tajes half the damage with 0 knockback, and gets a temporary power boost), some new animations to match Awakening, and her final Smash is now is now pair up, just like Robin in Sm4sh (Robin's FS is changed to Ignis). She can also swap between Falchion and a Silver Lance by taunting. Chrom appears as an alt (him and Lucina swap roles in the FS).
:4drmario: - Also further decloned. Help me out here.
Rayman
The first 4 DLC characters follow the same pattern as the Sm4sh DLC - 3 vets and one 3rd party newcomer.
The other 4 (yes, 4) will be 2 Nintendo newcomers from the Ballot and 2 3rd parties from the Ballot.
What do you guys think?
Well for Dr. Mario, I've had this one for a while:

Neutral B: Virus Blaster: Use a Virus Blaster pill to shoot a virus at the opponent. Red does fire damage, blue freezes and yellow stuns. These Viruses cycle in that specific order.

Side B: Zapper: Uses a Zapper pill to shoot a screen-wide projectile either horizontally or vertically.

Up B: Capsule Blaster: Launches himself with a pill. This is multi-directional like Farore's Wind.

Down B: Exploder: Places an explosive pill on the ground that functions similarly to Snake's Down Smash from Brawl, but Dr. Mario can be damaged by the blast and can be remotely detonated.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Well for Dr. Mario, I've had this one for a while:

Neutral B: Virus Blaster: Use a Virus Blaster pill to shoot a virus at the opponent. Red does fire damage, blue freezes and yellow stuns. These Viruses cycle in that specific order.

Side B: Zapper: Uses a Zapper pill to shoot a screen-wide projectile either horizontally or vertically.

Up B: Capsule Blaster: Launches himself with a pill. This is multi-directional like Farore's Wind.

Down B: Exploder: Places an explosive pill on the ground that functions similarly to Snake's Down Smash from Brawl, but Dr. Mario can be damaged by the blast and can be remotely detonated.
I'd keep his current Down B, but otherwise this is a solid moveset.

D

Deleted member

Sorry for Double Posting, but can anyone give me some feedback on my roster?

StrangeTamer

Smash Cadet
Sorry for Double Posting, but can anyone give me some feedback on my roster?
I think it's pretty solid. We have the same thoughts for returning cut characters. I like the idea of Cranky, sounds fun. I was initially skeptical about Ganon, but after hearing your reasoning it sounds very plausible and a good way to workaround the demand for a non-clone Ganon. Most of the newcomers are reasonable choices, with the hardest one probably being Crash, but it's not an impossible thing. Only thing that seems to be missing is a NES newcomer, which seems like a tradition at this point. Do you think the "tradition" was just a coincidence, or that they are out of good NES characters to implement?

The only thing I disagree with is the choice for cuts. Personally, I don't mind clones and don't think they takeaway anything from the game other than maybe that character's potential for a unique moveset. I think Mario getting to 9 reps isn't unreasonable and I feel like as long as Mario is leading in the number of characters, other series like Pokemon and Fire Emblem can have a lot too. I do agree that the clone corner was really bad for the eyes and hope they make the screen more pleasing to look at in the next game, though.
That being said, no unique characters being cut is a plus.

D

Deleted member

Most of the newcomers are reasonable choices, with the hardest one probably being Crash, but it's not an impossible thing.
First off, thanks for the feedback!
Second, I'm thinking about switching Crash for Rayman, since he seems more likely and I'm more familiar with his series. I admit I added Crash because of a rumor of N-Sane Trilogy coming to the switch somewhere, but it does seem quite unlikely.

Only thing that seems to be missing is a NES newcomer, which seems like a tradition at this point. Do you think the "tradition" was just a coincidence, or that they are out of good NES characters to implement?
Both of them, but more of the latter.
I feel that most choices for a Retro newcomers are too obscure (which is the reason Takamaru wasn't added in Sm4sh), and as far as I'm concerned, there isn't any choice that stands out too much.

The only thing I disagree with is the choice for cuts. Personally, I don't mind clones and don't think they takeaway anything from the game other than maybe that character's potential for a unique moveset. I think Mario getting to 9 reps isn't unreasonable and I feel like as long as Mario is leading in the number of characters, other series like Pokemon and Fire Emblem can have a lot too.
I'm not too bothered by clones (though I prefer Semi-clones. I'm against most cuts actually), I mostly removed them to make room, barring Pittoo who really annoys me because I feel that his seperation from Pit has to do with Sakurai's bias (just look at all the KI content we got in Sm4sh) and the series is currently too small and minor to get so many characters (and will likely stay like that for many years to come).
I have Dr. Mario, Lucina and Roy as DLC, though I'm thinking about adding them to my main roster, though I don't know what to do with the roster's layout if I do add them back. Also
A bit of a nitpick but I really hate the word "rep" when used in the context of a Smash character, because representation comes in many ways besides characters (i.e. Items, stages, trophies, etc.), and it annoys me that people say Fire Emblem is "overrepped" just because of its character count. Kid Icarus is more overrepped IMO.
Sorry if I sound harsh.

StrangeTamer

Smash Cadet
A bit of a nitpick but I really hate the word "rep" when used in the context of a Smash character, because representation comes in many ways besides characters (i.e. Items, stages, trophies, etc.), and it annoys me that people say Fire Emblem is "overrepped" just because of its character count. Kid Icarus is more overrepped IMO.
Sorry if I sound harsh.
That's a good point. Kid Icarus definitely had a lot of attention. It bothered me a lot more at the time of the release, but I don't mind it as much anymore. I do agree Fire Emblem isn't overrepped. It might seem that way because of character count, but take out the clones and take into consideration Fire Emblem doesn't have any items and a normal amount of trophies and stages and it's got about as much attention as any other series.

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Both of them, but more of the latter.
I feel that most choices for a Retro newcomers are too obscure (which is the reason Takamaru wasn't added in Sm4sh), and as far as I'm concerned, there isn't any choice that stands out too much.
I am sure there are some recognizable retro character such as excitebiker and balloon fighter they have been appearing as cameo in a lot of games.

TheHumanSonikku

Smash Cadet
The retro newcomers argument kinda bugs me, because there as been obscure characters added before, examples being: R.O.B., Ice Climbers, and Mr. Game and Watch

Geno Boost

Smash Master
The retro newcomers argument kinda bugs me, because there as been obscure characters added before, examples being: R.O.B., Ice Climbers, and Mr. Game and Watch
Pit too back in brawl I honestly don't care if they are obscure or not i think the point of having retro characters is to bring characters back to life again and get a 2nd chance in gaming just look at what happend to pit after brawl he got a new game.

D

Deleted member

I am sure there are some recognizable retro character such as excitebiker and balloon fighter they have been appearing as cameo in a lot of games.
What would they do for a moveset though? That's one of the first things I take into consideration when adding a character.
You know, you're right about that.
But the only retro characters that interest me are Japan-exclusive, which would mean they're on a completely different level of obscurity.

D

Deleted member

you could search their moveset in google a lot of people have creative ideas for moveset
I don't do that unless a character really interests me, and if I really can't come up with anything.
Balloon Fighter and Excitebiker don't interest me.
Besides, who said we need a retro character? Every Smash had them, sure, but Sakurai never confirmed that this pattern really exists.

TheHumanSonikku

Smash Cadet
Besides, who said we need a retro character? Every Smash had them, sure, but Sakurai never confirmed that this pattern really exists.
We don't need many characters. It's not something we need, per say, but it would be something fun to see.

D

Deleted member

We don't need many characters. It's not something we need, per say, but it would be something fun to see.
...I'm not sure I follow.
Like, if you're into retro characters, then by all means, add them to your roster. Nothing's stopping you.
But this is my roster, and I personally can't really see the appeal of a retro newcomer other than following a pattern that may or may not actually exist.

FantasticMr.StarPit

Smash Journeyman
I don't do that unless a character really interests me, and if I really can't come up with anythBesides, who said we need a retro character? Every Smash had them, sure, but Sakurai never confirmed that this pattern really exists.
I can see Balloon Fighter getting the "Pit Treatment" where he gets a complete overhaul in design from the cute little guy in a balloon we all know to (in my mind) a full grown "superhero" from let's say the 1930s or 40s. Something out of the Rocketeer or The Phantom. Man my idea is quite outlandish for a simple character. Guess i'll leave it as it is, lol.

Excitebiker on the other hand, is just very unfitting. I'm not sure how it would work for a biker to have a half-way decent moveset? Idk.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I could actually see Excitebiker working. I don't know whether that's just because the Mario Kart 8 DLC makes me want to see an Excitebike stage in Smash, but I could see him using stunts for attacks, or borrowing jet boosters from the vehicles in Excite Truck or Excite Bots.

Still, Mach Rider seems better suited for that concept, and that bike has guns on it.

Oddball

Smash Lord
I could see Excite Biker working. Take something like this ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1J43_TXly0 and have him wacking you with the bike or kicking you as he does his tricks.

Mach Rider I actually like as a character more, but I'd picture him as being off his bike and only uses it for one or two moves.

FantasticMr.StarPit

Smash Journeyman
Still, Mach Rider seems better suited for that concept, and that bike has guns on it.[/QUOTE]

That's what I was thinking of!

I think Mach Rider can bring something more than an Excitebiker, at least for me. Though I'm not sure about a fully playable vehicle being in Smash Bros. I mean Wario has his motorbike but that's his special move, and Bowser Jr. has his Junior Clown Car.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I can see Balloon Fighter getting the "Pit Treatment" where he gets a complete overhaul in design from the cute little guy in a balloon we all know to (in my mind) a full grown "superhero" from let's say the 1930s or 40s. Something out of the Rocketeer or The Phantom. Man my idea is quite outlandish for a simple character. Guess i'll leave it as it is, lol..
Balloon Fighter is not animu material though.
Real talk though, if they do make that reboot a thing, I hope it's nothing like the original in terms of gameplay. I really hated that game.
Also, considering said reboot doesn't exist, I don't have much material to work with.
-----------------------------
Also, decided to expand on my roster:
smesh roster (1).png

Added back :4drmario::4lucina::4feroy::4darkpit:. Doc and Pittoo are Luigified and Lucina recives a large moveset change so that she barely resembles Marth anymore. I'd have her and Roy switch places, since Roy would be more simillar to Marth, but it just wouldn't feel right.
:4alph: is an Olimar semi-clone w/ Rock Pikmin instead of Purple and White Pikmin. Specials are the mostly the same but they have some different A-moves. Alph is also lighter and more agile.

Anyway, the following characters have been added:
Chandelure because it's the best Pokemon and if you disagree you have a **** taste for shock value, and it has a wide variety of moves in its disposal. More of a personal bias pick though (those of you who know me would know that).
Chibi Robo was added because his SSF2 moveset was pretty neat. Series is dead but whatever. Kinda filler.
Advance Wars kinda deserves to have a playable character, so I added Andy. Mostly filler.
Sukapon is the "retro" character (though again, it doesn't matter to me much). I know he's Japan-exclusive, but I figured "**** it, he'll be fun, and he's from Nintendo's first fighting game so it's justified". Filler again.
Dixie was scrapped from my original roster in favor of Cranky because she was too simillar to Diddy, but I figured, if I'd intentionally add her as a Semi-clone, it would be okay. I originally had Pichu there for the sake of bringing it back but then I realized that Dixie would be a much better clone choice and nobody likes Pichu so yeah
Finally, Crash has been swapped for Rayman, since Rayman is more likely than Crash (and Legends was ported to the Switch recently) and I actually played some of his games so I actually know what he would do.

Cuts: :younglinkmelee::pichumelee::squirtle::ivysaur::4miibrawl::4miigun::4miisword:
Feedback will be greatly appriciated.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Real talk though, if they do make that reboot a thing, I hope it's nothing like the original in terms of gameplay. I really hated that game.
Also, considering said reboot doesn't exist, I don't have much material to work with.
View attachment 133394
Added back :4drmario::4lucina::4feroy::4darkpit:. Doc and Pittoo are Luigified and Lucina recives a large moveset change so that she barely resembles Marth anymore. I'd have her and Roy switch places, since Roy would be more simillar to Marth, but it just wouldn't feel right.
:4alph: is an Olimar semi-clone w/ Rock Pikmin instead of Purple and White Pikmin. Specials are the mostly the same but they have some different A-moves. Alph is also lighter and more agile.

Chandelure because it's the best Pokemon and if you disagree you have a **** taste for shock value, and it has a wide variety of moves it has in its disposal. More of a personal bias pick though (those of you who know me would know that).
Chibi Robo was added because his SSF2 moveset was pretty neat. Series is dead but whatever. Kinda filler.
Advance Wars kinda deserves to have a playable character, so I added Andy. Mostly filler.
Sukapon is the "retro" character (though again, it doesn't matter to me much). I know he's Japan-exclusive, but I figured "**** it, he'll be fun, and he's from Nintendo's first fighting game so it's justified". Filler again.
Dixie was scrapped from my original roster in favor of Cranky because she was too simillar to Diddy, but I figured, if I'd intentionally add her as a Semi-clone, it would be okay. I originally had Pichu there for the sake of bringing it back but then I realized that Dixie would be a much better clone choice and nobody likes Pichu so yeah
Finally, Crash has been swapped for Rayman, since Rayman is more likely than Crash (and Legends was ported to the Switch recently) and I actually played some of his games so I actually know what he would do.

Cuts: :younglinkmelee::pichumelee::squirtle::ivysaur::4miibrawl::4miigun::4miisword:
Very well done. Probably pretty close to my dream roster.

I will say though, 3 Donkey Kong Newcomers IS a lot, Chandelure is just odd to me, not a big fan of Waluigi, Rex is kinda jarring, and Shovel Knight wouldn't be my first choice for a Indie but that's opinion.

I did really like your choices for the new franchise representers. Sukapon, Marshall/Chorus Kid, Chibi-robo, Andy, and Isaac are obviously great and of course Spring Man and Inkling are the safest. I would add, myself, Takamaru as a 'Retro' character. Even if he were to replace Sukapon, but that's just me. Of course, it's always nice to see Ridley, K. Rool, and Bandana Dee fit in a roster. And Rayman is an appropriate choice. Ganon is a strange choice as I feel like he isn't entirely necessary, Captain Toad is a good one with him getting his own game and all that, and Cranky is an inspired choice despite the fact that Dixie is, presumably, regulated to clone status here.

And of course Wolf, IC's, and Snake returning is always a no brainier, excellent choice.

D

Deleted member

Very well done. Probably pretty close to my dream roster.
Thanks!
I will say though, 3 Donkey Kong Newcomers IS a lot,
I originally didn't have Dixie there (K. Rool was a no-brainer, and Cranky was added because he's the closest we'd ever get to having Scrooge McDuck in Smash), but I figured she'd be easy semi-clone (I originally had Pichu in the clone row, so... Yeah). Plus, I feel that 5 is a pretty justified number for DK, since it's very important to Nintendo's history.
Chandelure is just odd to me
How dare you
Nah, I expected people to find Chandelure to be an odd pick (part of the reason I added it), but it's more because of Chandelure being my favorite Pokemon of all time.
not a big fan of Waluigi
I added Waluigi mostly because I'm one of those people who really like him, but also because I think he'd be a very unique fighter. He also completes the cast (if you include Peach's newly added Daisy alt).
Rex is kinda jarring
I mostly added Rex because I find him to be likely. And because I'm more likely to play his game than X because I sold my copy of X (I rarely ever use my Wii U anymore, and X seems to be a really long game). He's mostly for filler.
and Shovel Knight wouldn't be my first choice for a Indie but that's opinion.
I see your point. I added Shovel Knight because my friends really want him in, and I love his game myself, so it's kind of a biased pick.
I would add, myself, Takamaru as a 'Retro' character. Even if he were to replace Sukapon, but that's just me.
I decided on Sukapon over Takamaru because Sukapon is from Nintendo's first fighting game, but I can see the appeal of Takamaru.
Ganon is a strange choice as I feel like he isn't entirely necessary
I added him for 2 reasons:
1. I find a new Zelda character to be neccesary, and I don't know who else to add (Part of it comes from the fact I have played very few Zelda games so far, but also because there doesn't seem to be a Zelda character that's people generally agree should be added)
2. I want a Ganondorf that's more faithful to his source material, but I know a lot of people like his current moveset, so I don't want to change it.
Ganon fixes both of these problems.

I hope it helps you understand why I made these choices.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I really wanna make a roster, but I don't want it to look ugly. And it happens that you all are way more skilled in making fancy rosters than me. So I could make one, but it would stick out as an eyesore. Kinda makes me hessistant in making one. Maybe I'll just do a text based one. :rolleyes:

D

Deleted member

I really wanna make a roster, but I don't want it to look ugly. And it happens that you all are way more skilled in making fancy rosters than me. So I could make one, but it would stick out as an eyesore. Kinda makes me hessistant in making one. Maybe I'll just do a text based one. :rolleyes:
Most of us just use the roster maker program.
I suck at making rosters on my own.

D

Deleted member

Oh I downloaded it, but the roster maker doesn't even have all the veterans on it. Which makes it increasingly harder to make a proper roster.
The thread is also the place where most people get the icons they want.
It's where I got the icons for the DLC characters.

StrangeTamer

Smash Cadet
Oh I downloaded it, but the roster maker doesn't even have all the veterans on it. Which makes it increasingly harder to make a proper roster.
What characters do you need icons for? I had to go through the thread to find icons myself, so I may have some you need to make it easier.

FantasticMr.StarPit

Smash Journeyman
View attachment 133394

Chandelure because it's the best Pokemon and if you disagree you have a **** taste for shock value, and it has a wide variety of moves in its disposal. More of a personal bias pick though (those of you who know me would know that).

Not too bad. Though I'm not 100% on a few characters-
Chandelure- Yes he is your personal pick as the fifth generation rep, but for me, I'd rather just wait for a Generation 8 rep from the upcoming Pokemon Switch(Because I know that's gonna happen.) -I'm not a Pokemon fan anyway.
Ridley- He's...just...too...BIG! Understandably he has been in demand for years on end, and as much as I really like him to be in Smash, his size just makes it very unlikely. Don't take it too hard because we sure as hell don't know if he's gonna be in or not. :)
Third-Party Characters: I feel that Mega Man, Pac-Man Ryu, Cloud, Bayonetta and Sonic aren't gonna stay forever imo. Maybe Mega Man, Sonic, and Pac-Man but I feel a few new third party characters are gonna take the scene. (Rayman, Doomguy, Lara Croft, just to name a few. Shovel Knight.....eh I dunno. Its a maybe or not.
Other than that, this isn't bad for what it is. Good job.

Last edited:

LunchmanJ

Smash Journeyman
I'm going with the logic that what really matters and what is most convenient is to have is deserving (by importance), relevant, and recognizable characters. Why not requests? Because any character, if well designed and chosen, can become a highly wanted character. Look at Wolf, the most hated character during Brawl, now an extremely wanted character due to his moveset and deserving nature as Star Fox's villain/rival. Besides, all the requested characters are recognizable and important enough to be in this Smash even if they are a little obscure since we are getting closer to only having obscure one offs as choices.

Moveset potential also doesn't matter because it is the little differences that make you choose one character over another.

With this in mind, here is my Smash 5 roster!

Newcomers:

- Toad (Mario) - There are main Toads (like Blue Toad and Captain Toad), so all you need to do is choose one.
- Pig Ganon (Zelda)*
- Dixie Kong (DK) - Playable character in most DK games since her appearance. Although she does not have the track record of Cranky Kong, her being playable so much really adds to her screen time.
- King K. Rool (DK) - It is important to have some characters that are popular, and given K. Rool's extreme importance as the last main villain available and iconic nature, it's only a matter if time before he returns.
- Inkling (Splatoon)
- Spring Man (ARMS)
- Ridley (Metroid)
- Tom Nook (Animal Crossing) - Animal Crossing should've had this guy in Smash 4. It sells amazing.
- Isabelle (Animal Crossing)
- Isaac (Golden Sun) - Golden Sun could be revived through Smash.

DLC
- Wolf (Star Fox)
- Ice Climbers (Smash)
- Waddle Dee (Kirby) - The Bandanna one.
- Octoling (Splatoon)
- Ribbon Girl (ARMS)
- KK Slider (Animal Crossing)
- Banjo & Kazooie (Third Party)

Now to fix representation

- The weird veterans (Jigglypuff, Roy, Zero Suit Samus, and Sheik) that are minimally important to their series but clearly deserve to be in are now Smash reps. This is because they are deserving and recognizable strictly through Smash.
- Cut Dr. Mario and Dark Pit. Maybe Bayonetta.
- Replace Ganondorf with Pig Ganon. Pig Ganon appears in far more games than Dorf (Ganondorf appears in 6, including remakes) and was revived in Breath of the Wild and Link Between Worlds
- Captain Falcon, Game and Watch, R.O.B., and Duck Hunt are next to each other as Retro characters on the roster but have different logos.
- Yoshi is a Mario rep.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Not too bad. Though I'm not 100% on a few characters-
Chandelure- Yes he is your personal pick as the fifth generation rep, but for me, I'd rather just wait for a Generation 8 rep from the upcoming Pokemon Switch(Because I know that's gonna happen.) -I'm not a Pokemon fan anyway.
Ridley- He's...just...too...BIG! Understandably he has been in demand for years on end, and as much as I really like him to be in Smash, his size just makes it very unlikely. Don't take it too hard because we sure as hell don't know if he's gonna be in or not. :)
Third-Party Characters: I feel that Mega Man, Pac-Man Ryu, Cloud, Bayonetta and Sonic aren't gonna stay forever imo. Maybe Mega Man, Sonic, and Pac-Man but I feel a few new third party characters are gonna take the scene. (Rayman, Doomguy, Lara Croft, just to name a few. Shovel Knight.....eh I dunno. Its a maybe or not.
Other than that, this isn't bad for what it is. Good job.
This is an ideal roster, not a prediction. I think you missed that bit.

But I feel that Sonic, Bayonetta, Pac-Man, Mega Man and Ryu are pretty safe due to their owners' relationship with Nintendo (Bayonetta is owned by Sega just like Sonic, and Ryu is owned by Capcom along with Mega Man). I can see Cloud getting cut but that will make me sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom