• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Early Smash 5 Fan-Made Rosters (Ideal or Prediction)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
THIS IS NOT A THREAD FOR SPECULATION
Responding to rosters are perfectly fine. But there is no reason to be discussing any character in-depth here.

Please take any in-depth posts either in an individual character's thread, or in the general thread
https://smashboards.com/threads/super-smash-bros-for-switch-speculation-discussion.434391/

Got the green light to make this thread from @Mario & Sonic Guy @PushDustIn and @Frostwraith . The previous thread was closed down so I have to ask you guys to follow these guidelines...

1. ABSOLUTELY NO FLAMING!!! Civil discussion/debate of why a certain user picked a certain character is fine but there's a huge difference between a civil discussion/debate and a heated exchange that only leads to users name-calling each other. You will be warned if you flame other members and reported if it continues on and on. I don't want to see this thread get locked like the other one.

2. Respect everyone's opinion and don't undermine others. This is pretty much tying into rule 1 but I felt the need to add this due to certain things happening in this thread.

3. Smash 5 may be a long time down the road (granted if the rumored Smash NX doesn't become the definitive Smash Bros for the NX) but as the title of the thread says these are early fan-made rosters so these rosters are most likely not going to be indicative of the next Smash game's roster. Don't worry about accuracy in your rosters.

4. Your roster can be either based on a fully fledged Smash 5 or the rumored Smash 4 NX port.

5. Please try to label your rosters as ideal or as a prediction. Much less arguments when someone knows your roster isn't meant to be realistic.

That's it. tl: dr don't flame in this thread like the previous one and we're fine. Make rosters to your hearts content!

If you wish to make rosters in that fancy layout some users do, check out this link!
https://smashboards.com/threads/the-super-smash-bros-roster-maker-version-9-1-available.336761/

Last edited by a moderator:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Super Smash Bros N:
15 Newcomers

Golfer

The player character of the NES game "Golf" joins the fight, using different sports equipment from other classics like "Volleyball" and "Baseball"
He's the WFT of this game.

Takamaru
The samurai from Murasame Castle brings the thunder, fire AND sword when he joins the battle.
Completing the Famicom Four, Takamaru serves as a retro character, using his katana for swift strikes and his magic scrolls for heavy blows.

Captain Toad
Captain Toad is ready for adventure!
Captain Toad has proven himself to be a Mario mainstay, so he gets to join.
He has a lousy jump height, but he's both strong and fast on the ground and he can use his various treasure tracking props to take it to the skies in his own ways.

Paper Mario
Paper Mario will rep his own series so I can pretend I actually added new series!
Paper Mario really got to shine this gen with two games on his name.
He'll primarily use copies, stickers and other Paper related stuff.

Inkling
Inkling takes his fresh gear and fighting style to Smash Bros. as the representative for Splatoon.
An agile projectile fighter taking Splatoon's ink mechanics to make Final Destination a whole lot fresher.

Isabelle

Tom Nook

Dixie Kong

Chibi Robo

Lana

Midna

Solgaleo

We don't know anything about him yet, but he's on this roster in a Greninja way.
Greninja made the road clear for starters, and Solgaleo will do the same for legendaries.

Ray-Man

Bandana Dee

Vince

D

Deleted member

Sounds good. Great roster Allright let's gives this a shot.

King K. Rool
The main antagonist of Donkey Kong Country makes his long awaited debut in Smash. He utilizes his different array of personas to deliver a devastating moveset that packs a wallop from his blunderbuss to his boxing gloves, this Kremling King's got moves. He's a heavyweight so he is an easy target but if you make the most of his close and long range tactics you'll have yourself one heck of a great heavyweight character.

Inklings
The main rep for Splatoon makes things stay fresh, from splatter shots, to splat rollers, their versatile and quick. Their ink guage goes down gradually and if it does their attacks have no affect till it refills. Take advantage of this and strike when needed. Inkling Girl would be the default character but Inkling Boy would be an alternate splat the battlefield and have fun with these stylish squids!

Geno
Super Mario Legend of the Seven Stars arguably most popular character, he makes his appearance thanks to the working relationship between Nintendo and Sqaure Enix. Guns, energy blasts and his classic Geno Whirl. He maybe small but he's a force to be reckoned with.

Shovel Knight
The first indie rep for Smash thanks to the working relationship between Nintendo and Yacht Club Games. A new Amiibo just for Smash comes with him. He utilizes his signature shovel blade to dig pitfalls and dig up gems to damage foes, can utilize his relics like dust knuckles and propeller blade to help him out and is a fast ground based character. Areal and long ranged attacks keep him at bay take advantage of this and strike when ready. Steal thy shovel for shovelry!

Bandana Dee
Oh yeah the bandana wearing, spear wielding most badass Waddle Dee makes his appearance in Smash. He utilizes his spear and parasol to deliver devastating and quick close range attacks. #FearTheWaddleDee.

Wolf

Ice Climbers

Dixie Kong

Shantae

Isaac
One of the main protagonists of the Golden Sun series and it's main poster boy. The Mercury earth Dijjin and earth adept brings his signature ground attacks like move, and spire to Smash. He also has sword attacks his young self is his default appearance but his older incarnation is a alternate attire. He's quick and his attacks pack a wallop but areal attacks don't do much damage. Take advantage and make the sun rise again for Golden Suns's golden boy Isaac.

That's all for me. I might do a couple more. Some other time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
EDIT (17/11/2017): This post is over a year old and doesn't reflect what I think now. Please don't quote this post.

My early Smash 5 roster. Will elaborate on the choices that I made here later but if you guys have any questions about this roster feel free to ask me.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703

My early Smash 5 roster. Will elaborate on the choices that I made here later but if you guys have any questions about this roster feel free to ask me.
Alright here's my rationale for all the newcomers and returning veterans.

Newcomers:

New Mario/PKMN Character: Bound to happen really. For the Mario side I could see it being a battle between Geno, Waluigi, and a new Mario character so it's most likely one of those 3. For the PKMN side it's most likely whoever's in the latest Gen of PKMN games.

King K. Rool: Has huge popularity around the world and can very easily be justified as a newcomer despite not being in recent games. Was likely to be one of the Top 3 or Top 5 in the world in the Ballot so he's likely IMO.

Linkle: Personally I would much rather have Young Link return with his MM transformation masks but I can see Sakurai and his team going with a female Link instead for her Crossbow moveset and to represent a female Link which if the rumor's are true about Zelda U is possible to select which gender Link is.

Inklings: Should be fairly obvious. Not a huge fan of Splatoon but the series had a lot of success and it's a given that their going to have a rep in the new Smash Bros game.

Isabelle: I fully expect a 2nd Animal Crossing character in Smash 5 and it's most likely going to be her.

Andy: Intelligent Systems has stated multiple times that the Advance Wars series isn't dead in multiple interviews so I fully expect a new Advance Wars game in 2017 or 2018 which the later year would co-exist with the Wars series 30th anniversary. Any one of those 2 years would be "recent" enough to warrant inclusion in Smash Bros. I guess it'll all depend on who's the main protagonist of the new AW game because they might opt with Will if he returns for AW5 but I think Andy is the best choice to rep the series. He has a unique appearance that aesthetically much different from the other Smash Bros characters and would have a very unique moveset. AW is very overdue for having representation and Andy is the one to rep this series.

Elma: From what I heard Xenoblade Chronicles X is rumored to have a sequel so that could really help Elma's chances of being in the next Smash Bros game. I think Xenoblade is significant enough to warrant a 2nd rep even more so the fact that Elma would have a very unique moveset.

Isaac: Golden Sun is overdue for being represented in Smash Bros just like Advance Wars and who better to rep the series than the mascot of the series himself? Isaac has a lot of popularity in the Smash Bros fanbase and the Ballot may have helped his chances of being included. His moveset potential is virtually endless with the 4 types of Dijin he can use as well as all the Psynergy and Summons that could be incorporated in his moveset. The only problem here is his relevance with Dark Dawn being the latest game released in 2010 and GS4 not seeing the light of day so far but i'm hopeful that the Ballot influenced Nintendo to get Camelot working on a 4th Golden Sun game.

Alph: Becomes a Dr. Mario like clone for Olimar using Rock Pikmin and replaces Dark Pit as the 3rd "full clone" in the game.

Heihachi: Being a Namco character helps him a lot and the fact that having both a Street Fighter and Tekken character in Smash Bros would be huge let alone the fact that they're the mascots for their respective series.

Bomberman: Not a lot of really iconic 3rd party characters on the level of Sonic and Megaman left so Bomberman may be one of the last to be included. I think he can be to Smash 5 what Sonic was to Brawl and what Megaman was to Smash 4.

Returning Vets:

Ice Climbers: Fairly obvious. They were never supposed to be cut if it weren't for the 3DS limitations so coming back is a given.

Wolf: After seeing the fan backlash to his removal I think Sakurai knows he's should bring the character back given the character's popularity.

Snake: All depends on how Nintendo can work things out with Konami but Snake coming back is a huge positive and would make the 3rd party lineup that much better in addition to being heavily requested like Wolf.

Other Notes:

- Game would most likely be released in 2019 or 2020 so pretty much everyone in this roster would be relevant enough by the time of Smash 5.
- Forgot to add a Retro rep in this roster so Takamaru gets squeezed in this roster somehow.
- No one gets cut because I couldn't think of a good reason to cut anyone sans Dark Pit who becomes an alt for Pit.
- Fire Emblem either gets a newcomer at the expense of Corrin or they leave the FE roster from Smash 4 intact with no new additions. I'd prefer the later really only because the roster I have has no one getting cut and that with all the attention and additions FE had in the last Smash Bros game it's fine to just call it a day with that series and leave the series roster as it is.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Alright here's my rationale for all the newcomers and returning veterans.

Newcomers:

New Mario/PKMN Character: Bound to happen really. For the Mario side I could see it being a battle between Geno, Waluigi, and a new Mario character so it's most likely one of those 2. For the PKMN side it's most likely whoever's in the latest Gen of PKMN games.

King K. Rool: Has huge popularity around the world and can very easily be justified as a newcomer despite not being in recent games. Was likely to be one of the Top 3 or Top 5 in the world in the Ballot so he's likely IMO.

Linkle: Personally I would much rather have Young Link return with his MM transformation masks but I can see Sakurai and his team going with a female Link instead for her Crossbow moveset and to represent a female Link which if the rumor's are true about Zelda U is possible to select which gender Link is.

Inklings: Should be fairly obvious. Not a huge fan of Splatoon but the series had a lot of success and it's a given that their going to have a rep in the new Smash Bros game.

Isabelle: I fully expect a 2nd Animal Crossing character in Smash 5 and it's most likely going to be her.

Andy: Intelligent Systems has stated multiple times that the Advance Wars series isn't dead in multiple interviews so I fully expect a new Advance Wars game in 2017 or 2018 which the later year would co-exist with the Wars series 30th anniversary. Any one of those 2 years would be "recent" enough to warrant inclusion in Smash Bros. I guess it'll all depend on who's the main protagonist of the new AW game because they might opt with Will if he returns for AW5 but I think Andy is the best choice to rep the series. He has a unique appearance that aesthetically much different from the other Smash Bros characters and would have a very unique moveset. AW is very overdue for having representation and Andy is the one to rep this series.

Elma: From what I heard Xenoblade Chronicles X is rumored to have a sequel so that could really help Elma's chances of being in the next Smash Bros game. I think Xenoblade is significant enough to warrant a 2nd rep even more so the fact that Elma would have a very unique moveset.

Isaac: Golden Sun is overdue for being represented in Smash Bros just like Advance Wars and who better to rep the series than the mascot of the series himself? Isaac has a lot of popularity in the Smash Bros fanbase and the Ballot may have helped his chances of being included. His moveset potential is virtually endless with the 4 types of Dijin he can use as well as all the Psynergy and Summons that could be incorporated in his moveset. The only problem here is his relevance with Dark Dawn being the latest game released in 2010 and GS4 not seeing the light of day so far but i'm hopeful that the Ballot influenced Nintendo to get Camelot working on a 4th Golden Sun game.

Alph: Becomes a Dr. Mario like clone for Olimar using Rock Pikmin and replaces Dark Pit as the 3rd "full clone" in the game.

Heihachi: Being a Namco character helps him a lot and the fact that having both a Street Fighter and Tekken character in Smash Bros would be huge let alone the fact that they're the mascots for their respective series.

Bomberman: Not a lot of really iconic 3rd party characters on the level of Sonic and Megaman left so Bomberman may be one of the last to be included. I think he can be to Smash 5 what Sonic was to Brawl and what Megaman was to Smash 4.

Returning Vets:

Ice Climbers: Fairly obvious. They were never supposed to be cut if it weren't for the 3DS limitations so coming back is a given.

Wolf: After seeing the fan backlash to his removal I think Sakurai knows he's should bring the character back given the character's popularity.

Snake: All depends on how Nintendo can work things out with Konami but Snake coming back is a huge positive and would make the 3rd party lineup that much better in addition to being heavily requested like Wolf.

Other Notes:

- Game would most likely be released in 2019 or 2020 so pretty much everyone in this roster would be relevant enough by the time of Smash 5.
- Forgot to add a Retro rep in this roster so Takamaru gets squeezed in this roster somehow.
- No one gets cut because I couldn't think of a good reason to cut anyone sans Dark Pit who becomes an alt for Pit.
- Fire Emblem either gets a newcomer at the expense of Corrin or they leave the FE roster from Smash 4 intact with no new additions. I'd prefer the later really only because the roster I have has no one getting cut and that with all the attention and additions FE had in the last Smash Bros game it's fine to just call it a day with that series and leave the series roster as it is.
Very good you described your choices and why you chose them. Good choices I'd love all these characters in the game.

ShovelBear87

Smash Rookie
NNID
LinkFisherman57
3DS FC
1719-4094-5258
I think that there will be no cuts, as I believe Sakurai no longer wants to do that, and that may be why he brought so many back in the Smash 4 DLC. So I think some of the characters brought back in Smash 5 will be:
Ice Climbers- Even if that assumption is false, these guys are a guarantee.
Wolf- Same as Ice Climbers, fan clamoring for this character will bring him back.
Ivysuar
Squirtle
Pichu
Young Link- Maybe with an overhaul using masks, but I'm not getting my hopes up for that.
This only leaves Snake, but due to legal reasons I don't think he'll be back.
I'm pretty sure that the Ballot wasn't only used for one character. I think they are looking at it for future Smash games as well, so I think that popular fan characters are going to be abundant in Smash 5.

Newcomers:
Advance Wars character- Intelligent systems has mentioned before that the the Advance Wars series isn't dead, and if it gets a new game, it would make sense for it to get a Smash rep, and I'm assuming it'll be a new cast, so the main character from that game.
Chorus Men- I believe they were planned for 4, but cut due to technical reasons like Ice Climbers, so it would make sense for them to be the reps in this game.
Inkling- Splatoon was such a success, there is no way they won't be in Smash 5.
Captain Toad- Toad is a major Mario character, and now that he has had his own game and more of a character to him, he makes perfect sense for Smash.
Geno- Sakurai had planned for him to be in previous games, and now that Square is with Smash, he needs to be in it.
Paper Mario- A 3rd Mario rep?! I think that Paper Mario should be it's own series, akin to Wario and DK.
Ashley- Warioware has such a great cast of characters, it really needs another one in Smash. Ashley is very popular in Japan, and would be easy to make a moveset for.
King K. Rool- He was talked about by fans so much during the Ballot, I'd be shocked if Nintendo didn't hear it.
Bandanna Dee- Kirby is Sakurai's baby, and it really needs another rep, and he is the obvious 4th choice.
Sylux- If Metroid Prime 4 rolls around sometime (which if it is going to make $, then it will) then it's primary antagonist is likely to be Sylux, giving him a relevance other Metroid characters really don't have.
Elma- Xenoblade won't get another game for a while, and she was the 'main' character of X, so if Xenoblade got another rep, it would be her.
Tetra- Falling in line with Zelda characters only being Zelda Link or Ganon, Tetra sails into battle. Zelda really needs another rep, and another toon one at that, and tetra would just be so much fun in Smash.
Black Shadow- F-Zero is in desperate need of another character, and if it gets a new game, it would be the perfect time. I see the game as having more of a story focus than previous games, which would heavily feature Black Shadow.
Another Pikmin Captain- From either 4 or maybe a 5 if it happens. They would feature newer Pikmin types like rock, and whatever future games hold.
Eirika, Lyn, or Micaiah- Fire Emblem characters obviously have a presence in Smash, and so expanding to feature the protagonists of other games in the series makes sense. Lyn already features in Smash, Eirika is from a more popular game, and Micaiah doesn't use a sword, so she would stand out more.
A future Fire Emblem protagonist- The main character of the most recent/upcoming Fire Emblem game at the time of Smash 5's release.
Rayman- He has trophies in 4, so obviously the Rayman team is friendly with Smash, and he just really fits in with the rest of the cast.
Shovel Knight- I think he is definitely in the top 5 of the U.S. Ballot, and again, he just fits right in with the roster.

Honorable Mentions:
Isabelle- She didn't make the cut as I feel she doesn't have much moveset potential, and Animal Crossing just seems like a one-rep series right now.
Jeff- Mother needs more characters, and he makes the most sense to me. I feel as though it would be an Earthbound character, and Paula is too similar to Ness and Lucas, they would not add a character named 'Poo', but Jeff has already appeared in Smash as an assist trophy so he would have the best chance. However, I don't feel as though he's prominent enough of a character to get into Smash, maybe if we get a Mother 4, a new rep would be more relevant.
Krystal- She was Left out of SF Zero, and Wolf coming back would fill the Star Fox void.
A Gen 7 or 8 Pokemon- With Pichu, Ivysaur, and Squirtle coming back, another character would really seem like a lot.

Do you feel that this roster is realistic? Feel free to give any comments or critiques!

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Thanks for posting! Liked that you added an AW character since the series is without and deserving of representation and that your choices are balanced with series representation. Here are my nitpicks/criticisms though.
Advance Wars character- Intelligent systems has mentioned before that the the Advance Wars series isn't dead, and if it gets a new game, it would make sense for it to get a Smash rep, and I'm assuming it'll be a new cast, so the main character from that game.
I get what your saying though I doubt it. Andy is the most likely to be the AW rep given how he's the poster boy for the series Think of it like a Fire Emblem situation. Marth's game was out of the limelight during Melee's dev cycle and yet he was still chosen to be in the game in addition to Roy who IS requested be in the game. If it was about getting the most recent character from the series it would be someone like Leif or Siguard instead of Marth yet it was the later. Same thin goes for Advance Wars. Andy was the main focus of the first game and played a big role in the 2nd game in addition to being playable in the 3rd game so it would be a shame if he wasn't the rep for Advance Wars in Smash Bros. TBH though AW fans such as myself are desperate for AW playable representation in Smash Bros so we'll take whatever we can get. I'm just saying that it's natural for Andy to be the one to rep the series.

Also think that Isaac should be in this list. Golden Sun is a very deserving series to be represented in Smash Bros just like Advance Wars and Isaac has a moveset pretty much geared for Smash Bros.
Chorus Men- I believe they were planned for 4, but cut due to technical reasons like Ice Climbers, so it would make sense for them to be the reps in this game.
I think so to though it's not outright confirmed. They do have their series logo in the game and of course the RH enemy in Smash Run. Series is absolutely deserving of being playable though.
Paper Mario- A 3rd Mario rep?! I think that Paper Mario should be it's own series, akin to Wario and DK.
I don't think so IMO. Paper Mario is still a Mario series so it should fall in line with the base Mario series. I think Mario is he one series that can get away with being over represented in Smash Bros.

Also Paper Mario would be a 3rd variation of Mario (nothing alike in moveset of course) and not a 3rd Mario rep.
Isabelle- She didn't make the cut as I feel she doesn't have much moveset potential, and Animal Crossing just seems like a one-rep series right now.
Animal Crossing is deserving of a 2nd rep. Whether it's Isabelle or someone else the series is large enough to warrant another representative. A series like Pikmin IDK about but an Alph Doc-like clone for Olimar would be okay.
Black Shadow- F-Zero is in desperate need of another character, and if it gets a new game, it would be the perfect time. I see the game as having more of a story focus than previous games, which would heavily feature Black Shadow.
IDK about that. As much as I want to see a new F-Zero it's not showing any life of happening and even if it happened IDK if it deserves another rep. Same thing goes for Advance Wars and Golden Sun. Two series I love and want to see playable but having more than 2 reps for these 2 series besides Andy and Isaac is stretching it. I would only want Black Shadow in so he can take Ganondorf's moveset so the later can have his own unique moveset.
Krystal- She was Left out of SF Zero, and Wolf coming back would fill the Star Fox void.
Agree on this. Wolf coming back needs to be a priority over a newcomer Krystal who doesn't even have a role in the latest Star Fox game.
A Gen 7 or 8 Pokemon- With Pichu, Ivysaur, and Squirtle coming back, another character would really seem like a lot.
A new gen PKMN would most likely take priority over the veteran PKMN from Melee and Brawl. Pichu IDK if Sakurai even wants him to come back and Squirtle/Ivysaur both need to come back to feel complete and I don't see both PKMN coming back in the next game.

ShovelBear87

Smash Rookie
NNID
LinkFisherman57
3DS FC
1719-4094-5258
Thanks for the input! I definitely agree with you about Andy, the Marth comparison definitely makes sense here.
Also, I meant to add Isaac, he was on my written list but I forgot to add him to the post, oops.
I definitely see your other criticisms, they are all very logical and I can definitely see them happening.

ShovelBear87

Smash Rookie
NNID
LinkFisherman57
3DS FC
1719-4094-5258
Maybe it's just my personal bias as my 3 best characters are Lucas, Lucina, and Dark Pit. Since 2 of those are highly likely to be cut, I'm a little scared.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Sakurai has never wanted to make cuts, yet he still has to make some at the end of the day. And with more characters, it's going to be nigh impossible to bring everyone back.

:094:
I had a theory that since their porting the Smash Wii U engine early with the Smash NX port that dev time is going to be reduced somewhat when they make a fully-fledged Smash 5 meaning their would be less of an emphasis on that and more on the game itself. I can see a plausible scenario where this is the first game since Melee to not cut a character.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
This would be my ideal roster.

No cuts; not sure if that's particularly realistic or not, but even if I don't like a character, there's bound to be someone out there who does, and I know too well how annoying it is to have a character who you enjoy playing as removed.

Ideally, Ganondorf, Lucina, and Dark Pit would have their moves changed slightly - not so much that it would alienate people who already play as them, but at the very least, Dark Pit and Lucina wouldn't be nearly exact clones, and one of Ganondorf's B moves (either B or B-Down) would be changed to something more suited to how he acts in boss fights.

Also, Wolf, Snake, and Ice Climbers would be brought back. (assuming that the next handheld could handle the ICs) I considered Squirtle and Ivysaur, but I was concerned that it would be too many Pokemon, and the new ones that I added cover a wider variety of generations.

First Party - Returning Series:

Captain Toad: Toad's had a playable role in many Mario games, from Super Mario Bros. 2 to Super Mario 3D World, and I feel like Captain Toad would be a good way to make it so Toad can be playable without having to change Peach's B move.

Dixie Kong: she's clearly a major figure when it comes to the Donkey Kong games - in Rare's Super NES titles, she was playable as many times as Diddy was! I'm honestly surprised that she didn't make it into Smash 4, considering that she was in Tropical Freeze.

King K. Rool: he's clearly the main villain of the Donkey Kong franchise. While Retro tried to do their own thing with the enemies in Returns and Tropical Freeze, the question of "where are the Kremlings?" seemed like one that kept coming up. Plus, all of the boss fights across the series are wildly different, giving him a ton of material to draw from.

Ridley: he's been wanted for over a decade now, at least. He's the most significant character in the Metroid series outside of Samus herself. Plus, it's ridiculous that Smash has gone four games with the only playable Metroid character being Samus, considering how much Metroid has grown as a series since the original Smash Bros. Personally, I think the size problems are overblown, but I'd rather not get into that here.

Midna: while she's only appeared in one mainstream Zelda game, her popularity seems to have endured. She's the only Zelda character to get multiple playable versions in Hyrule Warriors. I considered Impa or Ghirahim for a new Zelda character, but Midna stuck out for me in terms of abilities and how noteworthy she is within the game that she appears in.

Sceptile: due to the timing of Brawl's release, the third generation got more or less ignored; however, after playing Pokken, I feel like Sceptile would work really well as his own character. (Blaziken could also work, but I felt like it would help to have a diverse array of types)

Genesect: I missed out on generation five of Pokemon, but Genesect seems pretty cool in terms of its design and abilities, and a man-made bug type legendary seems pretty unusual as far as Pokemon go.

Bandanna Waddle Dee: he(?) seems to be an increasingly important Kirby character, appearing in games like Kirby Triple Deluxe and Kirby and the Rainbow Curse when even characters like Dedede or Meta Knight miss out. More recently, I considered replacing him with Dark Matter, but it seems like that particular Waddle Dee is becoming a core member of the Kirby cast.

Krystal: aside from acknowledging Rare's contribution to the Star Fox universe, it would be nice to see a Star Fox character with a completely different way of fighting from the others.

Porky: I wanted to add one of the villains that connects the Mother series together, turning into a series instead of a bunch of unrelated games. Between the Earthbound Beginnings version of Giygas and Porky, I figured Porky would be something completely different from what we already have for characters from that series.

Elma: I could have gone with Cross, but Elma seems more like the main character - from what little I've played, Cross comes across as a blank slate, someone for the characters to provide exposition to in order to explain the situation and what the world is like.

First Party - New Series:

Takamaru (The Mysterious Murasame Castle): I only found out about what Takamaru could do recently, but it seems like there's a lot to work with. Between Samurai Warriors 3, Nintendo Land, Smash Bros., and his game getting a release on the 3DS eShop, I'm not sure how well Sakurai's reasoning holds up now, and I feel like he could be added without too much confusion (at the very least, people would be able to play his game if they don't know who he is).

Mike Jones (Star Tropics): Star Tropics seems like a solid game series (there were two of them released on the NES) that doesn't get much attention since it wasn't released in Japan. I'd like to see that changed, kind of like a reverse of Marth's situation.

Sukapon (Joy Mech Fight): Joy Mech Fight was Nintendo's attempt at making their own Street Fighter 2 style game for the NES. With a massive roster (almost 40 characters, which wouldn't be beaten until the fifth King of Fighters game much later), it really showed off what the NES could do at the end of its lifespan. While it was exclusive to Japan, that hasn't stopped them before; besides, I think it would be fitting if Nintendo's first traditional fighter made a comeback in its big fighting game crossover.

Isaac (Golden Sun): not sure how much I need to say at this point. There's a ton that can be worked with, Golden Sun has a decent sized fanbase, and it's weird that almost all traces of the series were removed from Smash 4.

Ray (Custom Robo): see Isaac, though replace "Golden Sun" with "Custom Robo", and remove "almost". Given the various types of weaponry that the characters have in those games, he seems like he'd work well in a game like Smash.

Isa Jo (Sin & Punishment): while Saki could be upgraded from an assist trophy, I went with Isa since his backpack gives him more mobility. The two are pretty much identical otherwise in terms of gameplay.

Inkling (Splatoon): don't think I need to give an explanation at this point - I'd be more surprised if they were left out.

Wonder Red (The Wonderful 101): Bayonetta's inclusion shows how well characters from beat em ups/character action games/spectacle fighters can be incorporated into Smash, and given the various forms that the Wonderful 101 can take, there's no shortage of attacks to work with.

I'm considering replacing either Isa or Mike Jones with Alexandra Roivas from Eternal Darkness, (considering that she's a Nintendo owned character with what looks like a deep magic system, and she's from a genre - survival horror - that Nintendo isn't known for) but I'll have to play Eternal Darkness first. (though I'm sure I could fit one more character in there if I had to)

Third Party:

Rayman: I'm surprised that he wasn't in Smash 4, given that Nintendo got permission from Ubisoft to include him in the game in some form. Rayman Legends, on its own, gives most of his basic attacks, and it's easily one of the best platforms in recent years, if not ever.

Heihachi: I considered Agumon for a second Namco-Bandai character, but Heihachi stood out. Not many villains become the face of their franchise.

Shovel Knight: it seems like Nintendo has a lot of faith in Shovel Knight, considering that an amiibo was made for that game (something that seems pretty rare; otherwise, I feel like we'd see many more third party companies creating amiibo). It would be interesting to see him alongside the characters who inspired him.

EDIT: Added Alexandra to the roster to see how it would look; the question marks are just for random select (and to make it so it's a box).

Last edited:

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
I will show 2 different (not much different) rosters that will support the idea of Smash 5 as a New one and a NX Port. The only difference from the "New" one and the NX Port will be Assist Trophies turning into playable-status. While for some it might look a little bit farfetch'd, I still have to leave out some of my most wanted newcomers (that are not part of this), which amongst are Kamek and Balloon Fighter, which is because I don't see it happening without any evidence leaning towards it.

The Super Smash Bros 5.

Time to explain the newcomers, even though some of them don't really need to be explained.

• Captain Toad will eventually end up as playable. Toad is iconic enough as it is, and with the game itself that Cap Toad has got, I see him most likely have a chance for the next game.
  • Waluigi will also eventually at one point be added to the roster. Sakurai has joked about it before, but one time he got to be serious for once.
  • The last missing star of the Kirby roster, Bandana or Waddle Dee will most likely as well join us soon.
  • Both Dixie Kong and King K. Rool are equally important to the DK line-up, and both are very likeable, and likely to appear in Super Smash at some point, but K. Rool seem to be destined to appear in the next if fan bases means anything to Nintendo (Kruel Costume for the 4th one as example.)
  • Who are you trying to fool? Face the facts... Tingle is undeniably the last remaining recurring character of the Zelda line-up even if you like it or not. When was the last time you saw Impa having her own game? Or Midna and Lana as a recurring character? No... Hyrule Warrior is not a legit answer. :troll:
  • Kid Icarus recieve a lot of love in the Smash series, and for that reason they will most likely spawn a new character, and personally I'm a bit mixed on this one. Both Viridi and Medusa has a fair chance of being picked, but I went with Medusa because she would be the first female villain. (Wendy O Koopa does not count.)

• No. No more Fire Emblem, please.
  • If F-Zero will ever recieve a new character, it will be Samurai Goroh. People can argue all they want about Black Shadow, and Blood Falcon to some lenght, but who is the only other F-Zero character that has been part of Smash since Melee? Goroh. He is the true rival to Falcon, been in the intro with both Ridley and Wolf, as well as recurring Assist Trophy for 2 games. Sakurai sees him as somewhat important.

• Wolf comes back, if any. I'd love to see both Krystal and Slippy as well, but if I'm trying to be realistic it will most likely be Wolf returning.
  • New unreveled Pokémon, most likely the evolution of Rowlet or something. You know, we need that grass, and he can provide flying. :troll: No really, a new gen pokémon, and the Rowlet statement was just a joke.
  • Dark Samus is what I'm leaning towards. At least Sakurai has done something about him, and made her/it stand out as an Assist Trophy in the past.
  • I don't know squatt about Xenoblade, but I hear it has done well, and people talk so much about Elma, and Mecha Fiora that I don't want to pick one.
  • Do I have to say much on Inkling? Splatoon + Popularity + Profit = Smash Ready.
  • Dillon was actually more of a filler than anything to be honest, and might be one my most "shakey/risky" assumptations, but I still see some value in him, plus the Assist Trophy part could have helped him.
  • It was rumoured that a Rhythm Heaven character were at development at some point during Smash 4, and it's understandable that Nintendo want it represented. So why I have Rhythm Girl there, that's only because I like her design over Chorus Kids, but any could go from here.
  • Chibi Robo. I'm sad he is not part of the game yet. Just give me the cute little Robot and I'll shut up.
  • Again as the one above, why Isaac is not in the game yet is pretty weird don't you think? When he was even gone from the Assist Trophy scene we thought for sure he'd be playable... Next time? :/
  • From what I've read, Sakurai have interest in him, and actually considered having him a playable... but for lack of recogni...WHAT? Marth & Roy says hi. Just do it, gamble a bit. (Not Wii Fit god damn obscure gamble, but gamble.)
  • Almost as sad as GoT's Hold the Door moment, Ice Climbers have to come back, they are very unique and loveable!
  • Geno baby. Sakurai want Geno, he has admitted it. So back on the Geno Fever train for the next smash!
  • Where to take the 3rd Parties from here? Bomberman, he is quite iconic, and like Pac-Man has his own genre in term of video games. Rayman and Crash are platform rivals to Mario, both iconic. Last but not least, if you did not notice I cut Doc M, becuase Professor Layton will do better with representing the Puzzle genre (RIP Lip.) so I think it would work out with the current line-up.
and that's a long reasoning's list, and I did not try to start any flame wars, I like mostly all characters, but I tried to reason my picks for these characters, and I hope you respect them as I will respect yours.

Super Smash Bros NX Port.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
So the Smash 4 roster. Including Third Parties.

Return of Ice Climbers
Return of Squirtle
Return of Ivysaur
Return of Wolf
Return/Revamp of Pichu
Return of Snake (Proviso: Metal Gear Collection Released on NX. If not, use his moves to make a faster weaker clone in Inkling. Can do pretty much all those moves).

Bowser Jr. keeps Koopa Lings as alts, but the final smash animation is changed to show them using the scepters from Mario 3 instead of the paintbrush/shadow mario look from Sunshine.

Alts (different text and audio):
Blood Falcon over Captain Falcon
James McCloud (StarFox) over Fox
James McCloud (F-Zero) over Fox
Ninten over Ness
Protoman over Mega Man
Ken over Ryu
Akuma over Ryu
Raichu over Pikachu
Wigglytuff over Jigglypuff

Newcomers:
Luigi-Fides and Clones:
Daisy: Give Peach Luigi's movement physics, replace turnips with Kart parts, Replace Toad with Tatanga or E. Gadd. Final Smash: Daisy Cruiser. She hits them with a luxury liner.
Dixie Kong: Mostly similar to Diddy Kong except her Up B is similar to Donkey Kong.
Doc Louis: Similar to Mac except his B Neutral and B Forward involve his bicycle which he can jump off of Wario style for a better get back game, loses KO Punch. And instead of hitting his opponent with his counter, he eats some chocolate and heals.
Dark Samus: Fights like the assists trophy and Samus.
Tails: Sonic Clone
Birds: Yoshi Clone

Brand New Normal Characters:
Hockey Player: NES Ice Hockey: B Neutral changes Size between the three sizes of the original NES game. Speed and power adjust accordingly with other moves. Final Smash: Zamboni
Vaati: Legend of Zelda series
Fawful: Mario and Luigi series
Keldeo: Pokemon series.
KK Slider: Animal Crossing Series
Azel/Azar: Fire Emblem series, Fire Emblem 4. Best Villain the series made.
King K. Rool: It's good to be the King
Weevil: Metroid Prime Series
Inkling: Splatoon
Bandana Dee: Kirby Series. Fights like Spear Kirby in Kirby the Fighters, or like Bandana Dee in Return to Dreamland.
Bomberman: Third Party
Captain Syrup: Wario series
Ashley: Wario Ware series
Gengar: Pokemon series
Magnus: Kid Icarus series
Pico: F-Zero series
Andy: Advance Wars series
Isaac: Golden Sun Series
Geno: mario RPG
Medusa: Kid Icarus Series
Flying Man: Earthbound Series, plays as a 16 bit sprite
Bonk: Edited in. Cause I forgot Bonk. And then I looked at my avatar and I got sad I forgot Bonk.

Brand new 'handicap' characters: These characters are smaller, weaker, lighter weight clones of existing characters that die earlier and allow better players to handicap themselves to be fairer to their friends.

Mini Mario: The wind up toy
Dry Bones: A skeletal and Frail Bowser
Glass Joe: Lesser Mac
Palutena Soldier: Not so great Pit
Bonkers: Dedede with a standard double jump instead of a float, less HP, and less of a wallop.
Cranky Kong: A really frail and small DK, that's still just as slow.
Primid: It's a Primid. From Subspace Emissary

----others can work.

Brand New 'Boss' Characters: for Gamepad multiplayer. Player with Gamepad has a boss character that uses HP instead of worrying about the ledge, and moves differently, to challenge normal PCs.

Master Hand
Crazy Hand
Tabu
Duon
Galleon
Ridley
Metal Ridley
Giga Bowser
Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
Porky
Kraid
Pig-Ganon
Hades

---others can work.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Here's something to revive this thread. Come up with a roster that totals 70 and doesn't have any cuts. Additionally this roster must have 10 additional characters and 2 full clones like Doc and Lucina. Here's my roster...

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Here's something to revive this thread. Come up with a roster that totals 70 and doesn't have any cuts. Additionally this roster must have 10 additional characters and 2 full clones like Doc and Lucina. Here's my roster...

:4mario::4luigi::4peach:[C!Daisy]:4bowser::rosalina::4bowserjr:[Captain Toad] [Paper Mario] :4yoshi::4wario2::4drmario:
:4dk::4diddy:[Dixie Kong] :4samus::4zss::4kirby::4metaknight::4dedede:[Bandana Dee] :4fox::4falco::wolf:
:4link::4zelda::4ganondorf::4tlink::4sheik:[Zelda]:4marth::4myfriends::4robinm::4lucina::4feroy::4corrin:
:4pikachu::4jigglypuff::4lucario::4greninja::4mewtwo::4charizard:[Pockermon]:4pit::4palutena::4darkpit::4ness::4lucas:
:popo::4duckhunt::4littlemac:[Takamaru] :4falcon::4olimar:[C!Pikmin4Capt.]]:4villagerf:[Isabelle]:4shulk::4wiifit: [Inkling]
:4rob::4gaw::4sonic::4megaman::4pacman:[C!Ms. Pac-Man]:snake::4bayonetta::4cloud:[Jibanyan]:4miif::substitute:

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
This is what I came up with. I already had a 70 character roster, so I only needed to make a few adjustments.

The clones would be Alph (who would be lighter, and would have Winged Pikmin, which make the opponent easier to launch, and Rock Pikmin, which do lots of damage against shields, instead of White and Purple) and Doc Louis. (who would be slower than Little Mac, but his recovery would be a bit better since he invented the technique that Mac uses)

The only changes that I made from my original roster were removing Takamaru, Dixie Kong, and Captain Toad to make room for Roy (the only cut that I previously had) and the two clones.

QuintonShark8714

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Monroeshark8713
Default Roster

Unlockable Characters:
Ness
Falco
Wario
Meta Knight
Lucina
Linkle
King K. Rool

Lucario
Cloud
Black Shadow
Daisy

Roy
R.O.B.
Ganondorf
Mewtwo
Rosalina & Luma
Corrin
Ridley
Mr. Game & Watch
Bowser Jr.
Duck Hunt
Jigglypuff
Toon Link
Wolf
Sukapon

Last edited:

QuintonShark8714

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Monroeshark8713
I don't have Roster Maker on my new computer ATM so you should just download it on this site. It's really easy to do.
unless someone like me have a Mac X OS 6.8 instead of 7.0 or over
because after i downloaded Java which i need for Roster Maker so i can use it
Java worked never freaking worked because i have a Mac X OS 6.8
also i thought you have Roster Maker because i seen your rosters are made by it

Last edited:

MarineIris

Smash Cadet
Non-Smash 4 Characters:
-Snake (Highly requested to return)

-Wolf (Same as Snake)

-Spiky Eared Ukulele Pichu (declined with Iron Tail, Disarming Voice, and Ukulele)

-Black Shadow (replaces Ganondorf)

-Pokémon Trainer (I love transformations!)

-Whitney (Jigglypuff is often criticized for being old news, so I think she should be updated into a stronger time capsule. She joins Whitney's team alongside Miltank and Sudowoodo.)

-Ashley (She's by far the most popular Wario character. She could use magic to make microgame stuff happen and salvage Luigi's old Negative Zone Final Smash.)

-Dixie Kong (One of Brawl's "Forbidden 7" and a Smashified character. Dixie would attack with a variety of barrels, including her vehicle from barrel blast. She could also summon Animal Buddies.)

-King K. Rool (A Smashified character and a top contender from the ballot. K. Rool adds more representation for Donkey Kong.)

-Paper Mario (Tattles from Goombario and Goombella alone would justify Paper Mario's inclusion.)

-Ganondorf (Essentially a newcomer, Ganondorf attacks with his trident and fire bats.)

-Tetra (Also goes by Toon Sheik. She's a second representative for the toon-style Zelda games and Hyrule Warriors. Tetra has appeared in a fair number of games. She could combine her Hyrule Warriors moveset with items from Wind Waker and Four Swords.)

-Sceptile (A Pokémon not from Kanto? I love those! Sceptile is a grass starter and Smashified character.)

-Isabelle (A requisite clone character, Isabelle does everything Villager does.)

-Ridley (The eternal dead horse still conspicuous in his absence. People still bother requesting him, right?)

-Gandrayda (Gandrayda is a selfish inclusion, but she has potential. She can float, slap, and shoot lightning for her regular moves. More tantalizingly, Gandrayda's specials would turn her into other bounty hunters like Rundas, Trace, and Spire.)

-Krystal (A Smashified character and an uncommon Gamecube character. I like magicians.)

-Charlie (A heavier Olimar that fulfills the second clone requirement.)

-Inkling (A game that people liked on the Wii U? It's certainly the most well-received thing there.)

-Shantae (The world's best indie character has been around since the Game Boy Color and graced 4 games. Shantae is also a Smashified character.

Last edited:

FaceOfDays

Smash Rookie
Here's a roster that I made, it has 72 characters (78 with DLC). I don't think that a roster size that big is too unrealistic, and I tried to balance the different series and make as little character cuts as I could.

Here is the default roster.

And the roster with all the characters unlocked.

• Waluigi from the Mario/Wario series would be an interesting newcomer. Using wacky attacks, he could use his sports gear as well as using his long limbs for extra range. He has plenty of fans, and he would complete the "plumber group" of himself, Mario, Luigi, and Wario.
  • King K. Rool from the Donkey Kong series is an extremely requested character. He would be a heavyweight who could pull from across the DKC series and more for attacks. If there was a new DK newcomer, it would either be him for Dixie Kong, and I'd prefer K. Rool for more variety and villains.
  • Skull Kid from the Zelda series would mainly represent his Majora's Mask incarnation. He could use tricky special moves using Majora's Mask, and would be a small, light, and nimble character. His Final Smash would have to be pulling a massive Moon from the sky onto the stage.
  • Ridley from the Metroid series is the most requested character from his series. Metroid fans have been longing for another character, and Ridley would fit the bill well. He would be the tallest character in the game, his wings reaching a little above the top of Bowser. He could use multiple jumps and would have damage-dealing attacks, in exchange for being a large target.
  • A Pokemon from the upcoming Pokemon Sun/Moon would be a logical newcomer. Sceptile would add in a Grass-type starter, but he/she wouldn't represent the newer generation. By adding in a newer Pokemon, Gen 7 would be represented.
  • Waddle Dee from the Kirby series would be the most likely Kirby newcomer. Although Magolor could have more variety, I would imagine that Waddle Dee would be chosen. There's been no Kirby newcomer since Brawl, so I think one would make sense to include.
  • Samurai Goroh from the F-Zero series would finally add in another F-Zero racer. But instead of punches and kicks like Falcon, Samurai Goroh would make use of the long sword that he carries around.
  • The Inkling from Splatoon is a popular request, and they would represent the popular new series. It's a no-brainer to include them in the next game. They could have a diverse moveset that focuses on ink-spraying and taking advantage of it, something we've never seen before.
  • Another newcomer would balance out the character slots to make it a full rectangle. They would represent their own series (Advance Wars?).
  • Isaac from Golden Sun is a requested fighter. I don't know anything about his game, but I'm going to say he can use magical blade attacks(?).
  • Chibi-Robo is an odd choice, but he has properties that could translate to interesting mechanics. His charging ability can be used from a distance to power himself up and make himself faster, and he could shoot electricity from his back plug. His Up B could be throwing the plug towards a ledge.
  • Ray from Custom Robo was a powerful Assist Trophy in Brawl, and I can imagine him using many of those same moves to create a moveset.
  • Wonder Red from The Wonderful 101 would be an action-packed fast character. I haven't played his game, so I can't say much about him.
  • Captain Rainbow would be the strangest character in the whole series. He could be a superhero-type character (like his role in his game) and could be a comic book-inspired fighter. With flashy poses, rainbow-themed attacks, and iconic costumes, Captain Falcon would get quite the rival.
  • Rayman from the Rayman series could use his extendable hands and legs to get an unexpected amount of range. He is one of the more popular 3rd Party requests, and many fans have created movesets for him. He is a possible character, and would fill in the "each new game gets at least one 3rd Party newcomer" theme.
  • And lastly, I brought back Wolf from Brawl, as he is a requested character, and he would add another villain into the game (And yes, he's my main in Brawl, so I have some bias).

And with the DLC...

I think 6 DLC characters are good enough.
  • Dark Pit and Dr. Mario are two veteran clones who would be pretty easy to add to the game. They could have more unique movesets while still resembling their old appearances.
  • Dillon from The Rolling Western series could roll up into a ball on the ground to roll faster and jump higher. He could roll into opponents to deal damage to them and knock them back.
  • The Masked Man from Mother 3 would be a new Mother character, and is popular in the Mother fanbase. He could use all kinds of robotic attachments to attack enemies and to move around. An arm cannon to shoot enemies in from of him, wings to fly around with, and bombs to throw, he could use many moves.
  • Takamaru would be a swordfighter with shuriken. He was supposedly planned to be playable in Smash 4, so plans for him probably still exist.
  • Shantae would be a fun 3rd Party newcomer. Using her hair to attack, she could even transform into animals for her special moves.

Hopefully it's not too unrealistic!

Last edited:

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars

My roster's a bit on the weird side with a couple of choices that aren't realistic given that I'm not in charge, but is still a reasonable roster with a reasonable number of characters, 71, including 23 newcomers and the now returning Wolf and Ice Climbers. However, this also involves the cutting of 10 characters and restructuring of 1. I tend on the more cut-heavy side of things, which you can take as good or bad depending on who you are. Naturally, explanations are below.

Returning Veterans
Wolf
With Star Fox not dead and only having two
representatives as of Smash 4, bringing Wolf back is a natural choice, as the majority of fans already want.

Ice Climbers
As with Wolf, the Ice Climbers have no barriers or reasoning to prevent them from reentering the fight in the next version of Smash Bros, and with such unique characters it would be great to see them make a return.

Newcomers
Captain Toad
Toad is one of the most iconic Mario characters ever created, and has gained even more relevance thanks to his resurgence as Captain Toad.

Kamek
Maybe Kamek has arguable importance as a villain in the Yoshi series, but he still has appeared in almost as many Yoshi games as the dinosaur himself, and has caused the most trouble for Yoshi through out the games.

Captain Syrup
Unfortunately, Captain Syrup's appearances have rapidly decreased over the years, and she does not hold the same relevance as the WarioWare games, but Syrup is still Wario's greatest rival yet.

King K. Rool.

Tingle
Tingle's a popular character, important throughout the Zelda games with distinct powers, and has even started his own game series to draw inspiration from as well.

Lana
While movesets and designs for the Zelda series might take inspiration from Hyrule Warriors, Lana is the embodiment of Hyrule Warriors itself, being one of the handful of original characters created for the game.

Lyn
Likely no longer a relevant choice, but she takes over to represent the 'golden age' of GBA Fire Emblem, as Marth represents early FE, Ike represents the consoles, and Robin takes care of the new games.

Black Knight
The first villain to be represented proper in Smash Bros, this rival of Ike is iconic enough to warrant himself a Mii costume through DLC for Smash 4, and would be an extreme opposite to Marth.

Isaac
A highly requested character and the mascot for Golden Sun, Isaac is a unique RPG character who would make a highly anticipated fighter.

Sami
Intelligent Systems' other tactical IP, Advance Wars, has received representation in Smash before as the Infantry and Tanks Assist Trophy, but definitely warrants a playable character in Smash. While Andy is oft considered the mascot, Sami has both greater moveset potential and has appeared in more games than Andy has.

Meowth
Even disregarding rumors concerning Smash 64, Meowth is among the most iconic Pokemon around, one of the closest things to a true villainous Pokemon thanks to the anime, and with how absurdly many Pokemon there are that would make good fighters, those who are most iconic should take precedent, much like other big series like Mario and Legend of Zelda.

Victini
Victini is distinctly less solid a choice than Meowth, being much less recognizable but still being a great mascot for the fifth generation. Other possible choices would include Zoroark, Diancie, or some human character like the Pokemon Ranger, but this spot is mostly holding off for a fantastic sixth gen Pokemon to take its place.

Bandana Dee
Essentially Bandana Dee rounds out the quartet of main Kirby characters, though being a generic enemy regardless of abilities does hurt its chances a little bit.

Masked Man
With competition from the actually localized Pokey / Porky, the Masked Man is a great antagonist from Mother 3 with a sweet set of moves to draw inspiration from. Should Mother 3 be localized, Masked Man's chances will definitely shoot up.

Anthony Higgs
Go ahead and laugh, but you'll remember him when he's announced for Smash 5.

Ridley
I never expected Ridley to gain playability through ballot, thanks to Pyrosphere, so a new installment (without random boss battles) opens up a new opportunity for Ridley. Of course, he does not hold as much importance as Anthony Higgs does.

Elma
While Xenoblade Chronicles X was not as brilliantly written nor had as memorable characters as its predecessor, Elma does stand out as an interesting design and she has fantastic moveset potential.

Ray Mk III
Custom Robo is a fun and quirky little robot fighting game that's been around for quite a while now, and Ray's existence has been acknowledged in Smash. Whichever version, Ray is a classic choice on fan rosters for years.

Inkling
Needs no explanation, Splatoon is one of Nintendo's biggest games as of late.

Henry Fleming
Codename S.T.E.A.M. is a hilarious game and Henry Fleming is probably the most recognizable character from the game, aside from Abraham Lincoln, and has a unique aesthetic and power set.

Monita
As with Mr. Game & Watch, R.O.B., and Wii Fit Trainer, Monita represents hardware, though she represents a console as a whole, using Nintendo Land minigame abilities as a gamepad, and she's a unique and fun choice to add flair to the roster.

Sukapon
Joy Mech Fight was one of Nintendo's earliest original fighting games, with Sukapon being the reigning champion from the game. With special moves included, and one of the largest selection of characters for a fighting game, Joy Mech Fight holds a special place in Nintendo history.

Simon Belmont
Snake's chances of return are grim, to put it positively, so a more reliable, and closer tied, Konami representative would be Simon Belmont from the Castlevania series. With plenty of abilities to draw from and a unique weapon, Simon is a great choice for a fighter. Biggest issue with him is that so many other third party characters were cut.

Mii
While the Mii isn't a new character concept, this Mii is a preset character who draws from many Nintendo game references like Wii Play, Wii Sports, and similar games. WOuld naturally allow players to use their Miis.

Cut Veterans
Dr. Mario
PhD or not, Dr. Mario is not unique enough of a persona to warrant taking up a character slot (as an alternate costume, however...)

Greninja
While Greninja was cool and unexpected, Greninja does not hold up like the other Pokemon characters have, and his time is simply up for being a hot topic for the series.

Roy
Roy's return was unnecessary, unlike Mewtwo, and while he does have a fairly unique moveset, he represents the least popular of the GBA Fire Emblem games and holds little importance or love outside of Smash Bros.

Lucina
Much like Dr. Mario, having a clone take up a character spot isn't necessary when they could be delegated as an alternate costume.

Corrin
Fire Emblem: Fates didn't catch on nearly as well as Awakening did, and Fire Emblem was grossly oversaturated with characters.

Dark Pit
See Dr. Mario & Lucina.

Pac-Man
After no sign of Snake's return, it seems as though DLC characters may be fair-weather friends, and though some will perservere, like Sonic and Megaman, most may be one-time novelties, similar to other fighting games like Soul Calibur. Even my 3rd party choice Simon I wouldn't expect to get in multiple Smash installments.

Ryu
^

Cloud
^

Bayonetta
^

Mii Fighter
Mii Fighter would be abolished along with custom moves, and replaced by a more consistent Mii character.
Hope my roster is enjoyable! Thanks for the look!

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Sami
Intelligent Systems' other tactical IP, Advance Wars, has received representation in Smash before as the Infantry and Tanks Assist Trophy, but definitely warrants a playable character in Smash. While Andy is oft considered the mascot, Sami has both greater moveset potential and has appeared in more games than Andy has.

Much agreed about AW warranting a playable character but heavily disagree on your claim about Sami having greater moveset potential when that's so far from the truth. Sami specializes in Infantry/Mechs while struggling with Direct combat units where as Andy has no strengths or weaknesses with any unit. Because of that Andy is the jack of all trades and can incorporate any AW unit in to his moveset where as Sami would have to focus on what she specializes in IMO. It would be weird for her to use a tank when that's one of her weak points in AW. Andy also can fight with his wrench and have healing capabilities where as Sami would be a typical gunfighter or even a semi-cloned Snake sorta. Additionally, Andy looks aesthetically a lot different than pretty much every Smash Bros character meaning he would stand out as a fighter.

Andy is much more important than Sami in Advance Wars evident by the fact that he's the only mandatory CO to use in the last mission where as Sami and Max is optional in the last mission. He's pretty much the epicenter of the final conflict in AW2 given that he's the one that engages Sturm and not Sami or Max. You can point to Dual Strike yes but Sami's role was so minimal there that it's hardly worth anything. Andy's still playable in Dual Strike so I don't see why that would matter.

D

Deleted member

Here's my first one, to the date of August the 28th, 2016:
- 12 completely unique newcomers with Paper Mario, K. Rool, Takamaru, Sylux, Isaac, a new Pokémon from the 7th generation onward, Chibi-Robo, Elma, Inkling, Lloyd, Bomberman and Geno, plus Dixie and Black Shadow added as semi-clones of Diddy and Falcon respectively.

- Ganondorf gets a more distinguished moveset from Falcon to the point of being an all new character.

- The Ice Climbers and Wolf make their comeback.

- Konami, after having found the path of reason, allow Snake to come back and brings Bomberman as a newcomer as well.

- Each of the third-party companies (SEGA, Namco-Bandai, Konami, Capcom and Square-Enix) are now repped with 2 characters from 2 of their different franchises instead of only one.

- Lucina is the only one from Smash 4's clone trinity to get the "Falco treatment", and now uses moves involving spears, the other two are either relegated as alts or gone.

- 20 characters have to be unlocked: Jr., Rosalina, Paper Mario, King K. Rool, Mr. Game & Watch, Duck Hunt, R.O.B., Ganondorf, Toon Link, Lucas, Black Shadow, Roy, Lucina, Falco, Wolf, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Greninja, Chibi-Robo, Wii Fit Trainer.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
  1. Mario
  2. Bowser
  3. Donkey Kong
  4. King K. Rool
  5. Link
  6. Ganondorf
  7. Samus
  8. Dark Samus
  9. Kirby
  10. King Dedede
  11. Fox
  12. Wolf
  13. Charizard
  14. Blastoise
  15. Captain Falcon
  16. Black Shadow
  17. Ninten
  18. Giygas
  19. Marth
  20. Medeus
  21. Pit
  22. Medusa
  23. Luigi
  24. King Boo
  25. Diddy Kong
  26. Klubba
  27. Zelda
  28. Agahnim
  29. Chozo Warrior
  30. Sylux
  31. Meta Knight
  32. Dark Matter
  33. Falco
  34. Andross (original form)
  35. Pikachu
  36. Mewtwo
  37. Jody Summer
  38. Samurai Goroh
  39. Ness
  40. Pokey
  41. Lucina
  42. Grima
  43. Lady Palutena
  44. Hades

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
  1. Mario
  2. Bowser
  3. Donkey Kong
  4. King K. Rool
  5. Link
  6. Ganondorf
  7. Samus
  8. Dark Samus
  9. Kirby
  10. King Dedede
  11. Fox
  12. Wolf
  13. Charizard
  14. Blastoise
  15. Captain Falcon
  16. Black Shadow
  17. Ninten
  18. Giygas
  19. Marth
  20. Medeus
  21. Pit
  22. Medusa
  23. Luigi
  24. King Boo
  25. Diddy Kong
  26. Klubba
  27. Zelda
  28. Agahnim
  29. Chozo Warrior
  30. Sylux
  31. Meta Knight
  32. Dark Matter
  33. Falco
  34. Andross (original form)
  35. Pikachu
  36. Mewtwo
  37. Jody Summer
  38. Samurai Goroh
  39. Ness
  40. Pokey
  41. Lucina
  42. Grima
  43. Lady Palutena
  44. Hades
Some organization might make this easier to follow; characters seem to be all over the place. Here's a picture of your roster, in case you'd want it.

I assumed that you meant the Earthbound Beginnings version of Giygas, and I used Robin as a substitute for Grima since the program didn't have Grima by default.

Last edited:

Enzoul

Smash Rookie
OK, for this, I analized Sakurai's choices to determine the likeliest choices for a Smash NX port. So, it might be really controversial.
Enjoy.

I TOLD YOU SO, IT'S CONTROVERSIAL.

-Clones. I wasn't sure about the fate of clones. I first thought they might be relegated to costumes since people received them badly. But Dr. Mario returned in SSB4 and should've return in Brawl. So, I put them in another line with what I think could become clones : Alph and the Octoling.

-2 Splatoon Rep ? And not Elma ? Well, I wasn't sure about this. The Xenoblade franchise is made of two games including a spiritual sequel, and if Xenoblade Chronicles is for me an important game because of what it represents (Operation Rainfall, etc...), Xenoblade X...is just a spiritual successor. So, see it as an Honorable Mention with the Badge Arcade Bunny.

-Why didn't you cut a FE Character/Greninja ? Marth represents the original games, Ike, the Wii era, and Roy was brought back because of fan demand. Robin represents Awakening, an important part of the series : its rebirth when it was gonna die. Corrin is here to symbolize the last game in the franchise. Greninja is a bit like Robin, representing the jump from 2D to 3D in the Pokémon franchise.

Now, for the choices :

-A Mario rep possibly representing the new NX launch Mario title is bound to be in Smash.

-Dixie Kong is here and not K. Rool because she appeared recently : K. Rool is seen as a classic, retro character by Nintendo. Plus, her hitbox would be similar to Diddy's, so she would be easier to develop.

-Ganon is on this roster, yes, because it appeared more times, has more potential and because fans want a decloned Ganonndorf. All the Zelda characters seem to be based on forms of the wielders of the Triforce, so its inclusion would be logical.

-A 7G Pokémon, probably the leaked Rowlet evo would be in
especially because of the unique fact that it is an archer.

-Inklings are of course here to represent Splatoon, but I also took the risk to include the Squid Sisters, as there is a huge focus on them, the fact the final Splatfest featured them, the fact that they have amiibo, costumes in Mario Maker, would be unique, have a...unique personnality and plus, let's be real : we'll probably get a Splatoo port and/or Splatoon 2 on NX.

-Excitebiker is my retro pick : he would be unique, and Excitebike is...everywhere ! Even in MK8 ! He has a costume in Mario Maker and its game was one of the Ambassador...Program...thing's games. And he was considered for Melee.

-Rhythm Heaven will finally have a character, as it should have been according to the code of SSB4. But, I'm doubting on who to pick. Will it be the Chorus Kids with a "trio mechanic" or Karate Joe with a "rhythm mecanic" ?

-Isabelle will become a playable character as she has become an ambassador of Animal Crossing.

-Probably my most controversial pick, Steve? joins the battle in Smash. We need an indie icon, but at the same time, the third-parties need to be legendary, and here we have a compromise, with Steve, which would embodies one of the best-selling games of all time. I know some will doubt that it might happen because Steve seems too...awkward, but don't do the same errors as before Cloud's announcement. Limits are meant to be broken.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Some organization might make this easier to follow; characters seem to be all over the place. Here's a picture of your roster, in case you'd want it.

I assumed that you meant the Earthbound Beginnings version of Giygas, and I used Robin as a substitute for Grima since the program didn't have Grima by default.
Thanks! And yes, I meant Giygas in his humanoid form. I like how you made this list! Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom